Why is a raven like a writing-desk?

Started by Spookie Monster, September 15, 2008, 05:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

"Sssss" said Gollum, and became quite polite.  "Praps ye sits here and chats with it a bitsy, my preciousss.  It like riddles, praps it does, does, it?"  He was anxious to appear friendly, at any rate for the moment, and until he found out more about the sword and the hobbit, whether he was quite alone really, whether he was good to eat, and whether Gollum was really hungry.  Riddles were all he could think of.  Asking them, and sometimes guessing them, had been the only game he had ever played with other funny creatures sitting in their holes in the long, long ago, before he lost all his friends and was driven away, alone, and crept down, down, into the dark under the mountains.

Given the long, proud history of game masters incorporating riddles into their games, I find it a bit odd that we don't have a thread here at Elliquiy devoted to riddling.  Do you like riddles?  Are you good at figuring out riddles?  Have you ever incorporated riddling into your gaming sessions?  What are some of your favorite riddles?  Can you stump us with a particular riddle?

Spel

Also I like the Riddler, but I digress.
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Sherona

My favorites are rather simplistic.

"In the morning I crawl, in the afternoon I stand and walk on two legs, but in the evenings I am back to three..what am I?"

"Human's spend their lives trying to capture me, often breaking me. When I am broken I still work, when you can touch me then my work is done..what am I?"

Both are very simple, and only took me a few moments of pondering back in high school to figure out. But both answers kind of speak to me in a weird way :P

Kalen

I can answer both of Sherona's.

The first is the human life span... we crawl on all fours, then learn to walk, then depend on a cane.

The second?  The human heart.

No sooner spoken than broken. What is it?

Oniya

Silence.

This one's a bit of a visual.  I got it from an old Analog magazine, so forgive the dated-ness.

Below is the place that will be safe during a nuclear war.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVXYZ

What is the place?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

Under the sea (C)?

Not sure otherwise.

Which two men does history remember?

Cherri Tart

you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Vekseid

Revolverman

I form the flattest planes, or the highest mountains, I blind some, and help some to see.