You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 02, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Urban Fantasy Novels  (Read 1127 times)

Online BAMF

Re: Urban Fantasy Novels
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 04:11:26 AM »
Simon R Green's "Secret Histories" books are fairly decent, but I've always much preferred his Nightside books.  Gritty but good reads.  Not heavy books, but quite entertaining.

I've not read Secret Histories, but the Nightside series was my first urban fantasy set. And dang, did I enjoy the shit out of them. I only wish I had more money for books or I'd be reading more.

Offline Jarulf

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 07:16:40 AM »
I liked The Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch

Offline Elysian Radiance

• The Dragon's Little Brat Princess ❇ President of the Elliquiy Nap Society ❇ Hoarder of Blankets ❇ The Light of Dawn ❇ Josi's Bestie Babe ❇ Arcannyx's E-Wifey
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • Ely Lightbringer, the Dragon Queen of Elliquiy™
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 12:11:15 AM »
Try the clan novels for Vampire the Masquerade. There are 13 in total, by various authors, plus four more.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/41268-vampire-the-masquerade-clan-novels

Offline SabbyTopic starter

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2014, 06:42:02 AM »
Remember guys, this isn't just a request thread. I appreciate all of the suggestions :) but this is also a discussion thread for the genre in general, so feel free to talk amongst yourselves about it.

Offline SabbyTopic starter

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 09:39:32 AM »
So, reviving this thread because I found something really great I thought you'd all like. I've noticed that a lot of urban fantasy has 'strong female protagonists'. I say that in air quotes because most of the time they're horrible. Just whiny, sanctimonious, headstrong assholes. I've gotten to the point where I just don't pick up new UF books any more if they have a woman on the cover, because most of the time I'm in for brooding, treating friends and allies like crap, and still having them tear their own arm off to come to her rescue (and get chewed out for it)

Then I found World of the Lupi. This is honestly one of the best UF series I've ever read, and the characters are all thinking, logical people, without being emotionally dead sociopaths. It's 11 books long and all of them have been adapted by Graphic Audio, who do the best audiobooks I've ever heard.

How much I gotta shill myself for GA to get you guys to go buy it?