You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 02, 2016, 04:29:26 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: The Border Lords  (Read 248 times)

Offline BelisuaviousTopic starter

The Border Lords
« on: June 18, 2014, 10:23:45 PM »
So I've been reading the Byzantine Art of War, and one of the things that stuck in my head was the so called "Border Lords" in the 7th-9th centuries. These were the Dux, Komes, and other men who watched the border between the Byzantine Empire and the Caliphate in Anatolia. This was a conflict defined by raids, quick guerrilla strikes, and the occasional big (that is to say, approximately 5.000 men) push either way to take a city or a fortress. This conflict inspired many epic poems, the most famous of them called "The Two Blooded Border Lord". Political actions were also bursting at the seems, with the heads of both states swaying between truce and war, and on the local level, bribing or assassinating rival commanders on either side of the border.

What I was looking for is anyone who is interested in roleplaying the sort of conflicts. I'm undecided whether this should be a system or a freeform game, though if it were a system, I'd be using the Pathfinder rules (that being the only system I'm familiar with). It won't be set in the historical period, but the situation will be the same.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:39:34 AM by Jecter »

Online Kolbrandr

Re: The Border Lords
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 06:29:35 AM »
I'm a great big fan of Byzantine history, and something even thematically inspired by sounds fun. I have a pretty fierce aversion to freeform though, so you might want to disregard me.

With that said, if you were looking to use Pathfinder, its baseline setting of Golarion actually includes something of an analogous situation in the form of the Byzantine inspired nation of Taldor and the border it shares with Qadira, a nation itself inspired by fantastical Arabia and such things.

Though Taldor is more Byzantium in its decline than, say, the 9th century beginnings of the Macedonian renaissance and what have you. Still, not hard to tweak. Taldor's nobles are powerful and independent, with some having military force to their name, and both nations skirmish along their border in raids and the like, across a long history of warfare.

With that further said, I once tried to get a Taldor game going in ell and it just didn't get off the ground. Was more broadly focused and sweeping than this sort of thing mind you.

Offline BelisuaviousTopic starter

Re: The Border Lords
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 12:33:46 PM »
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely have a look at that.