Sword Art Online (Freeform -Recruiting Currently Closed)

Started by Daril, July 01, 2014, 06:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daril

I realize the last few attempts at a SAO RPG have all died quickly, but I'd sort of like to try another one.  Who here is interested in doing a SAO RPG and thinks they will also be able to post fairly regularly?  I'm looking for a GM and a small group of players (I want to limit the size of the player base to prevent the game from getting stalled)

Game details would ultimately be up to the GM, but I'm thinking we'd start off at the beginning of Aincrad and possibly do some timeskips later.  Ideally I would like to do this as a yuri (f/f) rpg but I imagine it has a better chance of success with a more mixed cast.

Also for those who have participated in these games with me before I am planning to do a new character this time rather than just recycling a previous one.

StormRanger779

I rather like the idea of a SAO RPG, and you can could me in!!! Also, Having a Yuri (f/f) really wouldn't capture a lot of attention, but that doesn't mean you can't have it in the game, and a mixed cast would make it more appealing to other players.

Zaer Darkwail

I had tried SoA in past with system (tried a 'DnD Online') but did not quite work out. I would like get in either as player or retry as GM if there would be interest.

Daril

Quote from: StormRanger779 on July 01, 2014, 06:57:58 PM
I rather like the idea of a SAO RPG, and you can could me in!!! Also, Having a Yuri (f/f) really wouldn't capture a lot of attention, but that doesn't mean you can't have it in the game, and a mixed cast would make it more appealing to other players.

Well yes, as I noted in my first post the rpg will probably have a better chance of success with a mixed cast.  I figured doing it as a yuri RPG likely wasn't going to fly but I thought I'd mention the idea.

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on July 01, 2014, 07:08:05 PM
I had tried SoA in past with system (tried a 'DnD Online') but did not quite work out. I would like get in either as player or retry as GM if there would be interest.

I should probably have mentioned that I was thinking of doing this as a freeform RPG.  Would you still be interested in playing or GMing if that was the case?

Belisuavious

I just finished watching the series, so I'd be interested.

apygoos

you just finished season 1 just in time for season 2 kicking off at the endof the week
i personally don't like systems, and would it be sword art, ALO, or even GGO?

Vaulera

Hey there! I don't remember if you were in the same game as me before, but I really enjoyed the SAO roleplays that I got into, so count me in.

pendarious

I guess I can join either as GM or a player I don't care which.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

Silk

I'll put down interest as well, although I'm also somewhat guilty in the last ones, due to either the RP being slow to a point of losing interest, or RL happenings.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Daril on July 01, 2014, 09:14:07 PM
I should probably have mentioned that I was thinking of doing this as a freeform RPG.  Would you still be interested in playing or GMing if that was the case?

Well, I would still be interested. Although cases of conflict need determined somehow as SoA is heavily combat based when speaking of progress in plot (get higher levels in the tower or progress in the game and such). It's after all anime based on people being stuck inside MMO with lethal effects on if you loose combat (the first season anyways).

Anyways I do agree a mixed cast gets more results than pure yuri based cast. But it's up to GM as I have preference being a player more than GM.

Daril

Quote from: pendarious on July 02, 2014, 01:12:28 AM
I guess I can join either as GM or a player I don't care which.

You sure you want to GM knowing how much of a pain in the ass I can be as a player?  ;D

But sure, if you think you've got the time to GM a game like this then I'd love to have you do it.  Do you think you've got the time to be able to GM a game where people will (hopefully) be posting pretty regularly?

pendarious

Just remember you said it not me lol.

as for time while I may not exactly be able to post until the ungodly am hours due to various issues (using the PS3 for ooc isnt as difficult but IC posts are near impossible) but I can definitely monitor things til I can. I'll also be taking a less involved approach this time....Ie not running a full time character.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?

zergmuncher

I am interested and at the same time a little nervous. The last couple SAO Rpg games having died so quickly as was mentioned in the interest check. But i'm still in if you'll have me Daril.

Daril

Quote from: pendarious on July 02, 2014, 01:37:02 PM
Just remember you said it not me lol.

as for time while I may not exactly be able to post until the ungodly am hours due to various issues (using the PS3 for ooc isnt as difficult but IC posts are near impossible) but I can definitely monitor things til I can. I'll also be taking a less involved approach this time....Ie not running a full time character.

I wasn't expecting you to be ready to post 24/7, just that you'd be able to post frequently enough to keep things moving for a group of players who are supposed to be posting fairly regularly.

Anyway if you think you're up for this why don't we start an OOC thread so that people can start working on their characters?

Quote from: zergmuncher on July 02, 2014, 01:53:05 PM
I am interested and at the same time a little nervous. The last couple SAO Rpg games having died so quickly as was mentioned in the interest check. But i'm still in if you'll have me Daril.

Its actually the GM who should probably be deciding who is approved and who isn't.  But for my part I'm concentrating a lot on whether people think they'll be able to post regularly, since I don't want this game to stall and die early on like the last few.   I'm not expecting breakneck speed but I want to keep things moving without a lot of long waits.

Silk

The main thing needed for that is to get the introductions wrapped up quickly. In all honesty I think the best bet to get things moving for the group is to go past the meeting eachother part. because that's what the last couple of games got hung up on.

pendarious

she has a point....early on I'll set up a post that gets everyone together this time and just run with it from there.

Daril

Although I joined in later the first SAO RPG I got involved with started off with a group of solo players banding together and taking on one of the lower level floor bosses.  Perhaps we could try something along those lines.  Or possibly a few people could meet right at the beginning of the game after Kayaba's announcement is made.  If not before -it could be rather interesting to see people's reactions when their party member's real identities are revealed.

At any rate, I think it would be good to get an OOC thread going and start coming up with some characters (or are most of the rest of you planning to reuse character from past games?).

pendarious

the OOC will be up when it's up just be patient darnit. First of All I do need to know one thing....what section do yall want to put this under?

Daril

As long as I have control over what my own character gets involved with I'm probably good with just about anything except Extreme.  So let's see what the others have to say on the matter.

Silk

My personal suggestion, we are a group of beta players who have decided to meet up again at official release.

Zaer Darkwail

Aye, I agree on Silk; that our chars all are beta players who know each other in RL (via internet) and met during beta and decided group up during official release.

Silk

It'll also give us a reason behind why were "better" than average without needing some kind of flangy reason behind it

pendarious

ok everyone can be Beta testers I'm fine with that....though that doesn't exactly tell me what section we are putting this in.

the vote so far marks off extreme but I'm waiting for the majorities vote here.

Silk

I say NC-exotic really. As far as the confines of the games go, there's no blood, no toilets and stuff that would fall under ex anyway.

pendarious

Vaulera

NC exotic would make sense to me!

Daril

I'd kind of wondering if we need the exotic part since the game monsters merely seem to want to kill people (tentacle flowers not withstanding) but meh.

The Beta tester group thing isn't a bad idea.  It could be fun to see how everyone reacts to each other's "real" appearances.  The one problem is that some people may want to play characters who aren't Beta testers but I'd think we could find ways to accommodate one or two people like that if it comes to it.

Silk

Well the exotic tends to mean more than just monsters, just situations that are out of the ordinary.

Vaulera

I think just generally that things with things monstrous or sci-fi should go in the exotic category, so that no one gets any sort of surprises. Also, who knows where we may all want to go, so it couldn't hurt.

Jett Void

If this is still being contemplated then color me interested, I actually came to the site in hopes of getting some kind of SAO role play started. Looks like this may be such an opportunity.
My On's and Off's, for those of you that are interested. Ta-Dah!

Check out Serperior's Trove He has given me a few of my avatars.

My Request Thread.

This. Another wonderful place to find awesome avatars. If you like wicked, check it out.

pendarious

feel free to join. I'll have an OOC/Character thread up sometime in the next few days

Vaulera

So I take it that we're going to be starting at a very low level, or will we be starting at a mid to high level? I've played both of them, actually, I think both of them with you, actually.

pendarious

I've never been part of an SAO game that took place at higher levels only the lower ones but yeah we have been in at least one on lower levels together.

I think what they are saying is that they will be meeting up at lower levels...but honestly if you guys want to do higher levels I can do that too.

akirakaneda

Im also interested in the SAO RP, but with some questions: it would be in Aincrad or in Alfheim? and the GM would be supervising the fights we may have among ourselves? (the last thing anyone want to see is someone doing godmodding or overpowering in a fight).

Let me know if the RP is open, (or already opened :D )

pendarious

ok yes it's still open for the time being.....I'm probably going to close recruitment tomorrow or tuesday I haven't decided yet.

to answer your questions It will definitely start in Aincrad but IF the game lasts long enough it MIGHT go to Alfheim but that all depends on you guys. As for fights amongst yourselves I will be observing and I WILL appropriately deal with godmodding as that is something that nobody likes. I hope everyone can be mature about that. but in any case I'm not too sure that there will be any fighting amongst the PC's but if there is I hope that things will be settled without my intervention.

Daril

We've already got more people than I think is really manageable, but I suspect the numbers will drop a bit by the time the game actually get under way.  (No offense but that does seem to be how things work sometimes.)

Any hints about what we'll need to put on the character sheets for those of us who may want to get a head start on that part of things?

zergmuncher

More than likely Pandarious will just recycle his old character sheet template. That worked didn't it? I don't see the need in making a completely new template if we already have one from the older games.

ZephySempai

Been following this for a bit. I'd be really interested in joining, but if you don't think there's enough room for me, I wouldn't mind sitting back in the shadows and waiting until some more space opens up  :-)

Daril

Quote from: zergmuncher on July 06, 2014, 01:38:49 PM
More than likely Pandarious will just recycle his old character sheet template. That worked didn't it? I don't see the need in making a completely new template if we already have one from the older games.

For the most part those would work, but I'd strongly suggest adding a history/background type section.

Quote from: ZephySempai on July 06, 2014, 01:54:47 PM
Been following this for a bit. I'd be really interested in joining, but if you don't think there's enough room for me, I wouldn't mind sitting back in the shadows and waiting until some more space opens up  :-)

Ultimately the maximum number of players is Pendarious' decision, but given that a few people will probably drop off before thing start I'd imagine we can likely fit you in.

akirakaneda

well it seems interesting, so I am awaiting for the OOC/character thread   :D

Sessha

I'll go ahead and recyle my last character as well.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

pendarious

ok Zephy and Sessh your both in but for now that's it.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=208272.0

There is the OOC and Character thread

the fallowing is the Modified version of the character sheet. Due to not being able to figure out a fair way to level characters last time I decided that much like the show and light novels themselves we won't really mention levels (Unless I authorize the use of a level statement for plot reasons or something) We will simply update the skills and Equipment you all have as the game progresses.

There is a reason I'm not including a background/ history section. I understand why you would include that but considering the fact that I think it would be more fun to learn the characters backgrounds by convincing them to tell their stories IN GAME rather than have a character sheet that spells it out.....and it adds more mystery and intrigue to each character.

Player (Real world identity):

Screen Name:

IRL Appearance:

Game Character Appearance:

Personality:

Floor:

Equipment:

Skills:

Sword Skills:

Vaulera

After the mirrors, doesn't everybody look the same IRL and in game?

Silk

They do, but the clothing they their in game character wears doesn't change when the mirroring happens.

Daril

I would personally appreciate it if we just switched it to a simple "appearance" section myself.  I've got a nice "in game" image for my new character but finding an image to represent her in "real life" would be a pain.

Also I'm wondering what to put for the personality section for my new character if her personality after the big reveal is likely to be different from how she acted beforehand.  Should I describe the personality her companions would be familiar with?  Or the personality that's going to come to the fore after the reveal?

pendarious

for the "Simple Appearance" I don't think there is any need to change what I have put here

as for personality....you should describe whatever personality is going to dominate the characters actions thorughout the game.

Snake

I've only seen the first four episodes of the series and didn't think too much of it; but if there's a game here that can make it better I'm interested.

akirakaneda

About the "skills" and "sword skills" of the chracter sheet are those referring to the skills the player had when he start in SAO or those who eventually may have advancing in the game?

pendarious

The Skills slots are for the skills you are working on throughout the game. You have 12 skill slots so remember to pick what you wish to work with carefully. Though you can switch out your skills remember that every time you do you have to start from scratch with the new skills.

Daril

Wait, we're filling out all twelve skill slots right off the bat?  We're not starting with a smaller number of slots and adding to them as the timeline progresses?

I was planning to use this image to represent my new character's in game appearance (assuming people don't think she looks too much like a palette swap  :P).  Problem is she's from a fantasy series so I don't have any good images to represent what she'd look like in "real world" clothing.  That's why I'd like some flexibility with the "Appearance" section.  There may be other players in a similar boat.

Edit: Switched the topic title to say that recruiting is currently closed since you indicated that a few posts back.  Please let me know if you would like that changed.

pendarious

the series apparently alots all 12 slots right off the bat it's just up to the players how many they want to fill *shrugs*

regarding the image flexibility honestly....and rather brutally so it sounds like a personal problem to me. The reason I'm not changing it is because most people don't recreate themselves in games (in the sense of making their characters look closely to themselves) so even if the in game image doesn't fit with modern clothes the player and the character images are still going to be different (probably though it's not entirely impossible for them to look the same) and as such you only really need to comment that she would look the same just in more modern clothes in real life *shrugs* it's no hassle to just say so.

Daril

Clarification: my intention is for the image to represent what she looks like in game after the mirror reveal, not before.  But yeah I guess the "imagine the in game image in real world clothes" thing should work.

I plan to get my character profile up soon but there's one more thing I should probably clarify that others may also find useful.  What's allowable in terms of starting weaponry and equipment?  I imagine exotic weapons like katanas are out, but how basic do things need to be?  For example canonically I think characters need a certain amount of experience with one handed swords before they can unlock two handed ones, but past games had people starting off with some pretty big blades.  How are we working that sort of thing here?

Edit: Just noticing that the SAO wiki indicates new players start with two skill slots and that Kirito had twelve at level 96.  Of course this is the same wiki that says that One Handed Straight Sword has to be trained quite a bit before Rapier is unlocked despite Asuna using a Rapier since her first appearance.  :P

pendarious

well the light novels and games themselves never mentioned starting skill slots so I still have research to do....COOL! I like learning new things about shows I like. but I digress. In regards to weapons well mostly nothing terribly exotic beyond one handed swords or basic spears or whatever once youve accumulated roughly 10 levels (10,000 exp) or so in a skill then you can upgrade to two hand or rapier or katana or whatever your choice is.

as for Asuna when she first appeared they had already been in AINCRAD for two months so in that time it's easy to get beyond the first tiers of your weapons.

Daril

Posted my new character to the OOC thread.  For the time being I'm only giving her two skill slots as per the wiki.  If you want me to change that (or something else) then let me know.  ;)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=208272.msg10234543#msg10234543

Zaer Darkwail

So, we use two skill slots in start then? But unlock over time total 10? Would heavy armor and shield use both count as a skill?

Zaer Darkwail

Aha, I read bit wiki here; http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/Skills

So, 2 slots in start is confirmed deal. But you can have any amount of skills but limited skill slots.

Daril

Any of the rest of you who expressed interest planning to make a profile and join in?  I expected the group to shrink a bit before the game actually started but not down to only four players.

Snake

I am though I havent' seen much past the first 4 episodes of it.

Daril

Hey Pendarious, it seems we've only had a few people post profiles to the OOC thread so far.  Why don't we give people until the end of the weekend and then get started with what we've got so far?  It may be harsh but sometimes deadlines are necessary to get things moving.

pendarious

Opening game thread sometime monday evening to early tuesday morning.

ZephySempai

akirakaneda

pendarious

Silk

my apologies for my posting delay, I've had a new set of exams thrusted on me so i'm stressing over those.

pendarious