You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 18, 2018, 11:19:59 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Iron Gods (Pathfinder; Recruiting until Aug 27)  (Read 8439 times)

Offline FallenDabusTopic starter

Iron Gods (Pathfinder; Recruiting until Aug 27)
« on: August 16, 2014, 02:39:35 AM »
Numeria. A wasteland on the banks of the Sellen River that is best now for these as trying to fleece every last coin off of the Crusaders heading north to fight the Worldwound. A land crushed under the heel of the Technic League, with every town and city forced into crippling taxation.

A land soon to be know for its Iron Gods.

The town of Torch has built itself on its namesake, a purple fire that burns hot enough to all smiths to work the region's rare skymetal. When the flame atop the hill goes out, everyone starts to worry. Without the flame and the skymetal, no one will be able to pay their taxes. When the beloved Town Councillor and wizard, Khonnir Baine, vanishes with his second expedition under the Black Hill to try and reignite the flame, worry threatens to become fullblown panic. The rest of the Council has put out a 4000 gold bounty for any group who can return his body, and Khonnir's 19-year old adopted daugher, Val, has offered a scroll of resurrection to anyone who can return her father alive and has offered her father's tavern as a base of operation for anyone mounting a rescue operation. 

All could be for naught, of course, if Torch's flame does not return. On his first expedition, Baine found a strange construct, part man, part spider, like so many scattered across the wastes. He feared something might been hidden under the town that is only now waking up.

You and your three companions are moving to meet with Val, set up your base, and get on to the wizard's trail before it turns cold.

Iron Gods Player's Guide: Found here. Please make sure you download it and read it, there is important information there, and its free.
Setting: Golorian - Numeria.
Genre: Science Fantasy. Expect laser guns to be shooting and chainswords revving right along side of the classic fireballs and battle axes.
Number of Players: Four. I'm going to try and go for an even spread of genders.
Level: 1st
Character Age: 21+, or racial equivalent
Posting Rate: I don't expect daily posts, since I know few people who can keep that rate up, however if you are gone 72 hours without posting in the game thread with no prior notice, I'll be checking in via PM. If that's going unanswered, or happening multiple times, I'll be opening the game back up to someone who can post more regularly. I don't want to be a hardass, but that's what it takes to keep forum games going I'm afraid.
Character selection: I'm going to see how much interest this thread garners in a week. If a lot of people are interested, I'll set a deadline, between a week and half from two weeks out from today. If not, I'll take people on a modified first come, first serve basis.

The Fluff
Rating: Exotic, Bondage
Alignment: Iron Gods does no presuppose any alignment, so this game will be open to all of them With that said, everyone in the group need to be able to get along. Asshole evil, preachy good, lawful templar, and chaotic jerk characters should be avoided. I’m uncomfortable running a party that is south of neutral, however, so please take that into account. There can be a token evil teammate, but I prefer stories that involve you (usually) being heroes.
Background: Iron Gods starts with a few assumptions. The entire first story takes place in the town of Torch, and starts with a party already formed, so after character selection we will do a bit of a team build to establish connections between characters. The best types of backgrounds will be of characters from Torch itself, travellers who regularly pass through the town and have some connection to it. Others could exist, but are less likely, although I bet a kind-hearted crusader may work well too. 
Personality: As I said above, your character needs to be trusting enough to work with others without trying to screw them over (… screw them on the other hand…). Keep a game cohesive on the boards is hard enough with characters getting sarcastic with one another. Likewise, I respectfully ask people to avoid "lone-wolf" or "reserved" personalities in their characters. Those can and do work for in person games, but on boards, I find that it leads to a lack of participation, intentional or not, when not in combat.
Appearance: As you please, although a picture is required so that I can use it with our maps, although it doesn’t have to be a perfect representation of your character.
Sexuality: Just like in my Wrath of the Righteous game, don’t expect sex to be a given here, you will have to work for it a bit, just like real life. That said, feel free to create NPCs that you already have a connection to in your background! I am open to telling a story with any genders/orientations.

The Crunch
Books: All Paizo. Dreamscarred Press' Path of War. Abandoned Art’s Amazing Races and Class Acts. Kobold Press’s Deep Magic. Legendary Game’s Gothic Campaign Compendium. Just give me a heads up for anything outside of Paizo, since I don’t have every last thing memorized. 
Classes: Any from the above sources. I do have the Advanced Classes Guide, so go wild. This is a great campaign for gunslingers too!
Races: The Core Seven, plus Android, Changeling, Dhampir, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Orc, Ratfolk, or Skinwalker.
Ability scores: 15 point buy
Equipment: Average starting gold
Traits: Two traits at character creation, one of which must be a campaign trait from the Player's Guide. It is okay for more than one PC to have the same trait. No more by any means.
Initiative: I use a version of initiative where everyone roles Init, but then the first person to post each round acts at the highest Init rolled, the second at the next highest and so on. I find this speeds up combat considerably.

Where faith, magic, and technology mix, new heroes will be born. Will you be one of them?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:44:33 AM by FallenDabus »

Online TheGlyphstone

Re: Iron Gods (Pathfinder; Recruiting)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 02:46:27 AM »
This looks incredibly awesome, I'm already thinking of various concepts.

First up...Synthesist Summoner as a magitech cyborg?

Second would be the Dreamscarred Press Aegis. That might actually be my first choice, not sure.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 02:49:36 AM by TheGlyphstone »

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 02:49:52 AM »
Hmm... there's some potential in that I think.

Offline Autocad

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 02:52:40 AM »
Hm, are we talking about steampunk, transformers, or Apple aesthetics in terms of the science here?

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 03:07:38 AM »
We're talking used future kind of technology, that's functional, but has often had thousands of years to decay. It doesn't cleanly fit in anything you've suggested, but it's definitely not Apple and not Steampunk. Transformers... Maybe the movie aesthetics? That's not really what I see in my head. This is Star Trek/Star Wars level tech, with more than a hint of Mad Max. Stuff will be broken sometimes, but it will often be usable for a while. I'll post images of the first two modules below to try and give you a relatively spoiler free idea.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Also, it is important to keep in mind that knowledge of technology is relatively suppressed in Numeria and totally unknown out of it. A big part of this AP's mood is supposed to be the wonder of discovering something that is so like magic, but isn't anything anyone has really encountered before.

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 03:13:28 AM »
Second would be the Dreamscarred Press Aegis. That might actually be my first choice, not sure.
I'm not using Psionics in this one Glyph, sorry. Nothing against it, you know I love what DSP's done, but it's not supported in the AP and I don't have time to add in the content. Path of War is fair game though, since it's easier to drag and drop.

Online Muse

• Bibliopheliac -- PiP's Sidhe Lord -- Karasu's Heartthrob -- Tyloka's Dragon -- Mistress Voluptuouss's Hand Bra -- Making Allanger Welcome at her Destination -- Blessed by Aeval
  • Knight
  • Carnite
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 10
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 04:52:00 AM »
  Still need to look over the adveture path, but could I offer you a cleric? 

Either of Saranrae or Torag? 

Online Muse

• Bibliopheliac -- PiP's Sidhe Lord -- Karasu's Heartthrob -- Tyloka's Dragon -- Mistress Voluptuouss's Hand Bra -- Making Allanger Welcome at her Destination -- Blessed by Aeval
  • Knight
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 06:17:39 AM »
Working on a cleric of Torag for you. 

You said you weren't using psionics in this game.  Is the feat "Open Minded" acceptable?  It's presented in the Expanded Psionics Handbook but is not itself a psionic feat.  (It gives +1 skill point/level.) 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B56Nlj5-hHgKfiBNmAHgHZ2q2q72-3Y6yCfgvX51bKQ/edit

Offline Autocad

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 09:50:17 AM »
Working on an android 'slinger!

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 11:27:17 AM »
I'm not using Psionics in this one Glyph, sorry. Nothing against it, you know I love what DSP's done, but it's not supported in the AP and I don't have time to add in the content. Path of War is fair game though, since it's easier to drag and drop.

*cries*

Good thing that was Option B.

Offline Craz

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 11:34:30 AM »
I'd definitely be interested! Iron Gods looked really cool from the preview.

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 11:46:57 AM »
*cries*

Good thing that was Option B.
Sorry!

Working on a cleric of Torag for you. 

You said you weren't using psionics in this game.  Is the feat "Open Minded" acceptable?  It's presented in the Expanded Psionics Handbook but is not itself a psionic feat.  (It gives +1 skill point/level.) 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B56Nlj5-hHgKfiBNmAHgHZ2q2q72-3Y6yCfgvX51bKQ/edit
While I'd like to, I'm going to say no to make sure it's clear which resources we are and are not using. Sorry man!

That said, I forgot to mention that 1001 Spells by Rite Publishing is also fair game.

Offline Ghostwheel

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 12:09:49 PM »
Plonk on my interest :D

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 01:23:13 PM »
Plonk on my interest :D
Some days I think I could post an empty thread and get you interested :P

I'm hoping to get a bit more background information on Torch posted this evening or tomorrow to help you make your backgrounds. Here's a bit:

Coinage: Numeria uses and accepts the standard denominations of coins used in the surrounding countries, but they also have a unique aspect in the silverdisks. These are silvery disks made of strange skymetal alloys and traced with strange geometric patterns. These silverdisks are valued at the same amount as a platinum piece, although rarely someone finds a silverdisk within the Numerian ruins that glows with the light of the candle. These stranger silverdisks are worth ten platinum to those who deal in technology.

Offline Ghostwheel

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 01:30:44 PM »
Some days I think I could post an empty thread and get you interested :P

Hey, that just means that you're such a great DM that I'll play even an empty thread ;D

By the by, any chance of upping the point buy? I'm interested in a character that has substantial MAD, and 15 PB hurts :-3

EDIT: How are we doing starting gold? Rolled? Max? Average?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:40:26 PM by Ghostwheel »

Online Muse

• Knight
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 01:51:30 PM »
At the risk of agreeing with Ghostwheel, some more inteligenc eand charisma would be REALY nice. ;) 

(Teasing you, bro!)

Offline Ershin

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 03:06:27 PM »
May I express my interest in this? The setting looks really cool.
Might need a little bit to get a definite idea of what to play, but I'm considering trying something from the Advanced Class Guide... Perhaps an Android Arcanist? Or maybe use a slightly older class and go with a cackling Witch-Bot?

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 03:40:18 PM »
Hey, that just means that you're such a great DM that I'll play even an empty thread ;D

By the by, any chance of upping the point buy? I'm interested in a character that has substantial MAD, and 15 PB hurts :-3

EDIT: How are we doing starting gold? Rolled? Max? Average?
Okay, fine, 20 points. Gold is average for the class. Pretty sure I remembered to put that in the first post.

May I express my interest in this? The setting looks really cool.
Might need a little bit to get a definite idea of what to play, but I'm considering trying something from the Advanced Class Guide... Perhaps an Android Arcanist? Or maybe use a slightly older class and go with a cackling Witch-Bot?

Sounds like cool ideas  :-)

Offline Ghostwheel

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 03:43:35 PM »
Yay!

Is there any information on the ruling/noble families of Torch? Or should we just make something up that could fit in the world?

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 03:45:28 PM »
Yay!

Is there any information on the ruling/noble families of Torch? Or should we just make something up that could fit in the world?
Coming later today.

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 08:13:12 PM »
Sir, you have my interest! I just need to thumb through my books to touch up on the setting, and see what congeals - I'm thinking something meaty and "Krunk"-like... Just because i don't play enough big head-butting motherfucker characters...

Online Muse

• Knight
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 10:11:11 PM »
I think cherry red is ready, by the way.  Just let me add the extra build points.  :)

Offline ThisOneGal

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 10:44:04 PM »
If you're still recruiting, I'm interested. I just discovered this Adventure Path, but there's basically no chance of my IRL group playing it.

I would like to play a female human archaeologist/engineer, altough I need to figure out how to turn that last part into a combat class.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:03:34 PM by ThisOneGal »

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 10:54:25 PM »
Definitely going male. Probably going barbarian. Still undecided between race (provided barbarian is clear, that is. great thing is, big blocky melee-types build themselves at 1st level, I just need to... like... do it.

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2014, 11:57:08 PM »
If you're still recruiting, I'm interested. I just discovered this Adventure Path, but there's basically no chance of my IRL group playing it.

I would like to play a female human archaeologist/engineer, altough I need to figure out how to turn that last part into a combat class.

Rogue, problem solved. I think there's even a specific Archaeologist archetype package for the Rogue. Tomb-delving means being good at avoiding all the nasty traps left behind to deter people like you.

EDIT: Nope, it's a Bard. Swaps bardic music for luck bonuses, and gets some rogue-like abilities as it levels up.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/archaeologist

Offline ThisOneGal

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2014, 11:59:41 PM »

Rogue, problem solved. I think there's even a specific Archaeologist archetype package for the Rogue. Tomb-delving means being good at avoiding all the nasty traps left behind to deter people like you.

EDIT: Nope, it's a Bard. Swaps bardic music for luck bonuses, and gets some rogue-like abilities as it levels up.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/archaeologist

Ooh, that does look like fun.

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 12:06:37 AM »
Well, Gunslinger, Alchemist, and Investigator can all work as "engineer" fairly well. But i figure basically any character who devotes points to Crafts / profession / Disable Device could call themselves an engineer. There might also be some third party stuff from the sources allowed (I wouldn't know, myself)

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 12:12:38 AM »
My Summoner is going to have both Craft (Engineering) and Knowledge (Engineering) as well.

But, being an 'engineer' IRL, I know that there are dozens of different kinds of engineers, so it's easy to qualify.

Okay, Crunchy bits done.
http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=13725

Background will be fleshed out in detail, but he's a blacksmith, or was, until the violet flame appeared. Most of the flame's early victims were incinerated; he was 'lucky' enough to only lose his left arm and leg and be crippled. He managed to build himself crude mechanical prostheses for both missing limbs, but they weren't enough to restore his livelihood. Prayers to Brigh and intense study of the outer planes, though, eventually blessed him with a projected companion from Axiom who fuses with him and imbues his primitive replacement limbs with true agility and strength. Visually, his fused eidolon looks like a Kolyarut overlaying him.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:29:03 AM by TheGlyphstone »

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 12:46:23 AM »
Okay, I'm going to do one mass reply, to individual questions/comments, then do an overview of Torch in a separate post.

Recruiting is likely to go on for a week to two weeks. There seems to be quite a bit of interest. I'll firm up an exact date in few days.

Definitely going male. Probably going barbarian. Still undecided between race (provided barbarian is clear, that is. great thing is, big blocky melee-types build themselves at 1st level, I just need to... like... do it.

I'll get to your PM soon, but I think that both of your ideas are equally viable. If you go with ratfolk, I'd suggest making sure the character has lots of personal ties in the town.

Well, Gunslinger, Alchemist, and Investigator can all work as "engineer" fairly well. But i figure basically any character who devotes points to Crafts / profession / Disable Device could call themselves an engineer. There might also be some third party stuff from the sources allowed (I wouldn't know, myself)

The latter is basically my take on it and how the rules are set up. Profession could come into play, but Craft is the primary skill, although it is Craft (mechanical), rather than Craft (engineering). Knowledge (engineering) is the correct skill and plays a similar role to Spellcraft identifying magic items. Heal is also useful if you are looking at cybernetics and/or medical technology.

My Summoner is going to have both Craft (Engineering) and Knowledge (Engineering) as well.

But, being an 'engineer' IRL, I know that there are dozens of different kinds of engineers, so it's easy to qualify.

Okay, Crunchy bits done.
http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=13725

Background will be fleshed out in detail, but he's a blacksmith, or was, until the violet flame appeared. Most of the flame's early victims were incinerated; he was 'lucky' enough to only lose his left arm and leg and be crippled. He managed to build himself crude mechanical prostheses for both missing limbs, but they weren't enough to restore his livelihood. Prayers to Brigh and intense study of the outer planes, though, eventually blessed him with a projected companion from Axiom who fuses with him and imbues his primitive replacement limbs with true agility and strength. Visually, his fused eidolon looks like a Kolyarut overlaying him.

Cool idea Glyph... except that Torch's flame lit in 4602 AR and the current year is 4714 AR, so it wouldn't work that Gannak was at the initial event. That said, the flame does get into the sky periodically which is extremely destructive to the immediate area on top of the hill (the town is safe entirely at the bottom) so perhaps he was caught in one of those later eruptions.

Also, see above for what I said about Craft (mechanical). As full disclosure I am very not an engineer, but I feel its a moot point, since much of what you will encounter is fairly classified as "super-science." But what you said about there being many paths is absolutely true. Any class has the potential to utilize or build these technologies. But first you've got to discover them!

I think cherry red is ready, by the way.  Just let me add the extra build points.  :)

I'm assuming that by armoured jacket, you mean armoured coat, which is the first entry under medium armour here. You definitely need to build up that background though. Use my next post to build some ties to the town.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:54:44 AM by FallenDabus »

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 01:06:13 AM »

The latter is basically my take on it and how the rules are set up. Profession could come into play, but Craft is the primary skill, although it is Craft (mechanical), rather than Craft (engineering). Knowledge (engineering) is the correct skill and plays a similar role to Spellcraft identifying magic items. Heal is also useful if you are looking at cybernetics and/or medical technology.

Will fix that immediately, and I think I'll pick up a rank in Heal as opposed to a rank in Spellcraft - it fits better.

Cool idea Glyph... except that Torch's flame lit in 4602 AR and the current year is 4714 AR, so it wouldn't work that Gannak was at the initial event. That said, the flame does get into the sky periodically which is extremely destructive to the immediate area on top of the hill (the town is safe entirely at the bottom) so perhaps he was caught in one of those later eruptions.

That was actually a question I had, since I couldn't find a timeline anywhere in the Player's Guide. It works just as well for one of the later eruptions - something went wrong and he couldn't get his mobile forge away from the flame in time.

Also, see above for what I said about Craft (mechanical). As full disclosure I am very not an engineer, but I feel its a moot point, since much of what you will encounter is fairly classified as "super-science." But what you said about there being many paths is absolutely true. Any class has the potential to utilize or build these technologies. But first you've got to discover them!

I was honestly more talking about stuff like civil engineers, mechanical engineers, chemical engineers, aerospace engineers, software engineers...all wildly different kinds of 'engineering'.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:07:44 AM by TheGlyphstone »

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2014, 01:32:58 AM »
Okay, this post is fairly lengthy, but should be helpful in building your backgrounds. I’ve included the genders and races of notable NPCs, as well as age where necessary, but I’ve intentionally kept alignment and class secret. If you want more information about an NPC you are building into your background please ask. If you want to create your own NPCs, that’s good too. The numbers under population I consider to be rough estimates and can absolutely change to accommodate other races.

TORCH
N Large town
Corruption +0; Crime –1; Economy +0; Law –1; Lore +0; Society +4

Rough Demographics
Government: Council
Population: 4,320 (3,167 humans, 498 dwarves, 392 half-
orcs, 168 gnomes, 32 half-elves, 28 halflings, 25 elves,
10 androids)

South of the First Blade’s Path, nestled next to the Seven Tears River in the territory of the Black Horse tribe, Torch takes its name from the violet flame that burns atop its central hill. The fires ignited spontaneously in 4602 AR, and for nearly a year they lanced into the sky, forming a purple column of fire that could be seen for miles around. At the time, the Technic League was experiencing a period of upheaval in Starfall, and its agents were unable to investigate the rumors of the column of fire to the south. By 4604, the flames had died down to a man-sized bonfire, leaving the top of the hill blasted and blackened. Several industrious locals soon discovered the flame’s heat possessed two unusual qualities—it was hot enough to smelt skymetal ores and work with difficult materials like adamantine, and the fires themselves radiated a strangely directional heat. A chunk of wood thrown a dozen feet over the fires would instantly burst into flame, yet a piece of paper set a foot from the bonfire’s edge wouldn’t even smolder. This unique combination of traits made the fire a perfect forge. After a few sudden flare-ups resulted in the tragic incineration of several smiths and their partially completed forges, the townsfolk learned how to interpret the flares and flashes that presaged such an eruption. Rather than build permanent structures around the fire, they came to rely upon portable workshops transported up the hill via wagon or carriage, so that when the fire began one of its unpredictable surges, the smiths could retreat to safety to wait for the blast of fire to recede.
In this way, Torch has sustained itself. By the time the Technic League sorted its internal politics out and sent representatives to investigate in 4612, its agents found a burgeoning village growing around the base of the hill. After a cursory examination of the fire, representatives from the Technic League met with the village’s leaders and worked out a deal—as long as Torch sent a monthly tribute of gold north to Starfall, the Technic League would not maintain an official presence in the region. In this way, the League turned what could have been competition (since at the time it still lacked the resources to effectively manage a remote site) into a source of income. Over the decades that followed, Torch grew steadily, yet has never truly prospered, because the Technic League constantly revises the amount of the tribute it requires. Frustrations with and resentments against the Technic League rightly have grown in Torch, yet the League’s been careful to never tax the town to the point of rebellion, keeping them in an uncomfortable but relatively stable place between freedom and oppression.

Most of Torch’s buildings are constructed of stone, with the larger buildings being reinforced with metal. The rooftops are made of ceramic or stone tiles. Wood is rarely used as a building material in Torch, primarily to prevent fires. Torch has no underground sewer system—waste produced by the city is typically hauled up onto Black Hill and incinerated in the violet fires, but with the flames having recently gone out, filth is building up in the streets. Many have taken to disposing of refuse by dumping it in the Seven Tears River or Crowfeather Lake, something that’s already causing small outbreaks of sickness. The town council has just initiated a ban on disposal of waste in the water, and policing this ban and providing alternative solutions (mostly carting waste away to a small gorge east of town) is consuming an increasing amount of time for the city guard and workers alike.

1. Iven’s Livery Stable: Most travelers visiting town leave their mounts and pack animals in the care of Iven Lesky (male half-elf), a retired tracker who chose to settle in Torch after falling in love with a young Kellid woman named Annika (female human) whom he met when her tribe was overwhelmed by hill giants. Together, they buy and sell horses, doing frequent business with trade caravans drawn to the town’s marketplace.

2. General Store: Torch’s general store caters to scavengers, artisans, and metalworkers first and foremost, but also carries plenty of gear sought by adventurers traveling through Numeria. The town’s unique forge attracts plenty of traders to the local marketplace, some of whom bring rare items which storeowners like Inkrit Kollisun (female human) uses to stock their shelves. Most of the routine adventuring gear can be found here, but Inkrit typically leaves the sale of armor and weapons to the guildhouse artisans.

3. Silverdisk Hall: This busy gambling house features many card tables and dice games, all played with the local silverdisk currency in exchange for whatever money travelers bring with them. Proprietor Garmen Ulreth  (male human) runs the place, and is not-so-secretly assisted
by a gang of Kellid thieves known as the Ropefists—a name derived from their practice of wrapping their knuckles with rope before using their fists to punish transgressors.

4. The Marrymaid: Given the frequent influxes of fortune-seeking scavengers and merchant caravans, the Marrymaid bordello opened its doors almost as soon as Torch established a successful economy. Wrennie Dalrorn (female half-elf) oversees the entertainments inside. Some say she’s the illegitimate daughter of an elven prince from Kyonin and a high priestess of Calistria.

5. The Copper Coin: One of the oldest taverns in Torch, the Copper Coin stands right on the western edge of town. This fixture nightspot fills up with patrons almost every evening, and it is especially popular with laborers and artisans looking to relax after a hard day’s work. Siblings Lawton (male human) and Katina Rimos (female human) run the Coin as a quality establishment with good food at reasonable prices. In fact, much like their father, who ran the tavern for 30 years before passing away, they pride themselves on claiming everything costs “just a few coppers.” Lawton runs the kitchen, cooking up signature dishes like spiced lamb and lentil soup with sourdough bread. Katina tends bar, serving up popular drinks like Rusty Ale, Wineberry Mead, Steelforged Stout, and Black Hill Whiskey.

6. Garrison and Armory: A crenelated 30-foot tower rises from this squat barracks housing the town’s active militia and guards. Approximately two dozen off-duty guards can be found here, with three times that number patrolling the marketplace and city streets during the day.

7. Olandir Estate: Serantha Olandir (female human), the charismatic, influential leader of Torch’s town council, lives in this large home. She lost her husband two years ago to a back alley mugging by the Ropefists near Silverdisk Hall. Since then, she’s made it her mission to ensure Torch doesn’t become a den of crime and corruption by taking a more direct hand in shaping its politics.

8. Otterbie Manor: One of the original founding families of Torch owns this expensive manor, built by an enterprising merchant and ex-crusader from Mendev named Orm Otterbie. He passed away several years ago and his granddaughter, Bazlundi Otterbie (female human), inherited his legacy, successfully organizing many of the town’s artisans and smithies into a powerhouse consortium.

9. Weeping Pond: This placid-looking pond is set off from the surrounding area by a crescent-shaped escarpment. No vegetation grows on the banks of this pond, and the waters carry a bitter stink of sulfur and other chemicals, enough to make the eyes water after spending too much time on the shore. A shallow stream runs southeast of the pond and finally empties into Crowfeather Lake.

10. Crowfeather Palace: The contaminated waters running from the Weeping Pond collect in Crowfeather Lake. Here the taint diffuses to the point where the water becomes drinkable, though it retains a brackish aftertaste. Until recently, long exposure to the water could still cause birth defects and strange afflictions, but since the creation of the strange-looking building here, these effects have been all but eradicated. Called Crowfeather Palace because of its proximity to the lake and its almost miniaturized palatial facade, the building is the brainchild of Khonnir Baine. With the aid of the local priesthood of Brigh, Khonnir built this facility to help purify the waters of Crowfeather Lake. Utilizing a combination of divine and arcane magic with scavenged technological elements, a pipe-like extension from the building constantly purifies the waters around itself as if via a continually running purify food and drink spell, giving the townsfolk a safe source of drinking water.

11. Market Square: The southern shore of Crowfeather Lake is the location of Torch’s largest marketplace. This location draws nearly as much attention and tourism as does the flame, for it’s here that the town’s skilled artisans put their wares on display.

12. Foundry Tavern: One of the more popular hangouts in Torch, the Foundry Tavern is aptly named. Its owner, Khonnir Baine, (middle-aged human male) makes frequent appearances to demonstrate new inventions here—whether mechanical or magical. The tavern itself is always packed, and Khonnir rents out space in his neighboring foundry for visiting smiths and metalworkers to use. With his disappearance, Khonnir’s adopted daughter Val (female human), who runs the tavern and forge with him, has closed the Foundry as a sign of solidarity, hoping that it will inspire someone to bring her father back to her.

13. Tempting Tonics: This building is home to Jhestine Imierin (female half-elf), the town’s apothecary and healer. Jhestine’s father was a Snowcaster elf and her mother a Kellid chieftain’s
daughter. She moved south during a particularly harshwinter and opened her apothecary shop to help the people of Torch deal with the tainted water from the Weeping Pond. Jhestine sells a variety of herbs and special substances, and now that Crowfeather Palace has made the waters of the lake drinkable, she’s been able to turn her attention away from her original purpose to crafting all manner of other potions and elixirs for sale.

14. Seven Tears Farms: Fertile fields and orchards line the stream near the southern side of town here. Before Crowfeather Palace, these farms had to rely upon the generosity of local churches for water purification, but now the fields are flourishing. The produce grown here feeds most of Torch, thanks to the owner of the farms, a matronly woman named Celda Veed (female human).

15. Town Hall: One of the grander buildings in Torch, the town hall doubles as a second garrison and lookout tower watching over the eastern roads. Council meetings take place in the hall every week on Oathday, but the hall sees frequent use for social gatherings as well, including many dances held in the neighboring square.

16. Chapel of the Wanderer: A somber man named Mylan Radli (male human worshiper of Pharasma) retired here after the town’s previous gravekeeper passed away. Along with the blessings he administers to those passing through Torch, he also conducts funerals and looks after the town’s cemetery.

17. Temple of Brigh: Bronze wind chimes and clockwork statues decorate the domed portico of this compound dedicated to the goddess of invention. The oldest faith in Torch, Brigh’s temple sees regular worship from many of the town’s citizens, and also includes a meticulously organized workshop managed by the town’s religious leader, Joram Kyte (old male human worshiper of Brigh). His friendly demeanor, active interest in the metal trade, and innovative crafting skills helped land him a seat on the town council many years ago. Joram’s temple includes a small shopfront selling magic items and gear.

18. Evercandle Inn: The name of this establishment refers to the strange alchemical candles used to light its rooms. These showpieces, which never diminish, are arrayed among multiple chandeliers in the common room as well as smaller, portable candlesticks by each bed in the individual chambers. Soceal Murgrave (old female human) serves as the inn’s proprietor, aided by her ever-present attendant Erlmon Reverstoudt (middle-aged male human).

19. Boarding House: The nine buildings surrounding this small park provide temporary housing for larger parties not wishing to stay at the more expensive inns in town. They see frequent use during the warmer seasons when their owner, Agren Maust (male human), rents out rooms to scavengers, adventurers, and merchants seeking to do business in Torch for weeks at a time.

20. Warehouse District: The majority of the buildings in the northeast portion of town act as storehouses for trade goods designed by the town’s artisans.

21. Torch Guildhouse: This large building is home to the guild of metallurgists and artisans established by Bazlundi Otterbie. The guild was founded to support craftspeople in the skymetal trade, and the experts under its banner include several skilled armorers, blacksmiths, and weaponsmiths.

22. Dolga’s Foundry: The sounds of ringing hammers and dwarven songs frequently rise from this busy foundry, which is owned and operated by Dolga Feddert (old female dwarf) and her team of veteran crafters. An odd transplant from the Five Kings Mountains, Dolga helped found Torch and became the first to test the unique properties of the flame erupting from the hilltop. She also constructed many of the first buildings in town, and is Torch’s oldest councilor.

23. Junkyard: Unprofitable components and debris smelted for skymetal invariably find their way to Torch’s junkyard on the east side of town. An eerie bleachling gnome named Garritt Burrwaddle (middle-aged male gnome) received the honorary title of Junkmaster after several decades of obsessively collecting and cataloging the items left here. Aside from hauling away junk no one wants, he provides an invaluable service to those searching for spare parts among the debris in his care.

24. Black Hill: Easily the most recognizable landmark in Torch, this bald escarpment rises at a steep slope in the middle of town. Until recently, the town’s namesake torch burned at the hill’s peak, emerging from a 5-foot-wide hole in the ground. Today, the flame is out, the hole caved in and filled with bubbling, foul-smelling sludge. The four specially-designed adamantine carts used to ferry ore to and from the fire now stand a short distance down the hill near the Black Hill Craneworks—a building run by Smeltrunner Oskah Unteret (female half-orc). She coordinates access to the flame and ensures merchants pay the appropriate tribute to the town’s treasury. She bears no love for the Technic League, but holds the Black Sovereign in high regard, and loudly shares tales of his uniting of Numeria’s tribes in every tavern she visits.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:37:06 AM by FallenDabus »

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 02:11:46 AM »
Will fix that immediately, and I think I'll pick up a rank in Heal as opposed to a rank in Spellcraft - it fits better.
Just remember if you do that this isn't an either-or scenario. The story is very much about the collision and fusion of technology and magic. Spellcraft can be useful too, althought I think I agree that heal is a better fit for your character.

Offline Autocad

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2014, 03:07:01 AM »
Kirit Tugu
LG Android Wizard 1
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=16764

An android wizard who seeks to understand how magic and technology can exist simultaneously in the same world.

He casts spells by loading magical cartridges into his gun and firing (for flavour purposes. Mechanically, he casts spells using a pistol as an arcane bonded object, with loading cartridges representing any somatic and material components. It's much more elegant, efficient, and effective than being a spellslinger...).

(More background to follow after studying the new wall of text.)

Offline Ghostwheel

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2014, 03:39:24 AM »
As we lack a dedicated tanky character so far from what I'm seeing, I'll be going Pallie ;D

Hopefully get to level 2 fast so I can start spreading around the healing.

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2014, 03:59:20 AM »
As we lack a dedicated tanky character so far from what I'm seeing, I'll be going Pallie ;D

Hey! I'm giving all these d12's a home, don't "we lack a tanky character" me!  ;D
It's just a question of race, now... Decisions decisions.

Offline Ghostwheel

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2014, 05:04:10 AM »
Hey! I'm giving all these d12's a home, don't "we lack a tanky character" me!  ;D
It's just a question of race, now... Decisions decisions.

You hit things hard, I'll heal you up from damage taken while absorbing the first salvo of destruction pointed our way? ;)

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2014, 03:20:54 PM »
Just remember if you do that this isn't an either-or scenario. The story is very much about the collision and fusion of technology and magic. Spellcraft can be useful too, althought I think I agree that heal is a better fit for your character.
Suits me well, since my character is literally a fusion of technology (well, mechanics) and magic.

While I work on refining a background, any ideas from anyone on what to spend my last 20GP on? I've already bought Artisan's tools, a portable bellows, and a blacksmith's anvil for my Crafting...I've got melee and ranged attacks, ammunition, and I can't wear armor or carry a shield.

Also, can you tell us more about Val? I'm going to take the Local Ties trait - after Gannak's accident, Khonnir was one of the sources of arcane lore used to summon his eidolon for the first time, getting an interesting and unique subject to study in return. Knowing more about her would help decide how she'd react to her adoptive father taking on a crippled former smith as combination charity case and research subject.

And who staffs the Temple of Brigh, if anyone is defined in-path already? Being as how he's been gifted with a celestial companion of sorts from the Clockwork Goddess after praying to her, I'd figure that would feature prominently in his local connections as well.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 03:35:34 PM by TheGlyphstone »

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2014, 03:52:19 PM »
So, I spent all night and part of the morning trying to pull together a background for an orc or ratfolk barbarian... and couldn't do it, it all came out feeling very forced. So... i'm going an easier route, picking up one of the seven base races, slapping barbarian on her (oh yeah, that's changed too...) and working from there. I should have a background ready here in a bit, and a sheet before bedtime  :-)

Anyone else taking some connection to Dolga Feddert or her foundry?

Offline Ghostwheel

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2014, 03:55:38 PM »
Not I. I'm planning on being the son (fostered, step, or actual) of Mistress Serantha Olandir.

DM, could I get a little more information about her? Is there a possibility that I might have some siblings for rivalry and potential plot hooks? Anything else I should know about them? Or can I make it up as I go along?

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »
Kirit Tugu
LG Android Wizard 1
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=16764

An android wizard who seeks to understand how magic and technology can exist simultaneously in the same world.

He casts spells by loading magical cartridges into his gun and firing (for flavour purposes. Mechanically, he casts spells using a pistol as an arcane bonded object, with loading cartridges representing any somatic and material components. It's much more elegant, efficient, and effective than being a spellslinger...).

(More background to follow after studying the new wall of text.)

But its such a finally crafted wall of text, isn't it! Sounds like a cool idea. Just keep in mind that more technologically advanced firearms don't always use individual bullets and cartridges, although I'm sure you'll be able to find a way to flavour it appropriately if you wish.

One quick note: I'm going to limit the Androffan language to those who gain it via the campaign traits for the first level. If you want to learn it, you will be able to purchase it at second level.

As always, that would be the plan.

Also, can you tell us more about Val? I'm going to take the Local Ties trait - after Gannak's accident, Khonnir was one of the sources of arcane lore used to summon his eidolon for the first time, getting an interesting and unique subject to study in return. Knowing more about her would help decide how she'd react to her adoptive father taking on a crippled former smith as combination charity case and research subject.
Absolutely! I'll do you one better even and give you an image.

Val was a young girl when she and Khonnir first arrived in Torch seven years ago, barely even a teenager. She and Khonnir kept to themselves initially, but both of them were kind-hearted and couldn't help but lend a hand when they were needed. While this hasn't translated to the same level of local visibility for Val as it has Khonnir, everyone knows she is a gentle soul, if a passionate one. Her birth parents she never mentions, save that they were Kellids and she was already orphaned when Khonnir took her under his wing. She has been apprenticing under Khonnir to learn wizardry, although she has not master enough to wield her own magic yet. While she loves her adopted father deeply and is not yet ready to move out on her own, at 19, she is already growing into a young woman and looking toward her future.

Now, there is a bit more to Val that I'm not sharing, since its not time yet. I will however, that given DM's knowledge, I'd say that Val would not turn away from Gannak in his time of need. If Khonnir has adopted another person, I'd say its about even odds that Val may embrace them or be jealous of them, but with Gannak, his injury and trying to pull his life back together, I'm positive she would be right along side Khonnir helping to take care of him.

And who staffs the Temple of Brigh, if anyone is defined in-path already? Being as how he's been gifted with a celestial companion of sorts from the Clockwork Goddess after praying to her, I'd figure that would feature prominently in his local connections as well.

This would be who you are looking for:

Quote from: Wall of Text
17. Temple of Brigh: Bronze wind chimes and clockwork statues decorate the domed portico of this compound dedicated to the goddess of invention. The oldest faith in Torch, Brigh’s temple sees regular worship from many of the town’s citizens, and also includes a meticulously organized workshop managed by the town’s religious leader, Joram Kyte (old male human worshiper of Brigh). His friendly demeanor, active interest in the metal trade, and innovative crafting skills helped land him a seat on the town council many years ago. Joram’s temple includes a small shopfront selling magic items and gear.

I'm afraid I don't have any more info than that, so feel free to flesh it out yourself.

So, I spent all night and part of the morning trying to pull together a background for an orc or ratfolk barbarian... and couldn't do it, it all came out feeling very forced. So... i'm going an easier route, picking up one of the seven base races, slapping barbarian on her (oh yeah, that's changed too...) and working from there. I should have a background ready here in a bit, and a sheet before bedtime  :-)

Anyone else taking some connection to Dolga Feddert or her foundry?

Some more info for you on her, and an image:

Dolga Freddert, the town’s oldest councilor, was present at Torch’s founding over a century ago, and though her body has grown old in those 100 years, she remains alert and energetic. She is still capable of hefting her favorite weapon, an adamantine warhammer, with ease, though she rarely has need of this symbol in her capacity as councilor. She sometimes gets frustrated with what she thinks of as“desk riding” at Town Hall as she’d rather be out solving the problems herself, but she recognizes the value of delegation and centralized leadership. That leaves her doubly frustrated right now though, as she sees no obvious solution, as to how reignite the town's lifeblood, or how to rescue Khonnir, who is both her friend and college.

Not I. I'm planning on being the son (fostered, step, or actual) of Mistress Serantha Olandir.

DM, could I get a little more information about her? Is there a possibility that I might have some siblings for rivalry and potential plot hooks? Anything else I should know about them? Or can I make it up as I go along?

Blank slate. Use what you've got and make it up as you go from there.

Offline Ershin

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2014, 05:55:26 PM »
The following is a work in progress for both fluff and crunch.
Also I'd rather not step on anyone's toes, would you prefer if I chose a class other than Arcanist since Autocad has already posted a wizard?

Kythera gained her name roughly three years ago when she was unearthed in the Kytheran ruins to the far south, the android's shell reduced mostly to her torso and head, suspended from the chamber's ceiling connected to various machines seemingly designed to keep the blonde machine stabalised, though the excavation team who discovered her had polarised theories about whether this was an actual attempt to keep her alive or a way to stop a new soul from entering the body as this had been noted as happening through androids' life cycles. The body was kept secret for now, Raymond's team was sworn to not reveal anything they had found there for fear that someone might snatch away their discovery. Raymond, however, brought news of Kyther to the Temple of Brigh in the town of Torch, as the lead arcaeologist Raymond Singer had developed a friendship with Joram Kyte and made an arrangement to attempt to bring this ancient wonder back into the land of the living.

For over two and half years Joram and his acolytes attempted to tinker with Kythera's body while also slowly disassembling the life support system that had been dug out with her. As a result of the Joram's work, the life support machine she had been attached to was slowly converted into raw materials used to create new limbs for the ancient construct as little by little healing magic was funnelled into her to repair age-old damage to her internal organs. Eventually a sufficient amount of her body had recovered to the point where she could be excavated from her tomb.

The limbs were (due to the nature of the machine they were taken from) some of the finest prosthetics ever crafted by mortal hands, though under testing they didn't seem to be able to hold a candle to true android fibres or human muscle... however, Joram noted one day while doing a routine check up for any sign of infection in or around the stumps of Kythera's shoulders that something seemed to have changed, that her natural self may have... extanded? On closer inspection, it looked as though the healing magic she had been continuously exposed to had finally re-activated the nanites that all androids hold within their artificial shells, and these wondrous, infintesimally small machines were ever so slowly converting the prosthetics into the techo-organic material naturally found on an android.

Great lengths were taken in this time to avoid having the Technic League hearing of Kythera's discovery. While one could easily say that Joram's acolytes or Raymond's team were loyal, one could never be too sure if a member of the League could have infiltrated either group, leaving the pair to limit number of people who were even aware the android existed to a minimum.

Four months ago, the life support system was finally switched off, allowing a new soul to enter the Android's form roughly a month later. Possibly owing to her body's past experiences, the feminine construct took to magic like a duck to water, though she's not quite adept with social protocol, in three months she has mastered the arcane to a point where any other student would have taken three years.

During that period she began to spend more and more time with Arafel Olandir, a helf-elf and one of the expeditionary team that had originally uncovered her several years prior. When Kythera had attempted to take her first steps into the waking world she found herself more than a little unfamiliar with the new components that had been grafted to her, her nanites having not yet completed the conversion process. As she plumetted to the ground below, it had been he who caught her and stopped her clumsiness to undo all the work that had gone into repairing her over the last few years. As she got to know Arafel, he had also been the one to suggest she make the attempt to learn magic to compensate for her physical feebleness. She has grown to respect the man in the last few months, though she can't feel a... a connection as the humans, half-breeds or other creatures of pure flesh did, butdid her best to put up a front for people, even if it isn't quite as convincing as she would like.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:06:37 PM by Ershin »

Offline ThisOneGal

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2014, 06:25:02 PM »
Valki Karnak
N Human Bard (Archaeologist)
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=17192

One of Khonnir's quasi-adoptive daughters and one of his students, she was taken in by him after her mother died.
Khonnir repeatedly forbade her from entering the caves under the hill, despite her pleas.
For reasons she's never understood, she does not get along well with Val.
Valki never knew her father. Given her bardic tendencies, she's joked that he's probably an antagonist.
Her mother, Hiriko, was a draconic sorceress. Valki did not witness her death.
Almost all of the rumors about her are false.
Has never killed anyone.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:47:54 PM by ThisOneGal »

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »
The following is a work in progress for both fluff and crunch.
Also I'd rather not step on anyone's toes, would you prefer if I chose a class other than Arcanist since Autocad has already posted a wizard?

Kythera gained her name roughly three years ago when she was unearthed in the Kytheran ruins to the far south, the android's shell reduced mostly to her torso and head, suspended from the chamber's ceiling connected to various machines seemingly designed to keep the blonde machine stabalised, though the excavation team who discovered her had polarised theories about whether this was an actual attempt to keep her alive or a way to stop a new soul from entering the body as this had been noted as happening through androids' life cycles. The body was removed from the ruins and brought to the Temple of Brigh in the town of Torch, as the lead arcaeologist Raymond Singer had developed a friendship with Joram Kyte.

For over two and half years Joram and his acolytes attempted to tinker with Kythera's body while also slowly disassembling the life support system that had been dug out with her. As a result of the Joram's work, Kythera looks much more obviously artificial than many other androids, owing to her arms and legs being built with more recent technology rather than being completely constructed from technology from a bygone age or beyond the stars.
Four months ago, the life support system was finally switched off, allowing a new soul to enter the Android's form roughly a month later. Possibly owing to her body's past experiences, the feminine construct took to magic like a duck to water, though she's not quite adept with social protocol, in three months she has mastered the arcane to a point where any other student would have taken three years.

I think you've got a cool and workable idea, but it may need some tinkering. Some of the ideas in it don't quite sync with how Androids are portrayed in Pathfinder, although to be fair, most of the information that would tell you that is in the Ecology of Androids article that is a part of this module. I'll point some things out and give you some snippets to help you adjust the background.

Androids are partially construct, but they are much, much closer to an organic being than to a machine that looks like a human. In fact, I'd hesitate to even call them machines. In other settings, they may be termed androids instead, since they are more organic artificial constructs than mechanical ones. The only real steel and wire machinery in their biology is their nanites, everything else is organic or an organic analogue.

Quote from: Ecology of Androids
Every aspect of the android body is engineered to mirror human biology, even at the expense of practicality or optimization. Specialized nanites construct new androids inside incubators that resemble sarcophagi. A bone-like polymer makes up the skeleton, on which are layered synthetic muscles and connective tissue. The android’s 5 artificial organs mimic those of humans, including heart, lungs, digestive tract, and nervous system. In the final stages of construction, the nanites lay down partially organic skin and hair analogs that so closely resemble that of organic humans as to be indistinguishable from them. The only physical trait that indicates androids’ nature is a slight metallic sheen to their eyes if viewed in the right light. Otherwise, androids outwardly resemble humans in all ways, including a great diversity in skin, hair, and eye coloration.

An android eats, drinks, breathes, and excretes much like a human, though certain improvements have been made. Androids do not require sleep, and resist biological diseases. Their thin, watery blood carries life-sustaining oxygen in the fluid itself rather than in cells. Instead of clotting, android bleeding is halted by repairs carried out by nanites. These nanites carry out other biological functions as well, including cleansing the body of accumulated toxins. Androids have limited control of their nanites, and can call on them to exceed their normal bodily and mental limits for an instant’s effort. Some androids attain a higher level of control, and can marshal their nanites to heal grievous wounds in moments.

More than any other element, the android brain, is what makes androids truly alive and sentient. For this brain, the engineers eschewed circuitry in favor of a fully organic computer. Its artificial cells implement adaptive neural network designed to mimic their best understanding of living brains.

With age and the inevitable failing of their systems weighing upon them, some androids proved able to bring on a reset of their own initiative and passed this knowledge to others of their kind. This process, now called renewal, erases the android’s mind, releases its soul to travel to the Boneyard, and leaves its body a vacant shell. For 2 to 3 weeks, the android is inactive as nanites rebuild and restore its body to its original, youthful state. Ready to live again, the android awakens to a new life with a reborn soul and, occasionally, faint residual memories of its prior lives.

Finding an Android torso on life support may be possible, but I don't think that the technology of Golorian would be sufficiently advanced enough to replace her missing limbs, and the life support systems would have to be major, otherwise here organs and blood loss would kill her, just like any other humanoid. Perhaps through a combination of magic, luck, and the life support, they were able to graft bits and pieces of cybernetics discovered in the ruins onto her and trigger in the nanites into accepting the graphs and mostly converting them into material that is similar to those normally found in an androids body, although the conversion may mot be complete.

The other major factor you would have to consider is the Technic League. They would not hesitate to steal Kythera and use her for their own nefarious purposes if they found out about her, and they have spies everywhere. Raymond and Joram would likely have had to keep her a secret and she would have to hide parts of her that are obviously not human.

As for class, that's totally up to you. I don't have mind have multiple options when selecting characters and I expect there will be a lot of applications to this one.

I hope that's helpful! I don't want to force a change in you concept, just trying to give some guidance with the background that I know not everyone has access to.

Still working on fluff.

Crunchy stuff: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=171921

Can you double check your link? Its not valid for me.

Offline ThisOneGal

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2014, 08:05:37 PM »
Link should be fixed now.

Edit: Also, are ropebows a thing? They should be a thing.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 08:15:29 PM by ThisOneGal »

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2014, 09:19:16 PM »
Link should be fixed now.

Edit: Also, are ropebows a thing? They should be a thing.

Okay, thanks, that's much better. One thing of note is that you can only take one of Numerian Archeologist and Local Ties, since both traits are Campaign Traits, and characters may only possess one trait of each type.

I've haven't heard of ropebows before and google has turned up nothing on them relating to pathfinder.

Offline ThisOneGal

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2014, 09:41:03 PM »
Traits fixed.

Ropebow stuff was me talking about the rope bow from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and the rope arrow from Tomb Raider (2013). Basically, using an arrow to attach a rope to something so you can climb it. Unworkable in reality (rope will be too heavy/short to be useful, arrow is unlikely to be a secure anchor point for anything useful), but it's a cool idea.

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2014, 09:46:51 PM »
There's assorted magic items that can do similar stuff, but nothing mundane that we can have at 1st level, no.

Offline ThisOneGal

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2014, 10:01:10 PM »
I wasn't expecting anything at first level, but I didn't find anything at all.

So there being similar stuff later on is cool.

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2014, 10:06:43 PM »
What you may be able to do is make a durable arrow (1 gp) out of adamantine (+60gp) and tie a good rope to it. It's not high tech, and you'd probably want really good rope, but it may be slightly more doable.

Offline deadmanshand

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2014, 10:10:49 PM »
Well... this is my first attempt to get involved in a game here on Elliquiy. So not super acquainted with the site yet or how things generally work around here yet but hoping to change that. Iron Gods sounds interesting. Right up my alley in fact.

So - without further ado - may I present Graham Luftweld?

NG, Human, Alchemist (Crypt Breaker)

Graham is the second born child of Christof and Melinda Luftweld - Ustalavan by birth but true natives of the road. Merchants by trade who traded in everything and with everyone. As much of his childhood was spent among the ruins of Osirion as among the market stalls of Talidor. While his sister - Helena - took after the business showing a good head for numbers and trade Graham found a different path. His first love was tales of other worlds and mysteries locked away in ruins. Strange creatures and danger and treasure... that was what called to him. His parents not only supported him they paid for his apprenticeship with the gnomish alchemist Majet.

She took him in and treated him like one of her own. For 3 long years he lived and traveled with her. Learning every aspect of alchemy he could from her and even incorporating tricks from books he'd read. Finally she told him his apprenticeship was at end. They celebrated and Graham even spent some time with his family afterwards but his goal was already fixed in his head.

Numeria. A land of fallen stars, ancient ruins, and strange, otherworldly creatures. It was made for him.

With his family's blessings, a full stomach, and a new wardrobe he set out for that land. In short order he found himself in Torch a little short on coin but quick with a smile. Doing his best to bring out the mother in the older women and the lover in the younger. Always looking out for a party that might have need of his talents.

Questions/Thoughts/etc:

1. Are you cool with racial substitution abilities?
2. I'm interested in having some kind of ties to Jhestine Imierin of Tempting Tonics. Of whatever nature. Is there anymore information on her?

Now obviously those questions only really matter if you are interested in me writing with you. If this character doesn't work for you or the party simply needs something different I can try that. A Cleric or Inquisitor of Brigh could be interesting. Same for an Impossible Blood Sorcerer or a Holy Gun Paladin. Ideas I am never short of. If you're curious as to what kind of writer I am I do have a writing sample up at my O/Os linked in my signature.

Offline ThisOneGal

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2014, 10:56:28 PM »
What you may be able to do is make a durable arrow (1 gp) out of adamantine (+60gp) and tie a good rope to it. It's not high tech, and you'd probably want really good rope, but it may be slightly more doable.

Don't have enough cash for that (105 starting, bow is 30, + 61 for arrow, + 10/100 for silk/spider silk rope). Could buy one pretty quickly though.

Edit: Oh hey: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/tools-kits#TOC-Arrow-Grappling
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 11:53:03 PM by ThisOneGal »

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2014, 11:02:40 PM »
I wasn't expecting anything at first level, but I didn't find anything at all.

So there being similar stuff later on is cool.

You could also be a gnome gunslinger, take the Experimental Gunslinger archetype, and get yourself a Darkwing Duck gun. Grapple hooks? alchemical stuff? small mammals? sure!

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2014, 11:02:54 AM »
For sure, any of them would work well. You could also use a stalker or warlord from Path of War with Trashing Dragon.

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2014, 11:44:08 AM »
Okay here's our deadline:

Late on Wednesday August 27th, I will be choosing four characters for this game. That should give everyone about another week and a half to solidify your character sheets, for about two weeks of total time. I can already tell this is going to be good, the ideas I've seen are awesome!

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2014, 11:57:07 AM »
Questions/Thoughts/etc:

1. Are you cool with racial substitution abilities?
2. I'm interested in having some kind of ties to Jhestine Imierin of Tempting Tonics. Of whatever nature. Is there anymore information on her?

Now obviously those questions only really matter if you are interested in me writing with you. If this character doesn't work for you or the party simply needs something different I can try that. A Cleric or Inquisitor of Brigh could be interesting. Same for an Impossible Blood Sorcerer or a Holy Gun Paladin. Ideas I am never short of. If you're curious as to what kind of writer I am I do have a writing sample up at my O/Os linked in my signature.

Gah, sorry, I somehow completely missed this!

1. Do you mean the alternate traits from the Advanced Race Guide? If so, then yes. What did you have in mind?

2. I'll double check, but I don't think so. Improvise for now and if it needs adjusting later we can work on it.

I think the character is a good idea, although your other suggestions could work very well too! A Holy Gun would be very cool in this path, as would anything Brigh related. Whether he fits the group's needs... that's a strange alchemy (ha!). We seem to have pretty balanced selection options so far, so he's got a shot. Full disclosure if you go for Crypt Breaker, I don't know how much in terms of undead we'll see. That said, we know we'll be seeing lots of constructs, so I'm sure you're okay with that :)

Offline deadmanshand

Re: Iron Gods (Pathfinder; Recruiting until Aug 27)
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2014, 01:16:43 PM »
I was thinking of replacing Skilled with Heart of the Fields and Bonus Feat with Focused Study. Heart of the Fields I know is supposed to represent growing up on a farm and the like but it also seemed fitting for someone who spent their entire youth traveling and working with a merchant caravan. Focused Study just fits how I see Graham. Less a generalist and more someone who throws themselves into their passions wholeheartedly. Focusing on one thing at a time.

Improvise with Jhestine. Got it.

Yeah it was actually hard to settle on a character idea for Iron Gods. So many cool options. Gunslingers, Investigators, Arcanists, Inquisitors... hard to pick. Finally settled on a Crypt Breaker Alchemist for two reasons. One is that I haven't gotten to play an Alchemist yet. Two is that Crypt Breaker seemed like the Indiana Jones archetype for Alchemist. I'm less concerned about the undead than I am constructs and traps - which fits with the character. That's all part of his interests. And - yes - Graham will be taking Stargazer as a trait.

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2014, 01:27:16 PM »
I was thinking of replacing Skilled with Heart of the Fields and Bonus Feat with Focused Study. Heart of the Fields I know is supposed to represent growing up on a farm and the like but it also seemed fitting for someone who spent their entire youth traveling and working with a merchant caravan. Focused Study just fits how I see Graham. Less a generalist and more someone who throws themselves into their passions wholeheartedly. Focusing on one thing at a time.
Yup, sounds like those would work!

Yeah it was actually hard to settle on a character idea for Iron Gods. So many cool options. Gunslingers, Investigators, Arcanists, Inquisitors... hard to pick. Finally settled on a Crypt Breaker Alchemist for two reasons. One is that I haven't gotten to play an Alchemist yet. Two is that Crypt Breaker seemed like the Indiana Jones archetype for Alchemist. I'm less concerned about the undead than I am constructs and traps - which fits with the character. That's all part of his interests. And - yes - Graham will be taking Stargazer as a trait.
Very fair! There are tons of cool ideas here! Stargazer sounds like a plan.

Offline Ershin

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2014, 03:49:50 PM »
I think you've got a cool and workable idea, but it may need some tinkering. Some of the ideas in it don't quite sync with how Androids are portrayed in Pathfinder, although to be fair, most of the information that would tell you that is in the Ecology of Androids article that is a part of this module. I'll point some things out and give you some snippets to help you adjust the background.

Androids are partially construct, but they are much, much closer to an organic being than to a machine that looks like a human. In fact, I'd hesitate to even call them machines. In other settings, they may be termed androids instead, since they are more organic artificial constructs than mechanical ones. The only real steel and wire machinery in their biology is their nanites, everything else is organic or an organic analogue.

Finding an Android torso on life support may be possible, but I don't think that the technology of Golorian would be sufficiently advanced enough to replace her missing limbs, and the life support systems would have to be major, otherwise here organs and blood loss would kill her, just like any other humanoid. Perhaps through a combination of magic, luck, and the life support, they were able to graft bits and pieces of cybernetics discovered in the ruins onto her and trigger in the nanites into accepting the graphs and mostly converting them into material that is similar to those normally found in an androids body, although the conversion may mot be complete.

The other major factor you would have to consider is the Technic League. They would not hesitate to steal Kythera and use her for their own nefarious purposes if they found out about her, and they have spies everywhere. Raymond and Joram would likely have had to keep her a secret and she would have to hide parts of her that are obviously not human.

As for class, that's totally up to you. I don't have mind have multiple options when selecting characters and I expect there will be a lot of applications to this one.

I hope that's helpful! I don't want to force a change in you concept, just trying to give some guidance with the background that I know not everyone has access to.

Thank you very much for your reply!
I was aware that androids in Pathfinder were very similar to organic life, so much so that they appear to be organic until further inspection, somewhat like Robin Williams' character in Bicentennial Man in the second half (third third?) of the movie - I also had the opening scene from "Megaman Zero" in my head when I wrote about Kythera being found as she was. Perhaps that influenced me a little too much?

I was perhaps a little hasty in writing my first draft, I was under the impression that while Androids were (for lack of a better term) techno-organic or just had artificial organs similar to Williams' afore-mentioned role, that they may have been able to have been repaired as any modern-day machine. Maybe it would be better to say that her current limbs were prosthetics animated by her nanites, but without full control over them and as the minuscule machines were never intended for the purpose it leaves her physically weak (represented by her score of 7 in strength)? Perhaps combine this with your idea that said nanites are slowly attempting to assimilate the graft and making it more like the rest of her body but the process is going to take quite a bit of time to fully complete?

I had also neglected to remember the Technic League - Thank you for reminding me about them. I suppose I glossed over the section when I read that they believed Androids to be little more than property and basically thought "well I guess I won't be part of that group".

I'll have another good think about it and should come up with my next draft in a day or so - May I PM it to you for perusal when I'm done so as not to continuously muddy up the thread with my terrible writing, haha?

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2014, 12:48:16 AM »
I'll have another good think about it and should come up with my next draft in a day or so - May I PM it to you for perusal when I'm done so as not to continuously muddy up the thread with my terrible writing, haha?
Okay, let's get this one out of the way... your writing isn't terrible! The idea is a good one, it just needs some adjustment. If you want to handle it by PM, that's okay though, although I'm a bit quicker with answers in the main thread.

Thank you very much for your reply!
I was aware that androids in Pathfinder were very similar to organic life, so much so that they appear to be organic until further inspection, somewhat like Robin Williams' character in Bicentennial Man in the second half (third third?) of the movie - I also had the opening scene from "Megaman Zero" in my head when I wrote about Kythera being found as she was. Perhaps that influenced me a little too much?
I wouldn't say too much. It's a neat idea, the mechanics of it just may be a little different than you originally imagined. It just challenges me to find a way to make the concept work, instead of saying no dice. Which is a good thing :D

I was perhaps a little hasty in writing my first draft, I was under the impression that while Androids were (for lack of a better term) techno-organic or just had artificial organs similar to Williams' afore-mentioned role, that they may have been able to have been repaired as any modern-day machine. Maybe it would be better to say that her current limbs were prosthetics animated by her nanites, but without full control over them and as the minuscule machines were never intended for the purpose it leaves her physically weak (represented by her score of 7 in strength)? Perhaps combine this with your idea that said nanites are slowly attempting to assimilate the graft and making it more like the rest of her body but the process is going to take quite a bit of time to fully complete?
I think that's a good compromise.

I had also neglected to remember the Technic League - Thank you for reminding me about them. I suppose I glossed over the section when I read that they believed Androids to be little more than property and basically thought "well I guess I won't be part of that group".
Yeah, they're really not nice. They will fill a similar niche to the Nazis in Indiana Jones and Captain America from what I can tell.

In other news, maps are coming along well. I'm fairly psyched!

Offline Ghostwheel

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2014, 01:14:25 AM »
"Naz--Noxia--Technics. I hate those guys..."

... I think I genre-jumped a few times :-3

« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2014, 01:53:29 AM »
Numerian Technics! Man, I hate Numerian Technics!

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2014, 01:55:07 AM »
Robots. Why did it have to be robots?

Offline Ghostwheel

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2014, 11:48:58 AM »
Name: Arafel Olandir

Race: Half-elf

Class: Oracle

Background:

Arafel's story begins a few decades ago. Back then, people had for the most part understood when the violet flame that gives the town its name would erupt, but sometimes there were... accidents. He was the scion of such an accident, one of the countless orphans rendered parent-less when the violet flame grew in girth and spat its killing flames.

Arafel's birth father was an oddity among the elves. Like most elves he was inquisitive by nature, but unlike most, he was warm and kind and enjoyed working with his hands to shape skymetal into the most elaborate shapes imaginable. This is what probably drew Arafel's birth mother to him, both his warmth and his artistic side, and for many years they were together, the love and trust between them deepening into something that defied words. His father vowed that there would be no one else, that he would take care of her in her old age, and that as long as he lived he would remember her. Arafel was born some years later, and the family was happy together.

Until calamity struck. Arafel's mother was helping his father with the forge close to the violet flame when it swelled up. Before they could cry out or feel a thing, they were both swallowed along with many of the blacksmiths who gathered before the pillar to shape their wares. Now an orphan, Arafel might have fallen to thievery among the streets, and come into his own among the Ropefists were it not for one among the council, Serantha Olandir. She took him and the other orphans in, giving them a home in her estate alongside her husband.

Years passed, and many of the orphans left to find their own path, helped along by Serantha's wisdom and guidance. But Arafel felt a pull, a different call from the others, and after a few years of serving in the City Watch, he transcended and became a fine officer. Armed with the might of his sword-arm, he helped the guardsmen put down a number of the Ropefists, and sent others to the jails to await their just punishment. It was perhaps in retaliation for this, and to send a message, that one day Serantha's husband was mugged and killed in one of the alleyways within Torch, or perhaps he was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Regardless, his extended family mourned for his loss, and Arafel swore a sacred oath to help Serantha in any way he might to stop the lawless advances of crime and depravity upon their town. He became a paladin, and his faith carried him forward, yet he also began to take a more active hand in the ruling council, speaking before it a time or two, passionately making his case when it came to the laws and helping to push for reforms that loosened the Ropefists' grasp on the city.

However, two of his siblings disliked his sudden rise to political power, having worked so hard to gain for themselves minor seats on the ruling council. While lacking his tongue and the confident way he carried himself which caused people to flock to him, they were far more clever and steered things to impede him. Hella and Markus, they often worked together and at times crossed each other to each gain an advantage, a fact that often stymied Arafel and caused him no little frustration. Yet he never found out why or how he was at times stopped from speaking, or not called upon at all when a relevant topic came up.

To add to the frustration, the Technic League seemed to suck at the city's lifeblood with no sign of stopping. It had irked him time and again that they must tithe so much of their hard-earned wealth, yet Serantha councilled him to her wisdom, that it was better than being forced to live under their rule by force or obliterated from the land entirely. And so he has stayed his hand and tongue when one of their representatives was sent, yet he chaffed under that yoke. Yet it wasn't just them that kept him awake at night. The awakened creatures from ages past with their smooth surfaces and strange, metallic features were a constant source of distraction.

He constantly heard tale of a new monstrosity that had woken rather than remaining asleep as it properly should have, and begun to terrorize the countryside, interrupting not only the scavenging operations that kept the lifeblood of Torch flowing, but also causing bodily harm, and sometimes death to settlers and travellers. The roads weren't as safe as they had once been, and time and again he rode out at the front of a company of men, intent on saving as many as he could. Usually he was able to help the others in destroying these dangers, but sometimes they encountered only tracks out into the distance and broken bodies along the roadside.

It was unacceptable, and yet there was nothing he could do about it. The frustration ate at him, but found no catharsis for nothing could be done as they sometimes seemed to appear at random, and at other times had to be moved in order to mine the starmetal that jutted from the ground. And so he continues to seethe quietly as new stories of travellers attacked reach Torch, unable to do anything but help pick up the pieces and bring down any towering mechanical fiend that he and the others find.

One of the trips found him deep in strange ruins alongside a scavenging team. Here, he and Dr. Raymond Singer unearthed a strange android that appeared... strange, to say the least, attached to some sort of technological device. Doctor Singer deduced that it kept the broken android alive, and with the team's help, Arafel and Raymond brought the android back to Torch. Doctor Raymond theorized that they could return the android to life with some work, and swore the entire team to secrecy, citing the need for silence on the Technic League. None of them wanted to raise the Technic League's awareness, or give them another prize to steal from Torch, and they agreed.

It was a long time later when they were finally able to reawaken the android, an event Arafel was present for, and he helped her take her first step into the world, brought back to life after so long asleep. Befriending her, he often accompanies her around town or visits her at her arcane studies, arranging for her to learn since she seemed to have a knack for the eldritch arts... something he did not particularly understand. Still, her demeanor at times puts him off, due to her lack of emotional response that seems to occur with most androids.

Today, he still speaks to the council at times, though more rarely, and mostly helps the City Watch when they need it in order to restore order to the city or put down a rampaging metal monstrosity awakened from the past that had been unearthed in the search for Skymetal by reclaimers, guarding them against any threats they might face. He is a welcome sight on the city streets, and continues to follow his purpose in the quest to help others.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:53:03 PM by Ghostwheel »

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2014, 06:39:35 PM »
Looks good Ghost! Do you know what trait you're shooting for? Any idea about archetypes, or are you going straight Paladin?

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2014, 07:04:31 PM »
My guess is Against The Technic League.

Offline Ghostwheel

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2014, 11:27:36 PM »
Looks good Ghost! Do you know what trait you're shooting for? Any idea about archetypes, or are you going straight Paladin?

Thinking of going with Robot Slayer, and I'll be going with Oath of Loyalty for the archetype.

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2014, 01:58:41 AM »
Thinking of going with Robot Slayer, and I'll be going with Oath of Loyalty for the archetype.
Alright, sounds good. You may want to work some robot encounters into your background then, since it doesn't really seem to mesh up with Robot Slayer, at least not yet at least.

Offline Ghostwheel

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2014, 04:46:22 AM »
Alright, sounds good. You may want to work some robot encounters into your background then, since it doesn't really seem to mesh up with Robot Slayer, at least not yet at least.

Sounds good. I've put out a few feelers to see if anyone wants to have a shared background, and I'll tie that in as well.

If anyone else wants to have a shared background with my character, please speak up or PM me :-)

Offline MiraMirror

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2014, 10:42:13 AM »
Showing interest/making a character sheet pending a question or two for the DM. If the idea is good, I'd want to make a Flying Blade who worships Desna. The theme of the campaign is partially related to the wonders of discovery, and Desna's all about that, so you could expect a wide-eyed wanderer sort of character who's just as likely to joke around with the enemy in a fight as she is with friends.

I also wouldn't necessarily mind sharing a background with you, Ghost, or anyone. I rather enjoy shared/linked backstories.

Edit: So, the Swashbuckler class (the new one) is on the SRD, but the Flying Blade is not. I have the PDF, so I could copy/paste the thing into GDocs or something, but it's all down to GM discretion, obviously.  Flying Blade is basically throwing knives/starknives, lots of ranged attacks, and critical hitting to get panache back, and I rather like the idea of a Desnan throwing starknives and joking around in the heat of battle.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:55:07 AM by ThatOneShrroth »

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2014, 11:26:57 AM »
I believe this is the line you are looking for Shrroth:
Classes: Any from the above sources. I do have the Advanced Classes Guide, so go wild. This is a great campaign for gunslingers too!

Offline MiraMirror

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2014, 11:35:20 AM »
Ah, sorry.  One thing is a bit annoying, though. Flying Blade is built around just that, going around throwing starknives/daggers around, and being good at it.  In terms of flavor, I love the class.  The class features are flavorful and fit, and that's awesome.  The only thing I legitimately dislike is that with all the things they can do, they just...don't do that much.  They're supposed to be this acrobatic class that can hit a target from a good distance (which they can do), but they don't contribute that much to the party, from what I read.  They don't do much damage, they can't really do any CC until they get things like Blinding Critical, Stunning Critical, etc. Slashing Grace would be lovely, but it's specifically for Slashing weapons, hence the name.  This is the only thing that's really deterring me from playing the class, honestly.  A friend of mine made a feat that allows Dex to damage (or half Dex to damage in the case of an offhand piercing weapon), but again, that's DM fiat as to allowing stuff like that.

Tl;dr: What is a Flying Blade supposed to even do?

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2014, 11:52:44 AM »
Ah, sorry.  One thing is a bit annoying, though. Flying Blade is built around just that, going around throwing starknives/daggers around, and being good at it.  In terms of flavor, I love the class.  The class features are flavorful and fit, and that's awesome.  The only thing I legitimately dislike is that with all the things they can do, they just...don't do that much.  They're supposed to be this acrobatic class that can hit a target from a good distance (which they can do), but they don't contribute that much to the party, from what I read.  They don't do much damage, they can't really do any CC until they get things like Blinding Critical, Stunning Critical, etc. Slashing Grace would be lovely, but it's specifically for Slashing weapons, hence the name.  This is the only thing that's really deterring me from playing the class, honestly.  A friend of mine made a feat that allows Dex to damage (or half Dex to damage in the case of an offhand piercing weapon), but again, that's DM fiat as to allowing stuff like that.

No problem. People miss stuff, we're all human.

Offline MiraMirror

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2014, 12:09:12 PM »
Basically, my main gripe with the class is that it seems to be built as a damage dealer, but it does little-to-no damage, even with a critical hit (which it needs to focus on, due to the way it regains panache).

In any case, this was the homebrew feat mentioned. I doubt it'll be accepted, but I'm throwing it out there. 

Also, I didn't make the feat, so if anyone argues about it, please do not come at me. ;_;

Greater Weapon Finesse

Greater Weapon Finesse: Your skill and speed with your weapon, and your knowledge of vital areas allows your quick and agile strikes to land to land devastating blows.
Prerequisites: Dex 15, Int 13, Weapon Finesse
Benefit:  You may replace your Strength modifier for your Dexterity modifier on damage rolls with any finesseable weapon. You are not able to get Dex and a half damage when two-handing these weapons.  You cannot gain Dexterity to damage when using a shield.  You do 1/2 Dexterity to damage when using this with an offhand weapon.
Special: Characters with Swashbuckler's Finesse and similar abilities that allow them to treat a weapon as a finesseable weapon or use their Dexterity on attack rolls with a weapon are treated as if they have Weapon Finesse for the purpose of this feat and its prerequisites.

If it's not good-to-use, I'll just have to think of something else, possibly a Warpriest.

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2014, 12:18:37 PM »

The archetype doesn't really alter your melee abilities, aside from Weapon Training - which you don't really lose, it just gets applied to daggers and starknives. What you get is a standard Swashbuckler who just happens to be somewhat better at throwing knives. it's not a dedicated throwing archetype, just a small enhancement for ht guy who wants his swwashbucklerto sever the chandalier's rope with a tossed knife or something.

The ACG archetypes aren't real impressive. Have you looked at the Divine Tracker?  :-X Damned thing gets proficiency with weapons it was likely already proficient with (unless you're a ranger of Zon-Kuthon or something... good luck with that!) And trade out their 4th-level companion for 1st-level Warpriest domains. Poor Rangers, still don't know what a good archetype looks like!

And the feat looks more or less like Mythic weapon Finesse.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:21:02 PM by Chulanowa »

« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
Yeah, I'd rather stay away from custom content right now. Sorry.

Offline MiraMirror

« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2014, 12:37:44 PM »
It's fine, I understand.  I think I'll take a look at the Warpriest, in any case. I'm not really big on casters, and Warpriest is slightly less caster-y than a standard cleric. ^^
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:39:14 PM by ThatOneShrroth »

Offline Ghostwheel

« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »

The advantage of the flying blade is that they're not limited to melee, which makes it a hell of a lot easier to hit with full attacks.

What this means is that you can build entirely glass cannon since you're not going to be in melee much anyway. Then just abuse Precise Strike to do tons of damage without having to go through the nuisance of getting into flanking or spending a move action to get next to an enemy in order to make a full attack.

Add onto that, the flying blade can use this from 60' away rather than the 30' the Swashbuckler is normally limited to. Finally add on things like Bleeding Wound and Targeted Strike as you like to further add a twist to combat and deal status effects that completely disrupt their ability to fight well--without a save. And since attack modifiers quickly outclimb AC for the most part, you won't have trouble hitting either way.

Hope that helps!

Poor Rangers, still don't know what a good archetype looks like!

Have you looked at the Freebooter archetype? Pretty damn awesome IMO for giving your party a huge bonus to attack and a decent one to damage. Low attack, high damage characters love them, and Freebooter's Bane is untyped so it'll stack with just about anything.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:47:16 PM by Ghostwheel »

Offline MiraMirror

« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2014, 12:48:03 PM »
Ghostwind: Okay, I can see that working well, but it also seems like one of those classes that doesn't do well without a good chunk of gold. Thrown weapons are nice with Flying Blade, but you either buy a ton of them, get them enchanted with Returning, or buy that belt that uh...I can't remember the name of it...and use Quick Draw with it. I'm so torn right now. ;~; Also, how would a Flying Blade do full attacks with thrown weapons? You'd have to throw one, draw one, and repeat, right? Or could you TWF throwing daggers/ starknives to the same effect? I don't think Precise Strike works with TWF, though... (Also, would you mind continuing this via PM? I don't want to accidentally clog up the thread.)

Offline Ghostwheel

« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2014, 12:51:50 PM »
Continuing via PM as requested... beep boop, "Ghostwind"? :P

Offline Raelice

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2014, 12:56:56 PM »
Tentatively look at making either an Alchemist, an arcanist, or a shaman.

If I went with the alchemist I would be a crafter of various sorts, always experimenting with the new technology hoping to delve into the secrets it holds. The sheer joy discovering an artifacts use would be more valuable then the gold it's worth.

The Arcanist would be of a similar nature, though more experimenting with magic's rather than artifacts.

The Shaman would take the possessed shaman archetype, being born in numeria with whispers always intruding in his mind as a child. He later learned to interpret these things and gained from their knowledge.

Rough Ideas for now, several others that are coming into my head that I'll expound upon later. The most likely is shaman right now.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 01:09:50 PM by Raelice »

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2014, 02:10:42 PM »
Tentatively look at making either an Alchemist, an arcanist, or a shaman.

If I went with the alchemist I would be a crafter of various sorts, always experimenting with the new technology hoping to delve into the secrets it holds. The sheer joy discovering an artifacts use would be more valuable then the gold it's worth.

The Arcanist would be of a similar nature, though more experimenting with magic's rather than artifacts.

The Shaman would take the possessed shaman archetype, being born in numeria with whispers always intruding in his mind as a child. He later learned to interpret these things and gained from their knowledge.

Rough Ideas for now, several others that are coming into my head that I'll expound upon later. The most likely is shaman right now.
Given that people have already applied with the Arcanist and Alchemist classes, I'd say Shaman is your safest bet so far.

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2014, 07:51:58 PM »
Alright well, y'know how I was likely to change up my barbarian lady? Well... no freaking kiddingXD I got hit by a sudden burst of inspiration, and rather than try to wrangle brown Sonja into submission, I decided to just go with my initial idea, slightly tweaked...

Name: Corrag
 Race: Half-orc
 Class: Barbarian
 Campaign Trait: Against the Technic League

Background
   Corrag hails from the West, where Lastwall, Ustulav, and the Hold of Belkzen adjoin. He was always reminded that his bloodline was equal parts tainted and pure - he bore in his veins the greatest of war-heroes, and the most miserable of enemies; Of course, those heroes were orcs and the enemies human. Growing up among the orcs of Belkzen, it was of course imperative to never succumb to the weakness of that taint, and to strive for the example of the ancestors.
   of course, not all can be savagery and war; Corrag's tribe by necessity had somewhat peaceful dealings with nearby human villages - the primitive Kellids had little worth raiding for, and put up enough of a fight to earn some respect. A one of the few half-orcs, Corrag was often the go-between. Two barbarous people, coming together, to trade weapons, trade hides, and more often than not, trade blows
   It was one such Kellid that has driven Corrag on his current quest; A heavily scarred, strange man from further east challenged Corrag's honor, and paid the price. As his token of victory, Corrag claimed the man's armarment - with his shattered arm, the human would need it no longer. The work of the weapon was exquisite, the material surprising; when he asked the other Kellid about where their fellow had gotten it, they shrugged and pointed eat, speaking the name of Numeria, and Torch.
   Corrag's cheiftain was no fool, as orcs went. If far-off Numeria were a source of fine weapons like this, then they should be in the tribe's hands! He gathered some of his loyal warriors together, including Corrag, and saddled them with a mission - to find out about these weapons, and come back, wither with loot, or a trade route. Again. As orcs go the chieftain was no fool.
   Most of the party was lost in dark Ustulav; the remainder took a good look at the wastelands of Numeria opening before them, and turned back, probably never to return. But not Corrag. Corrag has invested too much time to back out now, and besides - if Numeria really is the home of such weapons, why shouldn't he stay, and become his own chieftain?

In Torch
   Corrag came to Torch because of, well, the torch. His understanding was that Torch's forges were the primary source of the skymetals he had been learning about. And wouldn't it just so figure, the damned thing goes out a few days after he arrives. Despite his... distinctive appearance, he has managed to get some rapport going with Dolga Feddert - the old dwarf certainly doesn't trust the savage, but he's been respectful ("honored Elder" is a good title to approach her with, apparently) and has answered some questions about the make of his weapon.
   Corrag has also learned about the Technic League; from what he knows, he understands that they are an impediment to his goal of claiming good weapons for his tribe (whether the one back home, or one he envisions for himself...) He's also sharp enough to realize that if Torch can't pay its debts, the league takes the town in hand... and he can't accept that. not while he's so close... and thus, he's become part of the effort to seek the cause of the Torch's disappearance. That so many others have gone in to never return will just make the glory of his victory all the greater!

Personality
   Though raised with orcs, Corrag is not evil... Well, perhaps by standards of the goodly deities, he could be. Good and evil aren't what's truly important anyway - Strength and honor are what are important! That one comes from the other just makes it so much simpler. Corrag is a very proud person; his bloodline is supposedly heroic, he's the only one of his tribe's expedition brave enough to continue, and he'd wager his strength against any four of the runts in Torch!
   Though on the taciturn side, Corrag's not a loner or isolationist; he's tribal, you need all hands on deck to succeed. You have to trust, you have to assist, you have to know people! or you're alone, and a lone orc is a dead orc - the irony that he believes this, and yet is the lone one of his tribe to forge into Numeria is lost on him. Unlike many half-orcs, his time as a "diplomat" (basically, diplomacy consisted of formalized ass-kickings...) has made him at ease with his heritage somewhat. He regards himself as being of Kellid blood, though the Kellids themselves might dispute the claim.

Description
   You might never guess Corrag to be a half-orc - Part of this is the fact he's almost a human cube, five-feet eight inches, broad-shouldered, covered in muscle... but mostly it's due to the sun-bronzed, orange-tinted skin, the beetled brow, and of course, the jutting tusks. His human qualities are minor, but once noticed, evident - clear blue eyes, thick, smooth-textured hair cropped into a crest, and a surprisingly rich-timbred voice... One almost wants to hear the man sing. Everything about him speaks of tension and power.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:53:59 PM by Chulanowa »

Offline Ershin

« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2014, 06:55:29 AM »
Just a heads up, I am alive, but have whisked back halfway around the world to find my net is non functional. Hopefully it will be soon, just keep in mind that I will be slow to reply.

Offline Ghostwheel

« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2014, 12:54:19 PM »
Background has been updated to include robots, androids, and homeless waifs on the run.

Offline Ala Rai Sen

« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2014, 04:54:59 PM »
I'd like to toss my hat in as well.
Name: Luka
Race: Human (Garundi-Kellid mix)
Class: Arcanist (White Mage & Unlettered Arcanist archetypes)
Sheet: http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=13731
Campaign Trait: Local Ties

Personality: Luka is friendly and outgoing, always willing to meet new people, this is most likely due to Khonnir and Val's influence, given her background. Luka is open and upbeat, and makes friends easily. However, everyone has a sore spot and hers involves her old tribe and traditional Kellid values.

Background: Luka is the daughter of a Black Horse tribesman named Dolak and a Garundi caravanner named Ashia, whom Dolak had saved after she was separated from her caravan and left for dead. Raised by her father, since Ashia fell ill while pregnant and died giving birth to Luka's younger brother Barek, her life was fairly typical for a Kellid child. Though without their mother, the two sibling grew to become especially close.

However, this changed in her late teenage years, when she started displaying an innate talent for magic. Unsurprisingly, she was banished from the tribe shortly after her talent was discovered. She may not have survived the hazards of the numerian wastes, if it weren't for a pack of supplies that Barek had snuck out to her. With these supplies she was able to last long enough to be found by Khonnir and Val.

After hearing her story, Khonnir took her in as another adopted daughter. Living with Khonnir and Val, she joined Val in her magic lesson, though thanks to her innate magic, she started casting complete spells before Val, thus developing a friendly rivalry between the two. Added to this, she became greatly interested in the technological wonders of the land, and when she wasn't practising her magic, she was studying the few books of technology that Khonnir had. And of course, when she wasn't doing either of those, she spent her time much in the same way that Khonnir and Val did, helping the folks around Torch.

Now with Khonnir's disappearance, she has become frantic. She wants to head out to find him as soon as possible, but knows that she would not survive long on her own, and at the same time, she doesn't want to risk Val, the only member of her adoptive family that she has left. Now she can be found around town, trying to find people and information to help in her search.

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2014, 02:52:59 AM »
Gannak Half-Man
Human Male Summoner (Synthesist) 1
Campaign Trait: Local Ties
Appearance: Dresses as nicely as he can afford, generally in secondhand finery, and generally maintains his personal appearance as best he can. Hides his prosthetic leg inside his trousers, but has to wear his prosthetic arm (much cruder than the image) openly to manipulate it.

Personality:Exhuberant, cheerful, and  outgoing often to the point of unnerving strangers. Even without his eidolonic shell, his demeanor is of one permanently enthused with what life has to offer, completely at odds with the arthritic and clumsy movements of his crippled limbs. If he cannot simply survive having half his body roasted away by the violet flames, but regain his old dexterity and more via mechanics and magic, he can surely overcome anything else fate might choose to throw in his path. People who succumb to anything less as obstacles aren't worth paying attention to.

Background:
Gannack Smeltman was a smith, son of a smith and grandson of a smith. His grandfather had been a Khellid tribesman with a talent for ironworking, and was among the first to set up shop around the Torch when it burst into the sky. He made his family prosperous in the blacksmithing business, and each son of the line followed in his footsteps. Gannack's own father took up the forge-cart from his father, and Gannack in turn took it from him. But disaster struck not long after Gannack's twentieth birthday; seeking to finish a particularly difficult piece of work, he impetuously lingered just a few moments too long - rushing to avoid the fire, he tripped. He was still alive when others returned to the hilltop, albeit unconscious with his left arm and leg cooked to blackened meat and hideous burns along the flesh of his side. Through luck, will, and the skilled care of the local apothecary Jhestine, Gannack survived, though many thought death would have been more merciful to the former smith.

Unwilling to settle for the life of a beggar, dependent on his family or the charity of others, Gannack set to repairing himself the best he could - knowing tribal lore would not be up to the task, he immersed himself in the world of mechanics and machinery, studying the functions of devices he had forged parts for but never regarded with interest. Even magic was no longer off-limits, and he found access to both types of knowledge in the hands of two men. Khonnir Baine saw in him a fascinating combination of charity case and experimental subject, taking on Gannack's education as a sort of pet project while giving him access to a library's worth of mechanical and engineering texts that were rare treasures in the wildlands of Numeria. Joram Kyte, the elderly priest of Brigh, saw only a horribly injured young man seeking to understand mysteries that were the domain of The Whisper in the Bronze, and let him use the temple's workshop and material free of charge. In the process, he successfully converted Gannack to the worship of Brigh, and oversaw Gannack as he painstakingly crafted limbs of brass and leather to replace the amputated ones of flesh. Controlled by what remained of his shoulder muscles, neck, and hip, the intricate devices restored to Gannack a haunting shadow of mobility; still dependent on a cane, but with the semblance of a man's shape again at last.

Emboldened by this small success, Gannack was nonetheless at the limits of what mundane machinery could provide him, and so he turned to mysticism for further progress. Now he read texts of arcane theory from Khonnir's archives, and prayed regularly to Brigh in the temple for a miracle. And yet again, both sources delivered in their respective fashions; concurrent with studying a book on extraplanar summons, an emissary of Brigh physically manifested in the temple as Gannack was finishing a plea. The inevitable offered him a deal, in reward for his dedication and ingenuity -while Brigh would or could not restore him to true health, by her leave the inevitable could seal a pact with Gannack and bind to him, through his prosthetics, a portion of his spirit. While calling upon the power of this pact, he would bear the kolyarut's strength inside a echo of its form -but the pact could be temporarily severed by injury, and would require time to repair itself. Joram was overjoyed by the revelation; the humble worshipper in his care had become a partial avatar of his goddess. Khonnir was fascinated as well, intrigued by the arcane means and methodology that formed the foundation of this otherwise divine bargain. Gannack himself, though, saw only victory, the deserved reward for persevering against all odds.

Relationships: Gannack is single. His father died years ago, leaving his mother and several children - Gannack's younger brother inherited the family forge when Gannack was injured, and his sister married out into one of the nomadic tribes. Among the townsfolk, most were either repulsed by his hideous injuries, or unnerved by first his home-built prosthetics and then the otherworldly overlay of his eidolon pact. Joram proved to be one of his few steadfast friends, his relationship with Khonnir something halfway between tutor and test subject. The Baine household in general was in general a uncomfortable place for Gannack - while he appreciated Val's attractiveness, the thought of alienating his mentor by making an expression of his interest kept him silent.

« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2014, 12:46:52 PM »
Alright well, y'know how I was likely to change up my barbarian lady? Well... no freaking kiddingXD I got hit by a sudden burst of inspiration, and rather than try to wrangle brown Sonja into submission, I decided to just go with my initial idea, slightly tweaked...
You've got one too many traits. We're only going with two each and not using drawbacks. Otherwise it looks good.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:48:00 PM by FallenDabus »

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2014, 01:10:31 PM »
You've got one too many traits. We're only going with two each and not using drawbacks. Otherwise it looks good.

Oh! I didn't realize. Alright. Let me juggle some stuff around, then, and I'll have it fixed up nice-like  ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 01:20:52 PM by Chulanowa »

« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2014, 03:21:14 AM »
As we come into the last 24 hours, you'll want to be finishing up your character sheets if you haven't already.

To inspire everyone, here is a playlist I've put together with some of the music I'm associating with this adventure path:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC1HV2lanYIdKW4ekrxS2kmbtf0FF5J1O

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2014, 02:26:41 PM »
Linkin park

...Not sure if want...  :-\

Anyway. Got Corrag equipped. I hope you don't mind the "fiddly bits" of equipment being left a little vague - i find it absolutely tedious to count up every individual piece of chalk my character brings along. "Oh drat if only I had packed seven fishhooks instead of just six!" has never once been uttered at any table I've been at  ::)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:27:53 PM by Chulanowa »

Offline Ershin

« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2014, 03:01:16 PM »
Updated my sheet. Now includes feats, spells, class features and equipment. All the good stuff.

« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2014, 09:08:19 PM »
Okay, here we go!

The party is:
Kythera, Female Android Arcanist, played by Ershin
Valki Karnak, Female Human Archeologist, played by ThisOneGal
Corrag, Male Half-Orc Barbarian, played by Chulanowna
Arafel Olandir, Male Half-Elf Oracle, played by Ghostwheel

Please post your character sheet in the OCC thread, which is found here. We've still got a little bit of group building to do before the game starts properly, which we will do in the OCC thread once we know that everyone is with us.

Offline ThisOneGal

« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2014, 09:10:09 PM »
Hurray!

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »
*plots terrible, horrid fates for the lucky winners and rivals on the waiting list*

Nah, kidding. O:)

Maybe. >:)

Offline Anon315

« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »
Curses, took me too long.

Ah well. Best and warmest regards to the rest of you.