You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 02:13:23 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Movies You Feel Bad About Not Liking?  (Read 2718 times)

Offline Sabby

Re: Movies You Feel Bad About Not Liking?
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 01:50:25 PM »
I don't ever feel like I have to like a movie just because it's well regarded, so I don't really feel any obligation to like or even appreciate it. I've tried maybe 4 times to watch Blade Runner, and I haven't even been able to finish it.

There are movies I wanted to like but didn't. Do those count? Because Mortal Kombat: Annihilation and Prometheus fit that criteria.

Online Lux12

• Eccentric Occult Glam Agent of The Unknowable.
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 01:57:20 PM »
For me, it's some of the horror classics.

For once, I've long heard how The Exorcist is one of the finest horror movies out there. Finally, I've watched it two years ago... and it really disappointed me. I actually found that movie boring...

As odd as it sounds, The Exorcist came off as more of a comedy with serious moments to me. I don't know what it was, but it made me laugh more than anything.

Then there's The Ring for me when it comes to horror. I watched and felt severely underwhelmed. People spoke of it as if it were this terrifying masterpiece and when I saw it, it felt like I was watching simplistic ghost flick with little in the way of truly frightening content. When I looked into the source material, it seemed like something I should have liked, but the way they handled just didn't do much. To be honest, it was more unnerving to me as a trailer and it felt like I should have been more terrified, but it wasn't the shocking fear fest I had hoped for. People made it out to be so disturbing and I simply couldn't be as terrified as I had hoped.

Offline Beorning

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 02:53:03 PM »
Out of curiosity: have you seen the American remake of The Ring, or the Japanese original? I've seen both and I think that the original movie is superior. It really did scare me!

Offline Rolo

• ~Her Amor~Wolf Admirer~Thinking of Sin~Practicing eating Fire~Seriously Jaded~ ~Reading a Gypsy Post~
  • Permabanned
  • Addict
  • Give me your love and I will give you the world.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 03:04:14 PM »
Mine isn't so much a detest as I don't get it.  Training Day.  A decent movie all in all....but Oscar worthy for Denzel?  Not that I don't feel that he is Oscar worthy but for that role?  I didn't get it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:09:00 AM by Rolo »

Online Lux12

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »
Out of curiosity: have you seen the American remake of The Ring, or the Japanese original? I've seen both and I think that the original movie is superior. It really did scare me!
The American remake.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2015, 03:59:46 PM »
Also pretty much any movie that thinks taking off a girls glasses makes her instantly hot. Like with the glasses there is no way a woman can be a sex kitten. Hello?! The sexy librarian...hell the baroness...she made glasses and leather look hot together. I would like to think I can pull off the hot bitch with or with out my glasses lol. But I have been told there is something about a woman looking at you with lust in her eyes staring at you over your glasses.(maybe this is just me?)

I have a theory on the 'looking over the glasses' technique.  (Speaking as someone who can't make out that you're holding up fingers without mine, let alone tell you how many.)

Eyes are the windows to the soul (as someone once said.)  Glasses form a barrier to some extent.  Looking over them is sort of giving the other person the feeling that they are seeing past the barrier, but not the full extent of what is inside.  This applies to both the 'lustful glance' and the 'I'm going to whack your knuckles with a ruler' glance.

Offline Hemingway

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2015, 06:28:05 PM »
The Godfather, and Scarface. I actually watched those back-to-back with a friend several years ago, and I couldn't understand what the big deal was. It's possible my attitude would have changed if I re-watched them today, but I have very little desire to do so.

Offline Sabby

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2015, 06:48:29 PM »
Scarface is another I just couldn't get into. It's a serviceable crime lord film, but the ending is fantastic, enough so that I'd recommend the movie just for the conclusion. Tony Montana is basically Icarus.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 06:51:38 PM by Sabby »

Offline Uebelator

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 02:30:44 AM »
Mine is so much a detest as I don't get it.  Training Day.  A decent movie all in all....but Oscar worthy for Denzel?  Not that I don't feel that he is Oscar worthy but for that role?  I didn't get it.

Same here with Gladiator. Dont get me wrong, the movie was okay, but I never got the hype around it. And an Oscar for Russel Crowe? For what? Grunting and sweating? Especially when he was up against Tom Hanks, Ed harris and Geoffrey Rush.

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 08:33:49 AM »
Clerks or anything by Kevin Smith. I just don't think it's for my generation. :P
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:41:50 AM by Inkidu »

Offline Uebelator

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2015, 08:38:57 AM »
Clerks or anything by Kevin James. I just don't think it's for my generation. :P

Haha, seem like its not. His name is Kevin Smith. Kevin James was that fat comedy guy driving for UPS. ;)

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2015, 08:42:21 AM »
Haha, seem like its not. His name is Kevin Smith. Kevin James was that fat comedy guy driving for UPS. ;)
Thanks for the catch. XP

Offline Uebelator

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 08:44:39 AM »
My pleasure!  ;D

Offline SapphireStar

• Dark Lady of Nuttiness, Slayer of the Monster Writerblock, Elven Lady of Light, Defender of the FluffyOnes
  • Lady
  • Addict
  • Sex is emotion in motion.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 07:23:53 PM »
Underworld: Evolution

Liked the action. But, found Michael to be a bit annoying.

Offline Drake Valentine

• Architect of Worlds
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • Making Your Darkest of Fantasies a Reality
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2015, 08:17:27 PM »
The Ring, The Grudge, Dark Water, One Missed Call.

Offline Inkidu

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 08:24:36 PM »
The Ring, The Grudge, Dark Water, One Missed Call.
I tend to not like a lot of J-Horror either.

Offline Drake Valentine

• Architect of Worlds
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2015, 08:34:35 PM »
I tend to not like a lot of J-Horror either.

Except those are rebooted American Horror ones.

I heard Rinju and Jun-go(think Grudge was called) was better in their Jap versions.

Not sure of the other two.

Offline Beorning

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2015, 08:57:46 PM »
The Japanese version of The Ring was better indeed. I don't know about The Grudge, as I have seen only the American version. But I actually liked that version... which was actually directed by the director of the original movie.

As for Dark Water, I haven't seen the American version, but the Japanese version is quite fine. Although it's a bit too similar to The Ring...

Offline Drake Valentine

• Architect of Worlds
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2015, 09:07:36 PM »
The Japanese version of The Ring was better indeed. I don't know about The Grudge, as I have seen only the American version. But I actually liked that version... which was actually directed by the director of the original movie.

As for Dark Water, I haven't seen the American version, but the Japanese version is quite fine. Although it's a bit too similar to The Ring...

Grudge wasn't really that scary when I saw it. I mean, maybe freakiest part was with girl, but otherwise not too terrifying over all. Also Japanese version is Ju-On(which from reviews I had read it was much more scarier/frightening equivalent from remake.)

Also something else interesting I discover is that Ju-On is actually the third installment of the series. The other ones were Ju-On The Curse and Ju-On the Curse 2. Both of which were never released in America and were only available In Japan, Germany, and two other countries. Might see if I can find translated English-subtitled stream version somewhere.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 09:08:50 PM by Drake Valentine »

Online Lux12

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2015, 04:59:06 PM »

Kind of reminds me of The Eye. They turned what was essentially a good ghost story/drama into a bad attempt at horror. The original wasn't terrifying, but it made for a decent supernatural drama. The remake had no such success.

Offline Inkidu

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2015, 05:56:26 PM »
I figured you might be talking about the remakes, and I tend to not like those or the originals. I just don't like the Japanese supernatural stuff. It's too unfair for my American tastes I think. I like a lot of their non-supernatural horror though.

Audition ooh, just makes me come out of my skin.

Offline Deamonbane

• A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • Make me smile...
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2015, 06:28:50 PM »
I am of the opinion that 95% of the world's fucked up shit comes from Japan... And the rest is just remakes of Japanese stuff.

Offline RedPhoenix

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2015, 07:49:28 PM »
American History X.

I know I'm supposed to love this movie because apparently liking this movie and disliking racism are the same thing but...no. The delivery was as preachy as it was hamfisted the plot was B movie quality at best and Ed Norton twisting his face up when he speaks is not the same thing as acting.

Offline Combicon

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2015, 08:55:01 PM »
The Grand Budaphest Hotel.
I really like Wes Anderson's style, it's really unique and instantly recognisable. But this one? It just felt a little too much like Fantastic Mr Fox for me. There were shots that were basically copy pasted from one to the other. While this might be the same in other Anderson films, I've found it harder to notice in other films.

On the other end of the spectrum:
zombies zombies zombies.
About a group of strippers defending themselves against hoards of zombies. What's not to love?
Everything, as it turns out. This is the only film that I've not been able to sit through.

And somewhere in between:
The 2Fast series. The first few were passable, but after that? It just got ridiculous.

Offline Uebelator

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2015, 02:51:51 AM »
The 2Fast series. The first few were passable, but after that? It just got ridiculous.

The 2Fast series is actually one I feel good about not liking.  ;D