You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 07, 2016, 08:28:43 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Girly Games!  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Demoness

Re: Girly Games!
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 11:41:42 PM »
What's "girly"? Is it everything that doesn't have a particularly masculine aesthetic? If so, I like those games. Is it only those games with the ridiculously stereotypical "everything is pink and soft and you're supposed to identify with the helpless princess who aspires to nothing more than domestic duties"? If so, I despise those games. I do tend to prefer a feminine aesthetic over a masculine one, but I don't always agree with others as to what is feminine and what is masculine. Stereotypes are silly.

Here's a game I like: Mighty Jill Off. It's by a female developer - does that make it girly? I think the aesthetic is feminine, though quite far from stereotypes of what femininity is. The gameplay is a rather pure expression of what games are: in this, it stands apart from mainstream popular games, which tend to focus on the older and more-completely-understood types of art that make up a game (graphics, story, etc).

By the way, it's free to download and play, and pretty short - I'd be curious what people here think of it.

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 10:46:43 AM »
Demoness, I've found (And I could be wrong, I admit) that most games that the stores consider for 'her' have a heavy romance aspect to them, or have little violence.

Games like the aforementioned Kingdom Hearts series, the Harvest Moon series, Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure, and frankly a fair amount of RPGs and the like.

Then again, most 'Games for Men' are usually the First Person Shooters.  Which unless have a good story, bore the living daylights out of me.

Offline ZK

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 11:12:29 AM »
I prefer games for "us" instead of "games for guys and games for girls". For example, the latest game Valkyria Chronicles I picked up has a little bit of everything, from romance plots, realistic characters and nice tactical based combat with WWII era type weapons and tanks merged with fantasy.

My tastes are varied and there is only so much gore and so much cutsie. I love a mix of all.

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 08:40:09 PM »
Personally, I don't make the distinction.  A game is a game, is a game.  If I find something about it I really like, I'll play it.

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 08:55:57 PM »
Wha! Wait! Harvest Moon is a 'girlie' game (Sorry Girly ain't a world...) Seemed awfully sexist to me actually. You couldn't actually play a girl until what? Game Cube, GBA? I thought it was more of a kiddie game.

Offline ZK

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
I thought it had freaky pedo overtones, as you get married, have children and your avatar looks like they're 10 years old. *scared*

But as I said earlier, Valkyria Chronicles is basically this, a war drama with a human element. AWESOME. ^.^

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2008, 09:30:29 PM »
My latest obsession is a puzzle game called Enigma.  Freeware, opensource, and infectious music for the win!

Offline Lilias

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2008, 09:59:31 AM »
Anything Sims (apart from Sim City). Although I got peeved that in Sims II you can't build the house from scratch. That was half the fun!

I haven't played in a couple of years, though. Way too addictive, if I started again. When I first installed it... well, you know those little pop-ups about how the game came to be, that start appearing after you spend 100 days in the house? I got to them on the first evening.

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2008, 11:46:02 AM »
My latest obsession is a puzzle game called Enigma.  Freeware, opensource, and infectious music for the win!

So...  Is there a link available?

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2008, 11:51:25 AM »
www.nongnu.org/enigma/

But of course ^^  Some of the levels are insanely easy, others are just insane.  I've had to skip over quite a few, but eventually I'll go back and look at them.

Offline Huntress

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2008, 01:58:07 PM »
DDR....Guitar Hero/Rockband...Super smash bros melee, and possibly mariokart. for the ye ol' nintendo 64.

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 01:06:02 PM »
Anything Sims (apart from Sim City). Although I got peeved that in Sims II you can't build the house from scratch. That was half the fun!

I haven't played in a couple of years, though. Way too addictive, if I started again. When I first installed it... well, you know those little pop-ups about how the game came to be, that start appearing after you spend 100 days in the house? I got to them on the first evening.
You can build you own house in the Sims 2. You have to place a blank lot wherever you can.