You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 09:00:13 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: D&D 5th ed. Homebrew Race Help  (Read 498 times)

Offline InkiduTopic starter

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
D&D 5th ed. Homebrew Race Help
« on: September 17, 2014, 02:42:02 PM »
So I'm trying to get this race up for a 5th edition game. I've gotten it mostly in line with 5th ed, but I'm looking for as many eyes as possible on the flying aspect. 5th ed requires a little more common sense and what-not where motion is concerned (which makes it a boon for internet games as far as I'm concerned) but I want to make sure that the ability is not over-powered, but I think I've got it well bellow the flight spell (and the flight spell is more like levitate, mage ain't gotta' flap no wings). I've used every flying monster revealed to try and get it balanced out, but I'm ever open to criticism.

Buteo:

Ability Score Increases: +2 dex +1 int
Speed: 20ft walking, 30ft flying (Fly half in med armor, none in heavy) Buteos can only fly for one turn's worth of movement. They must land or risk falling. Landing costs no movement if there is a surface 5ft from you. (represents gliding into a wall or to a surface/perch) So if the flying zeros out they can glide.
Dark vision: See 60ft in in dark
Eagle-eyed: Proficient in perception.
Buteo Weapon proficency: Halberd, sickle, javelin, handaxe
Fearless Spirit: Advantage on saving throws against fear effects
Keen Sight: Advantage on perception checks (wis) that rely on sight.
Language: Buteo and common.

Offline InkiduTopic starter

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: D&D 5th ed. Homebrew Race Help
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 07:29:42 PM »
Combat Flying: While buteos can normally fly, flying in quick, stressful, and combat situations requires much more effort.

As a bonus action a buteo may choose to take off and fly 30ft. in one turn in a space that is one size category larger than themselves (med) or greater.

During this action a buteo can do anything that doesn't require that they be on the ground (thing like pulling levers, lifting objects over their heads, and common sense stuff like not reading books). A buteo can only use melee, unarmed and thrown weapons they're proficient in. They can initiate a grapple ending flight, or a shove (only ending flight if they fail). They can cast spells that only require one turn or less of preparation provided they can pass the concentration check.

If a buteo is damaged or otherwise distracted by an ability or spell effect he must pass a concentration check of 10+damage taken, or 10+spell level or immediately fall prone (taking fall damage if applicable).

If a buteo fails a saving throw he or she falls prone. If they succeed the saving throw they must make an additional concentration check equal to the saving throw or immediately land within five feet.

If a buteo becomes incapacitated flight immediately ends and they fall prone. 

Weight restrictions apply.

That will let them fly in a traveling way and a combat way, so it seems like they suck less at flying.

Offline Muse

• Bibliopheliac -- Luna's Arcangel -- PiP's Sidhe Lord -- Karasu's Heartthrob -- Tyloka's Dragon -- Mistress Voluptuouss's Hand Bra -- Making Allanger Welcome at her Destination
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
Re: D&D 5th ed. Homebrew Race Help
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:26:11 PM »
  hi Inkidu. 

I'm looking to see what I can contribute here, though I'm still very knew to fifth edition. 

Are Ubteo wings separate from their arms? 

Where I understand how flight is a powerful ability with a lot of effects on game mechanics, I suspect giving one round of flight at a time is rather too limiting.  ^_^ 

The windlings in Eathdawn can fly for 15 minutes at a time, longer by making toughness checks.  Their just a foot ad a half tall, so they don't suffer the major limitation Ubtao would--they can fly indoors!