EA has officially backed off

Started by Sabby, September 14, 2008, 09:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Quote"It's official - Grand Theft Auto V will not be released under the Electronic Arts brand. EA has just issued a press release announcing that it has decided not to continue its lengthy pursuit of Take-Two Interactive"

Congratulations Take-Two! Standing your ground for almost 7 months, and avoiding assimilation. Be proud of yourselves and keep making great games :)

I have a huge respect for Rockstar Games, and I've always loved that they release lots of fun titles in between the larger, more ambitious ones. Things like Red Dead Revolver and The Warriors are the kind of titles that go well between big releases like GTA4.

Revolverman

Watch take two take over EA in  10 years

Sabby

Oh dude, don't, that's TOO much to hope for XD I'm content with this victory for now. Now if only Pandemic and Bioware could have done the same...

Revolverman

Quote from: Sabbat on September 14, 2008, 09:17:53 PM
Oh dude, don't, that's TOO much to hope for XD I'm content with this victory for now. Now if only Pandemic and Bioware could have done the same...

Oh man, Mercs 2 has the stink of EA in it.

Sabby

Yes it does :( incredible game if you can look past the horribly buggy state it was released in, but sadly, not everyone can do that.

Revolverman

oh man, thats my biggest pet peave with EA, relaceing unfinished games, oh well I still have Mercs 1.

Sabby

Bungie, Rockstar and Valve are three companies that can simply say "It'll be done when its done" and that's the end of the story. If EA had a hand in Halo 3 or Portal, they would get a static, unmoving "Back off until its finished" and I don't think they would like that :P especially if you miss the Christmas period to do so.

Revolverman

I always hated the must be out by Christmas mentality, since a great game will always sell no matter when.

Sabby

Admittedly, I would try to release a game on Christmas as well... I'd want my pride and joy to turn as much a profit as I can :P but if its not finished, its not finished. Simple as that.

Revolverman

100% agreed, to many games have died due to unfinishedness

Red Dawn

Like the original Fallout 3 :/

Sad that the company ran out of business but I hope the new one can live up to their works :]

Sabby

Hopefully, but that's for another topic :)

Red Dawn

xD whoops. Okay back on topic: Wonder why EA backed off? Not that I'm complaining but I thought they would be way more tenacious about trying assimilate Take-Two. They've done it on other companies o-O

Revolverman

Quote from: Red Dawn on September 14, 2008, 11:21:46 PM
xD whoops. Okay back on topic: Wonder why EA backed off? Not that I'm complaining but I thought they would be way more tenacious about trying assimilate Take-Two. They've done it on other companies o-O

Take-Two has a huge war chest, they could have killed EA if they went to war I bet.

Inkidu

Why are the already thinking about GTA V? GTA 4 isn't even a year old!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

:P it will come eventually, among other games, and EA would only hurt them.

Canuckian

Do you really think they'd let a cash-cow like that go unexploited?  It's like Halo, Metal Gear Solid, and others.  Whenever they say "last game" or "finish the fight" I know damn well that there will be more.  Really, those titles (regardless of quality or fan reaction) are licenses to print money.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabbat on September 15, 2008, 07:59:55 PM
:P it will come eventually, among other games, and EA would only hurt them.
I don't know I kind of would have liked to go to modern San Andreas or Vice City than GTA V. EA is kind of sucking up a lot of other third-party developers. That's just business.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

magnamos

Already heared the newest genius strike of EA? They stoped the shipment of The Sims 2: Nightlife to push the selling of there combipack containing The Sims 2 and Nightlife on one DVD. I already got The Sims 2 and I got almost every other Addon but I won't pay 30$ extra just to get Nightlife. The Addons are very expensive on there own but I just don't gonna pay extra money for something I already got so the CEO of EA can stuff more Dollars up his butt. Sorry. I don't support Anal-Money-Fetishists :-\

Inkidu

To be fair Nightlife is a what four year old expansion pack? Come on man they ain't keeping it on its own forever.

magnamos

No matter it's four years old it still costs 35$. Please tell me why a four years old expansion stayed on the market for the same price through all the time and suddendly vanishes to make space for a game that includes the expansion and costs as much as you would buy the game and the expansion seperate? They can't tell me they haven't sold enough and still need to cover there charges. That's ridicolous.

Companies like EA whine about the bad sales and having there software illegaly copied but force there Developers to throw half finished games on the market that become playable after the third patch and won't go down in the price after four years. There is really no sense in that. I don't say "Go and pirate EA games because they sell it for a too high price" but I demand as a customer that when I'm already willing to pay for a too expensive product that it won't get snatched away in front of my nose and replaced by an even more expensive product which contains content I already got and the only justification for the actions are problems that every other company in that branch suffers aswell, funnily enough without taking weired actions like that.