I'd like to thank Veks for all of his efforts to deal with people's issues with the new design, especially since I was one of those having the most severe problems.
I'm really happy to report that as of my signing on this afternoon, several of my problems are either solved or at least reduced to trivial nature.
Disabling the shoutbox is now easy and unintrusive. And using the wide screen version I can actually see the search button and other things on the right without scrolling ... both at full screen and half screen. And I can have both of those adjustments at the same time.
The intrusive button bar is much less intrusive now, and doesn't automatically distract my eyes when writing or navigating the forum, so I can actually go back to writing without headaches.
Really, all of that that makes a huge difference. Thank you!
We still have a set of three matching new blues, and another matching set three old blues, with the two sets not matching each other, but at this point it's an esthetic quibble for me, and may perhaps be solved by additional templates..
I do have one other issue, though:
I'd like to present a somewhat different perspective on the spoilers than the one that is currently being addressed.
I think it's wonderful that Veks is being so responsive to people who want to do complicated things with spoilers. I think that's part of what makes this forum special
But I'd also like to remind about those of us (I would guess a large majority) for whom the old default case button-generated spoiler was quite sufficient (perhaps with an "=Title" that we added) and easily and happily used ... because it is no longer anything like it used to be.
I have three years worth of carefully titled and placed spoilers that now look nothing remotely like they did when I made them. I find that very frustrating, because it entirely changes the look of pages for which I had carefully considered how they would look.
Even more frustrating, however, is that if I want to go back and restore something like the former appearance I'll have to go find complicated code (which I probably won't use often enough to remember, and whose location I likely won't be able to find when I do need it), then take the time to insert it within what used to be a simple uniform base case button generated function. And I will have to do that in the future unless I am willing to settle for what the current default spoiler looks like.
In other words, I'd really like the default spoiler to go back to looking (in size and position) like the old default spoiler, and leave the complicated additional coding for additional functionality to those for whom the net effect is worth the additional effort.