You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 08:40:22 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Error 404 on some sites--is it me or them?  (Read 650 times)

Offline bubbyTopic starter

• *~The True Lady Death~* "Bubby is more like an expired bottle of Mad Dog 20/20" --Hades
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • Location: I shall eat the hearts of my enemies to gain their strength, then I'll eat broccoli so kids will hate me.
  • Hello, my name is Human.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Error 404 on some sites--is it me or them?
« on: November 15, 2014, 02:23:43 AM »
So recently I've been making an attempt to do some shopping online, and several sites (Walmart, Target, and just yesterday even Zulily) I've tried have given me the dreaded Error 404. When I have gotten my Google Fu on and tried to research the why's of said issues, to see if it's me or them, it's generally always said  " Site is working, it must be just not working for you"...

... ssoooo...

'Cookies' were mentioned. Is there something, somewhere on my computer I should tick or un-tick that would maybe be blocking these sites? Is it possibly a Google Chrome issue? If it is a Chrome issue, is there a way to figure that out?

Offline Bloodied Porcelain

• E's Masked Lady ~ Swamp Witch ~ Sisterkitten ~ Little Red ~ Crowley ~ Baby Girl ~ Muse Crack ~ Code Monkey ~ LLS ~ Favorite ~ Good Girl ~ Pointe Shoes & Combat Boots
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • Captain Of Team Fuck Up Your Sheets
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Error 404 on some sites--is it me or them?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:43:44 AM »
On Chrome:

Click the three lines at the top right.

Settings

Advanced Settings

Privacy ---> Content Settings

Allow Local Data To Be Set

You should also just try clearing your browser history. :) There might be a bad cookie or temp file in there mucking things up for you.

Offline bubbyTopic starter

• *~The True Lady Death~* "Bubby is more like an expired bottle of Mad Dog 20/20" --Hades
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • Location: I shall eat the hearts of my enemies to gain their strength, then I'll eat broccoli so kids will hate me.
  • Hello, my name is Human.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 01:32:29 PM »
On Chrome:

Click the three lines at the top right.

Settings

Advanced Settings

Privacy ---> Content Settings

Allow Local Data To Be Set

You should also just try clearing your browser history. :) There might be a bad cookie or temp file in there mucking things up for you.

After checking, I already had it set at the 'allow local' thing, and I did manage to clear all history/cookies, but I still can't access any of those sites. I dunno man... I guess they don't want my money! Thanks for the help though BP!

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 07:37:52 AM »
Have you tried using a different browser?

Offline Lrrr

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 02:39:48 PM »
404 will sometimes show up if your Domain Name Service (DNS) is messed up.  If you're using cable or DSL, the DNS is usually set up on your modem/cable box/router.  Try shutting off (not restarting, shutting off) your cable or DSL box and letting it sit for 30 seconds.  Then power that sucker back up and see if the problem goes away.

If you know how to log on to your router you can change which DNS is being used.  Google seems to have a decent primary and secondary set of public domain name servers at

primary:  8.8.8.8
secondary: 8.8.4.4

Record the previous domain name server IP addresses before changing them so you can go back if anything goes wrong!  Good luck.   :-)

Offline Thesunmaid

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 03:01:38 PM »
I used this on a friends computer and found out it was a problem with thier connection.

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/