You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 10, 2016, 08:53:11 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: I have a question  (Read 656 times)

Offline EnchantedDream218Topic starter

I have a question
« on: June 29, 2014, 12:30:50 PM »
It says I have one Referral. Am I in trouble? Does this mean a bad thing? Could someone please explain what this means.

Thank you.  :-)

Offline Nicholas

• Mr. Nice Guy (or so I am told) :-) Jag's Mulder *muse crack* Deviously delicious - according to a certain, most awesome Liege ;) King of Terrible. Always innocent despite what Caedy says. Spoiler buttons are evil. 42,19km!
  • Knight
  • Carnite
  • #JeSuisUnAnge #ReallyIAm #BlameMads
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: I have a question
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 12:41:17 PM »
No, you are certainly not in trouble. I means that at least one person has clicked the link in your profile, to sign up to Elliquiy. :-) Don't worry.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 12:45:02 PM »
Referrals are good things.  ;D

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 01:37:18 PM »
*nods*  I have 2 and the person who referred me should have 1.

Offline EnchantedDream218Topic starter

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 02:05:21 PM »
Oh okay thank you. Now I'm curious to who this person is. I'd like to thank them.  :D

Offline The Golden Touch

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 07:40:18 PM »
Same here, I have two.... From who I cannot say!

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »
You have secret admirers? ;D

Offline Belle33

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 07:18:23 AM »
What if you haven't published your link anywhere?  Is there any other way for someone to access it?  That's happened to someone I know, and it has us perplexed. 

Offline Dovel

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 07:33:32 AM »
I don't believe they need the actual link, but just your name.

Referred by Membername:

The Sign Up page just asks for your member name.

Offline Belle33

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 07:51:05 AM »
Thanks for your response, Dovel. 

Is the Referral_Membername field manually entered? If so, is someone is matching up manually keyed member names? 

Offline Dovel

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 08:02:11 AM »
You are very welcome, but don't take my word for it. ~grins~ I am sure someone with vastly more knowledge shall wander through soon. For your question, I believe the name has to be entered manually. There is no auto-complete feature like when you search for someone or type a name into a PM box address. So the person listing you as a reference would actually have to know how to spell your name correctly.

Offline BAMF

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 08:43:19 PM »
How about those who have had name changes? Would the new name work? Or would they need the old name?

Offline Valthazar

• Writer ͏͏● Educator ● Gamer ● Roleplayer ● Debater ● Tech Connoisseur ● Gym Rat ● Procrastinator ● As they say, "A simple PM may lead to lifelong friendship" ▬▬▬▬
  • Suspended
  • Seducer
  • Proceed and be bold. Embrace your insecurities.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 11:37:52 PM »
I don't know anything about this.  But in another thread, someone asked why they didn't get a referral when the new person specifically mentioned their name in their questionnaire.  The answer was that the link wasn't used, so I think the link is essential.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=206700.0

Offline Belle33

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 01:43:28 PM »
Would it be possible to get a definitive answer on whether referrals are only generated if the link is used?  I don't normally concern myself with such things, but this particular issue is important to me. 

Pulling together what I've read here and on other threads, I believe there may be two use cases for referrals:

Active referrals: A user links to E using the member's unique url and registers (or must they also be approved?).  I'm assuming (correct me if I am wrong) in this case, the member must have intentionally copied the url and published/posted it somewhere that was accessible to the potential new member.  I call this an active referral because the member must take action to enable a referral.

Passive referrals: A user enters an active(?) member's name in the Referring_Membername field on the signup form.  It must be an exact match for an active member - meaning spelling, punctuation, spacing, capitalization, and any special characters - in order to result show up in one's referral count.  I call this an passive referral because the member does not need to take any action to enable a referral.

I won't ask what happens if the user links to E using a member link and then enters another member's name as a referral member - because I have the day off and this already feels like work *laughs a little* 

Please confirm the two use cases are accurate, or clarify.   

Offline Vekseid

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 02:48:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure autocomplete is active on the named referrals.

It's often used by spammers so they'll enter random data, see the autocomplete and then use that.

Offline Belle33

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 09:39:25 PM »
I gave it a try and I found autocomplete isn't enabled for me.  Perhaps it's been deactivated? 

Does this mean the both passive and active referrals as I have noted above result in referrals? 

Also, does the referred user count after the user registers or after they become an approved member?

Thanks for your attention.

Offline Ariel

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 11:27:36 PM »
Either way, you should get the referral noted on your profile. Whether they use the link you snag off your profile and send to them or by entering your username, either way, it should count.

It counts as soon as they register.

Offline Vekseid

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 07:59:59 AM »
I gave it a try and I found autocomplete isn't enabled for me.  Perhaps it's been deactivated? 

Does this mean the both passive and active referrals as I have noted above result in referrals? 

Also, does the referred user count after the user registers or after they become an approved member?

Thanks for your attention.

It counts on registration, even if SFS blocks it.

Offline Belle33

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.   ;D