Iron Kingdoms RPG (Closed...for now)

Started by Crash, January 01, 2015, 08:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Miroque

*pulls out her anti-reaper gun from her locker in Firefly*

Muse

Character Name: Vyslav Nikolavich
Race or Ethnicity: Of mixed Khard and Skirov stock, Vyslav takes after his Khardish grandfather, while his father Nikolai is more Skirov in appearance and faith. 
Sex: Male
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual and adventurous. 
Proposed Careers: Gun Mage/Duelist

Concept and Background:  "Papa Nikolai never did forgive grandpa Sergei for letting uncle Yuri run off with those crazy bounty hunters. 

“When they  brought Yuri back to be buried, they said he was a hero.  They said that he'd been alone in Ekatnava when four frost trolls smashed in the gates.  They said they found him, mortally wounded, over the corpse of three of them, and the fourth was limping away without an eye. 

“Papa tried to throw grandpa's old magelock pistol into the mill pond so that none of his family could ever learn to use it again.  Sergei wasn't having any of that.  There was a huge row and they didn't talk to each other for a year. 

“I was just a little kid then, but I  knew that pistol was something special.  Uncle Yuri was a hero in his blood and bone, but that pistol made him something more than just a brave man willing to die to save a hundred women and children. 

“It made him strong enough to fight four frost trolls all by himself.  I had to know how. 

“This wasn't a very easy thing to find out with my pa on such a rampage, but get a little hard cider into some old men and they'll start to talk.  Come to find out Grandpa had been an officer in the Prince's army back in the day.  He showed up in town a long time ago with that old magelock and a nice sword.  He hunted a bunch of nasty things normal folks were too terrified to hunt.  The Petrus paid him for every head.  Grandpa gambled some, and he drank some, and he whored some, but after every bounty a few coins disappeared into Grandpa's secret store. 

“One day a thing that was all teeth and fur took a bite out of his right wrist too big for doctors or minor priests to mend,

“Grandpa shot the thing with his left.  He shot it again and again until it run off and no one's seen it since.  Then he took that secret stash of his—seven socks bulging with gold—and he bought him a grain mill.  He owns it to this day, though Pa runs the place now. 

“Long story short, I'm the youngest of three brothers and four sister.  For that matter, Yuri's bastard kid's named in Grandpa's will too.  There's not enough of that mill to share with me. 

“But I don't want it.  I want that old magelock.” 

I'm not sure what else to add at this point, but I'd love to provide something more.  Let me know if I can make my application more appealing or do something to add to the setting. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Crash

Muse - What you have is fine.  As for other stuff I am still looking for people, places and businesses of interest.

All - This is my first day back at work and back at school so I will check in throughout the day and try to have an idea of final characters tonight.  I will keep everyone else up to date if a player drops.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

TheGlyphstone

Crime

Thankfully for the quality of the Nynsk city guard, their opposite numbers are generally of similar quality. There is very little persistent local crime in Nynsk - the closest the town sees on a predictable basis is the Polzin family's strongarm business tactics. Nearly all the criminals are seasonal visitors - bandits, thieves, and pickpockets who follow the summer trade routes along with the traders that they prey on. The handful of competent guardsmen have their work cut out for them during the busy months, but things always quiet down when the snows start to fall and the lawbreakers head south behind their victims. Not even Nynsk lies beyond the reach of the bratyas, of course, but here their hand takes the form of the aptly-named and perpetually cranky Grim Fyodor. He is there to relay messages for and from the kayazy; but in the absence of any serious crime to organize, he spends most of his time drinking cheap liquor in the bar and privately cursing his bad luck at irritating the underboss and being assigned to what he considers a backcountry dungheap. The rest of the time, he spends drinking cheap liquor and praising his good luck at surviving the underboss's irritation.

MdG

Apologies for the late expression of interest, Crash, but are you still recruiting? If you are, I would certainly be interested in joining, though please note that I am a newcomer to the IK setting, and not quite au fait with the world / feel, though the Russian / Slavonic element intrigues me.

Crash

Thank you all for your interest.  I have chosen Muse for the final spot.  I just feel his character fits in the best with the other concepts that I have approved.  I will keep a list of everyone that was interested and if anyone drops I will see if you are still interested in the game.

I know the Hordes book will be releasing this year and I will likely be running a game with that when it is released, so this won't be the last IKRPG.  You are all welcome to continue to participate in the world building aspect of the game in the World Building forum.  You have had some wonderful ideas and again I thank you all for your interest.  I am sorry I could not take everyone.

-Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Crash

Those players that have been accepted.  Please post your character sheets in the OOC thread and work on them there until they are finalized and you can move them to the Approved Character Thread.  I will start to focus on getting backgrounds between characters once they start getting finalized.

RedMoon

I just want to approve of your choice of locations. KHADOR IS STRONGEST.

TheGlyphstone

In the meantime, go ahead and take my character as an NPC. He's tied into several of the town's NPCs already, and it'll make potentially integrating him into the story easier later on.

Crash

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 05, 2015, 08:07:59 PM
In the meantime, go ahead and take my character as an NPC. He's tied into several of the town's NPCs already, and it'll make potentially integrating him into the story easier later on.

Thanks Glyphstone.  I appreciate that and will certainly do so.  You are more than welcome to help develop the City still.  You have written up some great stuff.

Quote from: RedMoon on January 05, 2015, 08:05:50 PM
I just want to approve of your choice of locations. KHADOR IS STRONGEST.

I want to show a side of Khador away from the Boris and Natasha bad guy army I feel they are sometimes portrayed as.

RedMoon

Quote from: Crash on January 05, 2015, 08:17:06 PM
I want to show a side of Khador away from the Boris and Natasha bad guy army I feel they are sometimes portrayed as.

I agree. Sure, they may be a little bit expansionist, and a little aggressive, and maybe a little callous about human lives in military campaigns, but, it's hard to label them as evil when there are undead dragon cults that want to eat the souls of everyone in the world. It's all relative.

TheGlyphstone

Frankly, if anyone needs 'humanizing', its the Protectorate of Menoth. I've yet to see anything that makes them look good.

RedMoon

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 05, 2015, 08:27:47 PM
Frankly, if anyone needs 'humanizing', its the Protectorate of Menoth. I've yet to see anything that makes them look good.

Whaaat? But they're doing the work of the Lord! They're saving your soul by crucifying you and setting you on fire. It's a noble cause.

Crash

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 05, 2015, 08:27:47 PM

Another reason I wanted to use Khador.  I like that the Menites in Khador are not zealots.  I think that is why the Protectorate gets a bad wrap.  It is hard to make zealots seem like good guys.

Tackyhillbilly

Also, cause of the whole 'betrayed Cygnar completely' thing.

Frankly, my opinion is the only good guys of the setting who exist as an organized government are the Dwarves.

TheGlyphstone

I'm sure when their book comes out they will be revealed to have some twisted, dark secret that they keep hidden from the world.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)