The entire board is in Italics.....

Started by Dez, November 16, 2014, 12:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dez

And I'm not sure why!

I've check my settings, I use Google Chrome, and when I check E here at home, the entire board is in italics. At work, however, it isn't.

Have I inadvertently done something or clicked something or pushed something to cause this? If not, how do I fix it and un-italicize, please?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

With respect,

W

Vekseid

Hold down shift and press refresh/reload.

Dez

jouzinka

Does it happen with all the skins or just one?
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Dez

I haven't tried all the skins.

Let me do that and I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Dez

Just went through all the choices and its still italic.

I can handle it though!

jouzinka

Then it must be the setting of your browser.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Dez

Well.... I wouldn't doubt it to be honest with you. Although I have gone through the entire setting stuff and for the life of me can't figure out why its only this browser that italicizes.

Internet Explorer doesn't have that... and I'm trying to find where on the settings that italic thing is so I can turn it off. For a minute there I thought I did.

I was wrong.

Oreo

Chrome can be a pain. I had to reset mine to original defaults last week just to undo something I couldn't figure out how else to make go away. You might try that.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Beguile's Mistress

I Googled "Chrome settings font italics" and found a Yahoo answers page with this:

1) Open the Chrome menu bar on the upper-right ( https://storage.googleapis.com/support-k... )
2) Click on settings
3) Scroll all the way down, and click show advanced settings.
4) Scroll down a bit until you see "Web Content"
5) Click "Customize Fonts" and you can adjust what fonts you want.

Maybe this will help.

Dez

Well....

I've tried what Ms. BeMi suggested, and I've even uninstalled and then reinstalled it. Twice.

I've reset the settings numerous times.

No big deal --- I can handle it!

Thanks for the input everyone, it's much appreciated!

Oreo

This is why I love Firefox. I only use Chrome to watch youtube and open my mail.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Dez

Hmm.... methinks I'll try Firefox!

Thanks, Oreo!

Can I dip you in milk for a snack later?

Sorry... couldn't resist!!!

Oreo

Of course. I am always up for a milk bath. Chrome just drives me nuts. I cannot figure out their system. It's like they hide everything, or move stuff around so you can't find it.

Dez

I will agree with you on that -- Chrome is beginning to drive me nuts.

Additionally, I tried to download Firefox, but it was stopped by my AVG due to a threat.  :-(

Oh well!

Milk baths are good for the skin. Then again, so is pouring baking soda into the bath water!

Beguile's Mistress

I've used Firefox forever, before that Netscape.  I love Firefox most of the time and usually don't have any problems with them  I'll watch videos on IE but don't use IE for much else except interfacing with servers at work.  Work is happier about that.

I'm sorry we couldn't fix it.  *hugs you*

Dez

It's ok Ms. BeMi.... I got to dip Oreo in milk!

*hugs back* Thanks for the help!!!!

Beguile's Mistress

Always a silver lining, huh?

You're welcome. :-)

Dez

Absolutely!!!

Always a silver lining!!!!!

Bloodied Porcelain

Are other sites doing this or just E? There was an issue a few years ago where installing certain extensions if you were running Chrome on Win 7 could cause your default system font to go "missing" and other fonts would be forced to step in to take their place (I'm not exactly sure what happens to cause it, just that it was a common problem for a while). Most people fixed it by installing the European Union Expansion Font Update from Microsoft.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fdownload%2Fdetails.aspx%3Fid%3D16083&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHtnWcw-0yCp6iwjaelHqJ-vCTimQ

Here's the quote from the old google group archives I looked up about it:

QuoteHi all! I have the solution. It seems this sort of thing happens when the system font (in this case arial) that is used by default by your average browser goes missing, for whatever reason. This causes browsers to use other fonts as a replacement.
The solution is simple. Download the European Union Expansion Font Update from Microsoft, here is the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16083

Install this file. Make sure to go into control panel -> fonts and check whether or not you have the regular arial font within the arial font family folder.

I hope this works for you guys as it did for me!
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Dez

You be awesome, BP! As usual!!!!!!

*hugs and saves the link for later*

Thanks!!!!!!!

Bloodied Porcelain

Let me know if that fixes it. If it doesn't, I'll poke around some more and see what else I can find. :)
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Dez

Okies.... when I get home later (plowing through all this S N O W!!!!), I'll try it and let you know.

Again, thanks!!!

Vekseid

If one of the font faces was deleted, you'd presumably see other fonts normally, though

Am I italic?
Am I italic?
Am I italic?
Am I italic?
Am I italic?
Am I italic?

Nessy

This issue fascinates me. I do remember losing a font once, and I can't remember how it happened. I just know I ran into a website that had HUGE text suddenly, no matter what I did. It was so odd until a friend of mine from the UK just started spamming me all these fonts she had that she thought I might not have anymore. It was after OS upgrade for sure which I don't do very often. Usually, I just move onto a new build rather than upgrade.

I'd be curious to know the answer to this. It sounds like a troubleshoot worth storing in the ol memory bank.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.