You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 08, 2016, 12:16:35 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: FF-inspired Group  (Read 925 times)

Offline starryphantasyTopic starter

FF-inspired Group
« on: August 25, 2014, 03:33:45 AM »
Hi, all!

As the title says, I'm looking to start something inspired by Final Fantasy. To be a bit more specific, I'd love to try something most similar to FF I-III + V. A little bit between FFV and Bravely Default is probably a good place to put it. But~. I wouldn't mind trying something influenced by almost any (or how many ever) of the games, and in particular, am also open to something that borrows from the Wii game of Chocobo's Dungeon.

If people are most interested in something most inspired by the classic FF titles, then great! Either way, feel free to throw in your interest, favorite game (and maybe why or what parts) and we can find something that works for everyone.

Favorite Games :   Final Fantasy V/Tactics | Final Fantasy IX | Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon | Bravely Default

What Parts / Why :
- I like the classic set-up and the job/ability going on in V and Tactics the most. However, I appreciate how straight-forward but still touching and fun that V is. It's a classic tale, with some charming touches.

- IX is my favorite of the series tops because of story and characters. It feels most fleshed out setting-wise in a way, and really embraces the character and story elements. I like how it was many things a classic FF and fantasy should be, but with its own touches.

- I enjoy FFF: Chocobo for pretty much everything. It has a cute, small but developed setting with a good enough story and cast. The gameplay elements are also great! The use of the job system is cleverly tied into the story, and it has a nice atmosphere.

- BD is everything there is to love about classic FF, but with some lovely paintjob. I like the interpretation of the job and ability system, how it's integrated into the story and some of the themes and concepts.

I hope some people will be interested and we can get something going~!

Offline Rajah

Re: FF-inspired Group
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 11:23:12 PM »
Are you looking to run this game, or just drum up interest?

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 02:12:23 AM »
Drum up interest, I guess?

I just want to see who may be interested in something based on Final Fantasy and what they're open to. I certainly am intending to play the role of DM, so to speak, but I do also want to play a central character~.

Offline Vanetias

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 07:07:29 AM »
Call me in.

Online Changingsaint

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 01:27:17 PM »
I'm kinda interested! About to head out, but when i'm back i'll edit my post with the game requirement thing.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 05:43:01 PM »
Fantastic! ^u^

If we have at least three to four people (counting myself), we can start some planning and discussing things. ♥

Offline Karasu

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 06:50:36 PM »
I'd be interested in playing.

Offline Tonberryshuffle

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 09:18:04 PM »
This would be cool.  And IX was my favorite game out of all the games.  Tactics and VII are close. 

Offline Jezabelle

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 09:21:12 PM »
I'll throw my hat in the ring of interested; haven't gotten past the boss on the Library stage in FF V admittedly, but hopefully that won't prove to be an issue  ;)

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 05:44:44 PM »
Wahoo ~ !

Glad to see a growing number of interested parties! ^u^

And no worries about where you're at in a specific title or anything. Even basic knowledge of the series and some recurring elements can get you through what I feel we'll try here~.

So for everyone interested, what do you all prefer?

Going Classic Style, where we have a group of heroes that have to save the world, lots of crystal focus and very strong, nostalgic, JRPG elements?

Doing something a bit more New Style and trying something similar to VII or VIII, where there are some things that are recurring like crystals, summons and such but also new elements brought in an not the usual (medieval) fantasy?

Should we go with a Job (and Ability) system that we can all use, or should I make a list of available Jobs/Classes and have each character have one, respective Job/role?

Offline Tonberryshuffle

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 07:01:01 PM »
I'm fine with either new or old.  The class system would also reduce redundancy issues like you might have with 12's system or the materia system. 

Offline Vanetias

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 10:09:08 PM »
Why not both?

Offline Karasu

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 10:40:15 PM »
I am highly used to job systems.. since I've played FFT, FFTA, and FFTA-2 primarily.. (I love FFTA-2)

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 01:30:10 AM »
@ Tonberryshuffle :
Alrighty~. And I agree. I think the class system would be the most convenient. (And "streamlined.")

@ Vanetias :
Because they would contradict each other. Less so in terms of story, but more so with everything else. I probably didn't emphasize enough, but the Classic is most similar to FF I-III + V and Tactics whereas the New would be VII-X. It would change a lot in how the story was approached, but most importantly in how many characters we have in certain roles, the setting and other elements.

@ Karasu :
Fantastic! The job system is most fun and familiar for me too, overall.
I still haven't played either TA, but I plan to eventually.

For anyone else coming in and interested, I still want to hear preferences but as of now, I believe we're going with a Class system and something more similar to Classic. No reason we can't implement a little of the New, but we'll stick to Classic for our reference.

I'll compile a list of jobs we'll use but aside from the basic, recurring ones (Knight, Monk, White+Black Mage), does any have preferences or a class they absolutely want to show up/use?

Online Changingsaint

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 03:20:34 AM »
My favorite FF's, as cliche as it sounds are 6 and tactics. 6 was the game that really 'got' me into JRPG's, and while my tastes have moved away from the FF series in a general sense I still enjoy that game very much between the music, art style (I have always enjoyed mode 7 when it's been done very well!), and the story was pretty neat because the bad guy 'won', even if the second half of the game was putting a stop to him.

Tactics is great again for the music and political/religious story that also kinda splits between Ramza and Delita. Ramza is also a pretty awesome protagonist and i've always had a soft spot for him.The game isn't balanced all that well but there is a charm to it... Plus I do adore some of the quotes from it that were errors! (Blame yourself, or god for'ex).

Going with a more classic system sounds like it'd be fine for me, though I do think i'd enjoy some of the more magitech-esque stuff than totally fantasy. but I can roll with a number of things. Classes, i'm not so sure on but dark knights, dragoons, and monks are always fun - i'd probably play one of the two former, or perhaps a paladin type.

Offline Jezabelle

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 11:08:52 AM »
I'd favour fixed classes, and I can tell OP is super crushing on the old style FFs with just enough punk to have airships, so I'd totes be down with that style.

As for the job style... it would just seem to detract from characterization in an RP, but on the other hand it'd make us work harder at it (less resting on tropes and clichés about monks\rogues etc).  So myeh.

Offline Karasu

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 05:20:59 PM »
I actually just got FF tactics, War of the loins for PSP.. so here's hoping 'll liek that one too

Offline Tonberryshuffle

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 11:43:36 PM »
I'd like to point out that I don't think IX is "new" style.  It's more classic.  Also, War of the Lions I personally thought was better than the original Tactics. 

Offline Jezabelle

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 12:07:18 AM »
I'd like to point out that I don't think IX is "new" style.  It's more classic.  Also, War of the Lions I personally thought was better than the original Tactics.

I believe it was made deliberately retro in response to the growing unhappiness with the emphasis on "crystal-punk" and diesel punk overtones permeating VII & VIII (full disclosure, I've played neither).

FFX was actually made concurrently to that, and even there technology was disparaged as taboo by and large with limited appearance and applications.  They just wanted another medieval one cause they realized they'd sort of crossed the Rubicon.

Offline Tonberryshuffle

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 12:29:30 AM »
I believe it was made deliberately retro in response to the growing unhappiness with the emphasis on "crystal-punk" and diesel punk overtones permeating VII & VIII (full disclosure, I've played neither).

FFX was actually made concurrently to that, and even there technology was disparaged as taboo by and large with limited appearance and applications.  They just wanted another medieval one cause they realized they'd sort of crossed the Rubicon.

Oh, I know.  I'd still place IX in the "classic" territory rather than new, though.  Regardless of when it was made. 

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 01:47:54 AM »
I only just started playing VI (and V) within the last year or so and am still only in the begging. We're giving it a break for a while, and going to play through every game I- current at the time, but I really love a lot about it already. It's definitely a timeless classic. >u<
Tactics came in to my FF history pretty late too (in comparison to other titles) but it has really become one of my fav FF and games in general.

Including some of the magitech and airships will definitely stick~!

Glad you're both digging that! I will also keep those jobs in mind.

As for using the job system for everyone, I think it can still allow some depth and development since people can have preferences, and even the way they play out certain jobs will help development. Even if everyone decided to be a White Mage, there can be status WM, healing WM and damage dealing WM~.

I just placed IX in New less than Classic because it's much more story-heavy and has assigned jobs/roles rather than an actual job system~. But I guess I could have conveyed that better. >u<

So right now we'll go with some of the flavorings and style of classic stuff; a very basic plot, job system and mostly medieval-style setting. Going with typical band of heroes coming together to save the day is okay, or did we want to incorporate a bit more story and background of characters and something more unique than "save the crystalsss~!!"?

- And I hope you enjoy War of the Lions, Karasu!

Offline Vanetias

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 02:30:17 AM »
Was thinking of uniting all of the nations around the world together to band against or to conquer the dimensional invaders.

Offline Karasu

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 06:34:36 AM »
I love my story, but FF has a way wherein you could start anywhere, and still be a hero thta saves the day!

So, get a CS up eventually, and I'll start working on epic.. and I hope I like the game to.. since I spent liek 50 bucks on the PSP and game in total.

Offline azzmeister89

• Erotica's number one Disciple
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • show me what you got and i'll prove its not enough
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 02:28:12 AM »
I feel bad in admiting i have only played ff x and later games however this does sound fun.

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 03:23:19 AM »
Don't feel bad at all!
I have a friend that hasn't played any FFs; he should feel bad~! x')

Great! Do you have any preferences or particular themes/elements you enjoy most from the titles you've played?