You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 10, 2016, 03:05:10 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Joining the Military  (Read 259 times)

Offline VioletPandaTopic starter

Joining the Military
« on: October 30, 2014, 09:08:05 PM »
     So, I am joining the Air Force, hopefully! I am -I believe- 4'9 or 4'9 and a half, the minimum requirement for females is supposedly 4'10 ie 58 inches. People say the odds are that I will make it, but I just read something that I found really odd:

The requirement for every branch except the Navy is the aforementioned 58'. In the Navy it's 51'....Do they like shorter people to fit in the submarines or what? Anyone know?

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Joining the Military
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »
Having seen footage of actual submarine interiors, I can see it being an advantage.  Rather surprised there isn't a max height for submariners.

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »
Having seen footage of actual submarine interiors, I can see it being an advantage.  Rather surprised there isn't a max height for submariners.
I think it might be de facto. :)

Offline Annisthyrienne

• Don't ever change. Just be yourself. Always. For everyone. Your spirit is love. Simply put.
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • "You make this life easier to live."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 10:04:29 PM »
My understanding from watching the Military Channel and the History Channel is that submarines are built with the same size doorways, bunks, etc as any other ship.  Sure there is not the same amount of room to be spacious in general, but the basic dimensions of the shipboard facilities are the same.  They may like shorter statured crewmen for submarines, but I don't think it's a requirement based on the type of vessel.  But I didn't think they had females on subs yet, since they deploy under isolated conditions for months at a time.  Submarines are considered a combat vessel, and I don't know if they still have the prohibition on women in front line combat vessels.  Then again, I've heard of women serving on aircraft carriers and even saw some in one of the shows I watched, so maybe they've changed their rules.