You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 07, 2016, 06:11:40 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: WH40000 - what's your opinion?  (Read 53325 times)

Offline Soveliss

Re: WH40000 - what's your opinion?
« Reply #1725 on: July 14, 2016, 09:56:08 AM »
Why did you bother posting in a WH40k thread if you're just going to blast the setting for personal reasons?

Also it's like everyone nowadays on the internet 'went through hell IRL'. What, how many buddies did you lose in the 'Nam?

For the first question, my answer is: because the title of the thread is"WH40000 - what's your opinion?". Not "put your unending praise about WH40k here". A negative opinion is an opinion.

For the second question, do you want me to go to the police station, ask for a copy of my deposition about being hit in the balls with a metal crutch, and ask for a copy of my second deposition about one of my female classmate raping me, as well as getting a signed paper from my psychiatrist and my medical help confirming that I do have PTSD, and attempted suicide a few dozen times that they know off, or is it a waste of time because you won't ever read them, since they are in a foreign language anyways?

Edit: I'm not fishing for sympathy here, just responding to someone obviously mocking me. I have a very good shrink and I'm well on the road to recovery.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:02:08 AM by Soveliss »

Offline CountessJess

« Reply #1726 on: July 14, 2016, 10:06:47 AM »
For the first question, my answer is: because the title of the thread is"WH40000 - what's your opinion?". Not "put your unending praise about WH40k here". A negative opinion is an opinion.

No, the title of the thread is 'What's your opinion'. It's not 'Look at me, I'm such a sad person, so 40k is bad because of my personal sob story'. Wow, thanks, that was totally helpful to no one but you. Your negative opinion was there so you can feel sorry about yourself, not because you were there to actually discuss the merits and demerits of 40k as a setting.

For the second question, do you want me to go to the police station, ask for a copy of my deposition about being hit in the balls with a metal crutch, and ask for a copy of my second deposition about one of my female classmate raping me, as well as getting a signed paper from my psychiatrist and my medical help confirming that I do have PTSD, and attempted suicide a few dozen times that they know off, or is it a waste of time because you won't ever read them, since they are in a foreign language anyways?

No, I don't want any of that, because honestly speaking, I don't care. This is a thread about 40k, not your personal blog. There are parts of the site where you can keep your own personal MEMEME diary. This is a 40k thread.

Offline Soveliss

« Reply #1727 on: July 14, 2016, 10:15:31 AM »
No, I don't want any of that, because honestly speaking, I don't care. This is a thread about 40k, not your personal blog. There are parts of the site where you can keep your own personal MEMEME diary. This is a 40k thread.

If you don't care, maybe you should not be asking, especially in such a dismissive and mocking tone. Don't Ask, Don't Tell. I have a right not to like the setting, I have a right to say it, and I'm even gonna quote the first post:

I was wondering: what's your opinion on the WH40000 setting? Interesting? Not interesting? Does it lend itself to serious stories, or is it too silly for that?

Also, have you played any of the related roleplaying games? What are they like? Are they very combat oriented, or can you investigative and social stories with them?

(emphasis mine)

I have spoken, saying it was uninteresting to me because of my perspective in life, and you were mocking me. Not only were you mocking me, you asked, so I told. Were you not mockingly asking, I would have been quite content to not elaborate on my initial comment. With that, I would be very content to do something more productive with my time than answering mocking comments, like celebrate my recovery and the fact that my University year was a success, and things like that. Or even gush about settings I love or complain about settings I hate, without having to endure mockery for that.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:36:25 AM by Soveliss »

Offline CountessJess

« Reply #1728 on: July 14, 2016, 10:43:38 AM »
If you don't care, maybe you should not be asking, especially in such a dismissive and mocking tone. Don't Ask, Don't Tell. I have a right not to like the setting, I have a right to say it, and I'm even gonna quote the first post:

Similarly, I have a right to criticise your opinion. My criticism is that your opinion is heavily biased because it is primarily based on personal sob stories rather than real aspect of the setting. Grimdark has its faults but you listed nothing other than OH NOES ITS SADS BECAUSE IM A SAD BUNNY. No talk about whether it was self-aware satire, or far too childish over-the-top nonsense, or whatever. Just a narcissistic post about how urgh my life story makes me hate grimdark ultrasads.

(emphasis mine)

I have spoken, saying it was uninteresting to me because of my perspective in life, and you were mocking me.

Yes, I was mocking you, because your only parameter for whether 40k is good is contingent upon whether it makes your special snowflake life feel any fluffy cuddly affirmation. I suppose the Theban plays must be shitty theatre then.

Offline Soveliss

« Reply #1729 on: July 14, 2016, 10:56:43 AM »
Similarly, I have a right to criticise your opinion. My criticism is that your opinion is heavily biased because it is primarily based on personal sob stories rather than real aspect of the setting. Grimdark has its faults but you listed nothing other than OH NOES ITS SADS BECAUSE IM A SAD BUNNY. No talk about whether it was self-aware satire, or far too childish over-the-top nonsense, or whatever. Just a narcissistic post about how urgh my life story makes me hate grimdark ultrasads.

Yes, I was mocking you, because your only parameter for whether 40k is good is contingent upon whether it makes your special snowflake life feel any fluffy cuddly affirmation. I suppose the Theban plays must be shitty theatre then.

I draw the line at actually insulting and degrading people for their tastes in entertainment. You wanna play WH40k? Have fun. Without me. You wanna watch Theban plays? Good for you. Just don't expect me to follow you to the theater.

I don't go around calling people who only swear by tragedies "pretentious True Art(TM) believers who would have a meltdown at anything that looks remotely happy". For the record, I don't even think that, I had to struggle to write that comment. You, on the other hand, have dismissed my life experiences without knowing a single thing about me, accused me of being a narcissist, a snowflake, and probably other things (I don't feel like hunting down every thing you have called me) all of that for only because I admitted to prefer setting that have hope in them.

Why do I even bother?

Offline CountessJess

« Reply #1730 on: July 14, 2016, 11:06:09 AM »
I draw the line at actually insulting and degrading people for their tastes in entertainment. You wanna play WH40k? Have fun. Without me. You wanna watch Theban plays? Good for you. Just don't expect me to follow you to the theater.

I don't go around calling people who only swear by tragedies "pretentious True Art(TM) believers who would have a meltdown at anything that looks remotely happy". For the record, I don't even think that, I had to struggle to write that comment. You, on the other hand, have dismissed my life experiences without knowing a single thing about me, accused me of being a narcissist, a snowflake, and probably other things (I don't feel like hunting down every thing you have called me) all of that for only because I admitted to prefer setting that have hope in them.

Why do I even bother?

You posted on an online forum and when somebody criticises your opinion, you get upset? Your opinion was based on your own personal experience, and if I disagree with your opinion, I have to poke at your personal experience. Honestly, though, your first sentence:

You wanna play WH40k? Have fun. Without me.

You should have taken your own advice. You didn't come here to talk about the merits/demerits of 40k, you came here to pontificate about how '40k isn't for MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'. So yes, if you're so upset about 40k, let other people discuss the qualities of the setting, without you posting.

Offline Soveliss

« Reply #1731 on: July 14, 2016, 11:10:08 AM »
You posted on an online forum and when somebody criticises your opinion, you get upset? Your opinion was based on your own personal experience, and if I disagree with your opinion, I have to poke at your personal experience.

Mockingly asking me, quote:

. What, how many buddies did you lose in the 'Nam?

unquote, goes beyond disagreement and into personal attack territory. Just saying.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #1732 on: July 14, 2016, 11:25:15 AM »
This has gone far enough.

Having a dissenting opinion isn't wrong, although posting in the thread guarantees that it will continue to show up in your 'unread responses' as long as the thread exists.

Attacking someone for having a dissenting opinion is wrong, and goes against Elliquiy's civility rule.

This conversation is to be dropped.  Now.

Offline CountessJess

« Reply #1733 on: July 14, 2016, 11:33:43 AM »
This has gone far enough.

Having a dissenting opinion isn't wrong, although posting in the thread guarantees that it will continue to show up in your 'unread responses' as long as the thread exists.

Attacking someone for having a dissenting opinion is wrong, and goes against Elliquiy's civility rule.

This conversation is to be dropped.  Now.

Whatever you say, boss.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 11:35:48 AM by Oniya »

Offline Warlock

« Reply #1734 on: July 16, 2016, 03:33:54 AM »

HAPPY
SPACE MARINES

His lips are almost upturned! It's a miracle by the Emperah!

Offline BeorningTopic starter

« Reply #1735 on: July 16, 2016, 03:19:59 PM »
His lips are almost upturned! It's a miracle by the Emperah!

Hee hee  ;D

Offline Changingsaint

« Reply #1736 on: July 18, 2016, 03:48:13 PM »
I have to admit after looking at the DOW 3 gameplay I am not.. enamored with it. They have time to iron it out, but I am interested in seeing how it goes. I also wonder if they are hiding a 4th faction, as I can imagine Chaos, Nids, or even Necrons generating some massive excitement from fans.

Online HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #1737 on: July 18, 2016, 05:55:42 PM »
It could be good, but what I really want is Horus Heresy: Total War :)

Could you imagine a battle with hundreds, perhaps thousands of Marines, scores of armour, superheavies and Titans towering over everything?

Offline Changingsaint

« Reply #1738 on: July 18, 2016, 07:37:11 PM »
I don't think 40k works as well as Fantasy does for total war, really. 40k works best on a different level, I think a good mix of DoW1 and 2 would be best. I did like the way heroes were used in 2, but it was too skirmish focused, whereas I liked the larger battles of DoW1.

Offline ChaoticSky

« Reply #1739 on: July 18, 2016, 10:27:04 PM »
I would prefer Total War: 40k.   :P

I'm not a big fan of HH, and i honestly cant see how literal armies of Total War could be a bad thing in a 40k game.

Online Doomsday

« Reply #1740 on: July 19, 2016, 12:05:48 AM »
Taking my Space Wolves into a newbie-oriented tournament in less than two weeks. 850 pt first round, 1050 pt second round, 1250 point third round. If anyone's curious, I'll posts my lists later :o

Offline Pumpkin Seeds

« Reply #1741 on: July 19, 2016, 01:18:16 AM »
Not sure if this is the place to post this.  I might find myself with some time soon and was curious about actually starting an army.  Anyone know anything about Necrons and how they play?  Seems my least expensive option to do a starting set.

Online Doomsday

« Reply #1742 on: July 19, 2016, 07:04:36 AM »
Not sure if this is the place to post this.  I might find myself with some time soon and was curious about actually starting an army.  Anyone know anything about Necrons and how they play?  Seems my least expensive option to do a starting set.

In my little social sphere that just started playing 40k, we do have a Necron player, yes. Their gameplay is interesting, almost all of their units have this thing called reanimation protocols- Anytime they get wounded or die, they have a chance to recover that wound. And I think their default weapons are Gauss, meaning they're very effective against vehicles; A standard gun wielded by a troop unit like say, a space marine, would have no chance of hurting say, a tank, but gauss weapons always have a 1/6 chance of wounding a vehicle. I don't know if that's just how my friend kitted out his army or if that is a standard, but I have lost games based on how quickly he's managed to take down my vehicles.

Offline Wajin

« Reply #1743 on: July 19, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »

After their last codex, the people I know who play necrons say they find it quite enjoyable (They win a lot too) The necrons Special Characters come with some pretty fun rules and wargear that you can play around with too, much more so than they used to. The Necron players in the area I play in have a pretty high win rate, but since I mostly play apocalypse and HH these days, I can't speak to the actual tactics and crunch of the newcrons

Offline BlackNight897

• Lord
  • Bacchae
  • Location: Small Islands.....long forgotten and lonely....relics of past empires.
  • I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1744 on: July 19, 2016, 03:06:16 PM »
Not sure if this is the place to ask, and apologies if already asked and answered earlier in the thread:)

There are three board games I am interested in, but wondering what would be the best to enjoy some of the WH40K universe (especially more from the miniature painting point of view); but also, to try and get people interested in such games.  The games are:

Betrayal at Calth

Deathwatch Overkill

Forbidden Stars

I am leaning toward:

'Betrayal at Calth' for the Heresy aspect, plus the miniatures. 

'Deathwatch overkill' because it appeals like Space Hulk and love the lore behind the Deathwatch, it seems simpler, excellent models and perhaps not as 'hard core' as BAC

'Forbidden stars' I think gets away from the miniatures and perhaps would entice others to have a go, being not so intimidating as the other two.

Have any of you played these and can offer up which one is more 'fun'?

Offline AngelsSonata

« Reply #1745 on: July 19, 2016, 04:50:24 PM »
Personally I'd go for Betrayal at Calth. It has more to offer in terms of miniatures, you have an entire army ready to go once its been put together. You could still split the models between the scenarios which is a bonus. Fun thing is, if you want to start a Horus Heresy army, you have the models and all relevant options to begin with.

All you'd need are the Horus Heresy books.

Deathwatch is a fun game, though for me BaC will always be the winner. I've never played Forbidden Stars though, so I can't really comment.

Online HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #1746 on: July 19, 2016, 05:19:39 PM »
I have Betrayal at Calth, but I got it solely for the miniatures, to add them to my Night Lords force.

If you want to get people to try 40k without building entire armies, look for the Heralds of Ruin Kill Team stuff online. It's basically the 40k rules, but cut down to skirmish level, with maybe a dozen models on each side. The core of the rules are the same as 40k, allowing people to get a feel for how the game plays, and they only need to invest in a single box set of miniatures to be able to play.

You can play a game in half an hour, and its easy enough to try out different armies and see what you like before investing further.

Offline BlackNight897

• Lord
  • Bacchae
  • Location: Small Islands.....long forgotten and lonely....relics of past empires.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1747 on: July 20, 2016, 06:05:34 AM »
Thanks Angel and Hairy; I think I've now moved from 'Forbidden Stars':).  'Betrayal at Calth' has edged into the lead over 'Deathwatch'....is is just me or both games have a totally different visual impact?  It is very interesting point though, with regarding the Horus and Deathwatch rules.   Tough decision.  It may ultimately fall down to the miniatures…..but Deathwatch does ‘look’ so good and the idea of the elite individuals serving together against the backdrop of ancient animosity….

Betrayal of Calth has a dreadnought and older MK armour which would look amazing painted.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:06:57 AM by BlackNight897 »

Online Lustful Bride

• "Logic is for Squares."
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1748 on: July 20, 2016, 09:24:00 AM »
I kindn of want something with both ground and space command.

Mixing both Battlefleet Gothic and Dawn of War.

Offline BlackNight897

• Lord
  • Bacchae
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1749 on: July 20, 2016, 01:41:49 PM »
 I can’t think of any (have very limited knowledge of board games : )). But could you imagine; battle fleet Gothic and Epic 40K played out online…isolated games of each played out across the world with victories and losses in BG having I direct impact on the Epic games(and vice versa)….I know not what you are looking for, but what an integrated, but isolated gaming event this would be….perhaps how it would be in actuality.