You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 03, 2016, 12:02:42 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Most recommended FPS games?  (Read 927 times)

Offline Sel Nar

Re: Most recommended FPS games?
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2014, 09:47:31 PM »
Off the top of my head, Blake Stone, Heretic, Hexen, Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem 3D... There's been a metric Fuckton of 'Doom Clones'

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2014, 09:57:22 PM »
It, and its immediate predecessor Wolfenstein 3D, founded the FPS genre after all. And Doom was, in a way, a Wolfenstein clone.

Doom, Quake, Half-Life, and Halo, in chronological order, are the four games I'd give the most credit to for creating what we know as the FPS genre. A lot of other games innovated on their respective formulae, but for the most part, minus a few oddballs, were/are "______ clone with Twist X". Medal of Honor gets honorary credit not for gameplay elements, but for setting off the endless run of WW2-themed shooters.

Offline Drake Valentine

• Architect of Worlds
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • Making Your Darkest of Fantasies a Reality
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2014, 01:53:59 AM »
Thats it. Quake reminded me of Doom.

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2014, 02:12:20 AM »
Thats it. Quake reminded me of Doom.

Quake was itself a Doom clone, but with the use of 3D polygons instead of pre-rendered sprites, and it introduced multiplayer modes other than straight-up deathmatch. It was also the first game to feature rocket-jumping.

Offline Drake Valentine

• Architect of Worlds
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • Making Your Darkest of Fantasies a Reality
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2014, 07:38:44 AM »
Quake was itself a Doom clone, but with the use of 3D polygons instead of pre-rendered sprites, and it introduced multiplayer modes other than straight-up deathmatch. It was also the first game to feature rocket-jumping.

Not saying it was a bad game, actually like Quake(if it was one I am thinking of.)  I dunno, one of them had some sort of flying demon like creatures that shot fireballs at you(I believe.) And one of the final levels was hard as fuck. >_< Not sure if it was Quake, Doom, or some other FPSer. Only things I remember were flying demon critters, a chainsaw(maybe), and some demon dogs and weird monsters. Think the final level had shit ton of enemies and lava, plus I think you had to go to one end of the game pretty much to a box thing to end the level(if any of that makes sense.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 07:40:11 AM by Drake Valentine »

Offline Formless

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2014, 08:01:26 AM »
The only game I can think of that looks like the original doom on PC was ' Blood'.

That face grabber was a menace.