WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLaughingOne

Cost is a bit of another issue..

3 ABs cost 135, 270 for 6
PEs are 3 for 177 and 6 squad 354!!!

So yeah... Pricy. Then again, for flying squad of heavy weapons or plasma guns, one for troop hunting, one for armour cracking.. could be worth it?
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Beorning

*static screech of a loudspeaker being turned on*

Citizens of the Empire, we interrupt the current activities to bring you important news!

Beware!!!!

For...

...Slaanesh is BACK!!!

*gasps*

Seriously speaking: GW has finally released some new Slaaneshi models and units. I just saw them in the GW webstore - and they are rather impressive. I've always said that of all of the Chaos gods, Slaanesh was the only one I found genuinely scary... And now, GW has really upped the uneasiness factor: the new Fiends drip BDSM and the Enrapturess model is something out of Clive Barker fiction. Aside from scares, the new version of Keeper of Secrets is just stunning, as is the new Slaaneshi "monster hunter" you can build from the same kit. There's also a new Masque (I'm kind of meh on this one), a new duo of a Herald and a Daemon Prince, as well as a living mirror that crawls on metal tentacles. I only wish they had updated the riders and the Daemonettes - I think they are still the old models...

Overall: much impressed!

Inkidu

Quote from: Beorning on April 27, 2019, 09:57:56 AM
*static screech of a loudspeaker being turned on*

Citizens of the Empire, we interrupt the current activities to bring you important news!

Beware!!!!

For...

...Slaanesh is BACK!!!

*gasps*

Seriously speaking: GW has finally released some new Slaaneshi models and units. I just saw them in the GW webstore - and they are rather impressive. I've always said that of all of the Chaos gods, Slaanesh was the only one I found genuinely scary... And now, GW has really upped the uneasiness factor: the new Fiends drip BDSM and the Enrapturess model is something out of Clive Barker fiction. Aside from scares, the new version of Keeper of Secrets is just stunning, as is the new Slaaneshi "monster hunter" you can build from the same kit. There's also a new Masque (I'm kind of meh on this one), a new duo of a Herald and a Daemon Prince, as well as a living mirror that crawls on metal tentacles. I only wish they had updated the riders and the Daemonettes - I think they are still the old models...

Overall: much impressed!
You do realize that by making a mass announcement that chaos exists means that the world is going to be wiped out right?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Beorning

Okay, guys, I have a question!!!!

The White Dwarf magazine. Is there a way to buy back issues from GW? I need one issue of that magazine... but it's sold out *everywhere*. Could GW themselves be of any help..?

HairyHeretic

I don't think they would. If its a recent issue, maybe asking in a FB group, someones local newsagent / store might have a copy around.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Beorning

I see. Anyway, phew! Thankfully, I found someone on FB who had it and didn't need it anymore. Problem solved :)

TheLaughingOne

so, one of the dudes in my game group has figured out that ambots from necromunda make awesome bases for meganobz..

will keep updates as he goes along!
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

I'd like to take the time to plug this guy's channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Luetin09/featured (Luetin09)

He does some really good analysis and criticism and sometimes lists of 40K lore (he also does Judge Dredd stuff).

He has the best explanation on what the STCs are.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sain

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 12, 2019, 06:21:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2B6de1Geks

If you haven't watched parts 1-3 yet, watch them first :)

Holy damn that is the coolest thing I'll see today (if not this whole week). Really awesome battle scene. Are those regular human psykers with some psyker enhancing implants or who are they?
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

TheLaughingOne

I think they are human psykers that have been "upgraded" in some way, possibly using xeno tech or areotech or something. Most psykers tend to be rather... diminished? from the rigors of using their powers inflicts on their body. Completely possible someone used xeno tech to upgrade a couple.

At first i thought they had some masks that made them look like erebus, but pause and closer look its not quite, and the script looks alot more squiggly xenos of sorts.

Gene mods could be out there to make them close to the height of a space marine like they are shown to be...

Who knows! we will just have to wait for part 5... ... .... damn it.
My Ons and Offs!

HairyHeretic

Eisenhorn TV series announced. That's probably a solid choice for a 40k intro, even if I would have preferred seeing First Claw on the screen :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheLaughingOne

My Ons and Offs!

Cold Heritage

I hope it does better than that CGI Ultramarines movie from a while back.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

TheLaughingOne

So... At first i thought the above was just like someones kitbash, taking a redemptor dread and turning it into the bastard child of a Dreadknight and Penitent engine...

But its an actual thing.
Ok. Gun arm looks cool, like some dual ironclad stubber thing? And the chest mounted ones as well..? Those are cool kinda sorta.

But why the giant heavy bolter pistol strapped to its leg...?

And the kicker... Its a Stealth giant stompy robot!! Its part of the vanguards so it can be stealth deployed out! Cause... The Redemptor is just so compact and lithe!

(left to right: Regular dread, contemptor, Redemptor, and then Leviathan, which is still all the murder of the other 3 condensed down into 1)

Im... im getting less and less impressed, the vanguard stuff was cool and made some sense, granted, the jump jet auto cannons were a BIT out there... but...

this just goes a bit over the top...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/03/apocalypse-mega-battle-and-warhammer-40000-previewgw-homepage-post-1/
My Ons and Offs!

Cold Heritage

I can sort of grokk the Guard having their little walker doo-dad, but not the Astartes.

I just don't get these weird intermediate units like this one and the Centurions. Like, they're sort of these weird things somewhere between a marine and a vehicle and they just never quite hit the mark.

TheGlyphstone

It's like they took the Dreadknight and somehow made it dumber. At least the DK had a force field protecting the pilot instead of a metal cage.

TheLaughingOne

Agreed: Guard walkers make sense, they are light weight recon/attack vehicles, there to scout and menace enemy forces..

But this..? no. just... No.

And as someone who uses Centurions... They arent that bad. Once you use them a couple times they make some sense, sort of a heavy weapons platform, they cant move worth a damn, but they have decent armor to protect them, and lots of heavy weapons to hold a position. And with the raven guards Strike from the shadows, they are excellent for a starter ambush, if a bit pricy..

Playing against a friends guard armor column he left a small spot open behind his lines, 9 inches away from all his units. suddenly Boom. 2 centurions with a pair of lascannons and missile launcher each (missles being d3 attacks, s8, ap-2, d3 dam) and the sergeant with a pair of heavy bolters and the missile launcher. Three wounds, Toughness 5, and a save of 2+ (no invuln). granted that set up costs 315 points..

He is now VERY careful about spreading out his starting troops in their staging area.

that said... the Assault centurions... that movement of 4 with no real transport options just REALLY kills them.
they are only useful with strike from teh shadows to get them in close, then you just have to worry about that 9 charge...

BUT!

they cost 195 for 3 guys.
for 175 you could get

5 vanguard veterans with Jump jets and equipped with Storm shields and thunder hammers.
They have the same number of melee attacks, and nearly the same attack profile, cents just get 1 more ap (-4 instead of -3) and 1 higher strength (which results out to centurions getting S10, -4ap, 3 damage and Vets getting S8, -3ap, 3 damage) But with basic numbers vets are going to get 4 more attacks as they have 2 more guys..
Vets get that sweet sweet 3++ save where centurions are going to get only a 2+ and drawing every bit of AP fire available.

And with the vets 12 move rather then 4... not to mention it being a flying 12 so dont ahve to worry about terrain....

Granted, Ass Cents get the assault launchers (if you end a charge with in 1" of enemy unit, roll a d6, on 4+ deal a mortal wound, so thats 3 chances) or hurricane bolters, and then a choice of flamers or meltaguns.. The chance of actual ranged attacks is nice.... But then why not get regular cents?

assault centurions are just outclassed in the end..

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 04, 2019, 12:13:47 AM
It's like they took the Dreadknight and somehow made it dumber. At least the DK had a force field protecting the pilot instead of a metal cage.

Like i said. Bastard child of a dreadknight and penitent engine in the throws of a drunken passion.. and then stayed drunk.

That said id like to see some cool Orky kitbashing to make them warbosses in mega armor or such..
My Ons and Offs!

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheLaughingOne

Holy shit!! A fucking Labyrinth reference!?!

going through everchosen painting comp, and this is one that turned up!
My Ons and Offs!

Beorning

So, after years of waiting, GW finally updated the Sisters of Battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOIvR3K_V-M

Strangely enough, they look worse than the old ones (IMHO). I really don't like this new Canoness...

TheLaughingOne

Just got the raven guard supplement book, and...

mixed feelings. I liked it, good info on chapter history and such, but for the 30 bucks it cost... eeehhh.. RG took a big hit in some of their strats and such, no more 1st round infiltrations, you just get to select one infantry squad and move them their normal move before game starts, cant end within 9 of enemy.

relics and gears pretty cool, but.. book just wasnt worth 30 bucks. didnt even have cool blurbs on the diff units like some of the other books which added some cool flavor, just old past battles and things.
My Ons and Offs!

TheGlyphstone

So I could use some brainstorming help, to generate small plots/adventures for my newly started Rogue Trader campaign.

The game itself is a very open ended sandboxy/hexcrawl-type, in a newly discovered and mostly uncharted/unexplored homebrew fringe subsector post-Indomitus Crusade. What I need are adventure-seed ideas, and the associated Imperial factions that might request them of the dynasty. Mechanicus, Imperial Guard, Imperial Navy, Ecclesiarchy, Inquisition, Underworld, Navis Nobiliate are all possibilities.

Examples:
(Adeptus Mechanicus) - A secret research outpost has stopped transmitting data, investigate its silence.
(Imperial Navy) - Particularly ambitious pirates are raiding convoys and ships to colony worlds.
(Underworld) - An anonymous nobleman desires a unique xenos artifact for his secret collection.

Anyone want to throw some random ideas out at me?

Cold Heritage

Apropos of nothing, I like that Raven Guard model that's come out with the emo kid haircut.