(M/F) Plot-Focused; Culturally-Based and Masculine/Feminine Themes

Started by Valthazar, October 05, 2014, 06:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valthazar

If you would like to check out my writing, see my Ons/Offs thread for a list of some roleplays.

I'm interested in potentially plotting or discussing some ideas for roleplay based on either of below two themes.  I have a few more specific ideas, but rather than posting them here and asking others to "select" one, I tend to feel that collaboration is a more fun.  Let me know if either of the below themes catches your eye, and we can see if we can come up with a plot together!  :-)

Clashes Resulting from Cultural Mismatches

As someone who has spent substantial time abroad, I am always fascinated by the idea of examining intercultural and/or interracial pairings:

I think this theme is especially powerful for the purpose of exploring potential clashes, hurdles, and challenges that intercultural couples face.  I would encourage those interested in this theme to avoid viewing this as a ‘kink’ – and rather, view it as a reality of modern day life.  Often times, the intentions of both parties are genuine, yet given the differing life goals of each individual, unexpected challenges often arise.

Themes worth exploring here include:
- Overcoming biases from those in society.
- Compromising on value differences.
- Dominance from differing cultural perspectives.
- Conflicts between an individual and his/her family.
- Differing expectations of family life and gender roles.

Mismatches Between Traditionally Feminine and Masculine Behaviors

Given the fact that views on gender roles have changed in a matter of only half a century, I also think it would be fascinating to explore potential conflicts that may arise in modern day settings between men who hold the more traditional understandings of dominance, and women who hold a more progressive perspective.

These types of storylines could include situations where some sort of conflict arises as a result of one character failing to perform his/her natural roles – which at least on a subconscious level, may present itself as a flaw to the opposing character.  A simple example could include an interaction between a more traditional character, with a more progressive one – and various misunderstandings and miscommunications that result from fundamental value differences. 

Some potential examples could include a woman who is actively pursuing a professional career, and subconsciously masking her natural submissive tendencies, and desire to be in a relationship with a naturally dominant male.

Themes worth exploring here include:
- Subconscious repression of one’s true nature.
- Overcoming the self-induced shame which is often associated with submission, and finding strength.
- Traditional male dominance in the modern era, and its degree of social acceptance.
- Economic feasibility of maintaining traditional families in the modern era.
- Modern female perception of traditionally dominant men.