You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

September 23, 2017, 06:48:55 PM
Top RP Sites - Vote Daily

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

The Elliquian Herald & Post
Issue 74 (Autumn) ~ August thru October 2017

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: What's in the news?  (Read 308683 times)

Offline Caehlim

Re: What's in the news?
« Reply #725 on: April 13, 2015, 07:29:52 PM »
>_> australian?

I'm guessing no. We do have compulsory voting but he said Presidential candidates. We have Prime Ministers down here.

Offline Wajin

« Reply #726 on: April 15, 2015, 07:08:49 AM »
In other news, the Turkish ambassador to Denmark is getting pissed over a sculpture commemorating the Armenian Genocide.

Thankfully though, our national politicians actually seems to be doing a good job saying "hey, freedom of speech and expression. Besides, it's the city council who okay'ed it"

On a more serious note, I can't for the life of me understand why Turkey just doesn't man the fuck up and admit they screwed up and apologize. It was a hundred years ago, the Ottoman Empire was different from modern day Turkey.

Online Oniya

« Reply #727 on: April 15, 2015, 07:12:34 AM »
Just because it strikes me - what are the circumstances in which the sculpture came to be displayed?  Denmark and Armenia don't initially seem to have much of a connection. (but I could be mistaken.)

Offline Dashenka

« Reply #728 on: April 15, 2015, 07:14:52 AM »
Yes but even if Turkey does, Azerbaijan (who were technically involved as well) won't. Not after Armenia stole their land. Few people know about this and all claim Armenia are the victims but they are not as innocent as people think :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagorno-Karabakh_War

Online Lustful Bride

• "Logic is for Squares."
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #729 on: April 15, 2015, 08:29:45 AM »
Yes but even if Turkey does, Azerbaijan (who were technically involved as well) won't. Not after Armenia stole their land. Few people know about this and all claim Armenia are the victims but they are not as innocent as people think :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagorno-Karabakh_War

But that does not excuse a genocide.

'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.'

Which is odd that im saying this cause im usually the kind of person calling for retaliation..i think I need to go sit down and think.

Offline Dashenka

« Reply #730 on: April 15, 2015, 08:35:44 AM »
Haha no the Nagorno-Karabakh war was after the genocide of the Armenians.

It's just a very sensitive subject in that area. Both the genocide by the Turks/Ottomans as well as the civil unrest that's now called the Nagorno Karabakh war.

Sensitive enough for other countries to stay out of it. I understand where Denmark is coming from with the statue/memorial but I also understand the outrage is causes in both Turkey and no doubt Azerbaijan as well.  So while they probably meant well, I think they also pissed off quite a few people.

These kind of beehives are best left untouched by neutral countries.

Online Lustful Bride

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #731 on: April 15, 2015, 08:46:21 AM »
 :'( I don't know what to think anymore *throws arms up* I give up. im going home.  :P

Offline Dashenka

« Reply #732 on: April 15, 2015, 09:16:16 AM »
That's always a good idea, regardless the situation :D

Online Oniya

« Reply #733 on: April 15, 2015, 09:22:38 AM »
Let's keep things civil.

Online Lustful Bride

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #734 on: April 15, 2015, 09:40:03 AM »
Onto other topics then.

A Veteran was put on hold for ten minutes while calling the VA suicide hotline.....You know im not surprised, after having been to a VA hospital multiple times I don't expect anything less from the veteran's association. An absolute failure and cannot even come close to giving our Vets the help they need. >:(

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/vet-sat-hold-va-suicide-prevention-hotline-article-1.2185785

Edit: Removed my rant.  :P
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 11:02:57 AM by Lustful Bride »

Offline Ebb

« Reply #735 on: April 15, 2015, 09:55:17 AM »
On a more serious note, I can't for the life of me understand why Turkey just doesn't man the fuck up and admit they screwed up and apologize. It was a hundred years ago, the Ottoman Empire was different from modern day Turkey.

Although there are very complex reasons of national pride involved, there's also a straightforward practical reason for the Turkish government to avoid the word "genocide". Turkey is a signatory to the Genocide Convention (along with 145 other countries). If they admit to committing genocide, using that word, then they open themselves up to significant penalties, including potentially huge reparations to survivors and families. If there were a way for them to acknowledge the actions taken without using that specific term then they might choose that route, but it would likely be seen as splitting hairs. So there's a strong economic incentive for them to swing to the other extreme, denying culpability.

There's a lot of focus on this issue now, since the events of the genocide began in 1915, 100 years ago next week. I hadn't heard about the Danish sculpture, but in US news there's been a lot of attention on the Pope's recent comments on the issue.

(Note that the term "genocide" wasn't actually coined until 1943.)

Offline BeorningTopic starter

« Reply #736 on: April 15, 2015, 11:54:45 AM »
A protester disrupts a press conference of the chief of European Central Bank:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/15/ecb-protest-woman-interrupts-mario-draghi-speech

The protester... is kind of cute  ;)

Online LisztesFerenc

« Reply #737 on: April 15, 2015, 03:40:29 PM »
A protester disrupts a press conference of the chief of European Central Bank:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/15/ecb-protest-woman-interrupts-mario-draghi-speech

The protester... is kind of cute  ;)

"Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm flying!!!"

Offline Mikem

• *Cancer Survivor*
  • Permabanned
  • Seducer
  • No labels. I'm a Man and that's all that I am.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #738 on: April 15, 2015, 04:18:27 PM »
This isn't really national or world news, but it hits personally. A young couple in their twenties, as well as their toddler were killed (crushed) when a section of concrete wall from a highway overpass fell onto their vehicle as they were passing under it in my hometown. All three died from the impact. From part of a highway I had driven on too many times before, on a road I had driven on too many times before. I just can't believe the timing. Right place at the right time, for the worst reason.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/14/us/washington-overpass-accident-concrete-barrier/

Offline Dimir

« Reply #739 on: April 15, 2015, 08:41:53 PM »
Technically not "news" but CBC here in Canada is currently airing a follow-up documentary on the BP Gulf Oil Spill disaster. The chemical dispersment that was used to deal with the oil is banned in several countries and when mixed with the oil, becomes extra toxic. People have chronic coughs and rashes when exposed to the gulf water and dry suits are melting and coming apart. Also tar balls continue to wash up on shore.

I pity the residents of that region, I really do.

Online gaggedLouise

• Quim Queen | Collaborative juicy writer | Dasha's skirted secretary
  • Champion
  • Enchanter
  • Bound, gagged and unarmed but still dangerous.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #740 on: April 20, 2015, 05:53:48 AM »
The immigrants/refugees/people trafficking boat that sank between Libya and Malta in the night leading into Sunday is topping the news here, a very discomforting story that once again blows open a wound of despair, war (in Africa), secret people smuggling and inadequate sea patrolling and funding. I just heard that the ship was only about 20 meters (about 70 feet) in length and that some of the persons on board may have been locked under metal gates, trapping them when the ship sank. I'm just thinking, how can a ship that's only 20 meter in length hold about 700 people - even if some of them are kids. And how desperate or thoughtless do you have to be to try to sail that ship, with that number of people, across hundreds of miles of open sea?

The words "floating coffin" have rarely seemed more appropriate.  :-(
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 05:55:30 AM by gaggedLouise »

« Reply #741 on: April 20, 2015, 11:38:06 AM »
It's been in the news over here, too.

Another hot issue is the recent comments of the FBI chief about the Holocaust and Poland:

http://www.thenews.pl/1/2/Artykul/204015,FBI-chief-Poles-partly-responsible-for-Holocaust
http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/204080,Komorowski-Painstaking-work-needed-to-quash-WWII-stereotypes

I wonder if this is making into the news over in the States?

Offline Dimir

« Reply #742 on: April 20, 2015, 01:00:04 PM »
It's been in the news over here, too.

Another hot issue is the recent comments of the FBI chief about the Holocaust and Poland:

http://www.thenews.pl/1/2/Artykul/204015,FBI-chief-Poles-partly-responsible-for-Holocaust
http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/204080,Komorowski-Painstaking-work-needed-to-quash-WWII-stereotypes

I wonder if this is making into the news over in the States?

I don't think the FBI chief realizes that any Nazi occupied country had to bend to the Nazi's demands, including aiding in the Holocaust, so I agree that his comments were misworded.

« Reply #743 on: April 20, 2015, 01:29:16 PM »
I don't think the FBI chief realizes that any Nazi occupied country had to bend to the Nazi's demands, including aiding in the Holocaust, so I agree that his comments were misworded.

It's worse than that, actually. Poland wasn't a case similar to France, where the Nazis set up a puppet government - in Poland's case, there was *no government*. Germans have simply annexed a big part of Poland and made it a part of Germany - and what was left, was made into a territory named "General Government", which was also strictly under German control. No Polish government in any shape or form ever bent to the Nazis and co-operated in the Holocaust.

Online gaggedLouise

• Champion
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #744 on: April 20, 2015, 02:13:07 PM »
Astronomers have discovered a huge super hole in space - a giant void in the fabric of the universe that seems mysteriously empty of galaxies...

Is this where you might enter another universe? *knock knock*  ::)

« Reply #745 on: April 20, 2015, 03:01:19 PM »
Or... is it a place where an Eldritch Abomination is trapped?  :o

Oh! I know what it is! It is the Eye of Terror!

Offline Kythia

• My smile is like a breath of spring, My voice is soft like summer rain
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • And you can not compare with me: Kythia
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #746 on: April 20, 2015, 03:27:30 PM »
We've known about these godless epicentres of pure suckitude and void for a while.

Online gaggedLouise

• Champion
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #747 on: April 20, 2015, 03:36:03 PM »
We've known about these godless epicentres of pure suckitude and void for a while.

Have you bumped into any Mackems lately, Kythia?  :D

Offline Dashenka

« Reply #748 on: April 21, 2015, 03:34:42 AM »

My ex girlfriend, who's from Newcastle, calls it Scumderland...

On a different note:

The UK government is beginning to look silly. The implement sanctions against Russia and Russian companies but they clearly haven't thought it through at all what the consequences would be. First BP had to pay a 3 billion pound fine to Rosneft for terminating the contract, now there's this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32389369

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:36:20 AM by Dashenka »

Offline consortium11