Interest Check, AD&D 2nd Ed.

Started by Blinkin, February 18, 2015, 08:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah Morgan

This could be a fun and interesting concept, assuming the link given earlier has the books in an accessible format, or I can find another place to get them fairly cheaply.  Being visually impaired, I always worry about electronic/digital files being readable by my speech program I use.  I'll take a look at the link, and give this some thought over the weekend.  It's interesting that I recently started going to my college RP group a couple of weeks ago, and that it happens to be scheduled for Fridays.  I'm not involved in any games as of yet, but a friend is playing in a Byzantium World of Darkness setting, so as of now I'm just going to listen.  Someone's supposedly working on getting a D&D 5th edition game going, but I haven't heard anything concrete, so who knows if it'll actually get off the ground.  This sounds like a unique and fun concept though, so hopefully it progresses further.

Muse

If anyone needs any help wthi the mechanics when we get to that, please feel free to call upon me. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Blinkin

Miroque: What is Amiko's residency status? I'm a little confused by whether she is an American with a very traditional Japanese-American family, or a Japanese national or a foreign student studying abroad. Naturally, all of the characters have to be attending the same college/university and I just want to make sure where she is. I'm not sure that "Losing face" is particularly appropriate reason to kill someone; It's awefully easy to overcome that level on a day-to-day basis as a teenager as it is. Imagine all of the killing sprees that might happen over a fairly minor episode of getting a question wrong in class, as an example. Can you define it further? One big thing that you should be aware of; I do include racial factors in my games. I know many don't and either gloss over it or dismiss it. But, if you play a drow, expect to see the distrust and biases that surface dwellers have toward drow. If you're ok with that, then I won't have any issue with the racial type.

Tonberryshuffle: No worries, there isn't a deadline or rush to get anything posted. I'm just trying to get an idea of what interested parties would want to play.

Muse: Aside from missing a few things that I asked for, there is no such animal as too much information. I will not disuade anyone from playing a spell-caster, but there is a reason for the question about religious beliefs. If you want to play a cleric, PM me.     As far as the dieties used, that is as good of a pantheon as any.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Miroque

douh...

Amiko is american born., her parents are immigrants from Japan.. So she's native to States. About Losing face , I ment total ridiculing. and yes, she thinks that is crime to kill for, but she will not act the impulses, just that she COULD kill for that...
What comes a to "drow" racial animosities, im all for that. Thats why I posted the drow character idea for.

@Muse: and yes, of course she was forced to learn piano.. .but she hates that :)
I was thinking her father was form old money, say, minor offshoot of Mitsubishi clan, that toke huge after WW2, and carries old samurai ethics still.

Hope this clarifies things?

Green Goo Theory

How deeply do the real world characters get into the lives of the game characters.  Racial/gender swapping?  Complete understanding of what they may know such as martial arts they don't normally know?  Or memories from the point of view of the character instead of just from the view of the writer/creator?

It would kind of alter the way I build the real-world character.  I'm really toying with the idea of unintentional gender bending.  Hopefully it's not an overused idea for this RP also.
Coming soon...

Muse

Last time we trie this I played a guy--who had no idea how to fight--and wound up inhabiting a girl.   

I only gave J.T. martial arts because i built her by looking at some RL people I know and saying--as a creative writing exercise--"What would their kids be like?" 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Blinkin

Quote from: Sarah Morgan on February 27, 2015, 02:02:41 PM
This could be a fun and interesting concept, assuming the link given earlier has the books in an accessible format, or I can find another place to get them fairly cheaply.  Being visually impaired, I always worry about electronic/digital files being readable by my speech program I use.  I'll take a look at the link, and give this some thought over the weekend.  It's interesting that I recently started going to my college RP group a couple of weeks ago, and that it happens to be scheduled for Fridays.  I'm not involved in any games as of yet, but a friend is playing in a Byzantium World of Darkness setting, so as of now I'm just going to listen.  Someone's supposedly working on getting a D&D 5th edition game going, but I haven't heard anything concrete, so who knows if it'll actually get off the ground.  This sounds like a unique and fun concept though, so hopefully it progresses further.

I apologize for missing this yesterday.

4shared.com has all of the 2nd edition handbooks (There are a lot of them) in a PDF format that my screen reader (Jaws 12) has no problem reading. All you really need is the players handbook and it details just about everything that you might need. The other resources, the race guides, class guides and so on adds to the handbook and expands on various facets, but you don't really need them.

Contact me via PM, and if you can't find the handbook or a particular suppliment, I can try to work something out.

Quote from: Miroque on February 27, 2015, 08:58:46 PM
douh...

Amiko is american born., her parents are immigrants from Japan.. So she's native to States. About Losing face , I ment total ridiculing. and yes, she thinks that is crime to kill for, but she will not act the impulses, just that she COULD kill for that...
What comes a to "drow" racial animosities, im all for that. Thats why I posted the drow character idea for.

@Muse: and yes, of course she was forced to learn piano.. .but she hates that :)
I was thinking her father was form old money, say, minor offshoot of Mitsubishi clan, that toke huge after WW2, and carries old samurai ethics still.

Hope this clarifies things?

It helps alot, yes. I think I see what you are getting at. What I'm getting at is the limit, the level of event that pushes a modern person over the edge and act with letal intent as opposed to "I could kill him, but I won't because I restrain myself." What breaks that restraint.

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on February 27, 2015, 11:14:33 PM
How deeply do the real world characters get into the lives of the game characters.  Racial/gender swapping?  Complete understanding of what they may know such as martial arts they don't normally know?  Or memories from the point of view of the character instead of just from the view of the writer/creator?

It would kind of alter the way I build the real-world character.  I'm really toying with the idea of unintentional gender bending.  Hopefully it's not an overused idea for this RP also.

How deeply the college students get into their characters is up to you. I have actually played with people who get so deeply into their characters that their entire mode of expression becomes different and have backgrounds so intricate that it fills a 3 ring binder and never stops growing. I've also played with people who make up whole combat styles for the character. Sometimes, this is just a major pain in the ass for the GM, sometimes it adds to the overall sessions in fun ways.

How things will happen is a little different than the last two attempts because it was a little too complicated. The college students will be dropped into the bodies of their characters. The fanntasy character will have muscle memories of many things that they do that the college student may not understand or be able to do at all. Few people in today's world, even role-players, actually understand how a sword is actually used in battle. I've seen reenactments in Europe that employed  and demenstrated many of the ways that the broadsword was used in battle... all I'll say is that the blade is only half of the weapon  and arm use is less than half of the body used. There really aren't rules for a lot of what I've seen, but then, combat has few actual rules.

So, to answer the question as best as I can. The college student may know how to code in C++, the fantasy character may know how to shoe a horse. The two combined will know both in theory... but not understand how they know. As far as gender goes, it usually happens in one way or another. I'll only ask that if you want to do it, be prepared for the differences that will suddenly become very relevant.

"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Sarah Morgan

I looked at the link that was shared for the books, and so far they seem to be accessible, at least the PHB, though it's necessary to read them online through the website.  I'll check out the other option, and see if I can't get actual PDF copies, for offline reading purposes, and to have backup copies.  Thanks for the suggestion, and no worries about missing my post.

On another note, and just to clarify, but when you ask about religious preference, are you asking for the student player's, their character's, or both?  My understanding was that it was for the D&D character, but I've seen people answering for both, so I just wanted to make sure I'm understanding the question fully.

Blinkin

The questionaire, for lack of a better word, is strictly for the college student. The AD&D character's information will come in a few days.

As a note to everyone, the more information that you are willing to provide overall, the better I can build and offer a story suited toward what you would want to see.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Green Goo Theory

Name:
Jason Loughty

Sex:
Male

Sexual Orientation:
Straight

Major/Minor:
Anthropology/Geology

Personality:
Jasons something of a recluce due to a distinct lack of confidence.  He can hardly speak to a girl and will hardly stand up for himself.  In extreme cases he's even apologized when someone else was the one to bump into him.  He's been attempting to build it up unsuccessfully to better handle conflict.

Hobbies, interest and/or “things they like to do”:
Rock collecting, Geo Caching, Firearms enthusiast, Netflix Binging, Tabletop Gaming, Violin, Writing

Fears, phobias and/or “Things that they don’t like”:
Drugs, His family, Alcohol, getting lost in the wilderness, spiders (Drow by extension!  As a joke)

Brief Background:
On the outside Jason's family was perfect. Suburban home on the high end of middle class.  Average family size, perfectly behaved dogs, and a neighborhood most anyone could consider safe enough to walk down the streets at night.  Every closet has its skeleton, though. 

His father had a traveling job and his mother was little more than a husk by his teenage years having succumbed to prescription drugs and alcohol.  This left he and his two siblings free run more of the time.  Neglect is as potent to children as abuse and Jason's family was no exception.  His brother and sister both followed much harsher paths and even to this day his brother remains in prison.

Jason had succumbed to fictional worlds to escape. He also vowed to avoid the same mistakes. 

Tell me about the character that they play.:
Jason takes a very odd approach to character building.  He may start with an idea but he feels that the character should be treated on some level like a living being and can be built in a much more organic fashion.  He's even built characters entirely from a collection of dice rolls with tid-bits included in adlib fashion.  Once a starting point has been made he feels he can write in the gaps to finally bring life to the character.

(Actual crunch details to be determined with more information on available materials)

What, out side of self-defense, might push the character to take a life?
The defense of others.  Also, he may be pushed into action if ever someone were to attempt to sway his mind whether through intentional drugging, magic, etc. 

How does the character deal with stress and/or anxiety?
Reading and music.

Does the character have a religious belief system? How strong/weak is that faith? (Note: I am not asking for specifics, only a broad viewpoint)
He's not sure he could believe in anything that runs the world the way it is.

How deeply has the character gotten into the personality/life of their RPG character?
Jason has actually written several novelettes and journals about his characters or from their perspective.  To him tabletop games aren't for fun but a method of escaping reality to some degree.  He at some point hopes to turn these collections into novels. 

Is there anything that the character places particular importance in? (This can be an object, a code, a  interest, etc.)
Personal strength.

Name one thing that the character will not abide (Remember, this is a 21st century person, so “Slavery” will not fit without some considerable explaining)
As indicated above drug abuse and willingness for addiction.

Name one thing that the character fears beyond all others.
Losing his own mind and inhibitions to an outside influence (in game terms could even be a spell for the RPG character).
Coming soon...

Muse

I like Jason allready.  I think J.T. will like him too.  She'll probably think he's a really fun guy worth bringing out of his shell.  She'll also probably have a protective older sister vibe. 

I wouldn't sugest it wtih so many girl players coming in, but I can see Jason crushing on J.T., and it never crossing J.T.'s mind that Jason was a guy until the things that happen to him in the new world bring him out of his shell.  Then JT. would have a sudden moment of, "Why the hell didn't I jump this guys bones the first day we met?"

*laughs* 

Of course, J.T. can also very easily fit the roll of the tom boy who spends all her time with a group of guys who never her see her as anything other than one of the boys who happens to have boobs.  Occasionalay good fro an ogle but not someone they'd ever date.

Muse

Oh, Ton. 

I know Blinkin didn't put out a querry about appearnce, but you've got a good image there. I think he merits description for our most beneficent G.O.D.  : )

(I'll do it if you prefer.)

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: Muse on March 01, 2015, 01:08:50 AM
  I like Jason allready.  I think J.T. will like him too.  She'll probably think he's a really fun guy worth bringing out of his shell.  She'll also probably have a protective older sister vibe. 

I wouldn't sugest it wtih so many girl players coming in, but I can see Jason crushing on J.T., and it never crossing J.T.'s mind that Jason was a guy until the things that happen to him in the new world bring him out of his shell.  Then JT. would have a sudden moment of, "Why the hell didn't I jump this guys bones the first day we met?"

*laughs* 

Of course, J.T. can also very easily fit the roll of the tom boy who spends all her time with a group of guys who never her see her as anything other than one of the boys who happens to have boobs.  Occasionalay good fro an ogle but not someone they'd ever date.

Perfect.  Not for Jason of course but the writing potential there is awesome from my standpoint. 

Oh God, no..  I hope I don't turn into the Marvel writers with Jason being being my Spiderman....  I don't want to torture him that much.

Quote from: Muse on March 01, 2015, 01:13:08 AM
Oh, Ton. 

I know Blinkin didn't put out a querry about appearnce, but you've got a good image there. I think he merits description for our most beneficent G.O.D.  : )

(I'll do it if you prefer.)

Maybe it's just how late it is for me, lack of sleep, etc...but I don't think I'm reading that right.  Could you rephrase it, please? 
Coming soon...

Blinkin

Just as a note, when I ask you to tell me about the fantasy character that you intend to play, I would like to know something about the character in specific. IE: The race, sex, potential class, the personality or outlook of said character. Somethng to give me an idea of what you want to play.

The game will require a thief, I know that in D&D 3+, "rogues" are next to useless and no one likes to play them, but in 2nd Ed, they were actually useful and usually valuable parts of any adventuring party.

In the same sense, if I just see a bunch of spell casters, well, that would probably be... hard on the characters.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: Blinkin on March 01, 2015, 04:55:14 AM
Just as a note, when I ask you to tell me about the fantasy character that you intend to play, I would like to know something about the character in specific. IE: The race, sex, potential class, the personality or outlook of said character. Somethng to give me an idea of what you want to play.

The game will require a thief, I know that in D&D 3+, "rogues" are next to useless and no one likes to play them, but in 2nd Ed, they were actually useful and usually valuable parts of any adventuring party.

In the same sense, if I just see a bunch of spell casters, well, that would probably be... hard on the characters.

Honestly, I can't answer that without some more information on available material or the kind of world that would be used.  Not every DM's a fan of the setting whose material is among my favorite, soooo....
Coming soon...

Muse

Name: Jacey Talia “J.T.” Kirk

Sexual Orientation: Bisexual

Major/Minor: Creative Writing/Humanities

Distinguishing Features/Marks: Waves of silky golden brown hair, kiss me lips, sweet brown eyes, and a hard but curvy body make J.T. look  more like a cosplay model than a normal gamer when she goes out of her way to look sharp.  She was once mistaken for one at a con, and has been blushing about it ever since. 

Background and personality: J.T.’s parents were divorced--messily--while she was still in the womb, but she was raised by her father David from the age of 3.  David suffered from bouts of depression but he was serious about staying medicated.  He was gentle hearted and responsible and loved his daughter very much.  Having a child to care for proved to be very good for him and he cared for her as best as he could. 
   Having a dependent upped David’s welfare check.  He supplemented that meager income by writing and self-publishing pen and paper role playing games and fantasy novels.  As J.T. grew more self reliant, they took martial arts together.  As badly as he struggled to make it otherwise, J.T. took as much care of David as he took of her, but he still gave J.T. a pleasant childhood environment.  J.T. got along very well with her father--most of the time.  His keen interest in her life gave her a personal tutor to help with her studies and someone to take martial arts with.  She joined his table top RPG group when she was old enough, and they vegged out with video games together. 
   When J.T. found herself chafing under the constant attention from an authority figure, she would take her skateboard and her cellular phone down to the park.  Most of her friends her own age were skaters.  (A few stoners included.  She didn't smoke, but she didn't rat them out either, so they got along.)  Her father’s smothering did affect her relationships with boys--and girls--quite a bit though.  So far she’s not had more than a few kisses with the boys who've interested her.  Until recently she had a girlfriend and innocently explored a bit further with her. 
   J.T. has now graduated and been accepted into Cal Tech.  Concern for leaving her father alone has made her decide to delay college a year.  She worked hard this summer as a cashier at Gamestop--a pretty face and bright smile can do a lot to get you a hotly contested job. 
Noteworthy Skills: Academically rounded, bilingual (English and Spanish), martial arts, skater. 

Things J.T. Likes to do. 
   Cooking: Growing up J.T. Had to cook anything more complicated than a sandwich most days.  She got very good at it, though she's been dubious about this aptitude since she discovered she inherited it from her mother. 
   Creative writing: J.T. began with fan fiction and character histories, and started working on original stories at 13. 
   Critical Thinking and Philosophy: When J.T. reads  a story or watches a movies, she immerses herself in it, but afterward likes to talk about it in fashions her English professors approve of.  Her ideals occasionally motivate her to speak out on politics or become involved in philanthropy.  She's starting to become jaded about politics, but still keeps informed and votes. 
   Dogs
   Martial Arts
   Prime time anime
   Skateboarding: Her favorite hobby and the number one thing she does when she's not doing stuff with her dad. 
   Spending time with her father.  (They have a lot in common.) 
   Video Games

Fears, phobias, and things disliked.
   Though she has little awareness of the woman, J.T. is vaguely resentful of her mother.  She's inclined to say that she's not happy with how Shana treated her father, but deep inside she knows that David is over her and it's really about her own insecurities. 
   J. T. has an allergy to poultry. 
   J. T. fears junebugs and cicadas.  Curiously, bugs that can actually hurt her don't bother her once she's identified them.  She doesn't remember the source of this phobia. 
   If J.T.'s nightmares are to be believed, her two biggest fears are public nudity and tooth loss. 

Will be playing:
   Aileeana Kennelwise, Silverstar of Selune. 
   Aileeana's father—Tamsen--was Master of the Hounds for Count Raoden Elan.  When Aileeana left to join the priesthood, her father gave her a puppy, whom is now a grown and well trained war dog and among her fastest friends, “My magnificent hound, Thadius Tate.” 
   Aileeana spent three years—from age 14 to 17—studying in a remote monastery as a Silvertar of Selune.  Since then, she and Thadius Tate have traveled the world, opposing the forces of darkness and despair and protecting those who work honestly at night.  Aileeana fights with a Moon's Hand Mace, a targe, and a sling, along with the magic that Selune grants her.  She focused somewhat on her martial training early on.  (If the game allows, she may have dual classed form 2-3 levels of fighter into Silverstar.) 

What, out side of self-defense, might push the character to take a life?
   Having studied martial arts from a young age, J.T. takes violence very seriously.  She knows  how fragile a human being can be, how to harm and how to subdue.  JT has had a few occasions too hold a bully or outraged classmate on the ground with in an arm lock 'til the school authorities arrived to take things in hand—both in her own defense and that of others. 
   As a gamer, J.T. has given thought to what is worth fighting for.  She has read Freud's social philosophies and agrees with the general principle that in the jungle life is brutal, ugly and quick.  In order to gain the benefits of civilized society, certain inclinations—such as vigilante justice and revenge—must be sacrificed. 
   That doesn't change the fact that she doesn't like to see innocents suffer.  In the schoolyard, J.T. Fought with her fists and her skills to put and end to petty cruelty.  In the jungle, she may well find that she's more than willing to fight with her sword to protect against the same. 

How does the character deal with stress and/or anxiety?
   J.T.'s best way of dealing with a bad day is to go for a long skate.  She finds comfort in the sound of concrete beneath her wheels.   She finds clarity—and a vent for pent up adrenaline—in lip tricks, slides, and grinds. 
   After a while of this, she likes to snuggle up in bed with a few plushies and a good fantasy novel. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skateboarding_trick

Does the character have a religious belief system? How strong/weak is that faith?
   J. T. is spiritually inclusive and nominally Episcopalian.  While going to church as a child didn't do much for her—God is on the night wind and in the human imagination, not in hymns and prayers—she had found attending the Episcopal student ministry to be an enlightening and spiritual experience.  She gets to socialize with intelligent and creative people, sci fi, philosophy, religion, and football.  She finds it both academically uplifting and a way to make God's presence felt in her own life. 
   J. T. is especially appreciative of the Book of Common Prayer for New Zeland. 

How deeply has the character gotten into the personality/life of their RPG character?
   Being a pen and paper gamer first and foremost, she’s put a lot of thought into her character.  She has several pictures of her character, some done by her father, others commissioned from professional and semi-professional artists. 

Is there anything that the character places particular importance in? (This can be an object, a code, a  interest, etc.)
   J.T's most precious belongings include an autographed copy of the RPG books her father wrote: High Valor and Hearts and Souls.  She also has an old shirt of his she sleeps in, and a raggedy old plush dog. 
   Other precious possessions include her back belt and the skateboard she bought for herself after high school by working at Game Stop, and a 2nd place trophy from a skating exhibition. 
   J.T. Loves dogs, especially big dogs. 

Name one thing that the character will not abide. 
   Bullies, book burning, and prejudice. 

Name one thing that the character fears beyond all others.
   Long term loss of her physical or mental facilities. (AKA, becoming paralyzed or brain damaged.) 

Blinkin

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on March 01, 2015, 05:07:24 AM
Honestly, I can't answer that without some more information on available material or the kind of world that would be used.  Not every DM's a fan of the setting whose material is among my favorite, soooo....

I'm not trying to be a pain about this, but you can't come up with something basic without knowing character generation?

The setting is a generic fantasy world, think Forgotten realms or Dragon Lance if you like, although it will not be either in specific. And no, no Kinders. ;0) I'll also not accept any pscionist either.

The material allowed will be the player's handbook and the various racial and class guides. That will probably be more than enough to come up with a character concept.

If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer in more depth but I want to focus on the college students at this point because they are the backbone of the story.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Green Goo Theory

I wasn't trying to be difficult either.  Sorry.

Honestly, probably leaning towards a Bard.  Especially if some of the cooler kits are allowed. 
Coming soon...

deadmanshand

Just saw this idea and I am all over this but I am not going to attempt a character write up until I've rested and achieved some level of proper consciousness. I admit to some curiosity as to the kinds of kits allowed. Not looking for anything specific. Just curious to see what your thoughts are on basic kits to more esoteric classes like Wild Mage or Shiar. There is at most some vague idea tumbling around my sleep deprived mind of a med student playing an Anatomist Kit Necromancer.

Blinkin

As mentioned before, any of the 2nd edition source guides, like the "complete" guides, the racial guides and so on are on the table. As long as you don't go way, way, way out there, I'll consider it.

The party looks like it's going to be fairly heavy on magic-users of various types. I'm not saying that a necromancer wouldn't be an option, but unlike 3.X, a party of spell slingers will have distinct disadvantages.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Miroque

as people are already making ideas of their characters, I think my drow F/M is going to be Bladesinger (kit) to give some of that frintline goodness for us aswell.. slinging spells and slicing with sword.

Muse

Bladesingers are 12 kinds of awesome.  Up to blinkin if the Drow have any in his setting.  ^_^;; 

Blinkin

Considering the character's seemingly low threshold to kill, the 12 kinds of awesome of the bladesinger kit and the normal drow perks, it may be a bit much. I am willing to be convinced if you want to make an argument on why it wouldn't be too much.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

To be fair, Blinkin, you really come across with that question as looking for killers.  *Sweat drop* 

Miroque

Bladesingers maybe 12types of awesome, but I can only count to 4 ... and takent hey have (d10+d4)/2 + Con HPs.. .not that hard to kill...

Reason I was thinking of Bladesinger, is cause they have semi tanking ability in this group without that much tanking potential. Or do we have Cleric? (that is the uber class in 2ed, evn without kits)
Specialty priests were THE power to be ... Drows atleast pay double Xp for their awesomeness.. (and multiclass drows even more...)