News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on April 25, 2015, 05:09:14 PM
I only liked Constantine out of those....but I sort of enjoyed the Constantine version slightly more.

Also I envy you people who are excited to see Preacher, I personally cannot stand the work of Garth Ennis (after repeatedly giving them all a try due to friends telling me to keep giving him a chance I don't even want to see anything else with his name on it). >_<

I don't know much of whatever else Ennis may have done, but Preacher was outstanding. They really should have got an authentic Texan for Jesse Custer (I don't know if Dominic Cooper is, but after playing Saddam Hussein's son, I just can't see him as the titular Preacher). They've got the bad lady from Agents of SHIELD playing Tulip, which is just fucked up beyond belief (say, that's two MCU characters going over to the other side...) and I think their choice for Cassidy was also questionable. I really wonder who they're getting to play Herr Starr and how they're going to do Daronique's 2000-pound body. Especially that one scene where he's in a speedo.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 25, 2015, 08:32:59 PM
Robbie Amell is also cast as the other half of Firestorm.
But Robbie isn't a regular cast member on the new show, so I'd imagine Martin Stein is going to the groups tech support guy rather than going into the field much.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

SapphireStar

From what I've read, there are two people inhabiting one body due to an accident which created Firestorm as the end result. I would assume that it would mean that either Martin Stein or Robbie Amell's character would be in control. Robbie Amell is playing Ronnie Raymond. According to the wiki page, Ronnin Raymond and Martin Stein were caught in a nuclear accident which caused them to fuse into one body which created Firestorm. Firestorm has a dual identity/personality. It would depend which one is in control of the body. Martin Stein or Ronnie Raymond who appears on screen for each episode.

mia h

The way they've done Firestorm (or as the show would have it F.I.R.E.S.T.O.R.M. ) is that it's Ronnie's physique with Stein's mind along for ride providing advice, so not really a dual personality I can't imagine they're going to complicate things by giving Firestorm a different face depending on who's in charge. I would imagine the only time Firestorm will see any action is when Robbie Amell makes the inevitable guest star appearance on the show.

Might want to look for a different wiki page, as they've already done the Firestorm origin story on The Flash  ;)
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

I really need to find a way to start watching these shows...
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Lustful Bride

Just checked out a review of a Punisher comic book and I was left wondering how The Punisher would fit into the new MCU and how could he be updated to better work now.

Could it even be done? The only way I could see it happening was if they made it similar John Wick where its gritty and real, Frank Castle gets hurt, struggles hard to take on the entire underground and doesn't look like an immortal action star, just a man who got lucky and was skilled enough to keep going.

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on April 28, 2015, 04:29:47 PM
Just checked out a review of a Punisher comic book and I was left wondering how The Punisher would fit into the new MCU and how could he be updated to better work now.

Could it even be done? The only way I could see it happening was if they made it similar John Wick where its gritty and real, Frank Castle gets hurt, struggles hard to take on the entire underground and doesn't look like an immortal action star, just a man who got lucky and was skilled enough to keep going.

In that sense it would only work if SHIELD was completely gone and there was no effective global peacekeeping force cracking down on stuff like that. Then again, they were very ineffectual against the Mandarin and he wasn't even the real deal. If he kept on the down-low and moved around frequently, he might be able to work in the MCU.

CaptainNexus616

I think the Punisher would work better go after crime organizations that are you know....less Marvel and more realistic, Marvel should have someone of those from his stories alone to work with. After blowing up and killing so many of them I could see someone like SHIELD eventually finding him and offer him a pardon for all the multiple counts of arson, destruction, and murder he racked up  while punishing criminals in return for either joining a group or doing a job for them. Heck when it comes time to recruit more for the Defenders they could have Phil find him and offer him the pardon in return for helping that group out.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 28, 2015, 08:46:10 PM
I think the Punisher would work better go after crime organizations that are you know....less Marvel and more realistic, Marvel should have someone of those from his stories alone to work with. After blowing up and killing so many of them I could see someone like SHIELD eventually finding him and offer him a pardon for all the multiple counts of arson, destruction, and murder he racked up  while punishing criminals in return for either joining a group or doing a job for them. Heck when it comes time to recruit more for the Defenders they could have Phil find him and offer him the pardon in return for helping that group out.

Like have him go on suicide missions or something? LOL, that would be like Marvel's version of the Suicide Squad. I can't imagine them just letting him run wild for any reason, though. At least not with the kind of firepower and resources I've seen him with. With Kingpin and such coming out of the woodwork for Daredevil and others to fight, though, it would make sense for him to pop up in the near future, his vendetta against criminals being thought of as inter-gang warfare and the like, vigilante justice on a small scale, random, nobody thinking it's all the work of just one person. But once he starts taking on the big organizations, some people start to survive to tell the tale of the man wearing a skull which was supposed to be the last thing they ever saw...

CaptainNexus616

I was thinking it start out with him tracking his family's killers then work it from there maybe someone puts a hit out on him and he follows suit by taking them out in response. Maybe he takes out a criminal who is a friend to another big boss and so on. Just give him a reason any reason to punish! lol
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Lustful Bride

I could totally see Frank Grillo as The Punisher.

hmm since they announced a season 2 for Daredevil that would actually be the perfect place to intgroduce him!  XD

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on April 29, 2015, 12:09:11 AM
I could totally see Frank Grillo as The Punisher.

hmm since they announced a season 2 for Daredevil that would actually be the perfect place to intgroduce him!  XD

Really? I don't know whether they ever worked together in the comics. Daredevil would be a bit of a hypocrite if he tried to stop the Punisher if what I'm hearing about his style of justice is correct. But there are 3 other shows where Frank Castle's character could easily show up and cause trouble before the Defenders are all brought together. Blade, too, for that matter if they wanted to include another low-tech hero who wouldn't require tons of CGI to make interesting, unlike Ghost Rider.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mathim on April 29, 2015, 07:59:40 AM
Really? I don't know whether they ever worked together in the comics. Daredevil would be a bit of a hypocrite if he tried to stop the Punisher if what I'm hearing about his style of justice is correct. But there are 3 other shows where Frank Castle's character could easily show up and cause trouble before the Defenders are all brought together. Blade, too, for that matter if they wanted to include another low-tech hero who wouldn't require tons of CGI to make interesting, unlike Ghost Rider.

I take that back. A Blade/ The Punished crossover would be amazing! And it would kind of make sense too since Castle would have to eventually run into vampires and by extension Blade.

Oh god I almost feel worry for the vamps if the way the two meet up is by raiding the same vamp hideout and just wrecking the place   >:)

Beorning

Quote from: Mathim on April 29, 2015, 07:59:40 AM
Really? I don't know whether they ever worked together in the comics. Daredevil would be a bit of a hypocrite if he tried to stop the Punisher if what I'm hearing about his style of justice is correct.

Actually, in the character-defining run by Frank Miller, the Punisher has been used as Daredevil's enemy - or, at least, a foil. There's no love between these two men...

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on April 29, 2015, 09:33:21 AM
Actually, in the character-defining run by Frank Miller, the Punisher has been used as Daredevil's enemy - or, at least, a foil. There's no love between these two men...

So much for putting him in the Defenders, then.

A friend of mine told me that Dylan O'Brien had been cast as the new Spider-Man. Anyone want to confirm this or blow it out of the water?

Oh, and interestingly enough, Kevin Feige has said that Scarlet Witch is going to be an apprentice to Doctor Strange in his movie. It'll be interesting to see how Cumberbatch interacts with Olsen.

Inkidu

I have a quick question about the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Where the hell is Ultron coming from? In that same vein, why are Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch there? There's not a whole lot of setup.

I mean, I've seen every movie that came out past Avengers, and you know, the Cosmic Cube was set up at least one film in advance.

Is it that Age of Ultron is going to be a segue into something even bigger?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

CuriousEyes

Winter Soldier did an after-credits scene teasing Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch as HYDRA experiments (I think the same facility that turned Bucky into the Winter Soldier, but may be mistaken).

Agents of SHIELD also namedropped them in last nights episode as their programs only successful subjects. Beyond that I do think they've been loose on details - they may be getting repurposed as Inhumans to push that story along, but I'm not clear from SHIELD's groundwork if most Inhumans (Skye & Raina being outliers) know about their genetic potential up front or not.

I think Age of Ultron is going to do most of the groundwork explaining who they are, as well as where Ultron came from.

The IMDB synopsis does indicate Tony Stark is the one to unleash it on Earth though. Again, motivation probably being explained IN Ultron.

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on April 29, 2015, 07:34:46 PM
I have a quick question about the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Where the hell is Ultron coming from? In that same vein, why are Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch there? There's not a whole lot of setup.

I mean, I've seen every movie that came out past Avengers, and you know, the Cosmic Cube was set up at least one film in advance.

Is it that Age of Ultron is going to be a segue into something even bigger?

The fact that the Infinity Gems have such a range of affinities and abilities makes it seem likely that they were instrumental in bestowing Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch with their powers, whether they were Inhumans or not. I think HYDRA being revealed to have come out of the woodwork and having possession of Loki's scepter was enough setup, frankly. Ultron on the other hand is, as was theorized, originally developed by Hank Pym but never put into use for unknown reasons. Tony Stark, rather than simply creating it from scratch as he did with JARVIS, takes that model and boots it up, giving it the ability to think independently enough to go all Skynet on the Avengers' asses.

Another theory is that, because the scepter was used to take over the minds of Selvig, Hawkeye and others, it is the Mind Gem, which we see Tony holding during one of the trailers, and that it will be used to give sentience (possibly among his host of other unique abilities) to the Vision android seen at the very end of the third trailer. So in that sense, this will be introducing the fourth of the six Infinity Gems. Plenty of places for the other two to be hiding in Phase 3. Also that the situation with Ultron, which was supposed to help the Avengers and then turned on them, will cause the rift that is the basis for Civil War. It will reinforce the separation in the teams that will pave the way for the new heroes, namely Doctor Strange, Black Panther and Captain Marvel, to come onto the scene to take part in the Infinity War.

The structure is there, you just have to be paying attention and care enough. It's easy for the devoted fans but I'm surprised (and gladdened) that they aren't doing more to help the casual moviegoer get into it.

CaptainNexus616

Looks like the Showrunner for Daredevil will not be returning for the second season and instead one of the producers will take over the role instead.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 29, 2015, 09:56:42 PM
Looks like the Showrunner for Daredevil will not be returning for the second season and instead one of the producers will take over the role instead.

What does the showrunner do, exactly?

SapphireStar

Basically running the creative side. Overseeing the creation of the scripts for each episode.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 29, 2015, 11:47:06 PM
Basically running the creative side. Overseeing the creation of the scripts for each episode.

Well they've been doing pretty well on average so far for each movie and TV show, so hopefully this won't break that streak.

CaptainNexus616

The only time I have my doubts concerning a Marvel movie anymore would be the Iron Man ones since 2 but....I still can't help but feel a little bit wary regardless of Marvel's current track record.

I'm just worried the quality will drop in Daredevil is all. That said for all I know it could jump even higher.

SapphireStar

Several news reports have been stating that Asa Butterfield is the top pick and will likely become the new Spider-Man. Seriously    ???

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 30, 2015, 01:16:03 PM
Several news reports have been stating that Asa Butterfield is the top pick and will likely become the new Spider-Man. Seriously    ???

He doesn't even look like he's gone through puberty yet. Why the fuck do they not want anyone to be able to take Spider-Man seriously? Do they hate him that much? Do they hate his fans that much? Who in their right mind would think him being a teenager would make for an interesting story? Spider-Man's 'coming of age' has never been near his best storylines. A child in the middle of the Avengers is pandering to a non-existent demographic. To think Kevin Feige, a non-Fox-affiliate, would agree to, nay, insist on this approach...it boggles the mind. How, if this is his mindset, has he not managed to majorly fuck up even more of the MCU than just Iron Man 3?