You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

August 20, 2019, 02:06:20 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies  (Read 340055 times)

Offline TheSithChicken

Re: The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies
« Reply #4050 on: August 02, 2019, 12:14:36 AM »
Oh look a Strawman Argument directed at me. It's just like being on Twitter.

Offline MathimTopic starter

« Reply #4051 on: August 02, 2019, 10:22:58 AM »
I would like to reinstate my assertion of troll.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #4052 on: August 03, 2019, 01:23:40 AM »
Swamp Thing concluded. It wasn't good. Episodes 1 and 3 are worth a watch, but only just.

Sorry! Wish I could recommend it.

« Reply #4053 on: August 03, 2019, 09:52:34 AM »
Are they replacing it with anything? I don't know how often these streaming services are adding new content or if they all have different rates of production. And I'm worried Marvel is going to have similar problems where their budget is going to cause severe issues right in the middle of a season and lead to this type of downgrade as well as the cancellation of an otherwise good project they simply didn't care enough to put their full effort into. Even now their record with their TV stuff is iffy so hopefully the vast success of the MCU means they feel like they can burn money.

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #4054 on: August 03, 2019, 09:56:17 AM »
I've heard through hearsay that a lot of the TV shows' problems were Executing Meddling from Ike Perlmutter, in terms of budget and sometimes content. It remains to be seen, starting with all their Phase 4 stuff, if Keven Feige can make good TV now that Perlmutter has been creatively sidelined or not.

Offline Azuresun

« Reply #4055 on: August 03, 2019, 04:13:13 PM »
Well I thought they were FUN and stuck to the CANON very well with big cartoonish epic villains, fights, comedy and classic superhero content that was just like watching a live comic book. I don't get why people need their movies to be serious hell its superheroes and all bullcrap that wouldn't ever happen in real life and if they did Superman would hve turned out to be a serial killer or world dictator (Brightburn was also good for what it was). Superman should be SUPERMAN the heroism, the fighting for truth and justice and the American way and be the idol of millions and be one of the top heroes in the DC universe.

I also enjoyed Aquaman and Shazam! The former was a very straightforward action movie, and the latter had some scenes where the lack of budget kinda showed, but they were both fun, and it was good to see the DCCU shed some of its grime and just enjoy itself.

Superman is just an awkward character to deal with, in that his classic version is unimpeachably good, and also one of the most powerful entities in the universe. So he's the most common target for subversion and deconstruction, but the DCCU kind of forgot to build him up before deconstructing him, ending up more obsessed with what Superman is than who he is. His death and resurrection could have been a perfect chance to power him down to his Golden Age levels, where he's very powerful, but not at an unstoppable "anything my team can do, I can do better" level, which might have helped with the problem.

« Reply #4056 on: August 03, 2019, 05:30:13 PM »
I also enjoyed Aquaman and Shazam! The former was a very straightforward action movie, and the latter had some scenes where the lack of budget kinda showed, but they were both fun, and it was good to see the DCCU shed some of its grime and just enjoy itself.

Superman is just an awkward character to deal with, in that his classic version is unimpeachably good, and also one of the most powerful entities in the universe. So he's the most common target for subversion and deconstruction, but the DCCU kind of forgot to build him up before deconstructing him, ending up more obsessed with what Superman is than who he is. His death and resurrection could have been a perfect chance to power him down to his Golden Age levels, where he's very powerful, but not at an unstoppable "anything my team can do, I can do better" level, which might have helped with the problem.

That’s why an Injustice story arc might work better here, especially if they want to keep going dark against the usual lightness.

Offline Azuresun

« Reply #4057 on: August 07, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »
That’s why an Injustice story arc might work better here, especially if they want to keep going dark against the usual lightness.

Eh, you could argue that the concept of Superman works better as a villain or fallen hero, but it's too much a shift from how people know the character, which is the archetypal superhero. And it would feel kinda mean-spirited.

That said, I'd watch the heck out of a DCU movie with the Crime Syndicate as the villains, where it turns out Batman's visions in BvS were actually warning about Ultraman.) Superman vs Evil Alternate Universe Superman  solves that "what do do with him that stops him overshadowing all his teammates" problem quite neatly, and has some dramatic weight to it, showing what Superman could have become.

« Reply #4058 on: August 10, 2019, 06:48:23 PM »
Just watched the latest DC Animated Movie Universe release, Batman: Hush. Wow. It differs quite a bit from the comic story as far as what I gleaned from the Wikipedia entry on that arc but I think they still did a superb job presenting an entertaining, engaging tale full of action and even some higher level sexy fun than we got with Nightwing and Starfire in Teen Titans: The Judas Contract. Very highly recommended, although I thought the ending was a tad forced and came to a hard stop without it needing to, leaving Batman looking like the dumb one when anyone who witnessed the scene would have known how to handle it better.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #4059 on: August 13, 2019, 01:09:34 PM »
Hush was released on DCU today. Shade the Changing Woman just ended, so I might as well take a look when I have a little time. I've never been a Batman reader. Should I read the comic version of Hush first, or no?

« Reply #4060 on: August 13, 2019, 02:59:17 PM »
Hush was released on DCU today. Shade the Changing Woman just ended, so I might as well take a look when I have a little time. I've never been a Batman reader. Should I read the comic version of Hush first, or no?

I haven’t read Hush myself, just the Wikipedia summary, so I’d say it doesn’t matter but the wiki says that the identity of Hush is ambiguous despite hints in the comics, and in the film you do find out. If you prefer a mystery then maybe do the comic first to whet your appetite.

If you’re looking for more of a comic book-y action movie though, see if they also have Batman Vs Ninja Turtles.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:01:28 PM by Mathim »

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #4061 on: Today at 01:10:25 PM »
.... sudden thought.
If they really do intro deadpool to MCU, gotta hve a scene of him showing up to big battle "Dont worry guys! I know i missed the last... like... what... 5? I dont know, was kinda busy. But im here now! And i brought the perfect back up for this fight!" throws a human sized duffle bag on the ground which struggles a moment before getting torn open. Hugh Jackman jumps out, sideburns badly glued to his face, silverware to his hands like claws, stuck wearing little kids wolverine costume (the bright yellow kind you get at walmart)
<Deadpool> TADA!! Hes The best at whatever the hell it is he does! Wolverine!!!
<Hugh Jackman> What is wrong with you psychopaths!?! Im getting out of here!!!! *runs away*
<deadpool> huh... ok... Well! You have to admit he is pretty good at running away!