Peri's Garden Blog is Back!

Started by Peripherie, June 16, 2014, 09:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ket

*gives Oreo alllll the beets* That is just not a flavor I've been able to find enjoyment in. Turnips either.

Speaking of turnips, when I was in my late teens, me, my mom, and my dad went to dinner at my grandmother's one night. There was a small bowl of what looked like mashed potatoes on the table, and we were slightly perplexed because my Gramz always made big bowls of potatoes. So my dad takes this huge spoonful, and I happen to notice a smirk on my Gramz's face when he does it, so I pass on the potatoes.

Dad takes a big bite, barely chokes it down. It's mashed turnips. Sneaky grandma is sneaky.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Oreo

I love all my root veggies, beets, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, and celeriac. ;D I just don't have room to grow them all anymore. I like the beets because the leaves are more tender and sweet than chard.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Peripherie

Quote from: Ket on July 06, 2017, 09:34:25 PM
First lettuce harvest today! So crisp and tasty.

Which led to this amazeballs salad (sadly the other produce was store bought because the rest of my plants aren't producing yet)

Of course, herbs are growing nicely too...

Which meant fresh seasoning on the steaks!

I need a bigger garden!

That steak and salad looks amazing *wants dinner at Ket's house*

I'll bring some Eggplant! Lookie:

What types of lettuce do you grow? My SO has some type of greens growing but I think he chooses what to plant based on what has a cool sounding name and not what would taste the best. :P
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

Ket

I planted mesclun mix, which was super duper easy because all I had to do was lay down the seed tapes and cover with a tiny bit of dirt, then keep watered.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Peripherie

Ket

Mesclun mix grows back fast! I harvested it all just 5 days ago, and today I had enough to make another whole salad. Only took what I needed for sammiches though. I enjoy lettuce and salads, but I've always shied away from buying it in the store because it goes bad so darn quick and is never as crisp as I like it to be (except romaine). Having fresh lettuces available though...OMG the yum!

Lynnie

I plan on the new place since I will have a lovely fenced in patio to make a small little garden. I long for the day that I can buy a house and get a nice garden going.

I am hoping I can plant, lettuce, potatoes, herbs, green beans, and peas.

Ket

Green beans and tomatoes will begin harvesting this week! Oddly enough, I have found more sunflowers that have taken over other pots. My squash plants are vining out and hugging each other, and the bean plant that I thought was pole beans are evidently bush beans, and is huge. Click for larger images

Oreo

Yay yummy! I am getting about one tomato a day and all the herbs I could want. ;D The cucumbers are coming along but not as fast as I would like.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Oniya

There are at least two people between my house and the market that 'forget' to clean up the pumpkins that they put out (painted, not carved) for Halloween.  I know this because every year these thick vines with huge leaves come up in the tree-boxes along the sidewalk, and eventually get removed.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ket

That particular tomato plant is the cherry tomatoes. There are about four or five good clumps like that. Add in that my lettuce has grown back completely, and I'll be picking fresh salads for myself for lunch all next week!.

My zukes still haven't started, they have all flowered and wilted, so I should be getting fruit soon. Heck, one of the plants still has buds forming. I'm going to be doing a lot of blanching and freezing of squash in a few weeks.

Oni - it's a shame they don't just let them grow and harvest the pumpkins. Such a waste.

Oniya

To be honest, I'm not sure if it's the family or the city that's cutting it back.  I'll see if I can get a photo of one of the 'tree boxes' that I'm talking about tomorrow to show why it might not be a great idea to have gourds growing there.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Ket

Fresh green beans with dinner tonight? Yes, please!

Ket

Greens grow so fast! Getting about one large salad a week out of this one pot of lettuce. Guessing next year I'll plant some rows in stages so that I can harvest nearly every day. OMG fresh salad for lunch everyday...nomnomnom.

Also, sunflowers will be blooming soon! These are my escapee sunflowers that somehow managed up in my beans and greens. Guess my veggies needed some decoration!

Click for bigger images

TheAnonymousBook

Wow I love this thread! It's so fun seeing your gardening adventures. I am a sucker for gardening, especially herbs, vegetables, and fruits. Though I love me my flowers too. You're plants are looking lovely I hop the rest of the summer goes well!!

Lynnie

Wow this has gotten quiet, did everyone's garden's die or something? I have been taking so many notes from this thread to start my own small patio garden in the spring.

Oniya

My camera did - the feral tomatoes did reasonably well this year, so I'm hoping they return.

Ket

It's almost planting time! Hopefully third winter disappears quickly and I can get my greenhouse set up soon. My mom gave me this for christmas, and I can't wait to fill it up with seedlings. If the wind and the snow ever die down...

My other project for this year will be a hanging garden made with plastic bottles. I drink a ton of flavored seltzer water, and gather probably two dozen bottles a week (omg I'm such an addict!). I wanted to find something cool to do with them, instead of just recycling, and I came across this nifty idea! I'm going to spray paint the outside of the bottles first to give them a bit of color, but I think they'll look cool as heck hanging on one side of my porch.

I also got some heirloom cotton seeds from Mr. Ket's mom that I am going to try and plant this year. Plus my mom's surprise sunflower seeds. Now to just make sure Mr. Ket waters everything while I'm gone for two weeks this summer.

What is everyone else getting ready to plant?

Oniya

I have a bunch of little tomato seedlings that I'll be moving to a big pot this weekend.  Going to keep it all indoors, though, so I have a chance to keep it hydrated.  The original tomato that I scavenged them from was 'Greenhouse Grown', so I'm betting the plant will be fine as a container garden.

Oreo

That looks amazing Ket. I am excited to see actual pictures of yours once they are finished.

I just got my garden in the ground last week. If everything grows I have TOMATOES, radishes, all kinds of greens (kale, collards, chard), garden onions, beets, Italian sweet peppers, yellow wax beans, Roma flat beans, sugar peas, herbs, melons, pumpkins, cucumbers, and summer squash. I do still need to plant my basil.

Lynnie

I am hoping to plant herbs this year

Peripherie

Quote from: Ket on April 06, 2018, 08:38:55 PM
It's almost planting time! Hopefully third winter disappears quickly and I can get my greenhouse set up soon. My mom gave me this for christmas, and I can't wait to fill it up with seedlings. If the wind and the snow ever die down...

My other project for this year will be a hanging garden made with plastic bottles. I drink a ton of flavored seltzer water, and gather probably two dozen bottles a week (omg I'm such an addict!). I wanted to find something cool to do with them, instead of just recycling, and I came across this nifty idea! I'm going to spray paint the outside of the bottles first to give them a bit of color, but I think they'll look cool as heck hanging on one side of my porch.

I also got some heirloom cotton seeds from Mr. Ket's mom that I am going to try and plant this year. Plus my mom's surprise sunflower seeds. Now to just make sure Mr. Ket waters everything while I'm gone for two weeks this summer.

What is everyone else getting ready to plant?

I love that bottle idea Ket. My SO planted a few things planted in the backyard - luckily he waited until after the crazy late chill we had. Not exactly sure what all he has planted. I'll have to ask him.

vysethethird

Quote from: Oreo on July 07, 2017, 03:02:20 PM
I love all my root veggies, beets, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, and celeriac. ;D I just don't have room to grow them all anymore. I like the beets because the leaves are more tender and sweet than chard.

Heh, I grow a good amount of beets, though am curious if you save the top leaves?

Ket

Finally got the greenhouse set up today. Tomorrow I fill it with seeds! We went from the 40's to the 70's pretty much overnight. We don't ease into spring here, it just appears. And you know it came late when on May 1st the hyacinths are just now peeking out. Don't mind all the empty pots, they'll be filled tomorrow!

Oreo

Quote from: vysethethird on April 27, 2018, 01:26:41 PM
Heh, I grow a good amount of beets, though am curious if you save the top leaves?
I go out and kind of graze the garden, a few leaves here and a few there, then add it to whatever I am making for dinner. Sometimes it is beet leaves and collards (I like the sweetness of them.) Chard is earthier as are all the different kale varieties I grow. I would get a picture, but nothing is big enough yet to show up...except the sugar peas. They are almost 3' tall now.

The beans are just starting to pop. The chives are blooming. The parsley is sending up their tall stalks getting ready to flower and seed. The sage is covered in purple buds.

The one unusual tree we have grew from a fallen seed. Not sure what we are going to get. The leaves of the tree are deep maroon/plum colored like a cherry plum tree, but the fruit that is popping is fuzzy like an apricot or peach O.o Some bees did something kinky to mah fruit trees.