You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

June 05, 2020, 09:20:15 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies  (Read 403821 times)

Offline Dhi

Re: The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies
« Reply #4075 on: November 03, 2019, 07:43:37 PM »
For those curious, you can check out what will be launching on Disney+ a week early thanks to the Netherlands.
https://www.justwatch.com/nl/provider/disney-plus

Offline MathimTopic starter

« Reply #4076 on: November 04, 2019, 11:27:55 AM »
Well the Tick didn't get a third season, damn shame.

I think the only Phase 4 Marvel films I'm looking forward to are Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness and Thor: Love and Thunder. I feel the inclusion of the Scarlet Witch in the next Doctor Strange will be a good move, frankly I would have preferred it happening sooner but better late than never. I seriously hope they run into alternate universe versions of themselves and one of them is a more British-accented Doctor Strange who spouts phrases like "By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth!" and embarrasses the American Doctor Strange with how corny that sounds.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #4077 on: December 13, 2019, 11:48:09 AM »
Let's pretend Birds of Prey doesn't exist and focus on something rad instead.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #4078 on: December 13, 2019, 12:08:19 PM »
ha...
Ha
HAH
HAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!
 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6asweo

(seriously the people that made this series should be forced to sit down and read the entire series from the first issue to now and then write a massive missive on how they fucked up, and apologize)

Offline Dhi

« Reply #4079 on: May 27, 2020, 12:09:21 AM »
Hello, it's been like six months.

I resubscribed to DCU, and there's a lot going on. Stargirl is now two episodes in. Harley Quinn season 2 is currently underway. A month from now, Doom Patrol will resume with season 2. Superman: Red Son is expected in the very near future.

Stargirl is what I hoped it would be, a female superhero series in the vein of Disney family dramas. When it's corny, it means to be. The core message is nicely focused, and anyone familiar with Stargirl's history may see what they're building toward. Anyone else I think will be pleasantly surprised. There's no filler or meandering in the first two hours, and given the quite large rogues gallery established right away and bullet list of things to accomplish, it seems as though season 1 will be a tight story from beginning to end. That's probably the best way to do it, since the action is clearly expensive and intricate. I like it, and plan to continue.

Harley Quinn I haven't seen much of. The three episodes I've seen so far were very funny, it's just this continuous dancing around her abusive relationship with Joker I don't care for. I understand there was a kiss between Harley and Ivy a couple of weeks ago in season 2, and that unlike the recent She-Ra, it wasn't a goodbye wave just before the series finale credits. The fact that they're introducing this in the middle of the story, and probably exploring it further, has me interested. It's funny to think that a series pitched as a Venture Bros. style romp could have the character development and emotional weight to pull of a queer relationship the comic books have consistently fumbled and passed the buck on, and yet, when you approach these characters and stories with genuine intentions, there's no reason they can't be turned into something worthwhile.

Doom Patrol I've praised before. Season 2 seems to pick up without missing a beat and I'm looking forward to the new addition of Dorothy Spinner, a child who warps reality through her imaginary friends.

Red Son is an Elseworlds story exploring the idea that Superman crash lands behind the Iron Curtain of Stalin's Soviet Union rather than Kansas, and how the world might be different if DC's unstoppable force were on the other side of the Cold War. Superhero animation is not something that normally appeals to me, but this is a compelling story, so I plan to give it a watch.

In the meantime, I plan to explore some of the newer additions to the library like Naomi, House of Mystery, Catwoman 2018, and Female Furies, and no doubt emerge with a head full of superhero femslash ideas nobody will want to write with me.

Offline wander

• That Based Brit-lad // Geek-Nerd in a T-shirt // Come and Message Me
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Degrader, Daddy, Sadist, Master to Noone.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4080 on: May 27, 2020, 09:54:59 AM »
Yeah, Geoff Johns is involved in the show-running of Stargirl and he made that character up as a tribute to his deceased sister, so he'll make sure she gets the respect she deserves and nix any ham-fisted idpol so things focus more on the story and characters.

Also nice to see Brec getting more work.  :-)

As for Harley Quinn, I was a regular getting her solo series, so I like the show is heavily inspired by the comedic tone of that series. Yeah, her and Ivy were together in the comics, though it really shits on all the set-up they did with Kiteman and Ivy.

As a lad born in the '80s who watched tons of cartoons growing up in the mid 80s and through the 90s, I'm not even commenting on She-Ra and what they did to her.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #4081 on: May 27, 2020, 10:11:18 AM »
aint seen much one the others, but watched most of harley quinn and its pretty good. Only really focuses on her issues with joker for a couple episodes, then he has less a main seat and its more Her Issues that are caused by or include him. Its pretty funny, but its not Batman: The Animated Series. Very much a comedic series with some dark splashes and big bits of gore and murder. Characters are Vastly changed and exaggerated as well.

Im kinda disappointed in how they did
Freize...
But thats just me, he is one of my favorite characters. I had kind of hoped that he would basicly be Exactly like in the TAS which just causes everybody else to be majorly uncomfortable as while they are acting jokey and slapstick, here comes Freize all serious, deadpan, and monotone with an absolute focus. instead he is a more comedic style of how he normally is, and is only in like... 2 episodes, one of which he might as well just be a background character.

But all in all its not bad.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #4082 on: May 30, 2020, 09:09:24 PM »
Two episodes after the kiss, I don't feel invested in Harley/Ivy at all. The show is still very funny, but that relationship is clearly not going anywhere.

Now that I'm caught up on Harley Quinn, my standout character is definitely Batgirl. Briana Cuoco's line delivery is above and beyond with nuance. I'd like to see an episode where Ivy takes a back seat and Harley and Batgirl have an adventure together, just the sisters Cuoco in simpatico.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #4083 on: May 31, 2020, 01:21:06 AM »
Yeah. The whole darkseid thing just... ... yeah...
I liked how they teased things between them up til there in the series.. but then that and... ... yeah. its kinda killed interest.

that said, king shark is one of my favorites. which makes it funny seeing him in harley, then compared to him in justice league dark (where he dated John Constantine)