You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 10:47:24 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: What's in the news?  (Read 172867 times)

Online Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: What's in the news?
« Reply #475 on: February 17, 2015, 09:09:31 AM »
Talk about police checkpoints and instituting fashion-model standards via body-mass index.

Alos, I learned that perfectly sculpted six-pack abs are quite unhealthy for men to have. Did not know that.

Offline Dimir

« Reply #476 on: February 17, 2015, 03:27:46 PM »
An Idaho and Wasington State fugitive named Arturo Mendoza was arrested after officers responded to an accidental 911 call placed by a child. LOL.

http://www.idahopress.com/news/washington-state-fugitive-captured-in-nampa/article_29f34df2-b6dd-11e4-9413-0f1a87b31ec1.html?mode=jqm

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #477 on: February 17, 2015, 03:35:48 PM »
An Idaho and Wasington State fugitive named Arturo Mendoza was arrested after officers responded to an accidental 911 call placed by a child. LOL.

http://www.idahopress.com/news/washington-state-fugitive-captured-in-nampa/article_29f34df2-b6dd-11e4-9413-0f1a87b31ec1.html?mode=jqm

Best part of that article:

A police robot found Mendoza sleeping in a bedroom, Ramirez stated. He left the home and surrendered without incident.

Offline Dimir

« Reply #478 on: February 17, 2015, 04:37:16 PM »
I follow true crime cases a lot so I love it when fugitives get caught because of amusing reasons and when their apprehensions go off without anyone getting hurt.

Offline Caehlim

« Reply #479 on: February 17, 2015, 06:17:43 PM »
In Melbourne, police fined a driver for playing a trumpet while driving. They had reports he was driving erratically and went to investigate resulting in the following line.

Police managed to catch up with the car and pulled alongside it to check on the driver. To their shock, they saw the man was playing the brass instrument as he drove.

Offline Kythia

• Noooo-one Fights like Kythia no-one bites like Kythia
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • No one chain smokes Marlboro lights like Kythia
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #480 on: February 17, 2015, 06:31:03 PM »
While over here the Church has sent a letter to parliament complaining about political culture, social issues being used as political football and a fostered sense of apathy.  It's being widely viewed as an attack on the ruling coalition but probably wasn't deliberately - as a organisation the Church sits far more to the left than the Conservatives so putting its view forwards is necessarily going to look like an attack.

Full text for those interested, very few I would suspect.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #482 on: February 17, 2015, 08:46:58 PM »
I just - I have no words.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/government/oklahoma-legislative-committee-questions-legality-of-advanced-placement-courses-in/article_2b257556-b62c-5a92-862e-8e9821a29bbc.html

I'm more concerned about the bit at the end where they suspended using letter grades. Can't like Susy Snowflake be graded on her performance instead of her effort and participation, can we?

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #483 on: February 17, 2015, 08:56:29 PM »
I looked into that one, too - it appears to be directed at the grading of schools, not the grading of students.  Is the school performing up to snuff with other schools.  It also states that whatever 'mark' the school receives this year, will be carried over for the 2015-2016 session, so schools will simply have no improvement or decline during that time.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #484 on: February 17, 2015, 09:04:33 PM »
Huh, okay. That's slightly less mindboggling.

Offline consortium11

« Reply #485 on: February 17, 2015, 09:07:24 PM »
I'm more concerned about the bit at the end where they suspended using letter grades. Can't like Susy Snowflake be graded on her performance instead of her effort and participation, can we?

I don't think that's what it does; having glanced over the bill itself it appears to do with rating the schools rather than the students.

Edit: Oniya beat me to it.

Offline Valthazar

• Writer ͏͏● Educator ● Gamer ● Roleplayer ● Debater ● Tech Connoisseur ● Gym Rat ● Procrastinator ● As they say, "A simple PM may lead to lifelong friendship" ▬▬▬▬
  • Suspended
  • Seducer
  • Proceed and be bold. Embrace your insecurities.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #486 on: February 17, 2015, 09:28:09 PM »
As side point, there is a totally unrelated movement to do away with A-F student grading (especially in elementary schools).  A lot of times, the process of learning requires kids to grow at their own pace.  Getting a C is intended to give the student feedback on what they should focus on for next time.  But all too often, a C is seen as "failure" - resulting in crying and arguments at home.  The parent sees a "C" on a report card, freaks out, and then pressures the student unnecessarily.  This often leads to taking shortcuts, cheating, and overall bad education. 

Don't worry though, number/letting grading is here to stay with common core.  (I'm not a fan of common core).

Offline Dimir

« Reply #487 on: February 18, 2015, 05:32:27 PM »
Wen Yen Gold, a fugitive out of California sought for four years in connection with a human trafficking investigation, turned herself in yesterday morning.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/02/18/human-sex-trafficking-bay-area-hayward-fugitive/

Offline AndyZ

« Reply #488 on: February 18, 2015, 11:20:39 PM »
An Egyptian court put a student in jail for promoting atheism and insulting Islam.

http://news.yahoo.com/egypt-jails-student-over-facebook-atheism-page-184147297.html

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #489 on: February 18, 2015, 11:31:45 PM »

Offline AndyZ

« Reply #490 on: February 18, 2015, 11:34:34 PM »
Sorry, didn't realize this was now a rather common ordeal over there.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #491 on: February 18, 2015, 11:37:08 PM »
I don't know about common, but the link even mentions that another student was jailed in January for the exact same crime.

Offline Kythia

• Dame
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #492 on: February 20, 2015, 12:28:27 PM »
The One Ring Suspension kid from upthread?  Yeah, not true

Offline Hemingway

« Reply #493 on: February 20, 2015, 08:02:30 PM »
So, one of the largest newspapers here literally posted a 'you won't believe'-type article about quotes from one of the parties currently in government. I've never seen that before. Now, I have nothing but contempt for that party, but . . .

Nah, I'm kidding. They really deserve it, with the sort rhetoric they spew, using the recent shooting in Copenhagen as fuel for their anti-muslim rhetoric. Even the prime minister called them out on it - and they're supposed to be in a coalition!

Offline Caehlim

« Reply #494 on: February 21, 2015, 12:57:00 AM »
Fiona Patten, leader of the Australian Sex Party, has just been elected in the Victorian state elections being the first member of that party to win a seat.

As she says "Indeed I may be the first former sex worker to be elected to a parliament anywhere in this country, although no doubt the clients of sex workers have been elected in much greater numbers before me."

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #495 on: February 21, 2015, 01:08:23 AM »
Man, Australia is awesome sometimes. Pity about your insane censorship/game import laws, and the whole 'every living wild creature on the continent has a single-minded desire to murder you' thing.

Offline Kythia

• Dame
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #496 on: February 21, 2015, 12:23:54 PM »
Prince Harry and Emma Watson are dating?  I think?  That seems to be the news but its pretty weird.

Offline consortium11

« Reply #497 on: February 21, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »
Prince Harry and Emma Watson are dating?  I think?  That seems to be the news but its pretty weird.

Emma Watson may say that feminism liberates men from gender stereotypes but if you want to actually date Emma Watson then you'd better be either a tall, handsome, Oxford student and rugby player or an incredibly rich international playboy soldier who gets his own share of "sexiest" accolades and just happens to be a prince.

Offline BeorningTopic starter

« Reply #498 on: February 21, 2015, 12:47:05 PM »

Huh.

Somewhat bizarre news from here: a theatre troupe named Pożar w Burdelu (Fire in the Whorehouse) tried to have their name patented as a trademark. But the Patent Office refused to issue a patent on the grounds that the name was indecent...  ::)

In another news, Warsaw lost one of its bridges last Saturday. It's a kind of mind-boggling situation, really: apparently, some planks lying next to the bridge somehow went on fire. That small fire spread to wooden installation inside the bridge... and that caused a massive fire that managed to damage the bridge itself. Now the whole bridge will have to taken apart and repaired - which, according to the authorities, is going to take over a year. As a Warsaw resident, I can tell that this situation is just fantastic  ::)

In yet another news, the Polish presidential campaigs intensifies. Some more candidates appear - for once, the left side of the political spectrum will be represented by four possible candidates. Not that any of them has any chance of winning... Also, the enigmatic Magdalena Ogórek (who has not appeared publicly since having been nominated as a candidate) finally presented some ideas for her presidency - in an emotional, yet scripted, speech:

She still refuses to answer any questions asked by any media, though, making her campaign seem quite bizarre...

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #499 on: February 21, 2015, 12:56:33 PM »
...Can you translate the gist of it for the non-Polish speakers? What makes her enigmatic and/or bizarre?