Making a website

Started by persephone325, December 21, 2014, 06:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

Down to business.

My dad is a DJ and line dance instructor. This treats him so well that he's actually able to retire from his job two years early. (January 20th. YAY!!) He's been talking about creating his own website so people can find him, he can post dance videos, track where he'll be, etc. I want to help him out as much as I can, because I like dancing and teaching as well. I also help him DJ.

So, I was wondering what some of the better website creators are? I hear a lot about Intuit, but I know there are others out there. I don't think money will be an issue. But, just in case, if anyone knows of any good free ones that are really good as well (and can later be paid for to get your own domain name, if that makes any sense) I'd really appreciate it. ^^
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

consortium11

One of the simplest to use is actually Wordpress.

It's most well known for its functionality as a blog but its rather simple to use static pages (i.e. a page that remains in place even as new content is posted) to turn it into a more conventional website. It's very simple and intuitive to use (I'm basically website creation illiterate and I've got the hang of it) and if you ever do struggle with anything there are huge amounts of help, advice and FAQs out there.

You can go about getting one in two ways. The first is to use the free service Wordpress themselves offer (wordpress.com). This gives you a website (normally websitename.wordpress.com which you can later pay a small amount to convert into a simple websitename.com (or other .whatever) and gives you quite a lot of tools to customise the look and functionality. The other option is to use Wordpress's tools to build a website on a domain you already known (wordpress.org). This is a bit more complex and involves some costs (as you need your own domain to begin with) but offers more advanced controls of the looks and more options to monetize your content (not that that seems to be a concern for you).

A basic wordpress.com account seems like a good starting point to me; it costs little more than your time, it's easy to use and you can quite quickly see if it fills your needs; if it does you can either convert the name to a .com or get a .com of your own and use the wordpress.org tools to copy the website over. If it doesn't then you haven't lost anything.

Vekseid

Quote from: persephone325 on December 21, 2014, 06:40:21 PM
Down to business.

My dad is a DJ and line dance instructor. This treats him so well that he's actually able to retire from his job two years early. (January 20th. YAY!!) He's been talking about creating his own website so people can find him, he can post dance videos, track where he'll be, etc. I want to help him out as much as I can, because I like dancing and teaching as well. I also help him DJ.

So, I was wondering what some of the better website creators are? I hear a lot about Intuit, but I know there are others out there. I don't think money will be an issue. But, just in case, if anyone knows of any good free ones that are really good as well (and can later be paid for to get your own domain name, if that makes any sense) I'd really appreciate it. ^^

What sort of website do you want, exactly?

persephone325

Quote from: Vekseid on December 21, 2014, 09:42:12 PM
What sort of website do you want, exactly?

My dad wants a website where he can post videos, announcements, locations where he'll be. Those are the main things he wants, that I can remember right now.

Something similar to this: http://www.dancingwithpatti.com/

But less cluttered, and more... user friendly I guess is the term?
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."