News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What Does Elliquiy Mean?

Started by rou, June 30, 2014, 09:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rou

Just curious. ^^ I'd love to know why Elliquiy is Elliquiy and not a rose by any other name. Does Elliquiy actually mean something? Is it just a fancy word created spur of the moment? Please, help me to unravel this mystery!

// A&A: July 17, 2022 //
“succubus angel” — anonymous

Beguile's Mistress

Ariel

Rumor has it that that dictionary definition was put in by a member.

Maybe the same culprit as this one: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Kyrsa

Regardless, I think we've all wondered what Elliquiy stands for. *laughs*
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Vekseid

It's a word I made up, and since no one accepts that as an answer, I made up a definition to go along with it.

The original definition is/was "Your first, true orgasm." shortly after reading the study about how 70% of guys have never had one. If you're a guy and that confuses you, you're one of them.

Ariel

Quote from: Vekseid on July 01, 2014, 12:52:22 AM
It's a word I made up, and since no one accepts that as an answer, I made up a definition to go along with it.

The original definition is/was "Your first, true orgasm." shortly after reading the study about how 70% of guys have never had one. If you're a guy and that confuses you, you're one of them.

*furiously notes this down for future reference* Finally, the mystery has been solved. I've been wondering if that definition was accurate for quite some time now. :-)
Not accepting new RPs

Peripherie

So then how do you officially pronounce it? I have always assumed it is like this: El-ih-qu-e.
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Vekseid on July 01, 2014, 12:52:22 AM

How interesting.  This is the first I've heard that particular answer and I would remember it because I always thought the word was made up.  I've seen the Urban Dictionary answer give so many times and never refuted so I accepted that as what people were supposed to believe.

Now I wonder...

Vekseid

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on July 01, 2014, 05:46:44 AM
How interesting.  This is the first I've heard that particular answer and I would remember it because I always thought the word was made up.  I've seen the Urban Dictionary answer give so many times and never refuted so I accepted that as what people were supposed to believe.

Now I wonder...

There's a thread in On Topic somewhere where Desan went and put up the definition.

Wasn't the intended wording, but since I made the definition mostly to get people off my back about it, did not bother me much.

Quote from: Peripherie on July 01, 2014, 05:33:32 AM
So then how do you officially pronounce it? I have always assumed it is like this: El-ih-qu-e.

Close, I usually say "El-ih-kwee"

Kye

Quote from: Ariel on June 30, 2014, 10:12:15 PM
Rumor has it that that dictionary definition was put in by a member.

Maybe the same culprit as this one: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Kyrsa

Regardless, I think we've all wondered what Elliquiy stands for. *laughs*

*eyes the entry* I had no idea that was there. *laughs*

rou

Yep, Ell-ih-kwee is how I say it, the very rare times I actually say it out loud. (:

It's really more than satisfactory of an answer to say, "I made it up." That's basically the answer I was looking for. Just whether there was some kind of origin story, if there was something it was related to, or if it was just a pile of letters that "looked cool," as we so often do when coming up with names for our fantasy worlds and the like.

So thanks! ^^

Ariel

Quote from: Kyrsa on July 01, 2014, 05:40:26 PM
*eyes the entry* I had no idea that was there. *laughs*

It's an accurate description if I do say so myself. ::)

OT: I say Elliquiy just like Vek said. Any other way would sound very strange, to me, anyways.
Not accepting new RPs

Inkidu

I always thought it was Eel-lih-kwee. :|

Kinda close. Short E though huh. :)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Kerri

I always thought it was Ell-ih-kwhy..... Hmm, I now must train myself in the proper way to say it.

A/a’s updated 10/2/16
All images in signature created by the truly talented and sweet Amelita

Beguile's Mistress

Ell-a-kwee always seemed more elegant to me.  I think it's one of those things we'll say in a way that makes us happy. :-)

Oniya

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on July 03, 2014, 11:30:24 AM
Ell-a-kwee always seemed more elegant to me.

And it's got that little 'Whee!' at the end - which is how I usually feel when I come here.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on July 03, 2014, 11:30:24 AM
Ell-a-kwee always seemed more elegant to me.  I think it's one of those things we'll say in a way that makes us happy. :-)
I always thought the E and L might have been from Elation, hence my long E-ness. :)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Beguile's Mistress

Now I'm picturing a garden with some pretty trees and two song birds in the branches, one chirping "Ell-a-kwee" and the other "E-lee-kwee" over and over.  Sorta like dueling banjos but with birds. ;D

Batsose

Interesting discussion.  I had always thought the word was related to Soliloquy somehow :-\
“I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.” ~Pablo Neruda

Ons and Offs

Oniya

I'm sure a little creative etymology could be arranged.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

rou

Quote from: Oniya on July 03, 2014, 11:32:00 AM
And it's got that little 'Whee!' at the end - which is how I usually feel when I come here.

+1!

Well, maybe a soliloquy is what you do when you've had an Elliquiy? xD

Verasaille

This is an interesting topic. I really thought it was just some made up word, kind of combining Eloquent with soliloquy. So it would effectively mean it is an eloquent way of writing, though not always by yourself.

I would like to see an additional definition as a way of writing, I think too many people assume all adult writing is smut. It does not have to be about sex to be adult writing, does it? Can't we deal with other things that adults can discuss without the smut being even mentioned?

Also I think it would be doing the site a lot more good by making some notation somewhere that adult writing need not be violent, bloody or perverted. I think it is just as valid to write about things like nature and the world in general. Good things, not controversy. We can write about subjects other than the things that scare people or make then shiver in disgust. Can't we?
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Beguile's Mistress

The fact that there are many facets to what is adult writing is something Staff is prone to encourage and direct people toward from time to time.  But it's up to those who write here to promote that styling as well.

Nico

Quote from: Verasaille on February 08, 2015, 06:14:44 PM
Also I think it would be doing the site a lot more good by making some notation somewhere that adult writing need not be violent, bloody or perverted. I think it is just as valid to write about things like nature and the world in general. Good things, not controversy. We can write about subjects other than the things that scare people or make then shiver in disgust. Can't we?
There actually is a very interesting topic here about this. :-)

Verasaille

Thanks, Nicholas. I saw that and it is very good. I realize that people coming her are often led here by the Google search engine when people type in anything that is adult rp, erotic rp, mature rp, exotic rp, and I think anything that has to do with sexual content.

What I am saying, is there anyway we can advertise in a way that encourages more than smut? Like basically good literature and writing, no matter the theme?

Seriously I am more than happy to write about things that are not overtly sexual. There is so much that can be explored that does not involve sex or smut.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Nico

Your O/O's is a good place to put that. ~nodnod~