You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 03:25:33 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Possible Malware?  (Read 366 times)

Offline WolfyTopic starter

Possible Malware?
« on: October 06, 2014, 09:29:30 PM »
So, I just scanned my computer using both Webroot and Malware Bytes. Bytes picked up one thing and seems to have gotten rid of it, but my Google Chrome was changed....think I should be worried?

Online Chrystal

Re: Possible Malware?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 08:28:35 AM »
If you are concerned, un-install it and re-install it. How was it changed? It could be that your scan removed something that had plugged itself into Chrome without you noticing, and what you have now is how it should be?

There are all sorts of tool bars that down-load themselves onto your PC and attach themselves to your browser if you're not careful. I've had something change my home page without asking me before now!

However, I would say that I don't trust Google Chrome any more than I trust Microsoft Internet Explorer. Chrome logs everything you do and transmits it to Google, who are building a huge database on you so they can target you with adverts!

Firefox is a little bit more discreet in my opinion!

Offline Psi

• Between Heaven and Hell and having a great time playing the middle.
  • Lord
  • Enchanted
  • Lost within your pretty green eyes
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Possible Malware?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 06:36:15 AM »
One I found today (my normal approach is blow away, reload from an image and patch as I can be happy its safe for banking) is to right click on the start menu item, select properties and look at the path that its launching.

If its launching %PROGRAMFILES%\..\browser.exe http://someurl.com/random string under the start menu, delete until the last is .exe

I routinely launch a browser from shortcuts and remotely sent commands with iexplore.exe http://www.chosenwebsite but I didn't think malware was changing the default start menu shortcuts until now.