You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 10, 2016, 08:51:08 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: WH40000 - what's your opinion?  (Read 53579 times)

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: WH40000 - what's your opinion?
« Reply #1525 on: August 12, 2015, 01:50:00 AM »
I'm actually pretty pleased with Ms. Whitegnoll's coat - I need to do a little touching up - the shadows are a little /too/ deep-black, and I need to fix that, but overall, I am really happy with the way she's coming out.

Hm. I was looking at some of the Hordes stuff for modifying for D&D (.. pretty sure I'm not the only one who's thought about that, and I'm equally certain it goes both ways!). I really like his general 'look' - if I need more werewolves for something, or a Werewolf lord, maybe I'll see if my FLGS has one. Or hit the much-more-local GS shop... that might be fun in the 'shut up, yes, I'm a woman, yes, I am looking for a mini, no, I don't play THIS game, yes I paint go away' kind of sense... >.>

I was looking at a wholly different mini in that general line .. female, with batwings. Might have made a fantastic succubus, if I knew which one it was. I was going to ask, but by the time I had a free moment, they'd finished and packed up and gone. :/

http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/legion-of-everblight/warlocks/absylonia-daughter-of-everblight  ?

Or possibly http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/legion-of-everblight/solos/succubus  ?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 01:53:21 AM by Oniya »

Offline eBadger

« Reply #1526 on: August 12, 2015, 01:57:25 AM »
Nicely done gorax, not a model I usually see getting compliments! 

Also LOL at magmatic butthole. 

Thorne, if you want werewolves then Orboros is definitely the right place to look.

For a succubus, Abby would be awesome, or this if you wanted a smaller model:

Offline BeorningTopic starter

« Reply #1527 on: August 12, 2015, 05:33:41 AM »
Okay, seeing that we're posting more and more of non-WH40K related stuff, I'm making an executive decision and moving our general mini-related discussion here!

Offline Xanatos

« Reply #1528 on: August 20, 2015, 07:39:08 PM »
Everyone is fanatical to some degree or another, but Sisters are probably near the top. Their fluff about marching into battle singing hymns aside, they are the only faction whose fanaticism is powerful enough to give them magical superpowers via Acts of Faith.

Could someone elaborate on how this works exactly? Like Beorning, I find the Sisters of Battle the most interesting faction. Thus, I am intrigued. Nothing in their lore, that I read, even suggests they can do this - although the lore of the Living Saint does actually indirectly support this being possible.

Oh and I know that comment is old, but Beorning got me reading his thread. So, obviously, I am behind on all of the discussions already mentioned in months passed.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:40:10 PM by Xanatos »

« Reply #1529 on: August 21, 2015, 10:56:54 AM »
Could someone elaborate on how this works exactly? Like Beorning, I find the Sisters of Battle the most interesting faction. Thus, I am intrigued. Nothing in their lore, that I read, even suggests they can do this - although the lore of the Living Saint does actually indirectly support this being possible.

Yes, they can do this. To quote the AS Codex:

The Adepta Sororitas can draw upon the wellspring of their faith and call upon the Emperor to guide their actions. So does absolute belief in the Imperial Creed allow the Sisters of Battle to perform the seemingly impossible upon the battlefield.

Yet miracles are not to be relied upon as a matter of course. At the heart of the Imperial Creed is the belief that the divine Emperor relies on his followers to create their own salvation, but also that if the situation is sufficiently bleak, he will intervene to deliver his true servants.

How does this work, exactly? I don't know - maybe it's humanity's latent psychic potential being unlocked through great faith? Or, maybe, it's the collective power of many minds working. Or, maybe, the Emperor is really reaching out and helping them...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:05:34 PM by Beorning »

Offline ChaoticSky

« Reply #1530 on: August 21, 2015, 02:52:14 PM »
Officially the power of their faith is such that they are able to channel the divine might of the God Emperor to smite their enemies and heal tha faithful.

Unoffically their collective faith and will are strong enough to induce localized wrap effects despite the lack of psychic talent, not unlike chaos rituals.

Heretically, they probably have some number of latent (or delusional) psykers in their ranks with a natural talent for Theosophamy.

One of the above is true. Which one depends on the author and perspective.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #1531 on: August 21, 2015, 03:52:34 PM »
Chaotically, Tzeentch is their patron and secretly granting them prayers in the form of 'miracles' as part of some insanely convoluted long-term Plan. ;D

« Reply #1532 on: August 21, 2015, 04:00:56 PM »
... now that's a blasphemous idea. *purges Glyph with flame and melta*

Offline Xanatos

« Reply #1533 on: August 22, 2015, 03:25:26 PM »
Officially the power of their faith is such that they are able to channel the divine might of the God Emperor to smite their enemies and heal tha faithful.

Unoffically their collective faith and will are strong enough to induce localized wrap effects despite the lack of psychic talent, not unlike chaos rituals.

Heretically, they probably have some number of latent (or delusional) psykers in their ranks with a natural talent for Theosophamy.

One of the above is true. Which one depends on the author and perspective.

Well from what I read, if a Psyker is properly trained, they aren't considered heretics. So if they do have some, they would be watched, but otherwise could be a potent addition to the SoB.

I agree with Beorning. Blasphemous words Glyph. May you find repentance in death.

Offline ChaoticSky

« Reply #1534 on: August 22, 2015, 03:44:58 PM »

Well from what I read, if a Psyker is properly trained, they aren't considered heretics. So if they do have some, they would be watched, but otherwise could be a potent addition to the SoB.

I agree with Beorning. Blasphemous words Glyph. May you find repentance in death.
Unfortunately, thats not how it works in the Adepta Sororitas. Keep in mind, these people are at the high end of the fanatic spectrum... they are dogmatic and unreasonable compared to the Imperiumin general. This is part of why they are used as the go-to military force of the Ordo Hereticus (some of whos members are so fanatical they consider space marines to be heretical adhumans fit for extermination). Psykers who awaken among the Soroitas are not welcome, nor are they even given over to the blackships.

Psykers among the Sororitas are basically treated as sinners, they are locked up and expected to pray/castigate the psyker away, when this eventually fails, they are executed as witches and traitors.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:46:14 PM by ChaoticSky »

Online HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #1535 on: August 22, 2015, 05:05:37 PM »
Anything that differs from the norm is treated with some degree of suspicion. Psychers who are soul bonded to the Emperor are generally seen as a necessary evil, a tool that can be made use of, but not one to be trusted. After all, if they screw up, deamons will explode out of them.

Some people will treat psychers decently. Redemptionists, Witchhunters, SoBs, they're on the other side of that scale.

Offline Xanatos

« Reply #1536 on: August 22, 2015, 06:38:23 PM »
Well, then, I see. Sucks to be a Psyker amongst them then. Heh.

Which is ironic as the Sisters worship the God Emperor, a Psyker himself.

Offline ChaoticSky

« Reply #1537 on: August 22, 2015, 06:43:18 PM »
Well, then, I see. Sucks to be a Psyker amongst them then. Heh.

Which is ironic as the Sisters worship the God Emperor, a Psyker himself.
Saying that would also get you shot if a Sister heard you. Possibly worse.  ;D

Offline Xanatos

« Reply #1538 on: August 22, 2015, 07:42:33 PM »
Pff, everything can get you shot one way or another in WH40k. Its all relative. Especially since everyone, save for a Space Marine, seems to have a lifespan of a Housefly!

ps. The above is not meant to sound rude. Just in case it might come across as that.

For those that like Imperial Guard

For those that like Sisters of Battle

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 10:55:20 PM by Xanatos »

Offline arkhos

« Reply #1539 on: August 23, 2015, 12:11:23 AM »
Pff, everything can get you shot one way or another in WH40k. Its all relative. Especially since everyone, save for a Space Marine, seems to have a lifespan of a Housefly!

I assume you meant human-wise...

Eldar live a few years longer than humans do, in general! :P

-ark

Offline Xanatos

« Reply #1540 on: August 23, 2015, 12:37:00 AM »
I assume you meant human-wise...

Eldar live a few years longer than humans do, in general! :P

-ark

Tell that to these Eldar. =P

Offline arkhos

« Reply #1541 on: August 23, 2015, 01:40:56 AM »

Tell that to these Eldar. =P

Yeah yeah, can't let the Marines lose face of course!  :P  Three-quarters of GW's fanbase would be up in arms over that!

Offline Xanatos

« Reply #1542 on: August 23, 2015, 01:59:16 AM »
Too be fair... I think... the Marines did die rather easily, though. Taking only a sword stab and a single shot at times. It seems their bodies/armor got severely under played. *shrugs* I'm no expert, but the lore does imply they can and should be able to survive far more than single shots or stab wounds and keep on smashing face.

Personally, I find the Space Marines rather boring, though. Its one thing to be badass, but the Space Marines are a blatant ego-boost common in gaming. Its tripe, if you ask me. Superhuman's who can literally crush all in their path... boring and so unrealistic. The Sisters may be fanatical crazies, but at least they win through sheer will, belief, and awesome. Not because they are genetically-engineered-cheese incarnate.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 02:01:50 AM by Xanatos »

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #1543 on: August 23, 2015, 02:12:52 AM »
Too be fair... I think... the Marines did die rather easily, though. Taking only a sword stab and a single shot at times. It seems their bodies/armor got severely under played. *shrugs* I'm no expert, but the lore does imply they can and should be able to survive far more than single shots or stab wounds and keep on smashing face.

Personally, I find the Space Marines rather boring, though. Its one thing to be badass, but the Space Marines are a blatant ego-boost common in gaming. Its tripe, if you ask me. Superhuman's who can literally crush all in their path... boring and so unrealistic. The Sisters may be fanatical crazies, but at least they win through sheer will, belief, and awesome. Not because they are genetically-engineered-cheese incarnate.

Though even that depends heavily on the writer, some are much better at making the Space Marines empathetic than others. Adeptus Astartes are just the 40K version of the otherwise generic 'space marine' stretching back to Starship Troopers and earlier, cranked up to absurd levels like everything else in the setting. Done badly,they are indeed genetically-engineered cheesy tripe who murderize everything in their path without a second glance. Done well, they're people; vastly superior to ordinary humans, but at best average or even inferior to the opponents they're meant to battle on a regular basis.

Offline Xanatos

« Reply #1544 on: August 23, 2015, 02:19:13 AM »
Though even that depends heavily on the writer, some are much better at making the Space Marines empathetic than others. Adeptus Astartes are just the 40K version of the otherwise generic 'space marine' stretching back to Starship Troopers and earlier, cranked up to absurd levels like everything else in the setting. Done badly,they are indeed genetically-engineered cheesy tripe who murderize everything in their path without a second glance. Done well, they're people; vastly superior to ordinary humans, but at best average or even inferior to the opponents they're meant to battle on a regular basis.

Good point. Comics suffer from the 'Writer Syndrome' as well. So yeah, makes perfect sense. Especially when I remember all the remarks made in this thread about a certain someone... Heh. Loathed by all, loved by none.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #1545 on: August 23, 2015, 03:26:21 AM »
Good point. Comics suffer from the 'Writer Syndrome' as well. So yeah, makes perfect sense. Especially when I remember all the remarks made in this thread about a certain someone... Heh. Loathed by all, loved by none.

For all of The Unspeakable One's faults, he made Necrons the most interesting they've ever been fluff-wise, so I maintain ambivalence at best in his regard.

Offline arkhos

« Reply #1546 on: August 23, 2015, 04:26:07 AM »

GW has always been notorious for 'hyping' every figure in every army list. I know they want to sell figs, but... not -everything- can be devastating, terrifying, ass-kicking, name-taking, faster than lightning with unerring accuracy and the toughness of a mountain. There's nothing more fun than to read a 'sales pitch' for some Eldar Guardians, getting them on the table... and then watching them disappear to a stiff wind. :)

If we put fluff against fluff, no one would ever lose! :) I learned long ago that you can't rely on fluff most of the time when it comes to game-mechanics anyway, especially when you're limited to a single d6 mechanic. There's only so much range in there.

Glyphstone touches on the vein of history that I think is relevant: Marines were made to battle Mankind's most dangerous enemies. That doesn't necessarily mean they're 'better' than all of those foes, but they should definitely be mankind's 'best', I think. But I am on the same bus as you, Xanatos - I've always found the Marine literature pretty boring/bland. The ultra-religious gung-ho vibe is just so very 'meh' to me. I know the majority of GW's customers eat it up, though, and I definitely don't mind being in the Xenos Minority!

Xenos - we are 'people' too! :P

-ark

Offline CountessJess

« Reply #1547 on: August 23, 2015, 05:05:29 AM »
Xenos - we are 'people' too! :P

No you're not, you're xeno scum.

Offline ChaoticSky

« Reply #1548 on: August 23, 2015, 07:38:33 AM »
if you find SMs bland, then you just need to read about more interesting chapters.

...like the Space Wolves   ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 07:41:16 AM by ChaoticSky »

Offline CountessJess

« Reply #1549 on: August 23, 2015, 09:58:21 AM »
if you find SMs bland, then you just need to read about more interesting chapters.

...like the Space Wolves   ;D

IMHO Space Wolves suffer from the same issue of normal marines in that they're super powerful and kill every enemy they touch and all. It's just that they dislike authority, which apparently redeems them from all the boring baggage of being le big stronk muhreen.