WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Chaotically, Tzeentch is their patron and secretly granting them prayers in the form of 'miracles' as part of some insanely convoluted long-term Plan. ;D

Xanatos

Quote from: ChaoticSky on August 21, 2015, 02:52:14 PM
Officially the power of their faith is such that they are able to channel the divine might of the God Emperor to smite their enemies and heal tha faithful.

Unoffically their collective faith and will are strong enough to induce localized wrap effects despite the lack of psychic talent, not unlike chaos rituals.

Heretically, they probably have some number of latent (or delusional) psykers in their ranks with a natural talent for Theosophamy.

One of the above is true. Which one depends on the author and perspective.

Well from what I read, if a Psyker is properly trained, they aren't considered heretics. So if they do have some, they would be watched, but otherwise could be a potent addition to the SoB.

I agree with Beorning. Blasphemous words Glyph. May you find repentance in death.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Xanatos on August 22, 2015, 03:25:26 PM

Well from what I read, if a Psyker is properly trained, they aren't considered heretics. So if they do have some, they would be watched, but otherwise could be a potent addition to the SoB.

I agree with Beorning. Blasphemous words Glyph. May you find repentance in death.
Unfortunately, thats not how it works in the Adepta Sororitas. Keep in mind, these people are at the high end of the fanatic spectrum... they are dogmatic and unreasonable compared to the Imperiumin general. This is part of why they are used as the go-to military force of the Ordo Hereticus (some of whos members are so fanatical they consider space marines to be heretical adhumans fit for extermination). Psykers who awaken among the Soroitas are not welcome, nor are they even given over to the blackships.

Psykers among the Sororitas are basically treated as sinners, they are locked up and expected to pray/castigate the psyker away, when this eventually fails, they are executed as witches and traitors.

HairyHeretic

Anything that differs from the norm is treated with some degree of suspicion. Psychers who are soul bonded to the Emperor are generally seen as a necessary evil, a tool that can be made use of, but not one to be trusted. After all, if they screw up, deamons will explode out of them.

Some people will treat psychers decently. Redemptionists, Witchhunters, SoBs, they're on the other side of that scale.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Xanatos

Well, then, I see. Sucks to be a Psyker amongst them then. Heh.

Which is ironic as the Sisters worship the God Emperor, a Psyker himself.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Xanatos on August 22, 2015, 06:38:23 PM
Well, then, I see. Sucks to be a Psyker amongst them then. Heh.

Which is ironic as the Sisters worship the God Emperor, a Psyker himself.
Saying that would also get you shot if a Sister heard you. Possibly worse.  ;D

Xanatos

Pff, everything can get you shot one way or another in WH40k. Its all relative. Especially since everyone, save for a Space Marine, seems to have a lifespan of a Housefly!

ps. The above is not meant to sound rude. Just in case it might come across as that.

For those that like Imperial Guard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5W1NCmV_OM

For those that like Sisters of Battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKbH3VuR2_w

arkhos

Quote from: Xanatos on August 22, 2015, 07:42:33 PM
Pff, everything can get you shot one way or another in WH40k. Its all relative. Especially since everyone, save for a Space Marine, seems to have a lifespan of a Housefly!

I assume you meant human-wise...

Eldar live a few years longer than humans do, in general! :P

-ark
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

Xanatos

Quote from: arkhos on August 23, 2015, 12:11:23 AM
I assume you meant human-wise...

Eldar live a few years longer than humans do, in general! :P

-ark

Tell that to these Eldar. =P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu4ABhVd28U

arkhos

Quote from: Xanatos on August 23, 2015, 12:37:00 AM

Tell that to these Eldar. =P

Yeah yeah, can't let the Marines lose face of course!  :P  Three-quarters of GW's fanbase would be up in arms over that!
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

Xanatos

Too be fair... I think... the Marines did die rather easily, though. Taking only a sword stab and a single shot at times. It seems their bodies/armor got severely under played. *shrugs* I'm no expert, but the lore does imply they can and should be able to survive far more than single shots or stab wounds and keep on smashing face.

Personally, I find the Space Marines rather boring, though. Its one thing to be badass, but the Space Marines are a blatant ego-boost common in gaming. Its tripe, if you ask me. Superhuman's who can literally crush all in their path... boring and so unrealistic. The Sisters may be fanatical crazies, but at least they win through sheer will, belief, and awesome. Not because they are genetically-engineered-cheese incarnate.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Xanatos on August 23, 2015, 01:59:16 AM
Too be fair... I think... the Marines did die rather easily, though. Taking only a sword stab and a single shot at times. It seems their bodies/armor got severely under played. *shrugs* I'm no expert, but the lore does imply they can and should be able to survive far more than single shots or stab wounds and keep on smashing face.

Personally, I find the Space Marines rather boring, though. Its one thing to be badass, but the Space Marines are a blatant ego-boost common in gaming. Its tripe, if you ask me. Superhuman's who can literally crush all in their path... boring and so unrealistic. The Sisters may be fanatical crazies, but at least they win through sheer will, belief, and awesome. Not because they are genetically-engineered-cheese incarnate.

Though even that depends heavily on the writer, some are much better at making the Space Marines empathetic than others. Adeptus Astartes are just the 40K version of the otherwise generic 'space marine' stretching back to Starship Troopers and earlier, cranked up to absurd levels like everything else in the setting. Done badly,they are indeed genetically-engineered cheesy tripe who murderize everything in their path without a second glance. Done well, they're people; vastly superior to ordinary humans, but at best average or even inferior to the opponents they're meant to battle on a regular basis.

Xanatos

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 23, 2015, 02:12:52 AM
Though even that depends heavily on the writer, some are much better at making the Space Marines empathetic than others. Adeptus Astartes are just the 40K version of the otherwise generic 'space marine' stretching back to Starship Troopers and earlier, cranked up to absurd levels like everything else in the setting. Done badly,they are indeed genetically-engineered cheesy tripe who murderize everything in their path without a second glance. Done well, they're people; vastly superior to ordinary humans, but at best average or even inferior to the opponents they're meant to battle on a regular basis.

Good point. Comics suffer from the 'Writer Syndrome' as well. So yeah, makes perfect sense. Especially when I remember all the remarks made in this thread about a certain someone... Heh. Loathed by all, loved by none.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Xanatos on August 23, 2015, 02:19:13 AM
Good point. Comics suffer from the 'Writer Syndrome' as well. So yeah, makes perfect sense. Especially when I remember all the remarks made in this thread about a certain someone... Heh. Loathed by all, loved by none.

For all of The Unspeakable One's faults, he made Necrons the most interesting they've ever been fluff-wise, so I maintain ambivalence at best in his regard.

arkhos

Quote from: Xanatos on August 23, 2015, 01:59:16 AM

GW has always been notorious for 'hyping' every figure in every army list. I know they want to sell figs, but... not -everything- can be devastating, terrifying, ass-kicking, name-taking, faster than lightning with unerring accuracy and the toughness of a mountain. There's nothing more fun than to read a 'sales pitch' for some Eldar Guardians, getting them on the table... and then watching them disappear to a stiff wind. :)

If we put fluff against fluff, no one would ever lose! :) I learned long ago that you can't rely on fluff most of the time when it comes to game-mechanics anyway, especially when you're limited to a single d6 mechanic. There's only so much range in there.

Glyphstone touches on the vein of history that I think is relevant: Marines were made to battle Mankind's most dangerous enemies. That doesn't necessarily mean they're 'better' than all of those foes, but they should definitely be mankind's 'best', I think. But I am on the same bus as you, Xanatos - I've always found the Marine literature pretty boring/bland. The ultra-religious gung-ho vibe is just so very 'meh' to me. I know the majority of GW's customers eat it up, though, and I definitely don't mind being in the Xenos Minority!

Xenos - we are 'people' too! :P

-ark

CountessJess

QuoteXenos - we are 'people' too! :P

No you're not, you're xeno scum.

ChaoticSky

if you find SMs bland, then you just need to read about more interesting chapters.

...like the Space Wolves   ;D

CountessJess

Quote from: ChaoticSky on August 23, 2015, 07:38:33 AM
if you find SMs bland, then you just need to read about more interesting chapters.

...like the Space Wolves   ;D

IMHO Space Wolves suffer from the same issue of normal marines in that they're super powerful and kill every enemy they touch and all. It's just that they dislike authority, which apparently redeems them from all the boring baggage of being le big stronk muhreen.

Beorning

Quote from: CountessJess on August 23, 2015, 05:05:29 AM

*sicks Wyches on Countess*

BTW. Guys, I think I've found a more ruinous hobby than WH40K :))

It's White Wolf and World of Darkness. I mean... do you realize how many books are there to collect? Let's say you want to play Vampire: the Requiem. There's the core rulebook, five books for individual Clans, five books for each of the Covenants, a few books on adversaries... And it's only Vampire. The same amount of books exists for Mage. Other games have tons of literature, too...

I haven't realized it in the past, but I'm considering getting back into WoD. I looked at the list of the books I might want to purchase and... gasp! Can't breathe..!!!  ;D

Xanatos

This is taking things more off topic, but a far more ruinous hobby than White Wolf's RPG's and Warhammer's Mini's, is Magic the Gathering. Holy shit that game gets expensive quick! I easily spent over one thousand dollars and I wasn't even hardcore collecting and I had only been playing for around two years. Imagine a lifer or some kid who has money to spend or spends his money only on the game. A single booster is around 4-6 dollars (roughly speaking, been a long time since I've kept up on prices). Then as the set gets older/not printed anymore, a booster raises in price. Sometimes hitting 10+ for a random booster not guaranteed to get you crap. Yeah, I could go on to explain why this game is ruinously expensive, but that would diverge the topic waaay to much.

Suffice to say, in Warhammer and White Wolf, what you see is what you get. Thus you get your money's worth (hopefully). Not the case in MtG. Its a crap shoot.

Anyway...

I'd say, the Sisters of Battle aside, I do tend to find some of the Xeno's interesting. Eldar, specifically, Though the Tau are kind of interesting. Necron are interesting too. More so than Tau, heh.

Well Countess, everyone loves a rebel (especially these days. So full of mistrust for the government). So the Space Wolves sound right up people's love for those sticking it to the big man.

Beorning

Thank God I never got into card games! Not my thing, I think. I tried to get into board games, but after playing some of them, I was like "Okay, but where's the story???".

Nay... I'm a RPer at heart, I think.

I'd say, the Sisters of Battle aside, I do tend to find some of the Xeno's interesting. Eldar, specifically

Dark Eldar are even more interesting ;)

arkhos

Quote from: CountessJess on August 23, 2015, 05:05:29 AM

Coming from a -monkeigh-, I consider that a -compliment-. ;)

arkhos

Quote from: Xanatos on August 23, 2015, 12:17:39 PM

Suffice to say, in Warhammer and White Wolf, what you see is what you get. Thus you get your money's worth (hopefully). Not the case in MtG. Its a crap shoot.

Anyway...

I'd say, the Sisters of Battle aside, I do tend to find some of the Xeno's interesting. Eldar, specifically, Though the Tau are kind of interesting. Necron are interesting too. More so than Tau, heh.

Well Countess, everyone loves a rebel (especially these days. So full of mistrust for the government). So the Space Wolves sound right up people's love for those sticking it to the big man.

Ahh, you said the words made of kryptonite... MTG! I used to be big into it myself, and buying those quiet little booster packs adds up -fast-. WotC 'tapped' (ha ha!) into that 'Christmas morning feeling' with every pack. It can be mega-addicting. ;)

Out of all the Marine chapters, I would definitely play SW if I was forced (at gunpoint) to play one. They do seem to 'buck the trend' when it comes to playing sycophant groups of prayer-muttering super-humans.

And they ride giant wolves. That's gotta count for -something-. :)

That said, SW are my most common 40K opponent at the moment, and that cav is super nasty for certain.

@Beorning

D&D was my first game system, my first love, and I played it for about 8 years before touching my first minis game (Blood Bowl). RPG's really are pretty cheap in comparison, in most cases, to GW games. I learned that the hard way in 1989. LOL! :)

-ark

CountessJess

Quote from: Xanatos on August 23, 2015, 12:17:39 PM

Well, yeah. Seems a bit childish. That, and the yiffing.

QuoteComing from a -monkeigh-, I consider that a -compliment-. ;)

Stu-stupid xeno, I wasn't trying to compliment you or anything! Baka...