You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 10, 2016, 03:08:16 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: WH40000 - what's your opinion?  (Read 53566 times)

Offline BeorningTopic starter

Re: WH40000 - what's your opinion?
« Reply #1400 on: June 25, 2015, 05:42:34 PM »
I bought some cheap cosmetic tweezers today... We'll see if they work.

I also got a bunch of new paints that I plan to use on my Dark Eldar. I'm curious what they'll turn out like. Buying paints online is hard...

« Reply #1401 on: June 28, 2015, 02:19:59 PM »
So, I've had a row with my family today... and, aside from some other things, my sister told me that my WH40K minis are idiotic and I shouldn't be spending money on them...  :'(

Offline RedPhoenix

« Reply #1402 on: June 28, 2015, 02:39:47 PM »
So, I've had a row with my family today... and, aside from some other things, my sister told me that my WH40K minis are idiotic and I shouldn't be spending money on them...  :'(

This could be said about pretty much anything that anyone actually likes.

Offline CountessJess

« Reply #1403 on: June 28, 2015, 09:39:53 PM »

Tell them that family is merely a social construct brought on by thousands of years of cultural norms and that they're stupid for keeping this slavish, blind devotion to an anachronistic concept that they hold an emotional, but not logical connection to. 40k minis, however, are a rational exchange of earned liquidity for long term entertainment; obtaining tangible goods that nudge you along the pursuit of happiness. Anything can be called idiotic if you don't understand the attraction.

Offline Lustful Bride

• "Logic is for Squares."
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1404 on: June 28, 2015, 10:59:13 PM »

There are many worse and way dumber things to spend yoru money on. Tehre are people out there who spend most of their money on lottery tickets :P

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #1405 on: June 29, 2015, 12:05:17 AM »
There are many worse and way dumber things to spend yoru money on. Tehre are people out there who spend most of their money on lottery tickets :P

Or drugs.  At least lottery tickets have a miniscule chance of paying you back.

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #1406 on: June 29, 2015, 05:18:36 PM »
Tell them that family is merely a social construct brought on by thousands of years of cultural norms and that they're stupid for keeping this slavish, blind devotion to an anachronistic concept that they hold an emotional, but not logical connection to. 40k minis, however, are a rational exchange of earned liquidity for long term entertainment; obtaining tangible goods that nudge you along the pursuit of happiness. Anything can be called idiotic if you don't understand the attraction.

Also that the God-Emperor/Chaos Gods* will smite them (*delete as appropriate)  ;D

« Reply #1407 on: June 29, 2015, 07:48:37 PM »
I know I shouldn't pay attention to this kind of talk... still, somehow, it is disheartening. It's weird to do something and know that your loved ones think it's stupid...

Offline HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1408 on: June 30, 2015, 07:31:51 PM »
Two things to consider .. I suspect that most wargamers older than their teens have heard some variation of that comment over the years.

Second, when you're having an arguement with someone, it's not really surprising if they say something with the intent of making you feel bad.

Some people may think it's a stupid hobby. They're entitled to their opinion. Doesn't mean those of us who enjoy it have to care what they think :)

Offline Thorne

« Reply #1409 on: June 30, 2015, 09:23:10 PM »
Hairy's completely correct.

War gamers. RPG gamers. Comic-book enthusiasts. Doll collectors. Car collectors. People who show dogs/horses/geese.
Really, anyone who collects things or has any kind of expensive hobby (or even a cheap hobby!) has probably heard that comment, or a variant on it at some point in their life and the right answer, if you don't just shrug and smile, is, 'It's my money. I happen to like *item*. 'Nuff said.'

I collect dragons (of all kinds; statues, plushies, beanies, kites), resin dolls and I have a plethora of other hobbies and interests. I don't have to justify /any/ of it to anybody.
Neither do you. It's your money and time. You spend it the way you want to.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #1410 on: June 30, 2015, 09:31:35 PM »
Hairy's completely correct.

War gamers. RPG gamers. Comic-book enthusiasts. Doll collectors. Car collectors. People who show dogs/horses/geese.
Really, anyone who collects things or has any kind of expensive hobby (or even a cheap hobby!) has probably heard that comment, or a variant on it at some point in their life and the right answer, if you don't just shrug and smile, is, 'It's my money. I happen to like *item*. 'Nuff said.'

'Don't you have yarn at home?'

'Not enough.'

« Reply #1411 on: July 01, 2015, 12:01:49 PM »
Ha! Thanks, guys :)

Okay, a question related to the setting: how do the Eldar communicate with humans? Is there such a thing like, say, "Eldar universal translator", or is the human-Eldar communication harder than that?

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #1412 on: July 01, 2015, 12:41:40 PM »
Typically they just demean themselves to speak Gothic.

« Reply #1413 on: July 01, 2015, 12:54:28 PM »
Do they know it?

See, I *did* find a partner for that Wych x Inquisitor pairing and we're now working out how to make our characters able to communicate...

Offline HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1414 on: July 01, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »
A few humans are able to speak some form of the Eldar language, such as Ordo Xenos Inquisitors and Rogue Traders. I seem to recall there being mention of a trade dialect in one book.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #1415 on: July 01, 2015, 02:37:08 PM »
Do they know it?

See, I *did* find a partner for that Wych x Inquisitor pairing and we're now working out how to make our characters able to communicate...

It's just another language. They can learn to speak it, though they obviously have an accent. And humans can learn to speak certain forms of Eldar, though it's apparently much more difficult than the other way round.

« Reply #1416 on: July 01, 2015, 02:39:41 PM »
Thanks!

I think I'll go with my character simply having learned basic Gothic while being around the human slaves of the Wych Cult she belongs to. It should work for this particular story...

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #1417 on: July 01, 2015, 02:55:46 PM »
It's a logical choice. You won't waste your precious time teaching short-lived human slaves proper Eldar. More efficient in the long run to sully your own tongue with Low Gothic.

« Reply #1418 on: July 01, 2015, 03:06:45 PM »
Ah! See, I like that thinking :)

Offline Wajin

« Reply #1419 on: July 02, 2015, 06:23:31 AM »
It's also important to add when talking about the Eldar Language, that gestures and posture is just as important as the words themselves, as words in the Eldar language can literally have a thousand meanings, depending on how one moves or how one looks when saying the word, it's also why Eldar see Gothic and High Gothic as blunt and uncivilized. Two eldar could be standing by a bar, merely moving a bit or gesturing in the air to one another without a word escaping their lips, and they would both comprehend what the other was saying. I can't remember what book it is, but I seem to remember one describing an Eldar speaking Gothic at the speed the eldar speak the Eldar Lexicon as their language is called by the Imperium, and none of humans was able to comprehend what said eldar said as it was too fast and filled with metaphores (Eldars like obscure metaphores)

« Reply #1420 on: July 02, 2015, 08:10:14 AM »
Interesting. I didn't know that... Thanks :)

Offline HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1421 on: July 02, 2015, 10:19:38 AM »
If you can get hold of them, read the trilogy of eldar novels, Path of the Warrior / Seer / Outcast. You'll get a good understanding of how nuanced Eldar communication is from those. There's also a trilogy of Dark Eldar novels which would give you a look at Dark Eldar society in general.

« Reply #1422 on: July 02, 2015, 11:57:19 AM »
You refer to the Path of the Renegade / Succubus / Archon books by Andy Chambers, right? Are they good?

Offline HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1423 on: July 02, 2015, 03:19:55 PM »
Yeah, they're not bad.

« Reply #1424 on: July 04, 2015, 12:16:19 PM »
I might look into them, then, when I have more money :)

Personal vent for today: aargh! I still can't find a good colour scheme for the Wyches. I came up with one, bought the paints, tried it out... it turned out it doesn't look so good. So, I came up with another idea, bought some more paints... today, I tried the new paints out and they don't look good, either. There's one more paint I could try buying, but it'd mean losing another few days and even more money... and I've already spent too much. Damn.