News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaintedAndDelish

OMG, It's here! Treatment-Resistant Lice!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/head-lice-resistant-to-over-the-counter-products-in-25-states_55d36ff1e4b0ab468d9e91f5

By god, this is worse than being smote with hemorrhoids, locusts and frogs. How will we ever cope with the itchiness and the shame... *facepalm*

consortium11

Quote from: Beorning on August 20, 2015, 02:08:31 PM
Greece's PM just resigned:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/20/europe/greece-tsipras-resigns/index.html

Fully expected and in political terms a sensible decision. He gets to try and continue his purge of the elements of Syriza that opposed his volte-face on the bailout and its conditions while forming a new government who will be more amenable to his grandstanding.

Ephiral

From the current handbook of the Conservative Party of Canada:

Also, section 79 wants to give religious organizations the "human right" to discriminate.

This is a dead issue in Canada. It was settled a decade ago. The oppositiuon is a tiny fringe - and the Conservatives think appealing to that tiny fringe is more important than affirming the equality of all citizens.

If they weren't about to lose, it'd be terrifying.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Ephiral on August 20, 2015, 09:26:10 PM
If they weren't about to lose, it'd be terrifying.
As much as I hope for Canada that the Cons won't win another election, I think it's too early to make any predictions about the election. Sure, the NDP is going strong in the polls, but in a first-past-the-post system that is not a terribly good indicator of the seats a party might actually win. And to win, the NDP will have to repeat its success in Quebec, but things there might have changed enough that the Bloc will take seats the NDP won the last time around. That's something the national polls I've seen don't realy adress.

While I would love to see you Canadians heave Steve, I'll only open the champagne when the final results show that it's done.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Ephiral

The most recent polls in Quebec specifically show the NDP with a 20-point lead over their nearest competition, with the Bloc coming in third of the big 4 at 16.3%. Barring something really screwy, I'd be surprised to see the results you're predicting.

I'd like to say that there's no way in hell a government dealing with criminal charges due to misappropriation of funds and shady action on Constitutional matters and such a disconnected, ass-backward understanding of Canadian values could win, but... I'm less optimistic on that front.

Ironwolf85

and I thought we had problems with the current crop of republicans 0w0
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Lustful Bride

In France two Americans (some sources were saying their Marines but I'm unsure at the moment) stopped an armed gunman from going on a killing spree on a train.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/two-americans-overpower-gunman-in-france-train-shooting/ar-BBlYPyl?ocid=iehp

That's the way to do it. If you're gonna go down, try to take the killer with you, might end up surviving and saving the day. 8-)

Update: 3 civilians were injured but no reported death's yet and now the sources are saying 3 marines wrestled the gunman down.

Dashenka

BBC and Dutch newssites only mentioned the Americans heard the man in the toilet putting the gun together. They didn't mention them overpowering them.

If they did though, kudo's.

*edit*

It now says it was the two American marines that overpowered the man. Both of them are critically injured and taken to hospital, one passenger, a French actor, was injured on his hand, trying to break the glass.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

TheGlyphstone

And unrelated, but from the same news website, two women are the first female graduates of the US Army Ranger School, re-opening the usual debates and arguments over allowing women into combat roles.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/first-female-graduates-of-ranger-school-earn-elite-tab/ar-BBlXlrH?ocid=iehp

Definitely a pair of badass ladies, not that I need any evidence of that possibility after spending years being kicked around the ring by the girls in my martial arts classes. ;D

Beorning

Okay, something awe-dropping I just heard in news service on one of Polish TV stations...

Today, a corpse of a whale has been spotted near one of Polish beaches (it's an unusual occurrence, as whales don't usually appear back here). The anchor's opening line for the news:

"The Baltic sea has not seen a fish like that in one hudred years!"

*headdesks*

Dashenka

Beorning we both know that wasn't a whale....

it was a Russian submarine..

Ask the Swedes, they will know :)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Dashenka on August 22, 2015, 01:36:16 PM

it was YO MOMMA!

Couldn't resist.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 21, 2015, 02:55:48 PM
In France two Americans (some sources were saying their Marines but I'm unsure at the moment) stopped an armed gunman from going on a killing spree on a train.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/two-americans-overpower-gunman-in-france-train-shooting/ar-BBlYPyl?ocid=iehp

That's the way to do it. If you're gonna go down, try to take the killer with you, might end up surviving and saving the day. 8-)

Update: 3 civilians were injured but no reported death's yet and now the sources are saying 3 marines wrestled the gunman down.

Very brave inded. I've heard news outlets saying they were marines off duty or (others saying) civilians, either way it was very valiant.

Noticed the two female US rangers too - kudos to them!

Quote from: Dashenka on August 22, 2015, 01:36:16 PM

it was a Russian submarine..

Ask the Swedes, they will know :)

Bah!  :D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Ironwolf85

North korea is rattling it's sabers, and even china is getting sick of Kim 3's shit  :P
but that's not juicy enough for this site, howabout this!

http://news.yahoo.com/jury-weighs-fate-york-man-death-ray-case-171505004.html

Far right KKK nutcase builds what he believes is a death ray to kill muslims and "stop" barack obama... somehow...
he has convicted for trying to build a weapon of mass distruction.

See these fuckers make you ashamed to share a country and culture with them >,<
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on August 23, 2015, 07:48:19 AM
North korea is rattling it's sabers, and even china is getting sick of Kim 3's shit  :P

Kim Jong Ung: Electric Boogaloo!

As for the KKK guy, even a blind squirrel can find a nut. They should check the guy's home and make sure hes not trying to be the Unibomber 2.0

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on August 23, 2015, 07:48:19 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/jury-weighs-fate-york-man-death-ray-case-171505004.html

Far right KKK nutcase builds what he believes is a death ray to kill muslims and "stop" barack obama... somehow...
he has convicted for trying to build a weapon of mass distruction.

See these fuckers make you ashamed to share a country and culture with them >,<

Like this guy?  :D

Zakharra

Quote from: gaggedLouise on August 22, 2015, 02:00:18 PM
Very brave inded. I've heard news outlets saying they were marines off duty or (others saying) civilians, either way it was very valiant.

Noticed the two female US rangers too - kudos to them!

I heard that too. Later now it seems it wasn't US Marines, but a US Air Force man, a Guardsman (not sure is National guard or Coastguard. Probably Nat. Guard), and a British IT consultant that jumped the would be terrorist shooter.  Those men deserve every bit of praise for stopping what would have been a horrific massacre. And it looks like they are getting the best care out there too.  :-)

Lustful Bride

French President will be awarding the heroes who stopped the train shooting!  ;D

These men are real heroes and its good that they are being recognized for doing what was right.  :-)

Ephiral

gaggedLouise

ISIS make good on their earlier threats and blow up the Roman Temple of Bel in Palmyra. According to state Syrian sources as well as ISIS themselves, the magnificent temple was smashed from within with powerful explosives, and this afterwards made some of the outer colonnades fall in. It was one of the largest extant, and among the best preserved temples of classical antiquity. Ironically it had remained unassaulted for many centuries because it was converted into a mosque (and before that, I think, a church), so ISIS actually blew up a sanctuary of their own religion.  :P

A week or so earlier, news came through that they had killed an eighty-year old archaeologist who had stayed in the city and helped hide and bring into safety many smaller objects such as statues, Roman jewellery and urns - when he refused to tell the new bosses where those ancient pieces were hidden, and apparently under torture, they had him put to death. Effing bastards.  >:(

From one war zone to another: at a parade held on Ukraine's Independence Day in Kiev, president Poroshenko dismisses the breakaway republics on the eastern border and makes an unusual literary allusion: "Those are fictional countries, just like Mordor".

Well, at least he didn't go five steps further and say Russia was like Mordor.  ::)

Lustful Bride

Quote from: gaggedLouise on August 24, 2015, 05:55:06 AM
ISIS make good on their earlier threats and blow up the Roman Temple of Bel in Palmyra. According to state Syrian sources as well as ISIS themselves, the magnificent temple was smashed from within with powerful explosives, and this afterwards made some of the outer colonnades fall in. It was one of the largest extant, and among the best preserved temples of classical antiquity. Ironically it had remained unassaulted for many centuries because it was converted into a mosque (and before that, I think, a church), so ISIS actually blew up a sanctuary of their own religion.  :P

A week or so earlier, news came through that they had killed an eighty-year old archaeologist who had stayed in the city and helped hide and bring into safety many smaller objects such as statues, Roman jewellery and urns - when he refused to tell the new bosses where those ancient pieces were hidden, and apparently under torture, they had him put to death. Effing bastards.  >:(

*goes full Charleston Heston about them being bastards and damming them to hell* They're wiping away history! Its painful for a history nerd like me! I can't believe this insane destruction.

And that poor old man, hes a hero if there ever was one. Standing up in the face of evil.

Dashenka

So many things I have to say about IS and how the world is doing the square root of Jack about them and all their crimes.....

But I shall not. Not here.

Lustful Bride

Apparently Bath Salts 2.0 is out and driving people insane. Its now called Flakka and hitting the streets hard.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/flakka-the-new-killer-drug-is-spreading-across-the-country/ar-BBm2ICF?ocid=HPCDHP

Who wants to start taking bets on when there will be another zombie attack? I thought the point of drugs was to get the user hooked for life, not make them into Rage zombies that take 15 rounds to put down @_@

consortium11

Quote from: Ephiral on August 23, 2015, 11:50:17 PM
Slate voting has not broken the Hugos.

Even setting aside the issue of whether an organized campaign to no-award categories on account of who the nominees were rather than the quality of their work counts as a slate breaking the awards, it's worth noting that it was the extreme Rabid Puppies who played kingmaker when it came to best novel; their support for Three Body Problem took it beyond The Goblin Emperor.

Which does raise another issue; the reason Three Body Problem didn't make the Rabid Puppies shortlist was because Vox Day/Theodore Beale hadn't read it by the time nominations had to be in. About a month later he did read it, really liked it and urged his followers to vote for it when it came onto the ballot due to another author dropping out. If Beale had read the book a month earlier and put it on his reading list then the novel that would have come second even without any Rabid Puppy support would have likely just been no-awarded. If anything that demonstrates a point both the Rabid and Sad Puppies were attempting to make; the Hugo Awards aren't about the quality of the entries.

Of course, that's a point anyone who's followed the Hugo's has known for a long time. Campaigning, networking and making the right friends who'll recommend you to the right people has always been a major part to getting a place on the ballot and then getting a win, especially in the less popular categories. GRRM, who's a fixture at Dragoncon, made that clear during his back and forth with Correia.