Pirates!!! Interest thread

Started by Verasaille, November 28, 2014, 03:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verasaille

Hello all you swabbies. I am looking for some pirates and the idea I have basically is off a commercial I love about Captain Morgan rum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy1qPipCcx4

Now I am going to switch it up a bit and I need some more ideas to plot this out.  I was thinking of the treasure we might be after. Perhaps the famous pirate Blackbeard had a huge treasure that he had hidden somewhere in the Caribbean islands. Of course what plot would there be seeking treasure without a map?

We need a Port for Captain Morgan, I think if we use Port Royal in Jamaica it would be fine. We do not need to be historically accurate. It's just a nice place and I like the idea we can have natural disaster type things as well as sea battles!

So the famous Captain Morgan was a real person and I found a historical documentary that was quite interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18JWX2GdBNA

So my question is of course who might be interested in participating? I have a role chosen for myself a tavern wench who has a good idea where the treasure lies. Now all I need are some pirates seeking the famed treasure!
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Nikolaus

Okay, so I would like to participate. Below is one of my ideas.

The Captain(s) [I'd say maybe 3 at max as far as Captains go.] meet up with a drunkard that was formerly of Blackbeard's crew where he spills the beans on the said treasure and how to go about finding a map for it. However, he leaves out the detail that said woman [or women] don said map upon their skin. So, with them being pirates and such, they take the drunkard at his word and begin searching for woman [women] with only two clues. A possible location and a minimal description of what the drunkard could muster out before falling out of wake and become passed out.

OR

Same thing as before, but instead of halves or thirds of a map upon the skin of different women, one could be fake, while the other is real.

Verasaille

Don't want to get too complicated. I am intending on playing maybe two parts for this. One is a thief who used to be a part of the Blackbeard's crew. He is not enough of a leader to have his own ship so he is basically a snitch and he also wants part of the treasure. He know some things but not all. And he is good at finding things out. So he will be searching the entire pirate world trying to find more clues.

I am thinking there should be an Inn on some island that all pirates go to from time to time. It is a hidden cove and it is supposed to be a pirates Sanctuary. But even there no one trusts anyone else. So bribery and thievery are common as well as wenching and drinking and gambling. I think I will call it Pegleg Dan's. It will be like a central place to meet and plot. Large hotel like structure with rooms for rent and of course food and drink.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Scribbles

I have a bit of an "out there" idea for a character, let me know if it's possible...

Camille d'Aubigné is a recently appointed agent of the French throne, one whose primary role is to fulfil tasks which are important enough to catch the eye of the royal family and yet dubbed beneath the need for much more than a single agent and some gold. Agents of her nature are considered expendable and afforded a bare minimum in resources to accomplish their tasks. As a fresh recruit, Camille's first assignment is to recover a lost heirloom of the royal family, a golden sceptre stolen by the infamous Blackbeard.

To this end, the young agent finds herself in a tavern, seeking passage aboard one of the many ships she expects to be chasing old Blackbeard's treasure.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Verasaille

That looks good Scribbles! I am not ready to start this yet, I am hoping to gather more ideas to plot. I certainly do not mind several people searching for individual treasures that may or may not be part of the larger cache.

And of course we need plenty of intrigue and behind the scenes fun. We can even do some sneaky one shots and 1x1's and incorporate them into the story line. What I do want is more of the lighthearted stuff we see in the commercials. I would love to see some comedy and wild chase scenes!

BlueEyedBard

I would like to join this plot as a pirate captain. Captain Flint also know as "Bloody" Sam Flint; known across the seas as the youngest pirate captain to lead a crew of gold hungry mariners after the greatest treasures in the seven seas!
He and his crew of misfits and orphans (his crew tends to be made up of you get sailors as well, though still very capable) are ready race and fight their way to Blackbeards treasures!

If I may.
"The ultimate in paranoia is not when everyone is against you but when everything is against you." P.K. Dick
Ad astra - but per hominum
On/Off

Seranova

I'll try my hand at the good ol' Cpt. Morgan. Will get something up when we have something more solidified.
Sera's Ons/Off's
Hello darkness, my old friend.
I've come to talk with you again.

Verasaille

Fantastic!! I look forward to getting this going. How many should we have? This is first time to run a group thread here. Though I have done it on other places.

My second character is a young tavern wench who was a favorite of Blackbeard's. They spent many nights together and she is the likeliest of all of them to have some knowledge of where he buried his treasure.

I have yet to set up her profile. As you can see I am partial to red haired vixens. I have a few in mind, and I think I will fine tune it a bit before I get back to you all.

We have two Captains now. Maybe one more to make the chase merrier?

I have settled on the Island of Martinique, as it has a nice little harbor on one side of the island.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/Caribbean_general_map.png

I will be setting up a group rp in 

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=342.0

So far I am going to have a minimum of three ships with Captains and the option of any of you to create diversionary ships of the Governing body of any of the Islands It can be French, English, Spanish or Dutch. All are going to be going after any ships they see are pirates. I would love to see you having fun fighting and sinking any of these npc ships and gathering loot or whatever.

If anyone is interested in having a ship of a particular nation, just declare as such in your sign up.

KurganofPrussia

Def interested.  This is right up my alley.

I can play either a brawler on someone else's ship, a pirate captain of my own, or even the admiral of the Dutch fleet who will be chasing the pirates using his navy in the area.

I have character ideas for all three.  Just tell me what would fit the best and I can make it happen.

Verasaille

Oh the Dutch fleet commander would be great! We do need a strong presence of authority. Keep in mind that the islands were at the time in the 1600's very much open to anyone who could capture a fort or build one. All the strong naval powers at that time had separate islands under their control.

If I remember correctly it was the Dutch who were strongly into the slave trade. Perhaps you can pick an island to use as your base and we can be sure to try and keep out of the way of your big ship with all its guns. Of course I expect him to be searching out pirates and chasing them around a lot.

If you would like you can also have a pirate captain and ship. As a side character. I encourage all of you to have side characters to keep things interesting.

selfexiled

Who can say no to pirates!! Color me interested. And I'll attempt the third pirate captain. We'll see how long it takes for me to properly write everything up since I'll need a ship and a crew...
Originality is fast becoming obsolete, to make a trully unique world all your own is the mark of a great writer, artist, thinker.

Uhm ONs/Offs link
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=134455.msg5990414#msg5990414

Absences:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180093.0

selfexiled

Alright I have a CS lined up for Captain and his ship just let me know when and where to post it. Oh and I'm terrible with adding images so there all links instead.
Originality is fast becoming obsolete, to make a trully unique world all your own is the mark of a great writer, artist, thinker.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

selfexiled

Actually here you go I'll just take the first step and throw it out there.

Name: Captain Benjamin 'The Bloody Gentleman' MacQuain

Appearance:http://partyideasforhalloween.com/images/pirate/gentleman-pirate-black-halloween-costume.jpg
(granted the picture cannot portray a perfect reflection of the character's actual appearance)
A taller man of about six feet, athletic in build. Holding true to his family line he has red hair but darker than most of his family. Though his hair is kept clean and pulled back, to be loose it falls just at his shoulders. Maintains a very trim goatee with chin straps, he grows his chin hair a little longer than the rest, (it's rumored he adds a bit of wax to it to give it a strong stiff point.) His eyes are a most striking emerald blue similiar to the waters he sails, around the pupil of his eye is a gold ring.

While he does own an elegant velvet tri-corner hat complete with a large ostrich feather, once underway he tends to leave it in his stateroom and dons a vivid green silk bandanna. While in port he also wears well made greatcoat with all the filigree of a navy officer's, some say it was an officer's coat once... It is a deep blue nearing to black, under this he wears a leather doublet and a billowy white long sleeve shirt, underway the coat takes its place with the hat in his stateroom. Finely made cotton pants adorn his legs, though he'd never dare wear those stupid socks and shoes most wealthy men of the day wear and he prefers instead a good hardy pair of black leather knee high boots, though he does maintain some type of fashion with them as they have the styled fold over cuff which has been stitched with gold thread to make a vine like filigree pattern around it. His belts are the only 'eye sore' as they are of a beaten leather scuffed and scarred. From these hang his rapier, main gauche, and two pistols. While a slim dagger hides in his boot.

Personality:Though low-born he made it a point to educate himself. To all outsiders (those not on the crew) he is as stiff and aloof as any english noble. On the decks he moves to assist whenever he sees its needed but leaves most of the workings to the boatswain and the master-at-arms. He often eats with the crew unless there is some serious business to be discussed. His nickname seems out of place until he is seen fighting against any formal navy or dealing with captives, officer captives anyway. The higher ranking the officer the more interesting the dealings become.

History: Trying to save space.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Truthfully he's of more humble origins than the man he portrays. Growing up just above the gutters and swearing to never live like that again, he jumped at a chance to get aboard a ship going anywhere as soon as he was old enough to be brought on. (Roughly twelve for cabin boys) The merchant ship had made it's way down to the carribean for trades in sugar cane, other textiles, and slaves. Though the captain wanted to leave the last part under wraps. Before they could put in however, they were attacked by pirates and summarily captured. Ben was brought aboard as a captive and put to work eventually earning his place in the crew. In ten years of looting and raiding Ben had gotten good at pirating and was quite taken to piloting the ship, the quartermaster took him in and taught him how to read the ocean and the winds so he could pilot the ship no matter the conditions. He learned to read maps and memorized shipping routes. After another six years he and the old quartermaster traded places and the old bird retired. Now more than ever was he next to the captain, the simple fact that they had been pirating for at least sixteen years without dieing or being captured was not lost on the crew. Though many had swapped out over the years the upper chain of command remained the same. The captain of course, now Ben, and the master-at-arms, and the boatswain. Always there was a line of eager men ready to sail under thier banner, more than a few tales circled about that the captain was immortal, and though he was new, the quartermaster was a sea creature turned man for how he read the tides and seemed to know how to evade all pursuers. The master-at-arms was said to be possessed by a demon that lusted for blood, the boatswain too. That is of course until the day thier luck ran out. A heavy merchant caravel had been the target, it was easy enough. Fat and slow it was, poorly armed too... it was bait to a trap. The seasoned leaders grew uneasy at how quickly and easily the caravel surrendered, their reputation was great but everyone at least tried to fight back. As grapping hooks crossed over a loud pop came from the poop deck. The ship's quartermaster had fired a small turret cannon straight up into the air, another loud pop as the round exploded above them leaving behind a burning phosferous. The watch in the crow's nest shouted sails on the horizon east, then north, and south and west. Not just singular ships no there were atleast two from each direction. They meant to end the Iron Sparrow's reign on the seas. For the most part they did. The captain was captured, on purpose really, letting the remainder of his men escape by whatever means they could. Ben escaped and swore vengeance on these Dutchmen. After a year of quietly searching it seemed the Iron Sparrow's master-at-arms Mr. Tonnes, and the boatswain Mr. Sprill had survived. Though Mr. Sprill had gotten caught up in a bar fight and arrested. Ben and Mr. Tonnes sprung him and three set out reclaiming thier past lives. Now four years later the three were aboard another ship carring on the traditions set by thier last captain, with some changes of course.

--------------------------The Ship--------------------------

Name: Red Dawn
Size/ type: modified Brig (As most pirates do)
Ship Stats:
A brig is a sailing vessel with two square-rigged masts. During the Age of Sail, brigs were seen as fast and maneuverable and were used as both naval warships and merchant vessels.

Weight:   Tonnages up to 480
Length:   75–165 ft (23–50 m)
Crew: Varies, 12 to 16 to make sail, current crew is about 30
Armament: 32lb carronades: 18 and 12lb long guns: 2
Appearance:
http://www.sailingnetworks.com/images/photo/596507.jpg?1258816036

Whileknowing it would make her heavier Ben knew after many years of pirating there are some advantages to armoring a ship. Each run of lumber on the exterior of the hull was a strip of iron 2" wide. The mainmast and the foremast were also braced with iron strips. To counter the added weight Ben dropped 6 of the 18 cannonades. With modification he and Mr. Tonnes put both long guns in the bow, so they could try to shoot out the rudder of the other ship as they closed range given that their range was roughly three times that of the cannonades. Ben also chose to wrap the keel in iron as well, which led to more stability when rocking in storms and kept the listing at high speed turns down.
He kept the Red Dawn clean with minimal painting of the outer hull preferring clear coats of varnish when he could get it. Her sails are a deep blood red almost maroon as is the weather deck. But the weather deck is never painted at least not with paint...

----------------------Important crewman-------------------------

Quartermaster: Captain/ seeking knowledgeable applicant
Given his previous position Captain is very particular about his QM and unsatisfactory applicants are quickly swimming.
Master-at-arms: Mr. Tonnes
Boatswain: Mr. Sprill
Cook/doctor: Mr. Patts

While all positions are named any can be taken by a player and the names adjusted accordingly. Feel free to submit other crewmen as well.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Verasaille

Fantastic Selfexiled! I am still kind of in the planning stages here. What would all of you like to see happening here? I want to make a general outline and you guys need to help me out.

I picked out an island and a name for a bar. I will be setting up an OOC and let everyone put in a CS. I want full details on there, Besides name and age and description, a nice pic of your character would be nice. If you have a ship I want it named. You will be responsible for your own crew.

I need a name for this venture too. It will be a search for Blackbeard's treasure. The famous pirate was killed in a deadly battle at sea. His treasure is rumored to be a large cache of gold, jewels and other glorious loot.

Nice sign up SE! I hope all of the sign ups are as detailed!

selfexiled

I guess a thought to bring up is do you want mystical bits in it like in PoC (Pirates of the Caribbean.) I can write either way just thought I'd throw it out there. I suppose it should be figured out too where this map is located and whether or not it's on a person. Since that isn't often  a path traveled with maps it might be interesting. Or perhaps the map is coded and only one person has the key...

As to a title...Blackbeard's booty seems stereotypical. Perhaps if it's hidden on an island you label Searching for ____ Island.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Verasaille

I think I will call it "Pirates! Seeking the Haunted Isle". And yes I like the idea of a bit of ghostly happenings, I can see a bit of Voodoo, some spectral creatures and maybe some traps.

Let's not get too carried away with that though. Remember this is the 1600's and muskets and side arms will be limited to single shot before they have to be reloaded. Most of us should be well versed in swords, daggers, and any manner of weapons and close fighting.

What do you think of leaving this open to people joining in on a drop in basis if they feel the desire to jump in even if it is to give us a sea battle?  Likewise if someone wants to "abandon ship" and leave the thread, we will ask for a final sea battle to sink their ship!?

selfexiled

If they have a ship then I think some detail should go into arrival and departure. But regular crew came and went all the time in many ways.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Verasaille

Here is the OOC thread, I am working on setting up plot and will have more detail in the IC when it goes up.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=218555.0

selfexiled

Speaking of, I have a new crewman to add to my roster but I'll not be sharing them with the masses, at least not for a while and not without a lot of convincing.

Sameel Domiquine according to official records when they can be found. Known to all as "Tic Nic" he is a... Haitian or so the reports say that's where he was picked up. Incarcerated at the intense urging of the Church of England for heresy and the practice of the 'black arts.' Tic Nic has been the captian's shadow since resurfacing to spring Mr.  Sprill from jail.

Tic Nic practices 'voodoo' on behalf of the Captain so the crew says. More often than not though Tic Nic is cleaning up loose ends at the captain's request, and maybe a little of the voodoo too. I'll add a description and a picture later.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Verasaille

Make sure you transfer your sign up to the OOC thread so I can get a few more interested and I would love for them to see the way you included pictures and so forth, SE.

Verasaille

We are still accepting people and the IC is up, if you want to join us here is the OOC sign up sheet and I hope we get a few more ladies and the ones who originally expressed interest need to come and post!

We need a Captain Morgan!!

la dame en noir

!!!!!!! I wish to partake in this

but I don't know too much about Pirates and I'm unsure of my people played a part in the Pirate world.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

selfexiled

All are welcome so far as I can tell. We'll help you out with specifics too just ask.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Scribbles

Sorry Verasaille, but I'm withdrawing my interest, it still looks like a fun game but I'm not sure my character idea fits. Too many ships and captains, too few crews, I'd have very few people to interact with.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time