You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 08:29:07 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: WH40000 - what's your opinion?  (Read 53044 times)

Online arkhos

Re: WH40000 - what's your opinion?
« Reply #1450 on: July 08, 2015, 07:25:10 PM »
As a long-time Eldar player, I have long-awaited the fall of Slaanesh and would cheer loudly if this was transferred over into 40K 8th (whenever that happens).

As a fan of the game/genre/fluff... it's kinda sad, that GW is going to buckle to "PCness" and, after over three decades, decide to 'tone down' the deity that is probably the least popular anyway of the Chaos gods.

And yes, I totally agree with the hypocritical 'bloodandskulls for the blood god' is totally cool, but boobs aren't mindset. But GW wants to be mainstream, because that means more $ in their eyes, I guess.

Offline Celestial_Majestic

« Reply #1451 on: July 11, 2015, 11:10:38 PM »
I know the money is in teenagers and their parent's buying figures for them but if they tone down Slaanesh they have completely lost my business. I play Emperor's Children and am possibly the biggest Fulgrim fangirl you could meet so this is a sad development if true.

I have a few Thousand Sons because I like their specific fluff but Tzeentch just doesn't interest me as much as Slaanesh. I flat out despise that meathead Khorne and Nurgle does nothing for me. Why does everything have to pander to kids these days :/

Offline Thorne

« Reply #1452 on: July 11, 2015, 11:20:58 PM »
I'unno about that. That may be the actual intent, but I don't see all /that/ many teens playing Warhammer at my FLGS - most of the Warhammer players I see (and occasionally have to yell over) are adults.

I'm right there with you with wanting games that don't pander to kids. I freely admit it's one of the reasons I still play here - I have to self-censor a lot less. ^^;

Online HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #1453 on: July 14, 2015, 05:45:41 PM »
So, it seems to be that Slaanesh has been captured, and replaced by The Horned Rat.

Interest in AoS decreasing ...

Offline BeorningTopic starter

« Reply #1454 on: July 14, 2015, 06:01:08 PM »
The Horned Rat is some sort of Skaven deity, right?

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #1455 on: July 14, 2015, 06:38:29 PM »
Specifically, the Skaven deity of disease, pestilence, decay, and treachery (also the only Skaven deity, but that's not relevant).

You will notice this portfolio as being almost identical to Nurgle, with a touch of Tzeentch. No overlap with Slaanesh at all. So this makes even less sense than it could.

Online arkhos

« Reply #1456 on: July 15, 2015, 01:08:43 AM »
Specifically, the Skaven deity of disease, pestilence, decay, and treachery (also the only Skaven deity, but that's not relevant).

You will notice this portfolio as being almost identical to Nurgle, with a touch of Tzeentch. No overlap with Slaanesh at all. So this makes even less sense than it could.

Selfishly, as a Skaven fan, I am thrilled to see the Horned Rat get his due.

As a regular player... this -really- makes no sense, and I really don't like it. Because you're right... there already -is- a Chaos power of decay/pestilence, and pigeonholing the Horned Rat into the pantheon really bugs me... mainly because I've always hated Chaos, but loved my rats. I know of their 'chaotic' origins, etc, but I've always considered them a completely separate society - they paid no homage to the 'big four', and they didn't traffic in daemonology (with the exception of the verminlord, of course! Kill-kill!)

But that's just me. I am waiting to see what their plan is for Slaanesh, but already, I am prepared for a massive face-palm.

-ark

Online HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1457 on: July 15, 2015, 05:10:20 AM »
Each of the 4 Chaos Gods is unique, with fairly clearly defined portofolios. The Horned Rat is 2 parts Nurgle to 1 part Tzeentch. While it may be a power in it's own right, it's not a replacement for Slaanesh. For that matter, the Chaos Gods are jealous of their own power, and probably the only thing prevent Nurgle and Tzeentch from teaming up to layeth the smackdown on the new guy is the fact they hate each other more than they do him.

Maybe this is part of some exciting campaign plot line. If so, I can grudgingly accept that.

If this is just GW trying to pander to the kiddy audience, then no. I started with the Realms of Chaos, that were recommended for mature readers.

I don't play Slaanesh. I'm not particularly interested in Slaanesh. But I will not accept Slaanesh being written out of the lore the same way the Squats were.

« Reply #1458 on: July 15, 2015, 08:43:46 AM »
Maybe some sort of Facebook petition is in order?

(I've heard these things have a lot of power these days)

Online HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1459 on: July 15, 2015, 09:05:55 AM »
I doubt that would have overly much of an effect. The only thing likely to be listened to is money. If the game bombs, and there do seem to be a lot of polarised opinions about it, then it may well get written off, or retconned at some point.

My interest, in all honesty, is fairly minimal anyway. The last time I played fantasy was at least 2 or 3 editions ago, and I've thousands of points of Chaos mortals sitting in boxes since then.

Online arkhos

« Reply #1460 on: July 15, 2015, 01:41:07 PM »
Each of the 4 Chaos Gods is unique, with fairly clearly defined portofolios. The Horned Rat is 2 parts Nurgle to 1 part Tzeentch. While it may be a power in it's own right, it's not a replacement for Slaanesh. For that matter, the Chaos Gods are jealous of their own power, and probably the only thing prevent Nurgle and Tzeentch from teaming up to layeth the smackdown on the new guy is the fact they hate each other more than they do him.

Maybe this is part of some exciting campaign plot line. If so, I can grudgingly accept that.

If this is just GW trying to pander to the kiddy audience, then no. I started with the Realms of Chaos, that were recommended for mature readers.

I don't play Slaanesh. I'm not particularly interested in Slaanesh. But I will not accept Slaanesh being written out of the lore the same way the Squats were.

I agree pretty much line for line. Then again, I really am not really thrilled with -any- of the new fluff so far. It feels so overly generic, as if it was written by a 12 year old.

From what I've seen, the whole Slaanesh disappearance -sounds- like it's a precursor to either his/her/its removal, OR some sort of massive re-design. There are literally countless predictions on various sites, but there has been the confirmed disappearance, and the confirmed ascendancy of the Horned Rat.

Like you, I am hoping that, at the very least, this is part of some sort of 'big campaign'. Without points-costs and whatnot, supposedly the focus is on scenario play, and as such, having some huge amount of campaign-based scenarios focusing on the 'return of Slaanesh' could be good. Time will tell.

And no, even though I dislike Chaos and have from the very beginning, I do -not- want to see any of the big four 'written off' like Squats, Zoats, Fimir, etc. -Especially- if it's for PC reasons, when the game lines GW sells deal with -mass slaughter- of epic proportions on a daily basis.

My interest is pretty high - I've been active with each edition since 3rd, but I am definitely going into it with an open mind. I have enjoyed the handful of games I've played so far, but me and my buds are very reasonable when it comes to force construction, and we create our own objectives, etc. Playing the game straight out the box, as presented, is very... lacking, in our opinion so far. But the coming months will be telling.

Offline RedPhoenix

« Reply #1461 on: July 15, 2015, 01:59:48 PM »
Bring back Zoats!!!

And yeah "generic" is what I was thinking too reading about this. The setting becomes so much less interesting without Slaanesh.

It's also sort of frustrating about American morality that a game about blind obedience to authority, xenophobia, and genocide can become kid friendly by taking the character that acknowledges the existence of sex out of it.

Online HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1462 on: July 16, 2015, 06:19:10 AM »
And on, for me, a much more positive note, new plastic Horus Heresy rumours. They're now saying November, which is longer than I'd like to wait for them, but these interest me far more than AoS ever could.

Online HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1463 on: July 27, 2015, 06:27:58 AM »
Images of some of the rumoured Horus Heresy plastics have been showing up online in the last day or so

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?412055-Heresy-plastics

This seems to be the source.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #1464 on: July 28, 2015, 12:23:07 PM »
Who here paints?

Offline Thorne

« Reply #1465 on: July 28, 2015, 12:24:04 PM »
Not Warhammer, but I paint. And painting advice is largely mini-agnostic, so ... ^^

« Reply #1466 on: July 28, 2015, 12:55:24 PM »
I paint. At least, I try to. With bad results :D

Online HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1467 on: July 28, 2015, 01:31:51 PM »
I paint to tabletop standard.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #1468 on: July 28, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »
Tabletop standard is such a hard category to define. Everything I paint is intended to show up on a tabletop, so I think it qualifies. In a broader sense, tabletop standard seems to mean "not the best I can do, but something I'm pleased with". If that's the case, then I try to expand the range of what I consider my tabletop standard each time. One of the YT painting channels I subscribe to recently had a piece on a saying, the price of perfection is prohibitive, and the art school advice that if you ever believe a piece is perfect, you've probably just resolved to move on. I came into miniature painting from a lifelong art education, so this was something already drilled into my head. It's more important to keep practicing and evolving than to chase perfection.

What does a tabletop standard involve for you?

Offline Thorne

« Reply #1469 on: July 28, 2015, 04:57:03 PM »
For me, it means I covered the mini and the shading is decent. If I'm feeling fancy, it means I applied inks and got a little crazy with the shading and the eyes and all.
By no means do I paint to competition standards. I'm happy enough to have them look better than the pre-painted minis.

Online HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1470 on: July 28, 2015, 06:19:25 PM »
Something that I'm happy to set down on the table for a game with. I know my stuff isn't going to win any painting prizes, but for me painting is something I have to do to get a model to a playable state, rather than something I want to do, and want to spend a lot of time doing. I love converting, but painting is a chore :)

« Reply #1471 on: July 29, 2015, 09:18:19 AM »
For me, it means I covered the mini and the shading is decent. If I'm feeling fancy, it means I applied inks and got a little crazy with the shading and the eyes and all.
By no means do I paint to competition standards.

Heh. I have yet to get to the "shading" phase :) If "tabletop standard" means "shading", then I'm not at the tabletop standard. So, I shudder to think what "competition standard" is :)))

Anyway... Dhi, feel free to post some photos of your stuff here :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:32:04 AM by Beorning »

Offline Thorne

« Reply #1472 on: July 29, 2015, 01:09:09 PM »
That's /my/ standard, Beorning. Your standard can be 'I covered the whole thing and I like it!' and no one is going to have a problem with that. ^^

Competition standards is just... they not only go for shading and highlights and lining and insane tiny details, but they actually /finish the bases/. Sometimes really elaborately. My mind just boggles. I'm not doing that. I just want to play with them, and you can't play with that, those are display pieces only.

« Reply #1473 on: July 29, 2015, 01:36:08 PM »
That's /my/ standard, Beorning. Your standard can be 'I covered the whole thing and I like it!' and no one is going to have a problem with that. ^^

Well, I do happen to like how my minis look... ;)

(or do I? I seem to have lost inspiration for painting since my sister called the minis "idiotic". Hm...)

Competition standards is just... they not only go for shading and highlights and lining and insane tiny details, but they actually /finish the bases/. Sometimes really elaborately. My mind just boggles. I'm not doing that. I just want to play with them, and you can't play with that, those are display pieces only.

What do you mean by "finishing the bases"? My bases are finished, meaning they are painted :)

Offline Thorne

« Reply #1474 on: July 29, 2015, 02:21:46 PM »
Hm. Finished bases run the spectrum, but here's one from Reaper (I happened to have the forum open, it saved me a lot of googling): http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/warlord/latest/14673
whoever painted that flocked the base and added 'grass' and some other bits, so it looks like the archer's standing on a chunk of actual ground.

I don't go that far. If I have something that isn't stable, I'll stick it on a base, so it doesn't fall over every time someone looks at it funny, but I don't generally go to the trouble of making the base all fancy. If it's textured, I'll bring that up, but if not? Flat black, and that's good enough for anybody.

... and your sister can whistle. She doesn't have to like it, or approve of it. It's /your/ hobby. You don't have to be good at it, as long as you enjoy it.