You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 07:05:06 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: WH40000 - what's your opinion?  (Read 53165 times)

Offline BeorningTopic starter

Re: WH40000 - what's your opinion?
« Reply #1175 on: May 07, 2015, 03:35:51 PM »
I think it's the general lack of focus on any matter sexual or romantic in 40K that generally dooms them.

It's a possibility, yes... But there are a few of us here that are actually interested in non-erotic WH40K games. And we are, I think, relatively consistent players. So, I think that we might get together and make it work...

*chuckles* So are a lot of the stories I write on here. Part of the enjoyment of roleplaying is being something you're not.

Ah, but see: it's not about the characters being RPed, it's about the ethical foundations of the whole setting. I can stomach playing dark characters... but the thing is, it's the *setting* that's dark and poorly compatible with my moral convictions. It's not just that the Acolytes go around shooting people for being different... it's that the whole idea behind the setting is that they are *right* to do so.

Another problem I'm having: the setting is so dark that it's a bit hard for to see why heresy, Chaos etc. should be considered evil and dangerous. Yes, worshipping Chaos gods makes people insane, mutated and, overall, miserable. But... the lives of most of the people in this setting already *are* miserable. The Acolytes save humans from being killed or mutated by Chaos... only for these people to be killed or exploited in the name of Imperium instead. So... what's the point?

In other words: the Acolytes are supposed to be the bulwark between the darkness and the Imperial society. But the Imperial society is *awful*. So... it's a bit hard for me to root for the Acolytes...

Should perhaps include more Orks in any given campaign as a comic relief? Think they're perhaps the only race that are actually happy, genuinely so, with the state of affairs as is in the WH40k universe, them and Tyranids that eagerly munch away at the Imperium.

Meh. Personally speaking, Orks are funny, but they feel way too cartoony for me to include in a DH game...

Online HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #1176 on: May 09, 2015, 06:29:45 AM »
The setting is one of extremes, though it does vary somewhat depending on the authors writing. See if you can get hold of Dan Abnetts Inquisiton books, the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies. They might give you a good perspective both on Imperial life in general, and the Inquisition.

Online Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1177 on: May 09, 2015, 03:29:36 PM »
Are there any books that detail the eras before The 41st Century? Like around the height of mankind, the Iron Men period? I know there's a whole Horus Heresy series that handles the Rise of the Emperor and all that, but I wonder how far back anyone actually bothered to go.

Online HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1178 on: May 09, 2015, 08:46:30 PM »
I can't think of anything that goes further back than the Horus Heresy.

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #1179 on: May 09, 2015, 08:55:57 PM »
The Dark Age of Technology and pretty much everything before the Pre-heresy era has never been fully detailed, only vaguely described and hinted at.

Online Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1180 on: May 10, 2015, 06:06:32 PM »
Oh well, that's kind of what I enjoy the most is the timelines, what happens. I've read the 40K Wiki's timeline, which tries its best to compile the events.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #1181 on: May 11, 2015, 08:14:15 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, someone has achieved WH40K cosplay here:

Online HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1182 on: May 11, 2015, 08:21:45 AM »
Yep. Khornate Berserker, Adepta Sororita, probably a smurf, though I can't see his chapter insignia, a member of the Adeptus Mechanicus and a Night Lord. There are quite a few 40k cosplayers from what I've seen online, and some of them are absolutely incredible pieces of work.

« Reply #1183 on: May 11, 2015, 08:57:22 AM »
Very cool costumes! But I wish the Sororitas cosplayers dropped that idea that every Sister has to have white hair...

BTW. Is it me, or is the blue guy very tall?

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1184 on: May 11, 2015, 09:05:26 AM »
I'm wagering a form of stilts built into the costume, with the extra-large base on the shoes for stability.  His(?) real legs probably come down to the knee, and he probably doesn't do a whole lot of walking around in the costume.

Online Inkidu

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1185 on: May 11, 2015, 10:04:13 AM »
Yeah I imagine the boots are packed seeing as Space Marines are seven-foot-tall uber-men with a solid bone-plate ribcage.

Seriously the Space Marining process is gross. :P

(Also, I'd have gone with the more interesting thunder hammer or chainsword, the power sword is more classical, but eh)

Plus no bolt pistol? Heresy!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 10:06:04 AM by Inkidu »

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #1186 on: May 11, 2015, 10:04:47 AM »
Very cool costumes! But I wish the Sororitas cosplayers dropped that idea that every Sister has to have white hair...

BTW. Is it me, or is the blue guy very tall?

Says the man whose avatar has a big white streak down the middle. ;D

« Reply #1187 on: May 11, 2015, 10:12:53 AM »

Ah, but it's just a white streak... Also, my avatar is no Sororita :)

Aaaand, if anybody remembers my AS minis, none of them has white hair :P

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1188 on: May 11, 2015, 10:38:07 AM »

Honestly, I always thought his avi was Rogue from the X-Men.  Never struck me as WH40K related.

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #1189 on: May 11, 2015, 10:41:26 AM »
It probably is, I just saw the comment as amusing.

« Reply #1190 on: May 11, 2015, 11:10:49 AM »
Actually, my avi is Velvet Templeton from Brubaker and Epting's Velvet :)

« Reply #1191 on: May 19, 2015, 07:19:20 AM »
WH40K-related comment found on the Internet:

I showed an ex-girlfriend some Sisters Of Battle pics once, her comment?

"They look like the sort of girls who used to deliberately hit me in the shins during hockey"

Hmmm...

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1192 on: May 19, 2015, 07:37:34 AM »
I'd say that's accurate.  ;D

« Reply #1193 on: May 19, 2015, 08:12:01 AM »
Really?

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1194 on: May 19, 2015, 08:16:21 AM »
Consider the WH40K universe.  Deliberately incapacitating an opponent would actually be letting them off easy.

« Reply #1195 on: May 19, 2015, 08:29:34 AM »
Well, that's true, but I'm not sure if that means that they *look* like aggressive female hockey players...

(not that I'd know - I've never met a female hockey player)

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1196 on: May 19, 2015, 09:30:41 AM »
My oldest sister used to play field hockey.  About the only differences between field hockey (which is traditionally a women's sport) and ice hockey (traditionally male) is that you're whacking a ball over grass instead of a puck over ice, you don't wear skates (although cleats are a close substitute), and you're in shorts or a skirt.  The rough-and-tumble of it is very similar, so if you've seen aggressive ice hockey players, you're not far off.

« Reply #1197 on: May 19, 2015, 12:58:20 PM »
Back at highschool, during our physical education classes, we played corridor hockey. In a quite small corridor. With a puck. With no protective gear whatsoever...

When I think about it now, I'm kind of shaken... Our PE teacher wasn't the most responsible guy, it seems.

Not that I'm surprised, he put me into a chest one day as a punishment...  ::)

Anyway!

I finally finished reading Dark Heresy rulebook today. I'm considering trying it out with one player of mine... but I have this question for you guys: how would you motivate the player to fight heresy?

My player has never been exposed to WH40K universe before. So, how do I make him care about the Imperium? How do I convince him that hunting heresy is supposed to be good?

Offline deadmanshand

« Reply #1198 on: May 19, 2015, 01:06:50 PM »
The same way you motivate any player to fight evil. Make it evil. Show him average citizens being twisted and destroyed by something beyond their ken. Remember that the average citizen of the Imperium leads a perfectly ordinary life. They don't see demons or space marines. Most of them will never see someone executed for heresy. Show that heresy leads to suffering. If it's tech heresy show him science out of control. If it's religious heresy show cults that use and abuse it's members. If it's chaos heresy show them the literal corruption and unutterable evil of the daemon. If it's xeno heresy show them the alien uncaring or actively malevolent nature of the inhuman.

That's what hunting heresy is about. The Imperium may not be the best but they are the good guys of the setting for a reason. Unless you count the Tau but seriously fuck the Tau.

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1199 on: May 19, 2015, 01:17:11 PM »
Heh.  When I was a kid, we drank from garden hoses and were allowed to run around the neighborhood unsupervised 'until the streetlights came on'.  If you sat in the back seat, you usually didn't have more than a lap-belt, and the height of fun was sitting in the cargo area of the station wagon unrestrained and getting Dad (or more often, an older sibling with a license) to 'gun it' over the top of the hill.  It's amazing any of us survived.  ::)

*coughs*

As far as getting the player to care:  It's all propaganda.  The character in the WH40K universe is told that heresy is Bad the same way that knights and wizards in D&D are told that dragons are Bad.  After all, heretics (dragons) want to destroy all that the character holds dear - home and family.  And 90+% of the time, this matches up with reality.  The player may know that not all heretics (dragons) are Bad, and in fact some are actually Good, but they should try to keep that knowledge separate from what their character knows, the same way that D&D characters don't know about cell phones and Facebook.