News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CuriousEyes

Quote from: RedPhoenix on July 09, 2015, 03:15:45 PM
so like I said I could see a shield conspiracy being the theme of an episode. It would turn out it was like actually a larp event or part of a viral marketing campaign or something. It can be done quite well is what I'm saying.

Yeah that's the sort of thing I think could work - an homage that fits a nod to another show into the "feel" of the main show as a kind of easter egg for the fans. You just can't really wedge the continuity of the two together as saying "both of these things are 100% true to each of our canonical takes on the world" without completely whacking out said continuity.

I mean, at least I think you can't.

Beorning

If I may change subject for a second: so, what did you guys think of Days Of Future Past? I just saw it and I quite liked it...

Sasquatch421

I really enjoyed Days of Future Past and still think the best parts of that movie were when Quicksilver was on screen. Though I must admit I almost lost my hearing when I saw it in the theater. They showed Hugh's bare ass and every girl in the place decided to whistle...

Quote from: CuriousEyes on July 09, 2015, 02:51:36 PM
Dude, I get that you're on another tier of fan than I am with these things. And you're completely entitled to your own opinion, absolutely. And I haven't been a Pollyanna about everything that's been linked here (Suicide Squad, earlier Spider-Man rumors about Asa Butterfield, Supergirl, etc.). But you are so unrelentingly negative about every bit of news related to this Spider-Man stuff that it's becoming a bit of a drag, at least for me personally.

Not just you... This is coming from a person who has been a Spidey fan since he first started watching Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends back in the day.

CaptainNexus616

Normally I hate timewarp events that essentially erase almost all of continuity we have known or change it.

That said this one did some justice to the X-Men Franchise its kinda funny since Bryan Singer erased a lot of bad content including this...

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

deadmanshand

I support any amount of retconning that removes Barakapool from existence.

Beorning

I admit that I was extremely pleased to see the ending scenes with Jean, Scott and Rogue. They are all back! :)

What I wasn't too pleased about was the fact that Apocalypse in the after-credits scene seemed to be completely different from the comic book version of the character (he's going to be *telekinetic*???).

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on July 09, 2015, 03:39:05 PM
If I may change subject for a second: so, what did you guys think of Days Of Future Past? I just saw it and I quite liked it...

Loved it, loved it, loved it. Absolutely brilliant filmmaking. So proves that Singer never should have left X3, that dude has the mutant power to make kick-ass X-Men movies. But this had perfect story balance between the characters in the dark future and the uncertain past, that was the main thing that made it great. I never felt like one was being too overshadowed by another, and I was only slightly bugged by some of the paradoxes that needed to occur for this scenario to make sense (like Mystique somehow being alive for X 1-3 despite being captured and dissected by Trask's people after she killed him). Never really felt more like Mystique was an integral character than now, much more impressive than ever before (though I have to agree with Cinemasins; when both your best friend and former lover, who hate each other, are in agreement and are telling you not to assassinate Trask, you probably should listen.) But their Quicksilver totally blew Marvel's version out of the water, really looking forward to seeing what they're going to do with him in Apocalypse.

It even has the added bonus, as has been pointed out, of allowing for a Deadpool reboot that will be more faithful to the comic version. I just hope it doesn't mean Wolverine completely missed out on the opportunity to get/keep his adamantium skeleton and claws given how it ended.

Quote from: Beorning on July 09, 2015, 06:13:47 PM
I admit that I was extremely pleased to see the ending scenes with Jean, Scott and Rogue. They are all back! :)

What I wasn't too pleased about was the fact that Apocalypse in the after-credits scene seemed to be completely different from the comic book version of the character (he's going to be *telekinetic*???).

Well, doesn't Apocalypse have all the powers in the book anyway? Or are there just different versions where it's ambiguous?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

deadmanshand

Apocalypse is telekinetic in the comics but it's born of his technology rather than his mutation. His actual power is complete control over his molecular structure.

Beorning

Quote from: deadmanshand on July 09, 2015, 06:24:28 PM
Apocalypse is telekinetic in the comics but it's born of his technology rather than his mutation. His actual power is complete control over his molecular structure.

Actually, he isn't a telekinetic - at least I don't remember any example of him using this kind of powers. He's a very powerful shapechanger enhanced by Celestial technology, with some additional powers like energy blasts.

deadmanshand

There are many, many examples of him using telekinesis in the comics but it all comes from the technology of the Celestials. It's part of the energy absorption and projections abilities he has exhibited over the years. None of the energy projection or psionic abilities are inherent though. They come from the technology.

Beorning

Quote from: deadmanshand on July 09, 2015, 06:42:39 PM
There are many, many examples of him using telekinesis in the comics but it all comes from the technology of the Celestials. It's part of the energy absorption and projections abilities he has exhibited over the years. None of the energy projection or psionic abilities are inherent though. They come from the technology.

I admit that I don't recall any examples of him displaying that kind of abilities, at least not at the scale that was shown in that after-credits scene. I haven't read all of Apoccy's appearances, though, so I may be wrong...

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on July 09, 2015, 06:30:21 PM
Actually, he isn't a telekinetic - at least I don't remember any example of him using this kind of powers. He's a very powerful shapechanger enhanced by Celestial technology, with some additional powers like energy blasts.

I don't know or remember too well either, it just feels like the last time I glanced at his entry in Wikipedia there were so many powers attributed to him, I would have been surprised if telekinesis wasn't one of them; what I saw in the cartoons certainly made me think that even if his energy projection was the source, that still mimicked telekinesis in many ways. Still, what he can do as far as levitating all the pieces of the pyramid at once makes it feel like only the Phoenix will be able to even have a prayer of standing up to him. Maybe a younger Jean will have the chance to channel the Phoenix in a way more faithful to the comics this time around? I'm sure nobody would mind if they retconned how Brett Ratner did it in X3.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

deadmanshand

Apocalypse is one of my favorite villains of all time. I have read or watched every appearance of his. He has exhibited telekinetic abilities multiple times.

Mathim

Quote from: deadmanshand on July 09, 2015, 06:50:02 PM
Apocalypse is one of my favorite villains of all time. I have read or watched every appearance of his. He has exhibited telekinetic abilities multiple times.

I don't recall ever seeing it directly, perhaps only similar abilities, but I don't doubt it happened at some point in some continuity. It's not like they don't take liberties with certain characters anyway.

You know what I'd really like to see? Mojo. That would be a fun crazy thing to insert into the X-Men film universe. Hey, that could make a fun sequence in Deadpool! Or maybe a funny mid- or end-credits scene.

Beorning

Quote from: deadmanshand on July 09, 2015, 06:50:02 PM

Okay then, I won't argue. Maybe these abilities have been added to his repertoire in some later appearances... I'm mostly familiar with his appearances in early X-Factor and in X-Cutioner's Song, where he definitely didn't have them yet.

Quote from: Mathim on July 09, 2015, 06:52:57 PM
You know what I'd really like to see? Mojo. That would be a fun crazy thing to insert into the X-Men film universe. Hey, that could make a fun sequence in Deadpool! Or maybe a funny mid- or end-credits scene.

I don't know about Mojo, but if it meant we got to see Spiral, I'd be all for it. Spiral is one of my favourite Marvel villains ever...

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on July 09, 2015, 06:55:56 PM
Okay then, I won't argue. Maybe these abilities have been added to his repertoire in some later appearances... I'm mostly familiar with his appearances in early X-Factor and in X-Cutioner's Song, where he definitely didn't have them yet.

I don't know about Mojo, but if it meant we got to see Spiral, I'd be all for it. Spiral is one of my favourite Marvel villains ever...

I had to look her up on wiki because I didn't recognize the name, but I do remember seeing her on a few of the old Fox Kids X-Men episodes after viewing a pic. While I do like the multiple-arms thing, I don't think it would work unless they made a full movie revolving around the Mojoverse, or at least a half-and-half conflict where something else big was involved. Still, we can dream. Someone like that deserves a fight where their multiple arms get used to their fullest, and that needs screen time to happen. I guess we'll have to be content for now with that Grievous vs. Obi-Wan fight from Revenge of the Sith.

Speaking of multiple arms, does anyone think a reboot of Doc Ock as the main villain (or one of the main villains) would be a good idea for Spidey's stand-alone reboot? I know they were trying to go in a different direction with their usage of Spidey's rogues gallery for TASM 1 and 2 (except with Harry Osborn/Green Goblin Mark II being used in both the Raimi and Webb series) but I think people are probably sick of goblins by now so Spidey's second-most iconic villain, the one that sometimes was a friend/ally and who is modeled after a species with the same number of limbs as a spider, could work for a second go-around. I think he was well-received enough when Molina was playing him (I know that of the three Raimi films, the one with Doc Ock was my favorite, and his presence and performance was a big reason for it) that someone new, with a few inventive tweaks to the tentacles' abilities, could dazzle us (even if the rest of the production and casting decisions are questionable). Most of the time the biggest complaint is that the villains are weak or badly developed but if the Raimi movies had one strength, it was more or less the villains (except in part 3, but that wasn't his fault). Of course, who they could cast that would be perfect for Herr Doktor Squiddy...hmm...Christoph Waltz would be fantastic as always in any role he plays, but I don't think he has the mildly chubby or otherwise muscular build we usually see on Octavius' various incarnations that outweighs Spidey's leaner tone. And Doc Ock's power would be a mildly grounded one for an appropriate character in the MCU, the technology not being horribly outlandish compared to many of the things we've already seen from Iron Man or Agents of SHIELD.

Mathim

Well they look like they're going to be continuing with the time travel element in X-Men so why not throw Cable in there somewhere? They already have the perfect actor for it, that dude who played the bad guy from Avatar. He's a damn dead ringer for that guy.

Beorning

Quote from: Mathim on July 09, 2015, 07:11:48 PM
I had to look her up on wiki because I didn't recognize the name, but I do remember seeing her on a few of the old Fox Kids X-Men episodes after viewing a pic.

Oh, but the cartoon didn't do her justice :) In the 80s X-Men comics, Spiral had three distinct roles: being a henchwoman for Mojo, running the body-and-mind-changing Body Shoppe (she created Lady Deathstrike, for once) and being a member of the Freedom Force. Also, she had an interesting personality, being somewhat crazy - and she had that dark relationship with Mojo, where she both hated him and served him, while he tended to be quite abusive towards her.

Personally, I think that Spiral is a very deep, tragic character that should get her own series or something...

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Mathim on July 09, 2015, 07:20:37 PM
Well they look like they're going to be continuing with the time travel element in X-Men so why not throw Cable in there somewhere? They already have the perfect actor for it, that dude who played the bad guy from Avatar. He's a damn dead ringer for that guy.

I agree, Stephan Lang would make a great Nathan... Cable was also a major part in Apocalypses rise to the big baddie we all know as well. Though there are some people that argue that Michael Biehn should be Cable.

Quote from: RedPhoenix on July 09, 2015, 07:15:43 PM
Agreed.

I had a long chat once with someone running a group game about how me running a time traveling psychopath whose sensors could tell if she was being spoken of anywhere in existence would create headaches for the GM or not. xD

Spiral is on my list of characters I need to play one of these days...

Oh I think you'd have fun with her... Hell I had a blast writing Spiral before.

Quote from: Mathim on July 09, 2015, 07:11:48 PM
Speaking of multiple arms, does anyone think a reboot of Doc Ock as the main villain (or one of the main villains) would be a good idea for Spidey's stand-alone reboot? I know they were trying to go in a different direction with their usage of Spidey's rogues gallery for TASM 1 and 2 (except with Harry Osborn/Green Goblin Mark II being used in both the Raimi and Webb series) but I think people are probably sick of goblins by now so Spidey's second-most iconic villain, the one that sometimes was a friend/ally and who is modeled after a species with the same number of limbs as a spider, could work for a second go-around. I think he was well-received enough when Molina was playing him (I know that of the three Raimi films, the one with Doc Ock was my favorite, and his presence and performance was a big reason for it) that someone new, with a few inventive tweaks to the tentacles' abilities, could dazzle us (even if the rest of the production and casting decisions are questionable). Most of the time the biggest complaint is that the villains are weak or badly developed but if the Raimi movies had one strength, it was more or less the villains (except in part 3, but that wasn't his fault). Of course, who they could cast that would be perfect for Herr Doktor Squiddy...hmm...Christoph Waltz would be fantastic as always in any role he plays, but I don't think he has the mildly chubby or otherwise muscular build we usually see on Octavius' various incarnations that outweighs Spidey's leaner tone. And Doc Ock's power would be a mildly grounded one for an appropriate character in the MCU, the technology not being horribly outlandish compared to many of the things we've already seen from Iron Man or Agents of SHIELD.

I would not be opposed to seeing Molina strapping the tentacles back on. Then again I'd love it if Willem Dafoe came back as the Green Goblin. Have they announced a J.J. yet?

Mathim

I don't know about any of the same villain actors returning (they'll all be much older now than their first go-round to be anywhere near the appropriate age for the new, much-younger Spidey so it probably wouldn't be a good idea), but I am definitely 100% cool with Simmons returning to the Daily Bugle. Honestly, I don't know who else in the business could play or look the part quite like him. He even does the damn voice for JJJ in Ultimate Spiderman! Of course there's no telling if the sharing of Spidey between Sony and Marvel will include any of these side characters...the MCU has done such a good job so far keeping out things like X-Men/Mutants, the F4 and Spidey, it'll make it very hard to keep a cohesive singular universe (not that it's not already becoming extremely difficult to do so anyway what with things like GOTG and Phase 3 stuff) to expand it into other characters' territory unexpectedly at such a relatively late point. Keeping that stuff mostly to the standalone Spidey flicks is probably all we can hope for so that the already mega-packed Civil War doesn't lose focus on Cap just for what really kind of amounts to novelty at this point.

I still really want to know who Martin Freeman is playing in it...Captain Britain? LOL.

Sasquatch421

Love Simmons in general and he was just the perfect fit for JJ... Hell he's golden in Portal 2!

All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. [GLaDOS: "Yeah."] Make life take the lemons back! [GLaDOS: [animatedly] "Yeah!"] Get mad! [GLaDOS: [increasingly animatedly] "Yeah!"] I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! [GLaDOS: "Yeah, take the lemons!"] Demand to see life's manager! [GLaDOS: "Yeah!"] Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! [GLaDOS: "Oh, I like this guy."] I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down! [GLaDOS "Burn his house down! Burning people! He says what we're all thinking!"]

The only real mutant I remember was Cable in Civil War... There are other storylines that could get hard to do though like say Onslaught? Of course Reed would have to knock up Sue before hand, but a lot of different characters end up in that one. At some point they're going to have to figure out a way to bring the films together... Sony won't let go of Spidey and Fox won't let go of the X-Men without Marvel or should we say Disney buying the rights back. The F4 is a tough one... Not a lot of people are happy with the casting and if this one fails perhaps Fox will just let the rights revert back to Marvel.

There is still things I'd love to see though... Like an Alpha Flight and some Exile goodness....

deadmanshand

The Inhumans have a confirmed movie coming up. Agents of Shield is leading up to it.

Sasquatch421

Yeah The Inhumans was slated for what 2017 or 2018?

Exiles would probably make a for a better TV series... Every episode they jump to a new reality to fix it, takes on more of a Quantum Leap feel when I think about it.

X-Force? One would have to decide on a line up, but if they bring in Cable they could go classic with him, Domino, Warpath, Sam, Roberto and the others. Yes, I would love an Alpha Flight movie most of all. Though messing up Northstar would be bad...

Heck with them bringing in the Nova Corps in GOTG, you have a great set-up for a stand alone Nova movie.

deadmanshand

James Gunn has hinted at bringing his favorite comic book character into GotG2 and trying to get him his own movie. His favorite? Rom the Spaceknight. And that would be awesome. Seriously underrated comic book and character.

Mathim

Quote from: deadmanshand on July 09, 2015, 09:38:53 PM
James Gunn has hinted at bringing his favorite comic book character into GotG2 and trying to get him his own movie. His favorite? Rom the Spaceknight. And that would be awesome. Seriously underrated comic book and character.

Rom? Really? I would have thought he was referring to Adam Warlock. The hints are very subtle but you can see them in the youtube videos about the easter eggs. Or maybe it'll be both of them.