You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

October 20, 2018, 06:42:46 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: What's in the news?  (Read 538910 times)

Offline gaggedLouise

• Quim Queen | Collaborative juicy writer | Dasha's skirted secretary
  • Champion
  • Addict
  • Bound, gagged and unarmed but still dangerous.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: What's in the news?
« Reply #7500 on: December 07, 2017, 08:01:19 AM »
I think Morocco (and possibly Turkey once upon a time?) have a similar ban.

Turkey banned the fez, a traditional men's cap for many years. The reason being that it was seen as some kind of pro-islamist statement. Modern Turkey wanted to be secular. But with Erdogan and his islamic party, such things have reversed: now islamic symbols and headgear are quite popular in Turkey.

Offline BeorningTopic starter

« Reply #7501 on: December 07, 2017, 03:47:48 PM »
And here in Poland, our PM resigns:

https://www.politico.eu/article/polish-pm-beata-szydlo-resigns/

Actually, she was most probably *forced* to resign by the PiS leader Kaczyński and the rest of the PiS political committee. In spite of PiS's claims, Szydło has always been a puppet PM, tasked with managing the government according to Kaczyński's wishes. She had no political ideas of her own and she had little or even zero control over some cabinet members. She has been just a loyal pawn... and now, Kaczyński decided she had to go. So she resigned. Supposedly, she's going to be a vice-PM now, working under Morawiecki, who has been a vice-PM himself until today. So... she got demoted. On the wishes of a man who holds no official position whatsoever...

It was a bit of a sorry spectacle, really - the whole "Shall PiS replace Szydło" debate has been going on for at least a month. And it was a clear display of how little Szydło mattered in the PiS power structure: PiS officials were making comments on her, openly debated on her future... It must've been quite humiliating for her.

BTW. Note the way this whole change of PMs happened: Szydło didn't resign in front of the Parliament, she didn't give her resignation to the President... no, she was fired during a meeting by a party political committee. The President's approval and the Parliament's vote of confidence? Openly treated as mere technicalities. It's a power structure straight from the Communist era...

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 16/17 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #7502 on: December 07, 2017, 03:57:41 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/congress-set-to-delay-shutdown-setting-up-bigger-spending-fight-later/2017/12/07/6b6712fa-db51-11e7-b1a8-62589434a581_story.html?utm_term=.96e1a275b15b&wpisrc=al_news__alert-economy--alert-politics--alert-national&wpmk=1

They passed a stopgap spending bill that will take us right up to Christmas Eve!  Two more weeks of schoolyard bullying before the next shut down and the start of Christmas break.

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Carnite
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4

Offline Hades

• Master of Explosions, Keeper of Useless Trivia, Hopeless Minecraft Addict, Blythe's Post Ninja
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • Prepare for Doom and...oh, shiny object!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #7504 on: December 07, 2017, 08:06:37 PM »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/363552-gay-man-denied-marriage-license-by-kim-davis-will-run-against-her

I saw that in the local paper today, since the county where this all happened is close by, and also where I went to college.  I wish I was still in college just so I could vote against her and hopefully serve up a lovely dish of schadenfreude.

Offline Lustful Bride

« Reply #7505 on: December 07, 2017, 08:31:40 PM »
I saw that in the local paper today, since the county where this all happened is close by, and also where I went to college.  I wish I was still in college just so I could vote against her and hopefully serve up a lovely dish of schadenfreude.

+1 ^_^

Offline Blythe

« Reply #7506 on: December 07, 2017, 10:28:09 PM »
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/politics-state/2017/12/05/Daryl-Metcalfe-Republican-conservative-heterosexual-Pennsylvania-House/stories/201712050160

That's some incredibly severe homophobia, given that Rep. Metcalfe couldn't handle a married man with four kids touching his arm without accusing him of being gay and going on a tirade, essentially. >_>

Offline Oniya

« Reply #7507 on: December 07, 2017, 10:37:18 PM »
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/politics-state/2017/12/05/Daryl-Metcalfe-Republican-conservative-heterosexual-Pennsylvania-House/stories/201712050160

That's some incredibly severe homophobia, given that Rep. Metcalfe couldn't handle a married man with four kids touching his arm without accusing him of being gay and going on a tirade, essentially. >_>

Mr. Oniya got that in his notifications yesterday - the entire Oni household (including the cat) was just 'WTF? ???'

Offline Trieste

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #7508 on: December 08, 2017, 02:03:32 AM »
New standard reply to office harassment. "I have a wife, I love my wife. Stop touching me all the time."

This should be done regardless of gender.

Offline Lilias

• La Que Sabe ~ Shamaniac ~ MelinoĆ« ~ The Unforgiving
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Overkill is just the right amount of kill.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #7509 on: December 08, 2017, 04:22:59 AM »
Next stop: manly men are not even to touch themselves (no, not that way).

Offline RedRose

« Reply #7510 on: December 08, 2017, 06:19:19 AM »
That is so strange. Italians "gesture" a lot and definitely are traditionally not "unmanly". It is so cultural. Unless it somehow means that men should be stoic?  ???

Offline elone

« Reply #7511 on: December 08, 2017, 09:01:03 AM »
The new standard is that all men working anywhere must keep their hands in their pockets at all times unless on the computer/phone/eating.

On second thought, they might be accused of playing in thier pockets. WTF.  :P

Offline Avis habilis

« Reply #7512 on: December 08, 2017, 09:34:15 AM »
The new standard is that all men working anywhere must keep their hands in their pockets at all times unless on the computer/phone/eating.

But grabbing/scratching yourself is manly, see, so they may get a pass on that.

Offline gaggedLouise

• Champion
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #7513 on: December 08, 2017, 09:58:29 AM »

Sounds like having their hands folded/connected behind their backs would be the only solution... ;)

Offline Lilias

• La Que Sabe ~ Shamaniac ~ MelinoĆ« ~ The Unforgiving
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Overkill is just the right amount of kill.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #7514 on: December 08, 2017, 10:07:24 AM »

Sounds like having their hands folded/connected behind their backs would be the only solution... ;)

Parade rest is always an acceptable stance. ;)

Offline Oniya

« Reply #7515 on: December 08, 2017, 11:49:07 AM »

Because of the way my brain works, this comment left me listening to Weird Al's 'Polka Your Eyes Out. (helpful link) - particularly the last three clips in the song.

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 16/17 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #7516 on: December 08, 2017, 12:30:11 PM »
It's like the situation with one of our legislators who asked a person not to touch him.  The person persisted to the point he angered the legislator who ranted at him in what is now considered and inappropriate way.  I say the other person bullied him.  Both are wrong.

Offline Lustful Bride

« Reply #7517 on: December 08, 2017, 12:34:41 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/one-dead-scores-hurt-in-palestinian-day-of-rage-over-jerusalem/ar-BBGo33f?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

What can I even say?  Its sad that this really isn't all that uncommon. Just business as usual on Planet Earth. :(

Offline gaggedLouise

• Champion
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #7518 on: December 08, 2017, 02:03:12 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/one-dead-scores-hurt-in-palestinian-day-of-rage-over-jerusalem/ar-BBGo33f?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

What can I even say?  Its sad that this really isn't all that uncommon. Just business as usual on Planet Earth. :(

And most likely, it's only the beginning of the angry response... :(

Strangest crime story here for some time: A man in his fities has admitted to killing his wife, diismembering her in the garage and then frying parts of her on the garden grill (this happened during the summer). Meanwhile, he had filed her as missing with the police, but before long, suspcions centered on him. Not sure if the neighbours caught the whiff of what was going on, when the man started grilling...  ::)

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #7519 on: December 08, 2017, 02:06:19 PM »
Did he confess after the police...

*sunglasses*

...grilled him in an interrogation rooom?

Offline gaggedLouise

• Champion
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #7520 on: December 08, 2017, 02:16:24 PM »
Did he confess after the police...

*sunglasses*

...grilled him in an interrogation rooom?

He probably knew he had landed in hot water, by then. But I'm  not sure he has admitted to deliberately killing her - though just as in the Kim Wall case, it looks difficult for him to deny it seeing that he dismembered her and hid the body.

Offline Lustful Bride

« Reply #7521 on: December 08, 2017, 05:46:00 PM »
And most likely, it's only the beginning of the angry response... :(

And the cycle of violence and hate just continues :(

Offline Lustful Bride

« Reply #7522 on: December 09, 2017, 01:29:43 PM »
So, the Amazon Key is already showing its darker side.

As if giving strangers access to your home with the push of a button wasn't bad enough.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/amazon-wants-a-key-to-your-house-i-did-it-i-regretted-it/ar-BBGl9yh?li=BBnb4R7&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Offline Oniya

« Reply #7523 on: December 09, 2017, 01:55:40 PM »
I described Amazon Key to the family, and Little Oni's response was essentially this.  Then she said that it would be a good reason to set up a display of live steel in the front room.

Offline elone

« Reply #7524 on: December 09, 2017, 09:17:14 PM »
And the cycle of violence and hate just continues :(

Perhaps if Palestinians were not subjected to apartheid/colonialism/racism, backed up by the United States, then there might be less violence and hate. Who in the world thought that giving the Jews of Europe, America, Russia, etc. someone else's land would lead to any kind of peaceful coexistence. Balfour/Truman, nice move.