You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 04:27:56 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: WH40000 - what's your opinion?  (Read 53191 times)

Offline BeorningTopic starter

Re: WH40000 - what's your opinion?
« Reply #1250 on: May 27, 2015, 02:13:57 PM »
Thanks, guys. Anybody else willing to chime in on these technical matters?

I admit that one of the things I have trouble with when it comes to this setting is picturing the technology available. I tend to imagine this world as techno-medieval, with uneducated people living among sparse and decaying machines... but then, some of you say that these people have computers, cameras etc. On the other hand, some illustrations also show people reading by candles etc. So, I really don't know what this world is like...  :-\

I really wish there was some comprehensive list of what technologies are available, which are banned and which are lost or exist only as archaeotech...

That's great to hear =)

I did some more painting today. Two more pieces finished! Now I only have to do the flames on one of the flamers and paint the piece with pilot. Then, assembly!

... which may be tricky and involve a lot of drilling...

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #1251 on: May 27, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »
Remember what we said earlier in the thread about there being no 'average' in a society this big? That applies to technology too. There are advanced, high-tech worlds with sci-fi technology available everywhere. There are more mundane worlds that pretty much match our current tech but with spaceships and stuff. There are tight-packed hive worlds that would fit perfectly into a cyberpunk environment. There are entire planets devoted purely to farming and animal husbandry, where the peasants spend their entire lives as farmers. There are strict religious shrine worlds were technology is restricted and people read by candle-light. There are primitive, savage feral worlds where the inhabitants are pre-industrial or outright cavemen in fearful worship of the sky gods.

Pick any level of technology along the spectrum, and you will have a planet where that is appropriate.

Offline deadmanshand

« Reply #1252 on: May 27, 2015, 02:20:56 PM »
The tech varies from world to world. Some worlds are higher than anything that we have today across the board. Some worlds are locked in medieval times riding horses and reading by candlelight. Others have scrapheap scavenged tech in the ruins of the apocalypse that blasted their world. And anything and everything in between. There are millions of worlds and there is no standard tech level. Decide what kind of tech you want available and make a world that would have that.

What Glyphstone ninja'd posted while I was typng.

« Reply #1253 on: May 27, 2015, 02:35:14 PM »
Hm. But how to square this "the tech level is whatever you want" approach with the setting's assumption that most of the people across the empire don't know too much about science and technology, as these things are controlled by Mechanicus? Also, in the WH40K RPGs, quite a lot of gear is described as being scarce or even more rare. So, what I get from this is that there are no worlds so advanced that you can buy a bolter there on every street corner...

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #1254 on: May 27, 2015, 02:40:01 PM »
Science and Technology do not have to go hand in hand. The average person on an Imperial civilized world can afford to buy a dataslate with their daily wage at whatever job they work at. They have no idea how it works, or even how to fix it when it breaks, though they might know the daily ritual prayer to keep its machine spirit cooperative. All they know is what buttons to push to make it do the functions they need.

As for the RPG gear lists...remember that almost everything on those lists is military-grade or otherwise something the common person isn't going to even have a hope of finding, let alone buying. You don't buy bolters on the street corner even if you're on a forge world where they are mass-manufactured, because stuff like that simply isn't permitted to be sold to the average citizen. You buy them from black marketeers or crooked factory workers, or use your connections to requisition them through the authorities who make it as a special order.

« Reply #1255 on: May 27, 2015, 02:53:18 PM »
Good point about the weapons.

But as you mentioned forge worlds... they are one of the reasons I feel confused. If all technology in the Imperium is controlled by Mechanicus and manufactured on forge worlds, then how is it possible for such technological diversity to exist among the empire? If there's one central authority that manufactures things, shouldn't the various worlds be of similar tech level?

I mean, if there was a planet where people had hovercars... and then, that planet got assimilated into the Imperium... then, shouldn't this planet's hovercar know-how be added to the general knowledge of Mechanicus? And, if so, why aren't there hovercars on every planet?

Also, there's this issue of archaeotech and banned technology. They are mentioned in the books, so I gather that some technology has been lost after the Dark Age of Technology. And that there are some technologies that aren't allowed to spread...

Offline deadmanshand

« Reply #1256 on: May 27, 2015, 03:02:41 PM »
The Mechanicus does not believe in innovation. If they find new tech they squirrel it away in the vaults of Mars. And even if they did just assimilate new technology could they possibly make enough to supply millions of worlds with all the same technology? Could they spend the time it would take to teach every feudal or primitive world how to use the technology?

The Imperium is simply too big - too unwieldy - to create that kind of balance while waging endless wars at the same time.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #1257 on: May 27, 2015, 03:04:57 PM »

And the simple logistics aside, let's say the Mechanicus has repulsor technology/civilian hover-cars. That is rare, and valuable technology, and they control this theoretical planet where it is easily available. What motivation to they have to make this freely available to anyone else, when instead it could be used as an extremely valuable bargaining chip with planets or groups they don't have such tight control over?

Also, forge worlds aren't the only place stuff is manufactured. They are places where only things are manufactured - it's a Factory World, devoted entirely to production the way an Agri-World is devoted entirely to foodstuffs. A Civilized World would have factories here and there to produce, say, data-slates or ground cars, things common and ubiquitous enough that it's not worth the time or energy for the AdMech to maintain their monopoly on production. They're still the only people who know how to fix or repair said things when they break, after all.

Offline Wajin

« Reply #1258 on: May 27, 2015, 04:00:36 PM »
A great example also of the Mechanicus loosing their collective shit over someone keeping technology, or possible knowledge of the workings and fabrication of said technoloigy, from them would be the Dark Angels who literally hold the LAST FUNCTIONING FUCKING JETBIKE IN THE IMPERIUM. And because the Dark Angels are 1. Astartes and 2. Secretive as fuck, the Mechanicus can do fuck all to get this technology from them, even though it's been stated repeatedly that they want the thing. The hilarious thing about all of this, is that the Dark Angels might very well have in their hands the STC for Jetbikes, as the Jetbike mentioned has been practically reduced to dust hundreds if not thousands of times, yet during the next campaign that the Ravenwing participate in Corvex as it's called is there once again.

IF the Dark Angels have this STC it would be one HELL of a bargaining chip if they ever need ANY favour from the Mechanicus.

Also Skyweavers are cool as fuck :P

« Reply #1259 on: May 28, 2015, 08:35:33 AM »
Hmm. Okay then, so there are worlds with typical advanced, sci-fi tech...

But, if I understand correctly, even on such worlds people should be of the slightly backwards mindset? And they should be treating their technology with some degree of wonder or fear? After all, they wouldn't be understanding how this technology works...

BTW. Anyone interested in helping me to plot my DH adventure? I have a general idea, but I keep thinking on it and can't iron out the plot details...

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1260 on: May 29, 2015, 07:33:51 PM »
Pretty much. The Adeptus Mechanus basically says worship machines. Though it's more a case of Clarke's Third Law.

Plenty of human tech actually has A.I (the machine spirit) but AI is strictly forbidden in the robot sense because of the Iron Men thing that happened before the Omnissiah (Emperor of Mankind) revealed himself.

« Reply #1261 on: May 30, 2015, 12:52:09 PM »
Thank you for your input, as always :)

In other news: I made some big progress on the penitent engine. I finished painting and I'm gradually assembling it together. I did pinning on some of the joints, I hope that it'll help the model to stay in one piece...

Working on this piece made me realize that I really, really like this hobby! So, I decided to keep collecting... also, I decided that I want to have the Dark Eldar, too. So, I purchased the DE codex today! Yay, my first codex :) I mean, yes, I do have the Sororitas codex, but it's just an ebook - the DE codex is the first "real" codex for me.

Can't wait to learn everything about the Wyches, Hellions and other Kaballaks :)

On another note - how about this for a Chaos Space Marine song?

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #1262 on: May 30, 2015, 01:08:37 PM »
You'd have a hard time yanking that away from the Highlander associations.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27xu0_high-quality-opening-credits-of-hig_music

« Reply #1263 on: May 30, 2015, 01:19:56 PM »
Hey, I know! But we need to think outside the box :)

I'm getting tired that Chaos videos on Youtube are always dark and all. If I knew how to do such stuff (and how to proceed correctly copyright-wise), I'd make a CSM video using this song...

Hm. Now I wonder which upbeat song could fit the Dark Eldar. :) All DE tributes on Youtube are sooooo creepy and scary, full of deathmetal music and so on...

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1264 on: May 30, 2015, 01:23:46 PM »
The first song that comes to mind when I pair 'upbeat song' with 'pointy-eared bastards' is Dance Magic.  Probably not helpful.  ;D

« Reply #1265 on: May 30, 2015, 01:37:32 PM »
The Bowie song from Labirynth? :)

Offline deadmanshand

« Reply #1266 on: May 30, 2015, 02:06:33 PM »
Rihana - S&M for the S&M Space Elves. Anything else is too dignified.

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1267 on: May 30, 2015, 03:35:32 PM »
The Bowie song from Labirynth? :)

Yup.  Tell me that a Goblin King isn't a pointy-eared bastard.  Even if Bowie didn't wear ear-tips.

« Reply #1268 on: May 30, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »
Oh, he is :) Although he seems more akin to the fae than the elves, I think?

Anyway! Here's a serious DE video I found on Youtube, a rare one that isn't excessively terrifying:

« Reply #1269 on: May 30, 2015, 06:28:21 PM »
Okay, I read the Dark Eldar codex... the fluff part, at least.

... oh crap, these guys are EVIL. I'd risk saying that they are the most wicked faction in the setting. The Chaos worshippers have nothing on them...

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1270 on: May 30, 2015, 06:43:01 PM »
Oh, he is :) Although he seems more akin to the fae than the elves, I think?

True.  And I wasn't thinking that it would make a particularly good DE song - just that it was the only thing that came to mind with that combo.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #1271 on: May 30, 2015, 06:59:59 PM »
Okay, I read the Dark Eldar codex... the fluff part, at least.

... oh crap, these guys are EVIL. I'd risk saying that they are the most wicked faction in the setting. The Chaos worshippers have nothing on them...

Ooooooh yeah. The Dark Eldar are some seriously twisted SOBs.

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1272 on: May 30, 2015, 07:07:39 PM »
Here's a litmus test for how evil your race is in 40K

Have you created a Chaos God?

No? You're just one hundred times worse than the average Nazi. Three Kilonazis at worst.

Yes? You're the goddamned Dark Eldar. :P

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #1273 on: May 30, 2015, 07:14:19 PM »
Strictly speaking, the Dark Eldar only get half of that blame - it was the entire pre-fall Eldar race who birthed a Chaos God. The Dark Eldar just decided/were forced to keep doing that kind of stuff, but worse, afterwards...it's a bit of the whole thing I've always been a bit fuzzy on, actually. Somehow, being evil twisted sadistic monsters keeps them immortal, and thus preserves their souls from being eaten by Slaanesh. If they stop being twisted monsters, they die and get devoured.

« Reply #1274 on: May 30, 2015, 07:19:35 PM »
The codex says that the souls of the DE are being gradually sucked out by Slaanesh, so they have to rejuvanate them with other beings' pain. I wonder if not-Dark Eldar have the same problem with their souls being sucked?

Anyway... I'll need to come up with some way of making my particular group of DEs sympathetic somehow, if I am to play them. Hmmmm.

BTW. How about a romantic pairing of Deathwatch Space Marine and a female Wych captured during a raid? ;)