You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 24, 2016, 08:33:28 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Nuns changing names  (Read 655 times)

Offline BeorningTopic starter

Re: Nuns changing names
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »
Out of curiosity, did they offer any interesting answers that you might care to share?  :)

Nah, these were specific question regarding the DoC order. Like, whether they used to change their names, whether they cut their hair etc. Nothing that interesting...

Also, did your letter include: "Hi, I'm totally not a Catholic and I'm just researching nuns for lesbian convent romance story. Could you help me out?"    XD

Well, I did mention I was writing a romance story and one of the characters in the story is a nun. I'm not sure how clear it was that the nun would be involved in the romance, though...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:40:06 PM by Beorning »

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 10:30:50 AM »
By the way, I'll show you something interesting I found one some family's webpage:

This woman was a nun in 1961, but then she got married in 1966.

I would be surprised, if I didn't know that Daughters of Charity don't make solemn vows...

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 10:46:46 AM »
She may also have been a postulant (someone who enters a convent with the intent to become a nun).  Many people don't realize that there's a difference.  The famed Maria von Trapp was never a nun, but a postulant.

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 11:03:55 AM »
No, she wasn't a postulant or even a novice... she wears the full habit.

I'd say she probably quit by not prolonging the annual vows. Or, maybe, she quit before she made them. From what I know, the DoC have a bit weird "progression path": first, you are a postulant (which lasts up to a few months), then you go to the seminary (which equals being a novice and lasts up to a year). Then, after you stop being a novice, you have an additional "trial period" of a few years and only then you start making the annual vows.

And coming back to the issue of name-changing: did you know that, at some orders, a new nun was *assigned* a name by her superior? No choice for her. A bit scary idea...