You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 26, 2016, 02:34:02 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: This is why we read the damn Paradox rules (WoD story)  (Read 219 times)

Offline AngiejuusanTopic starter

This is why we read the damn Paradox rules (WoD story)
« on: November 09, 2014, 01:40:24 PM »
In my first game of Mage, I spent a lot of time reading the Wisdom and paradox rules. Wisdom is a function of a Mage's morality and Paradox is what happens when you use obvious magic-bad shit happens as the world goes "NO! NO! NO!" Being a bright eyed idealist, I immediately decided that my Mage payed very close attention to the whole "only use what is necessary" part of magic. I had a car, so I offered to drive everyone everywhere.

Well, another Mage-the DM's own character-decided to ignore that and instead of hitching a ride with me, would teleport everywhere. This came to a head at one point where he teleported, and inflicted Bedlam upon himself because he rolled 2 successes on the Paradox check (This is an odd one-successes are BAD on a Paradox roll). We came back to my Sanctum after a brief investigation, and found him in the fetal position in the corner. I calmly walked over to him and asked what he had learned. "MAGIC IS EVIL!" He screamed out.

Not really a point to it, just a really fun story. Remember people, no Paradoxes!

Offline Caehlim

Re: This is why we read the damn Paradox rules (WoD story)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 02:14:59 PM »
Be careful, Bedlam is contagious.

My mage used to teleport everywhere, but he was a Reality Stalker (a Mysterium legacy), so he could do it as part of his legacy power without risking vulgar magic.

Paradox is very dangerous. There are options however to make it a bit safer.
* No magic is vulgar in a demesne, so that's always a good possibility, except if you're teleporting both ends have to be a demesne to avoid paradox.
* Remember to use an arcane focus, it reduces your number of paradox dice.
* Spend mana to mitigate the paradox. Using more magical energy in the spell than necessary makes it less risky.
* Don't forget that you can absorb the paradox within your own pattern. You'll get one heck of a bruising by doing it, but it's far better than going mad or summoning a demon from the abyss.

Offline AngiejuusanTopic starter

Re: This is why we read the damn Paradox rules (WoD story)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 02:22:45 PM »
Oh yeah, I made sure to know as much as I could about Paradox. That's why Angelo has a katana-it is a Mastigo arcane tool, and most of his Vulgar spells are combat related (mostly buffs)