You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 06:14:56 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: The Colors of the Moon  (Read 937 times)

Offline Spookie MonsterTopic starter

The Colors of the Moon
« on: October 14, 2008, 05:39:31 PM »
Is the moon really this colorful?  In a way, yes.  The lunar surface actually does have quite a bit of color, although in reality it is very subtle.  In this photograph, the color saturation has been enhanced to bring out the differences in the colors of the various areas of the surface.  The hues are correct, just much more vivid than we usually see them.

Check out the picture here.  It's pretty cool.  In fact, I can recommend Russell Croman's whole site.

Enjoy!

Spel

Offline Caeli

Re: The Colors of the Moon
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 06:08:33 PM »
Oooh... that's awesome!
Spel, you always find the coolest stuff. :D

Offline The Overlord

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 01:55:42 AM »

A lot of it has to do with contrast; the moon comes out looking to the eye like a mottled collection of light to medium grays, since we're seeing it against the near perfect blackness of space.

But during the Apollo missions ground control commented that astronauts with lunar dust on their suits looked like they've been playing in a coal bin. Likewise, the crews found areas of orange or rust hued soil up there. I don't recall the cause; certainly it's not actually iron rust because that would imply oxidation in a near-vacuum environment, but there is indeed color there.

Offline Vekseid

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 09:58:28 AM »
A significant portion of the Moon's soil is titanium oxide (which is what's used to make marshmallows white). It's important to realize that the moon is quite capable of holding an atmosphere for a billion year or so to allow oxidation to occur.

Offline ShrowdedPoet

• Sexual Deviant
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • Don't tell the pirate that I'm under his bed. . .
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 12:36:27 PM »
Simply beautiful!  Thanks Spel!

Offline The Overlord

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 12:41:08 AM »
It's important to realize that the moon is quite capable of holding an atmosphere for a billion year or so to allow oxidation to occur.

You have a source you're quoting on this? I've never seen anything on the topic to suggest the moon did or could have more than a bare trace atmosphere.

Offline Spookie MonsterTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 06:08:25 PM »
Spel, you always find the coolest stuff. :)

Spel, you always find the coolest stuff. :D

Whoa... déjà vu.  Am I back in the Matrix?

Seriously, Caeli, thanks for the generous words. :)  I'm glad that you enjoyed it!  And thank you, too, ShrowdedPoet; you're welcome indeed! :)

Spel