You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 10, 2016, 12:36:32 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: What's in the news?  (Read 176027 times)

Sara Nilsson, Avalon29 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Missy

Re: What's in the news?
« Reply #4050 on: August 27, 2016, 04:21:07 PM »
At the risk of coming across as pedantic, but there is no such thing as an "opinion editorial" (would be rather tautological anyway). That's a common misreading of "op-ed", which actually stands for "printed opposite the editorial page". I know it sounds a bit like splitting hairs, but it can be useful to distinguish what actually is an official expression of a paper's editorial board's stance and what isn't.

That said, this sure was a major mistake that shouldn't have happened in any mass-circulation paper that has some self-respect.

It's fine, I really meant more the difference between representing facts and making your argument and bending facts to meet your argument. More or less if that makes sense.

It doesn't surprise me it's a real problem.

Offline Missy

« Reply #4051 on: August 27, 2016, 04:32:47 PM »
North Korea threatens to fire at search lights of US and SK forces at the DMZ.

Which will be what they say if troopers on the allied side get 'accidentally' shot.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/n-korea-threatens-to-fire-at-us-s-korea-troops-lights/ar-BBw75HU?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

News about North Korea just makes me frustrated.

Online Lustful Bride

• "Logic is for Squares."
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4052 on: August 27, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »
News about North Korea just makes me frustrated.

I can hear my grandfather turning in his grave. (Korean war vet)

"We must finish the job girl, dont you understand!?"

Online Cassandra LeMay

« Reply #4053 on: August 27, 2016, 05:37:05 PM »
I can hear my grandfather turning in his grave. (Korean war vet)

"We must finish the job girl, dont you understand!?"
Funny thing is that the job has been finished for 60 years now. I know most Americans probably see Korea as a loss, not a win, but the war did accomplish exactly what the UN mandate for the war called for, i.e. kicking the North Koreans out of South Korea and forcing them to retreat to the 38th parallel. That was the goal stated in UN Security Council Resolution 83 and it was (and still is) the outcome of the war. I'd call that mission accomplished.

Online Lustful Bride

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4054 on: August 27, 2016, 05:43:12 PM »
Funny thing is that the job has been finished for 60 years now. I know most Americans probably see Korea as a loss, not a win, but the war did accomplish exactly what the UN mandate for the war called for, i.e. kicking the North Koreans out of South Korea and forcing them to retreat to the 38th parallel. That was the goal stated in UN Security Council Resolution 83 and it was (and still is) the outcome of the war. I'd call that mission accomplished.

The war is still technically ongoing, no real end of hostilities has come just a long standing armistice/cease fire.

The job is only half done in my own eyes.

Offline gaggedLouise

• Quim Queen | Collaborative juicy writer
  • Champion
  • Enchanter
  • Bound, gagged and unarmed but still dangerous.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4055 on: August 27, 2016, 06:33:38 PM »
The city of Istanbul has inaugurated a new, third bridge across the Bosphorus. Certainly needed in a 14-million people megacity - but I can't help wondering how long it will be before somebody tries to target it with bombs...  :-( There are multiple groups that might like to score a hit and Istanbul has seen several heavy terrorist attacks lately.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 06:36:50 PM by gaggedLouise »

Online Lustful Bride

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4056 on: August 27, 2016, 07:55:25 PM »

Online Lustful Bride

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4057 on: August 28, 2016, 02:17:21 PM »

Online Sara Nilsson

« Reply #4058 on: August 29, 2016, 02:52:06 PM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37215553

Gene Wilder passed away, age 83 :( Now i am all bummed out.

Offline TaintedAndDelish

« Reply #4059 on: August 29, 2016, 06:02:55 PM »

Facebook fires staff that manages their "Trending News" feature. As a result, the algorithm they used to generate news article goes off the rails and spews out a false story about Megyn Kelly of Fox news and a true story about a (NSFW) man whacking off with a McChicken sandwich.  I've never tried one and as of now, I don't think I ever will. I hope and pray ( to the FSM ) that this never goes viral like the Harlem Shake.

News article from The Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/29/facebook-fires-trending-topics-team-algorithm

What's of more interest to me though, is the subject of algorithmically selected or generated news. It raises a few questions for me such as:

* if it's generated by a machine, is it really worth reading?
 * Is it possible that one day, computer-automated research and generation of news and other printed literature might prove to be superior to human researched and written material?
 * Might this be the end of human journalists?
 * How likely is it that computer-generated information and news sources might one day turn against us much like how some human journalists already have. ( ie. propaganda and rhetoric )

On the last point, it sounds a little far fetched for a computer or program to deliberately mislead, but not so far fetched if you think of a news generating machine being influenced ( ie. deliberate fed misinformation ) by an outside actor who wanted to influence the material that it produced.

Offline Skylarblueskys

« Reply #4060 on: August 29, 2016, 06:46:26 PM »
Colin (freaking) Kaepernick!!!!!

Something amazing has happened in the sports world this week. We all (US ppl and people who follow gymnastics) remember the Gabby Douglas incident at the olympics this year and how she was dragged for hand placement. Well a National Football League QB took a stand by not standing for the national anthem before a game. It's gotten him all kinds of backlash but also his speech was amazing and has brought to light some of the US citizens true feelings. He's lost tons of followers on social media and received a crap ton of threats. But, he's also gotten support and applause. I, for one, am thrilled and applaud him for his bravery.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #4061 on: August 29, 2016, 06:55:56 PM »
Colin (freaking) Kaepernick!!!!!

Something amazing has happened in the sports world this week. We all (US ppl and people who follow gymnastics) remember the Gabby Douglas incident at the olympics this year and how she was dragged for hand placement. Well a National Football League QB took a stand by not standing for the national anthem before a game. It's gotten him all kinds of backlash but also his speech was amazing and has brought to light some of the US citizens true feelings. He's lost tons of followers on social media and received a crap ton of threats. But, he's also gotten support and applause. I, for one, am thrilled and applaud him for his bravery.

'You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag [or an anthem].  The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms.'

Online Lustful Bride

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4062 on: August 29, 2016, 06:57:24 PM »
'You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag [or an anthem].  The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms.'

I dislike flag burning as it is insulting to every soldier who died for that flag.

But they are free to do so if they please. *Internally calling it heresy* :P

Online Sara Nilsson

« Reply #4063 on: August 29, 2016, 07:04:10 PM »
As someone said, and I paraphrase.

"You are mad at someone for not standing up during the national anthem to protest the inequalities in the system. But you are not mad at said inequalities."

As a non american I honestly never understood this almost fetish for the national anthem and pledge of allegiance. In sweden sure we stand up when we sing the national anthem but we only do it like.. two or three times a year and no pledge of allegiance. So to me its, meh couldn't care less about it if I tried. It just strikes me as odd that people are sooo up in arms over it and not up in arms over how we treat fellow human beings in this country based on skin, ethnicity, gender identity or sexuality.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4064 on: August 29, 2016, 07:05:58 PM »
The quote I posted is from a Michael Douglas movie called 'The American President' (my addition in brackets).  One of the people I follow on Facebook had a bit to say about the Kaepernick kerfuffle from the point of view of a veteran:

https://www.facebook.com/Stonekettle/posts/1084172264951509

Online Lustful Bride

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4065 on: August 29, 2016, 07:10:42 PM »
The quote I posted is from a Michael Douglas movie called 'The American President' (my addition in brackets).  One of the people I follow on Facebook had a bit to say about the Kaepernick kerfuffle from the point of view of a veteran:

https://www.facebook.com/Stonekettle/posts/1084172264951509

Heheh well you've got me there. Though I wasn't complaining about him choosing to sit down, just on the flag burning :P

Online Lustful Bride

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4067 on: August 29, 2016, 11:05:07 PM »
Quite a few of the Kaepernick responses are interesting, especially the one from Alejandro Villenueva of the Pittsburgh Steelers.  He is a former Army Ranger who came to football after his military service and three tours in Afghanistan.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/steelers-tackle-and-former-army-ranger-alejandro-villanueva-discusses-colin-kaepernicks-protest-of-the-national-anthem/ar-AAidCDX?li=BBnb7Kz&OCID=AVRES007

Offline gaggedLouise

• Champion
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4068 on: August 30, 2016, 01:01:31 AM »
The Anthropocene age is here - the group of geologists and geophysicists appointed to take a look at the question have settled for suggesting that a new geological stage took over in the aftermath of WW2. Nuclear tests and nuclear plants, carbon dioxide rise in the atmosphere, the massive use of plastic and the growth of big cities and their motorways and railways would help define a new epoch.

If the proposal goes through with the body of people responsible for calibrating the geological timescale (seems likely, at this point) the new epoch will be written into the charts in a few years time. Marking the end of the Holocene, which had lasted since the end of the latest big glaciation.

Big news, indeed.

Online Lustful Bride

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4069 on: August 30, 2016, 01:26:29 AM »
The Anthropocene age is here - the group of geologists and geophysicists appointed to take a look at the question have settled for suggesting that a new geological stage took over in the aftermath of WW2. Nuclear tests and nuclear plants, carbon dioxide rise in the atmosphere, the massive use of plastic and the growth of big cities and their motorways and railways would help define a new epoch.

If the proposal goes through with the body of people responsible for calibrating the geological timescale (seems likely, at this point) the new epoch will be written into the charts in a few years time. Marking the end of the Holocene, which had lasted since the end of the latest big glaciation.

Big news, indeed.

So is it panic time yet?

Offline gaggedLouise

• Champion
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4070 on: August 30, 2016, 01:33:52 AM »
So is it panic time yet?

Not really. No need to move New York City, London or Stockholm 100' higher up yet...  ;)

Online AmberStarfire

• Rogue Starlight ~ Fantasy Novelist ~ This Is Who We Are ~ Scully to his Mulder
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • ❤ Snuggler of the Wyld and Hairy ❤
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1

Online Lustful Bride

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4072 on: August 30, 2016, 09:40:54 AM »
A Person or Persons in a clown suit has been reported repeatedly trying to lure children away in Greenville South Carolina.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/children-claim-clown-tried-to-lure-them-into-woods/ar-AAidEaY?ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

If you live in that area keep an eye out for anyone suspicious near children.

Offline Renegade Vile

« Reply #4073 on: August 30, 2016, 10:05:51 AM »
A Person or Persons in a clown suit has been reported repeatedly trying to lure children away in Greenville South Carolina.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/children-claim-clown-tried-to-lure-them-into-woods/ar-AAidEaY?ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

If you live in that area keep an eye out for anyone suspicious near children.

I have to ask, has anyone -ever-, even when they were kids, not thought clowns are one of the creepiest things ever? If I saw one of them beckon at me with the promise of candy and balloons I'd have wet myself.

Online Lustful Bride

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4074 on: August 30, 2016, 10:09:16 AM »
I have to ask, has anyone -ever-, even when they were kids, not thought clowns are one of the creepiest things ever? If I saw one of them beckon at me with the promise of candy and balloons I'd have wet myself.

I am with you there. :P

The movie IT terrified me when I was little and left me afraid of clowns.

'They All Flooooaattt down here.'