Thera Acheron Age:
Female, when appearing humanRace:
Mothman, specifically influenced by the movie (The Mothman Prophecies) and some general monster talk I've picked up along the way, but with my own flair.Notable Abilities/Skills:
- Telepathy/Pre-cog: Telepathic ability usable on humans (possibly more human type monsters as well), mainly through a more direct link, after touching them, while able to see them, or if they are thinking about her. This ability allows her to gather information with no communication barriers due to language or whatever obstruction, however extended connection does tend to drive humans insane. Telepathic ability is exceptionally strong with members of her own species, allowing them to tap into an almost group consciousness, though it requires her to be in a semi-meditative state (not in battle). I know the pre-cog is a slippery slope, but it would be more only events of very large proportion and/or high death count (in keeping with what's become common lore about these things, I leave it to the GM's discretion).
- Wings: Cannot be retracted into the body, only folded close to the body and are hidden under layers of long, loose fitting clothing. (Coats, scarves, veils, etc...) Mothman wings are quite strong, and almost tireless.
- Minor shapeshifting: Can change herself to be more human looking though not quite perfectly; it is uncomfortable and she still requires the veils, both out of personal preference and to disguise the minor flaws in her human appearance. She can simply be as she is naturally or her human shape, which cannot change, though it is slowly getting more life like the more often she uses it. (The time range on this is so slow it's not really going to be noticeable in the story.)
Thera has collected her share of junk over the years, rather like a magpie.
- Colt 1911: Thera picked this off a fallen soldier after the Battle of Amiens, mostly because it is pretty and has an interesting texture. While a she is a decent but unremarkable shot and is not likely to utilize it as a weapon. Eye Candy
Open, but leaning toward intel gathering (interrogation?) or something of that nature. Recruitment Status:
She has traveled the world and become rather gluttonous as the world seemed to only be getting more and more rife with death energy. Despite being to young to have her kenning, she is extremely active. Thera's presence at a string of places the Company had taken interest in brought her to their attention. Of course as they were noticing her, she was also noticing them. They danced around each other until she became intrigued enough to actually meet. Seeing as she would be doing basically the same thing anyway, she agreed to join the company. While the concept of employment and money are strange to her, she has grown to enjoy accumulating the things that money can buy.Appearance:
Tall, six feet, with grey skin, light dusting of dark grey/black fur and deep red eyes. Head is wide, the eyes are large, wide set and very reflective, with wings. Not quite bird like, bat like, or even moth like; the wings are not quite anything seen in nature and span close to twenty feet when fully spread. (If you're familiar with the traditional mothman imagery, I'm going for a more humanized version. Reference
) When appearing human she has pale skin with a slight ashen/grey undertone, dark grey hair and red eyes, her features are passable but ever so slightly off (eyes slightly too big, etc...), but the veil helps disguise this. People assume her strange manner of dress and behavior is due to her being eccentric. Sexuality:
Observant and withdrawn (but not at all cold), somewhat disconnected from events happening around her, which is not to say she doesn't take interest in them. On the contrary she is an avid spectator and is keenly interested in the world around her. Her emotions seem to be pale, washed out echoes or mimicry of what she has observed. She is almost always calm, slightly amused, with a tendency to find a strange beauty in almost any situation. She isn't a loner, but people do tend to give her space due to her tendency to talk to herself and overall "vibe". To most she comes across as harmlessly eccentric, but not amusing enough to hand around. Background:
Thera is fairly average for a mothman, though more "hands on" by their standards. She finds beauty in the commensal symbiotic relationship her species shares with humans, and in the great array and depth of suffering humans are capable of, viewing them more as a beautiful garden than as cattle. Unseen she has watched over the last 400 years, walking among people but always separate from them. She has seen wars, epidemics, massacres, and it never ceases to astound her that humans are inevitably their own greatest enemy. Despite her active nature she has managed to not get into too much trouble over the years. Maybe a tabloid printed a picture of her, once, but that was a long time ago and humans think all mothmen look alike.
Mothman is the common name for a cryptid species that is older than humanity. They are quite adept at remaining outside of notice and preternaturally gifted. Even though they spend quite a bit of time rubbing shoulders with humanity they only tend to be noticed when it is time for them to reproduce as they become much more active. (Going to resist making moths to a flame comparison.
) Feeding off the large amounts of energy released in tragic events that cause many deaths, the creatures are drawn to but never go out of their way to cause these events. Day to day they can live off very small amounts of energy but as it grows closer to time for them to ken their single egg (500-700 years old) they begin to become more noticeable/aggressive in their pursuit of this energy. Once enough energy has been gathered for the egg, the creature returns to the nesting area, claws the egg from its chest and then leaves again. The eggs hatch on their own, faster or slower depending on how much energy it has to feed on.
- Observant: Not much escapes her very large eyes, or any of her senses really.
- Manipulative: Used to influencing things from afar to observe the results Thera has become quite adept at manipulating situations over the years.
- Presence: Despite her height, when in her human form she comes across rather safe and docile, conversely in monster form most humans consider her frightening and oppressive in presence.
- Steady as she goes: Thera has never been seen to lose her temper, ever. She is very even and unbiased, making her great in situations where others lose their heads.
- The only way to be sure: Mothmen are notoriously hard to kill, at least by average human standards. While more likely to make a quick disappearance, they are quite durable.
- Distractable: Love of observing things, can cause Thera to lose her train of thought, becoming engrossed in random things.
- Priorities or lack there of: Thera doesn't really see things in terms of failure/success, events will still be taking place and as long as she is able to observe them she doesn't see what the problem is.
- Spectator: Thera is a manipulator not a fighter, which is not to say she isn't capable, but she is most likely to sit things out or assist from the side lines unless it starts to look really dicey.
- Light Weight Champ: Even though strong, Thera is quite light for her size and simply doesn't have the mass to soak up heavy blows. Normal humans wouldn't be a problem but, getting hit by a car or a super strong monster would send her flying.
- Manipulative: Its a bad habit and it doesn't turn off, even when it should.
Observing things, comparing things, tactile exploration (she likes to touch things, don't be surprised if she is rubbing her face against a pillow or touching your shirt).Face Claim:
UnknownHow did YOU Find Us?