You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 08, 2016, 03:54:49 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: FF-inspired Group  (Read 926 times)

Offline Karasu

Re: FF-inspired Group
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 08:58:15 AM »
I've played 9 and the tactics advanced games and 9 I only got as far as disk 2 sadly..

Honestly, I love the story that gets presented by most of the FF games. 9 had a pretty interesting story from what I remember.. I love the job system of Tactics avanced.

Offline azzmeister89

• Erotica's number one Disciple
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • show me what you got and i'll prove its not enough
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »
Cant say over all if i had a favorite aspect but i suppose i did enjoy the summonings and in X2 the ability to change the characters battle type although maybe not so much with the dress sphears.

Offline Tenshinhan

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 02:27:33 PM »
I wouldn't mind joining either, though I have played pretty much all of them except 13, my favorite is um IV, personally. I was wondering if you wanted to have the whole crossover FF game as a sort of base sense a crossover already exist and all, granted it isn't a rpg.

Offline starryphantasyTopic starter

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »
@ Karasu :
Ahhh. That's where things start getting real good~.
Same here. ^u^
Even the titles I don't enjoy the most tend to have fun story if not storytelling.

@ azzmeister89 :
Alright, that's still something and fits pretty well with what we're going with so far, I believe!

@ Tenshinhan :
Cool! It won't be anything canon, so it'd only be a crossover in the sense of certain ideas and maybe themes or something~.

Okay, so tonight, I'm going to go over some pages and collect  some job and ability data and get a list for us, as well as figure out how many interested parties there are total and a good way to set up the story and all.

Anyone have a preference as to their character's role/alignment? I don't need anyone to play villains, but if that's what you'd like or are interested in, I will keep that in mind. Otherwise, I'm going to assume everyone wants to play a good guy/hero and have everything built around that.

If you all already have character ideas you want me to work in (say, something particular about their background; like where they come from), go ahead an post it too so I can incorporate it as well. ^u^

Right now, I'm leaning toward a mostly typical setting. A kingdom or two, towns, a diversity in regions and climate and some typical dungeon type stuff and all~.

Offline Vanetias

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
Could I play myself as Cid the engineer himself?(Because every ff game always has a Cid for that matter.)

Offline Karasu

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2014, 11:13:04 PM »
I'm still thinking myself.. I typically love the magical side of things.. job wise.. Illusionist.. Elementalist, mage.. etc.. lots of nice things XD

Offline Tonberryshuffle

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2014, 11:25:57 PM »
I've always loved the "mixed" classes.  Holy knights, paladins, dark knights, etc.  I love summoners but those aren't exactly a good thing to include in RP; they don't balance well. 

Offline Rajah

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2014, 01:35:18 AM »
I love summoners but those aren't exactly a good thing to include in RP; they don't balance well.

Doesn't matter in freeform. Writing ability is overpowered; everything else is irrelevant. Summoners, steampunk, elemental magic, bizarre weaponry, weird cultures, all the essential elements of FF.

Offline Tonberryshuffle

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2014, 01:53:20 AM »
Doesn't matter in freeform. Writing ability is overpowered; everything else is irrelevant. Summoners, steampunk, elemental magic, bizarre weaponry, weird cultures, all the essential elements of FF.

Freeform is where the balance issues crop up when it comes to summons.  Speaking entirely from experience on the matter.  It's the reason summons were almost always banned (eventually) from all FF based RPs I was always in except the system games where stats could be changed to enforce balance. 

I will point out that's with summons operating like they do in Advent Children, FFX, etc where they stay for an extended time rather than just pop off for a single attack. 

Offline Rajah

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2014, 03:09:05 AM »
Freeform is where the balance issues crop up when it comes to summons.  Speaking entirely from experience on the matter.  It's the reason summons were almost always banned (eventually) from all FF based RPs I was always in except the system games where stats could be changed to enforce balance. 

I will point out that's with summons operating like they do in Advent Children, FFX, etc where they stay for an extended time rather than just pop off for a single attack.

That's kind of always every time going to be a GM/player issue. If your guy does awesome swordmagic and can fly, is he really qualitatively different from, say, Valefor? What differentiates summoning Bahamut from a powerful black mage in freeform, exactly? What's the difference between saying X doesn't kill you because you dodge it, or because you put up a magic shield, or because you're Leviathan and you have scales like tank armor? IMHO the answers here are no, nothing, and nothing. If a GM feels a character is monopolizing the narrative, that's their cue to step in, but that's exactly as true of the ninja who says her thousand-battleaxe-throw technique cuts through the entire golem platoon as it is of the summoner who says Diabolos drops everyone into a black hole.

I don't think it makes sense to restrict anything in the FF universe based on balance concerns. Summoners are just another kind of mage. Their spells stick around, but other mages keep casting new ones, and it comes to more or less the same effect. Give a writer of average skill Yuna and a writer of superlative skill Wakka and the latter will run circles around the former ten times out of ten - so long as there's a way to accomplish a goal within the realm of imagination, and the setting is a cinematic one like FF generally is, I don't think the actual methodology needs too much in the way of oversight or restriction. One guy picks a lock, one guy shoots the lock, one guy rams through the door, one guy phases through the wall, one guy contracts an enemy agent to doublecross her faction and open the door when he knocks - different methods, different imagery, same result.

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 01:26:18 AM »
Mmkay~! I did a lot of data gathering and research; both on the titles I've played and the ones I haven't! I'm going to fully compile the list and group things together by type (physical, magical, status, etc) and then a list in terms of "power" and how far in it may lie in the RP.

I'm going to keep summoners, honestly. For those most interested in the job, we can discuss which way we want to take it. Yes, they do summon a creature is extra powerful, but also at the cost of tons of MP so it's not like whoever is playing one can just spam summons. But we'll get a system figured out - for everything. I don't want things to get complicated though (they're not in my head, but we'll see what everyone prefers for some things).

Also working on the character skeleton/profile right now. At the moment, it looks basic. These things are included : :

Name | Age | Appearance | Personality | Background/History | Hobbies | Dis/Likes

If we want to do a separate part for stats, I can arrange that too. We'll also have a small part to keep track of everyone's level and their jobs. But I'll keep track of that in a particular post once the RP is going~.

I'm going to respond to some RPs and PMs, finish with the jobs and then get them on here for everyone to throw in their change. More than two cent is welcome. A ha ha~. Sorry for my poor sense of humor. vuv

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 04:56:33 AM »
Also, I forgot to add earlier, but if you want to Vanetias, I suppose you could create your own version of Cid for this. Depending on how much of a role as an engineer you'd want him to have, we may have to discuss that.

Since we're on the page though, are there any other recurring characters that someone might want to use? If no one else wants it, I may take the "Princess Sara."

For the job stuff --

We'll go ahead and start off with Freelancer for everyone (unless you're an antag turned protag, but we'll get to that).  The early, basic jobs will be the usual. :

• Warrior
  • Monk
  • Thief
  • White Mage
  • Black Mage
  • Chemist
A part of me wants to add a ranger of sorts to that, just to round out the weapons better, but there's no reason that an archer can't fall under Warrior. I might also include Onion Knight in there, or just save it for the very end of the RP~. Depends on how we all feel. The rest of the groupings aren't final and can be decided depending on how we feel they should go stat/power-wise, but I'm keeping them together based on how I feel they are in terms of power, ability and worth and also "story" sake, so to speak.

• Blue Mage
  • Red Mage
  • Ranger
  • Knight
  • Geomancer
  • Ninja

• Samurai
  • Dragoon
  • Time Mage
  • Beast Master
  • Summoner
  • Dark Knight
  • Paladin
  • Bard

• Vampire
  • Divine Knight
  • Scholar / Orator
  • Berserker
  • Sage
  • Arcanist / Evoker
  • Dancer
  • Swordsman

I'm thinking of including a special group too, kind of a combination of "for fun" and to fill out the more quirky jobs that get included. They may be story-related stuff if they get thrown in.

Right now, that's how I see the jobs being available upon "wave," or where we're at in the story. Any input and commentary is welcome, whether it's general preference or what you think will work better. Questions are also welcome, of course. If I forgot a job, feel free to throw it out there!

Now, grouping them together in terms of field :

Physical: Warrior | Monk | Thief {} Knight | Ranger | Ninja {} Samurai | Dragoon | Dark Knight | Paladin {} Divine Knight | Berserker | Swordsman
Magical: White Mage | Black Mage {} Blue Mage | Red Mage {} Time Mage | Summoner {} Sage | Arcanist/Evoker
Special(ty): Chemist {} Geomancer {} Beast Master | Bard {} Dancer | Vampire | Scholar/Orator

Some time tomorrow, I'll get around to include a small description of the job and whatever info is necessary. Just so we're all on the same page about each job~.

Offline Vanetias

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 05:35:03 AM »
That's good to hear. For the 'tech' level of this game's universe, how high would it be for that matter? Would we see firearms alongside of simple airships(Of the primitive types mostly) or would things like robots and mecha would be included into this world?(Especially air-con and indoor plumbing/sewage systems.)

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 05:45:05 AM »
Since we're going the mostly medieval route, we'll stick close to something of a combined FFIX and Tactics. Guns and such like in Tactics, but the airships and other tech will mostly be styled like IX.

I'm kind of interested in throwing in magitech armor or something, but I'm trying to weigh out ideas and stuff before going too far down that path.

Offline Karasu

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 05:54:55 AM »
Likely I'll make one of this path

Magical: White Mage | Black Mage {} Blue Mage | Red Mage {} Time Mage | Summoner {} Sage | Arcanist/Evoker

Or possibly a Scholar/Orator.. still thinking, but def a mage focus

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2014, 06:09:51 AM »
Alrighty~!

Personally, I know I'm going to be jumping around myself. I have my fav classes, type of class and then am just a completion-ist freak, so I'll try to get my character through as much as possible. >u<;

Offline Vanetias

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2014, 07:58:22 PM »
Since we're going the mostly medieval route, we'll stick close to something of a combined FFIX and Tactics. Guns and such like in Tactics, but the airships and other tech will mostly be styled like IX.

I'm kind of interested in throwing in magitech armor or something, but I'm trying to weigh out ideas and stuff before going too far down that path.

I see. To take this a little further, could/would you include the giant babil mecha from ff4, and/or Omega from ff5 for that matter?

Offline azzmeister89

• Erotica's number one Disciple
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • show me what you got and i'll prove its not enough
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2014, 03:42:07 AM »
Would it be possible for a blacksmith like character? I like the idea of a character who although he can fight, can also build and fix weapons and armor using materiels gathered by the others.

If that idea cant be done could i use something similar the the key chains in kingdom hearts? Where adding a certain item to the weapon gives it new properties?

I'm more partial to the blacksmith idea but whatever works best for you is good. If neither is possible a normal swordsman will do me fine.

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2014, 01:34:28 PM »
I'm going to go with a definite no on the Giant of Babil and anything too similar, but leaning toward it on the Omega.
I'll think of some examples that could be added, but feel free to throw out more.

A blacksmith would definitely work! It's a great idea, actually.
I was considering, there's no reason we can't add elements similar to XI and XIV actually and let characters do some crafting stuff. A blacksmith would be very handy to have around. ^u^

Offline Changingsaint

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2014, 01:45:38 PM »
If we go with that job selection I can already see where my supposed paladin-esque would be progressing and how, so I have no issues with them. More crafting elements and such can also be fun! So I have no issues with that.

Offline Vanetias

« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2014, 09:05:02 PM »
I'm going to go with a definite no on the Giant of Babil and anything too similar, but leaning toward it on the Omega.
I'll think of some examples that could be added, but feel free to throw out more.

A blacksmith would definitely work! It's a great idea, actually.
I was considering, there's no reason we can't add elements similar to XI and XIV actually and let characters do some crafting stuff. A blacksmith would be very handy to have around. ^u^

I remember from FFV of an airship that could transform into a boat, and from there into a submarine and back again. Would that be allowed within the game?

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2014, 12:28:43 AM »
Fantastic! Glad to hear it for the job part, and since that makes at least four of us interested in crafting, I'll get some stuff gathered for that too!

And yes, that is definitely workable.
I think the Four Heroes of Light game also had something fitting. They flew around on a dragon, but I hear it was actually machine? That's also something a little more in the realm we'll stick with, maybe just at the border.

Offline Tonberryshuffle

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2014, 08:09:48 PM »
I'm not sure I entirely understand how exactly the class system works for this game. 

Offline Zeth

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2014, 01:32:50 PM »
I have only played 9 out of your listed FF games. But I would love to do an RP based on it.

Offline Vanetias

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2014, 10:04:56 PM »
Any news?