Surrendering parental rights

Started by AndyZ, February 23, 2015, 08:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aethereal

QuoteLaws vary from place to place to place.
This. A thousand times this. Let's never forget this.

The loophole of marriage being a prerequisite for being recognized as father is pretty damn bad one. Marriage shouldn't matter at all. And how do you adequately measure contribution, anyway? What if the father wanted to contribute, but was repeatedly told to fuck off and never show his face again? Or the mother was only willing to accept money, which might not even have reached the child? (Let's be honest: monetary payments do not guarantee that the child ever gets anything from it, anyway - there was a nasty story of a mother throwing out the father, then demanding child support, getting it, and drinking it all away and nearly letting her child die not too long ago, for instance...) Or the mother never even informed him of the fact that she carried a pregnancy he did not know existed to term despite him very much wanting a child of his own and being well capable of caring for one? And again, there are cases where man will be struck with child support payments "out of blue" - it may not be terribly common, but it happens. Whether is it taking over the rights or surrendering them, in any case it is a bloody mess.
      Unless you have those people under constant surveillance, it often boils down to word against word, and both males and females are equally likely to lie or speak truth respectively.

DesiArcy

Quote from: AndyZ on February 23, 2015, 08:44:23 PMWe already allow those with uteri to abort fetuses, and every state in America has a "safe haven" law for giving a baby up to the state with no questions asked.  Nebraska has apparently set up the safe haven law for as late as 19 years old.

Point of Correction: That was an unintended loophole in the Nebraska safe haven law; because lawmakers couldn't agree on a specific age limit, they wrote the law to simply apply to "children" and hoped common sense would prevail. This was quickly amended when the media highlighted numerous cases of parents abusing the "safe haven" provisions to abandon older children and teenagers (in most cases those with psychological issues), but a total of 35 older children were abandoned via the loophole during the three month gap (September 1 through November 21) when the original wording was in effect.

The Lovely Tsaritsa

Quote from: DesiArcy on May 08, 2015, 07:59:27 PM
Men have a persistent belief that vasectomies are a perfect guarantee of no pregnancy. This is false; vasectomies have a documented long-term failure rate of about one in two thousand, and a much higher short-term failure rate due to lack of patient compliance with follow-up visits. (The short term failure is because the vasectomy ties off further sperm production but doesn't flush the sperm that has ALREADY passed down the vas deferens; the long term failure is because the vas deferens can potentially heal and reopen).

That may be what happens, with me. If it is, it's my faults for thinking I can't get pregnant, either. I didn't know chances of failure were high, like that.

But I think my baby's father was lying anyway. I found out after I got pregnant that almost everything he told me was lies. He was the piece of work. ::) I think he just didn't want wearing a condom.

I'm glad he didn't want being in my daughters life. The one thing he's honest for being is that he wouldn't be the good father, for her. It's very hard, but I think she's better with me as single mom, even though I know I could be better.