You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 10, 2016, 10:48:29 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Sha'ib: City of Mazes (Arabian Nights/Fantasy Sandbox LGBT Accepting Characters)  (Read 5333 times)

Offline CrashTopic starter

Possible connections

Crash - Taytu and Devi might know each other from sight, though Devi may be circumspect about a tribeless outcast who can no longer commune with the Ancestors, though she may at the same time respect Taytu's adaptation to Sha'ib. A starting IC thread possibility is on a rooftop somewhere.

Not sure how she will react but I want to find out!  I was thinking rooftop too.

Offline Dhi

I was doing a little reading on the earliest cities while working on my character, and it seems like the door was a delayed addition to Tigris-Euphrates civilization. In lieu of roads, homes would be stacked against each other and neighbors would walk across each other's rooves to reach their own, usually trap door, entrances. In biblical times people would also bathe on their rooftops in a ritual rainwater bath called a mikveh (although all the mikveh I was finding are completely impractical for a rooftop).

Fantasy Arabia is still a largely flat-roofed and closely built civilization, and even though it's long removed from the Tigris-Euphrates, I still see the roof in that social light, like conjoined front porches, a social space.

Online MdG

Not sure how she will react but I want to find out!  I was thinking rooftop too.

I suspect Devi may be in for a bit of a shock.

Also, in practice, inhabitants of cities in the premodern Mediterranean would often sleep on the roof (if they had one), especially in the summer.

Another feature to be considered is civic buildings. Public baths, perhaps, of the Ottoman variety? That should offer plenty of scope for intrigue and smut.

Also, in my character sheet I took the liberty of improvising the currency to be 'dirhams', but am happy to modify if you have different views, Crash.

Offline Sabre

So I sat on the idea for a bit, and looking at the setting and a few proposed characters so far, I think I'd like to go for a recent Djaffir merchant who worships Upuaut. Rather than an established merchant he's more like a peddler moving into Sha'ib with liquid assets or bank notes, enough to nail down tent pegs if not roots, and has in mind an expedition (or several) into the old city depths. Whatever deals and profits he'll make before then are to fund the endeavors, and whatever found in these endeavors can repay costs and fund more expeditions.

Well, I'm talking big pictures, and I'm sure my character will do the same. For the beginning of the game he'll be exploring the surface, and making friends and enemies. I wouldn't mind Sain's suggestion of our characters working together, but should I go with an Upuaut follower than his relationship with a slaver would be contentious at best. They might share a negative connection even over the matter of a slave they both knew (who might also be another character).

I figured there would be baths and I am okay with the dirham as the currency.

Dhi - There will be doors.  The average residency will be flat topped, close together and the roof often used in the summer.

Online MdG

I was doing a little reading on the earliest cities while working on my character, and it seems like the door was a delayed addition to Tigris-Euphrates civilization. In lieu of roads, homes would be stacked against each other and neighbors would walk across each other's rooves to reach their own, usually trap door, entrances. In biblical times people would also bathe on their rooftops in a ritual rainwater bath called a mikveh (although all the mikveh I was finding are completely impractical for a rooftop).

Fantasy Arabia is still a largely flat-roofed and closely built civilization, and even though it's long removed from the Tigris-Euphrates, I still see the roof in that social light, like conjoined front porches, a social space.

The classic, Middle Eastern 'souk' apparently emerged in Late Antiquity when public spaces of the late Roman world, like forums etc., were slowly taken over by merchants, who both traded and lived from increasingly cramped and densely inhabited premises. The classic example given, which I can still recall from my University lectures, is of a Roman city in modern Tunisia where an olive press had been installed in the middle of what used to be a public thoroughfare.  So I imagine the commercial centre of Sha'ib to be a dense, crowded, poorly lit, and exotically scented (and not always necessarily in a good way) place.

IRL, cities became less important as independent entities after the decline of the Roman Empire, so civic construction gradually declined and in many cases was abandoned altogether. Notable exceptions would have been mosques, gardens, and baths.

Crash, I thought I should clarify my thoughts on gender and the Nafasi.  My idea was that the terms 'masculine' and 'feminine' mean nothing to them - biological males and females fulfill certain tasks, such as gathering, herding, hunting etc., and it is these social roles that are 'gendered', independently of the biological sex of the individual who occupies them. So Taytu is surprised that her hard drinking and skirt chasing are considered (particularly) objectionable in Sha'ib because she is biologically female. To the Nafasi, that's a what a rough and tumble young huntress would do.  In this sense, I think her to be a sort of a third gender to use the closest human analogy, who has never experienced any of the societal expectations to which women are subjected in a patriarchal human society. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 11:17:47 PM by MdG »

Online Paladin101

Crash, I thought I should clarify my thoughts on gender and the Nafasi.  My idea was that the terms 'masculine' and 'feminine' mean nothing to them - biological males and females fulfill certain tasks, such as gathering, herding, hunting etc., and it is these social roles that are 'gendered', independently of the biological sex of the individual who occupies them. So Taytu is surprised that her hard drinking and skirt chasing are considered (particularly) objectionable in Sha'ib because she is biologically female. To the Nafasi, that's a what a rough and tumble young huntress would do.  In this sense, I think her to be a sort of a third gender to use the closest human analogy, who has never experienced any of the societal expectations to which women are subjected in a patriarchal human society.

Reading that I just got an image of our two characters sharing a drink in a tavern and acting as wingman/woman for each other as they chase the ladies. lmao

Online MdG

Reading that I just got an image of our two characters sharing a drink in a tavern and acting as wingman/woman for each other as they chase the ladies. lmao

Oh, she'd definitely be keen on that.

That is fine by me.  Traditional hunter gatherers are much more egalitarian when it comes to gender roles, though Nafasi are more pastoralists.  I don't mind them being genderless when it comes to roles.

Offline Amarlo

So I sat on the idea for a bit, and looking at the setting and a few proposed characters so far, I think I'd like to go for a recent Djaffir merchant who worships Upuaut. Rather than an established merchant he's more like a peddler moving into Sha'ib with liquid assets or bank notes, enough to nail down tent pegs if not roots, and has in mind an expedition (or several) into the old city depths. Whatever deals and profits he'll make before then are to fund the endeavors, and whatever found in these endeavors can repay costs and fund more expeditions.

Well, I'm talking big pictures, and I'm sure my character will do the same. For the beginning of the game he'll be exploring the surface, and making friends and enemies. I wouldn't mind Sain's suggestion of our characters working together, but should I go with an Upuaut follower than his relationship with a slaver would be contentious at best. They might share a negative connection even over the matter of a slave they both knew (who might also be another character).

That actually sounds pretty promising if you'd both like to involve my character as said slave connection. I would totally love to volunteer, but if you have something else in mind, don't be afraid to turn me down on my offer xD

Online Paladin101

I am now totally requiring a scene like this happen. lol. I am just picturing their conversations in my head

"Stop it, this is the third time you've tried to lure my girl away from me. There is a whole bar of naive girls curious about the half naked Nafassi, go take one of them and leave at least one to enjoy the pleasures of a man!"   lol

Offline Sabre

That actually sounds pretty promising if you'd both like to involve my character as said slave connection. I would totally love to volunteer, but if you have something else in mind, don't be afraid to turn me down on my offer xD

A shaman seer would be perfect for an excursion through a Sha'ib maze, and I could see my character wanting to buy and free her for the job, only to get outbid! If Sain is on board, I am, too.

Remember there are caverns deep in the walls that surround the city and are a maze of there own along with the Maze under the city that is used as a sewer system.  The walls are pitted with caves that were apparently the dwellings of the original inhabitants of the area.

Offline la dame en noir

• A resident pansexual woman. That weird black girl. The Cosplayer and the Loud Mouth.
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • "Shepard-Commander" - Legion ME2
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
WIP

Name: Oshunmare "Oshun" Aminu
Player: la dame en noir
Concept:  <A short description about who you are:  Cunning Wizir, Dashing Rogue, Dervish of the Sakir Clan, Sand Mage of the Wandering Wastes, Marid-Blooded Merchant, Domadh Lionbrother, Nafasi Questing Warrior>
Trouble:  <Everyone has a trouble. It could be addiction, troublesome family, owing money to the wrong people, arranged marriage, whatever>
Sex: Female
Orientation: Bi-Sexual
On’s:
Off’s:
Race or People: Nafasi

Appearance:
Hair: Black - Her hair is loosely curled and mid back. She often wears it down, head-wrapped or if she's up to it - in small single braids that seem to take forever to finish.
Eyes: Brown with golden speckles. They're an alluring almond shape, which often gives men and women the wrong impression that she is flirting with them. She has long lashes and neatly shaped brows. In conclusion, Oshun's eyes are her most outstanding physical trait.
Height: She stands at a mere 5'7", though her personality makes her seem a lot taller than that.
Weight: Oshun is rather fit,toned - she's about 140 lbs at best.

Description: Oshun is a beautiful woman, standing at 5'7" and a body that never seems to miss a day working out. Her eyes are catlike, almond shaped and mimic the color of the earth and pure gold. Her skin is a deep brown color, unblemished and soft to the touch. She has long toned legs and slender arms that give her a very graceful and elegant look. Oshun's black hair sometimes looks like a dark brown in the sun, which she takes most of her time to care of on a daily. She is an average woman to some and to others, quite the looker.

One Unique Thing: <Tell me one unique thing about your character.  This shouldn't be anything powerful.  Just something Unique about you>

Personality:

Skills: <Give approximately 5 skills your character is good at>

Residence: <Tent, house in Sha'ib, Shop...etc>

History: <At least 3 paragraphs>

Equipment:

Offline la dame en noir

• A resident pansexual woman. That weird black girl. The Cosplayer and the Loud Mouth.
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
Would it be okay to have Oshun be a dancer?

Offline Amarlo

I'd be surprised if the Nefasi didn't have dancers for a variety of ritualistic festivities and celebrations!

Offline la dame en noir

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
I'd be surprised if the Nefasi didn't have dancers for a variety of ritualistic festivities and celebrations!

I guess so! :3 I'm just trying to figure out what sort of background to give Oshun - so if I have the okay for that title then I have a character :D

Online Sain

Amarlo and Sabre, that arrangement sounds quite nice. Zidir hasn't been that bad to his slaves in a while, but he could still certainly be annoying to trade with if you get on his bad side. Maybe him and [insert Sabre's characters name] had some small bad encounter even before he came to buy the slave and then it just escalated during negotiations later that night. Maybe he got N’ebthe for some ridiculous overprice or perhaps even failed to acquire it and is now planning on some other way to obtain said slave as Zidir refuses to make a reasonably priced offer for him for personal reasons.

Sain Taytu and Zidir may be vaguely aware of each other's Ifrit 'taint', though they may fear each other because of it (that and Taytu cannot quite understand the concept of slavery and cannot understand why anyone would allow herself to be owned like a Basuro). Taytu certainly has an ambivalent relationship with the Ifrit who bound her and may be curious to know if Zidir knows anything that might help her.

That should be fun. Zidir could see some ways to exploit her curiosity and he could probably be pretty convincing at pretending to know something of value. Alternatively, if we want to add in some of the jinn stuff more into the game maybe his old family could have some useful records of efreeti. Zidir might not even know of it himself so could be a case of her having heard some rumor regarding the bright eyed men of Sha'ib knowing of their ancestors and then just finding that the current family head is utterly oblivious to any such thing.

Offline Amarlo

Amarlo and Sabre, that arrangement sounds quite nice. Zidir hasn't been that bad to his slaves in a while, but he could still certainly be annoying to trade with if you get on his bad side. Maybe him and [insert Sabre's characters name] had some small bad encounter even before he came to buy the slave and then it just escalated during negotiations later that night. Maybe he got N’ebthe for some ridiculous overprice or perhaps even failed to acquire it and is now planning on some other way to obtain said slave as Zidir refuses to make a reasonably priced offer for him for personal reasons.

That should be fun. Zidir could see some ways to exploit her curiosity and he could probably be pretty convincing at pretending to know something of value. Alternatively, if we want to add in some of the jinn stuff more into the game maybe his old family could have some useful records of efreeti. Zidir might not even know of it himself so could be a case of her having heard some rumor regarding the bright eyed men of Sha'ib knowing of their ancestors and then just finding that the current family head is utterly oblivious to any such thing.

Great! Either of you can feel free to message me if you want to plot. Maybe we can get some preestablished rp going. :)

Would it be okay to have Oshun be a dancer?

They wouldn't have a profession of dancer in Nafasi culture, but there are certainly tribal dances and she could be known as a wonderful tribal dancer or where you refer to her dancing in Sha'ib?

Offline la dame en noir

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
They wouldn't have a profession of dancer in Nafasi culture, but there are certainly tribal dances and she could be known as a wonderful tribal dancer or where you refer to her dancing in Sha'ib?

Yes

She could have easily taken a job as a dancer.  Andy Nafasi or Domadh would have to find a way to live in Sha'ib so it is possible that she is a dancer.  She could even learn some of the traditional Bedu belly dances.

Offline la dame en noir

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
She could have easily taken a job as a dancer.  Andy Nafasi or Domadh would have to find a way to live in Sha'ib so it is possible that she is a dancer.  She could even learn some of the traditional Bedu belly dances.

Then it has been decided and I shall have the character finished tonight.

More of an NPC but I am going to add him to the list of characters.

Name: Sifiso
Player: Crash
Concept:  Captain of the Ingonyame
Trouble:  Sifiso never expected to live into old age and as he enters his later life he finds his introspection can lead to depression.
Sex: Male
Orientation: Hetero
On’s: Players On’s
Off’s: Players Off’s
Race or People: Domadh

Appearance:
Hair: Light Brown/Dyed Red Mohawk
Eyes: Reflective Green
Height: 7’0”
Weight: 290 lbs

Description: Sifiso would be an elder of his Khan were his life not saved by the Sultan when he was young.  Age however has not slowed Sifiso.  He may be showing the slight gathering of weight that good food and old age brings, but there are few as strong, wily and tough as the veteran of the Ingonyame Guard.  His long limbs are as thick as cypress trunks and his skill with the scimitar is unmatched.  Like all of the guard he maintains the Domadh warrior Mohawk mane dyed red with his shaved scalp.  His age is shown by the white hair about his lips, and chin.  The fur on his belly has changed as well with white outnumbering the tan of youth.

One Unique Thing: Sifiso was rescued by the Sultan when they were both young men and Sifiso gave the young Sultan a life debt in return.  He served as a guide and bodyguard to the Sultan for many years. 

Personality: Sifiso is dedicated to the safety of Sha’ib and the current Sultan.  He is serious and severe when dealing with his own soldiers as befitting a Chief of the Khans, though he has no royal blood.  Away from work he is introspective, even philosophical.  Sifiso does enjoy his drink be it coffee or the strong, gruel-like alcohol urwaga that is brewed by he and his men.  Sifiso can surprise others with his intelligence in council and his kindness around children despite his fierce look.

Skills: Scimitar (Two-Handed) combat,  Unarmed Combat, Military Tactics, Drinking, Tracking

Residence: Ingonyame Guard barracks near the Trail of Sighs.

History: When Sifiso was a young warrior he found himself separated from his Khan on a scouting mission against a tribe of Gnolls.  He was ambushed by a group of warriors and rescued by a caravan lead by the young Sultan of Sha’ib.  Thankful and ashamed Sifiso granted the Sultan a life debt. 

Since that time Sifiso has served as a scout in the Sultan’s army, his personal body guard and a captain of the city guard.  As more young Domadh came to Sha’ib, Sifiso gathered them and trained them in the arts of Hadaree warfare and technology.  The Sultan formed the Ingonyame Guard from these lone Domadh and placed Sifiso in charge of their training.  The Ingonyame Guard is known and feared by the enemies of Sha’ib.  They have fought off Bedu raiders, Domadh Khans and even an invasion of Undead from Hekata.  They are highly decorated servants and warriors.

All of the Ingonyame Guard have converted to the worship of Asaheem, though their worship would be looked upon as heresy by the clerics if not for the Sultan’s protection as they incorporate the rites of their ancestors into the worship of the Jann of Light and Air.

Equipment:
Scimitar (Two Handed)
Curved Daggers
Lacquered Armor
Supplies as needed from Armory.

Offline yesiroleplay

Did you get my PM a couple of days ago Crash?