So, here're the application and character creation rules:
1) The group consists of me as DM (possibly running an NPC or DMPC, who might be swapped out for another NPC as necessary, to accompany the other three party members), Latooni, and two other players, for a 4-person party. The two players will be chosen by Latooni, so all
bribes go her way, not mine.
2) Paizo-published sources only. If it isn't on d20pfsrd (maybe like some of the latest books), I might not have easy access to it. It doesn't mean it's not allowed, but you shouldn't assume I have it memorized.
3) The Jade Regent Player's Guide is recommended reading, and it's a free download, so no excuses.
4) I'm assuming that you aren't here for the awesome caravan rules, so the caravan portion will be handwaved over. Let me know if you feel otherwise...
5) Your level 1 character should hail from Sandpoint or nearby, and have ambitions larger than a small sleepy town like Sandpoint can fulfill, so you'll jump on board when the chance to hit the road presents itself.
6) Like what Latooni said, Sandru Vhiski owns a caravan, but usually sticks to relatively safe routes and nearby destinations, so there're no real rumours of any trip to new and exotic lands (yet!).
7) Race: follow rule #2 above. Besides the usual inhabitants of Avistan, there is also an eastern-themed option for flavour. Some of the citizens of Sandpoint come from Minkai (fantasy Japan) originally, having immigrated from the other continent several generations ago. The real-world analogue would be Japanese-Americans. Anyways, the point is that these guys will be third- or fouth-generation Minkans, and have integrated into Varisian culture, but they can also retain enough of their native heritage to provide background for playing an eastern-themed class like samurai or ninja, and they can also have
Minkan names. For example, Ameiko Kaijitsu.
8) Class: follow rule #2 above. As mentioned above, this is the chance to play an eastern-themed class while being entirely consistent with the setting. It's not necessarily, but it's an option.
9) Ability scores: choose one of the methods below (before racial modifiers):
Method A: Roll 4d6 drop lowest six times and distribute the stats as you wish.
Method B: Get one free 18, then for the others roll 3d6 five times and distribute the stats as you wish.
10) Languages: Tien is available as a bonus language (through high intelligence modifier or taking a rank in Linguistics) to everyone. Although it is mostly for flavour and usefulness in the campaign proper is not guaranteed. No, characters of Minkan descent don't get it for free (see Japanese-American above).
11) Traits: 2 traits, one and only one of which must be a campaign trait from the Jade Regent Player's Guide. Try not to have the same campaign trait as other players.
12) Drawbacks / fancy ways to get additional traits or feats / etc.: not allowed.
13) HP: maximum at first level.
13) Starting wealth: average for class.