You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 21, 2016, 08:05:58 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

The Elliquian Herald & Post
October & November 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Tired of complex plots? Need a laugh?  (Read 203 times)

Offline LrrrTopic starter

Tired of complex plots? Need a laugh?
« on: June 22, 2014, 09:57:58 PM »
I love the realism and challenge of a detailed plot with romantic tension, soul searching, and a slow pace allowing the characters to fully develop.  In fact, I have a number of them going right now with wonderful partners who do a beautiful job with their writing.  Seriously.  Thank you all for making my first six months on E fantastic.  It's clear we'll continue to create interesting and exciting stories in the next six months too.

Right now though, I'm craving something different.  Something ... light and playful and just ... fun.  Yeah, I know - vague.  So here are a few thoughts to bring it in focus a bit.

Zombies is so Stupid

Yup.  Zombies.  Lots and lots of zombies.  Jimmie wasn't too concerned about them.  He was focused on finding out where they kept the recordings of The Wonder Years of Home Improvement With Ellen.  The damned infection took hold four days before the big season opener.  And now Jimmie had dead people keeping him from finding out what happened.  Damn them!  Every time he thought about Ellen trying to talk that roofer into coming down the ladder to give birth, it made him crazy.

"Yeah, you too buddy!"  His round removed most of some smelly dead guy's head, making a damned mess on the wall behind.  Stupid zombies - they were really starting to piss him off.  It wasn't enough that the first thing cleaned out of the Quickie-Mart had been pork rinds, now they were making weird graffiti whenever they got shot.  Buggers must all be high-brow smarty pants types with expensive pictures of paint splatters on their walls.  He snorted.  Being dead sure taught them a lesson.

"Jeeze Jimmy, get a grip."  Jimmie was an idiot, but a useful idiot so Mike kept him around.  The two of them had been buddies since ... well, since forever.  The apocalypse was terrifying for Mike, yet he'd been fall-down bust-a-gut laughing at least four times in the last few days.  Jimmie just didn't get it - and that was ... well it was more terrifying than the actual end of the world at times and funny as hell at others.

They'd been more or less following a plan to gather food, water, guns and ammo, and anything else they needed.  Or Mike had.  Jimmie was on some bizarre quest to satisfy his TV addiction, which led to surrealistic situations like the last five minutes.   ...

Yeah, this story does have a female character you create.  And yeah, she and Mike do meet and can eventually get together.  And yeah, they can even have a serious relationship.  But Jimmie is permanent.  A dual-controlled NPC who is just flaky enough that he's believable even when he does and says the most bizarre things.  And he's going to create situations that are both deadly and irresistibly humorous at the same time.

Change the zombies to an alien race.  Change the guns to bows and arrows.  Change the pork rinds to ... whatever the junk food was in ancient Rome.  It doesn't matter to me.  Only the dual-controlled, wacky, permanent NPC and dealing with normally serious situations in an impossibly lighthearted way are required.  The rest is what all good writing is - creativity and imagination.

So drop me a PM and tell me you'd like to write a sexy story that's half weird.  And remember, we're supposed to be having fun writing here.   :-)